PDA

View Full Version : Becomming an American Citizen

Brutalis
01-13-2006, 07:43 AM
I've been trying to find out how exactly to become an American citizen. (not for me, i already am one hehe)

Say the person is from Canada, would it be easier since they are from there?

Can they move here, then aquire a visa and green card? Or is that illegal?

What steps need to be taken?

Websites say different things. Someone please clear it up for me.

travis2
01-13-2006, 07:49 AM
http://uscis.gov/graphics/services/natz/

Brutalis
01-13-2006, 07:51 AM
Yeah dude like I said that crap is pretty confusing.

I figured someone here must have common knowledge of this and could explain it in a simple way.

travis2
01-13-2006, 07:53 AM
You said "websites say different things", not confusing.

This is the group that actually controls this. No one else. If someone is saying something different than what this site says, I would venture to say they are wrong.

Brutalis
01-13-2006, 07:56 AM
Oops. Well confusing is basically what I meant.

Sigh. Nobody is gunna reply now. THANKS ALOOT!

Anyways. Yeah I read a lot of that before but, again, there has to be a short simple explaination.

And I might add, .pdf's seriously screw my cpu up for some reason. I don't know why cause other programs run fine.

travis2
01-13-2006, 08:04 AM
Well, let's see...

First they have to apply for permanent residence status.

Permanant residence page...http://uscis.gov/graphics/services/residency/index.htm

From the page you can see there are several categories.

Why does your friend/acquaintance want to move here?

Brutalis
01-13-2006, 08:06 AM
His girlfriend lives in the states and they been dating for 2 years now. They want to live together in the states.

travis2
01-13-2006, 08:13 AM
His girlfriend lives in the states and they been dating for 2 years now. They want to live together in the states.

Well, just being boyfriend/girlfriend won't do it, I don't think. Fiance/fiancee, another matter.

http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/fiance.htm

Does he have a job lined up in the US?

http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/ImmStatEmp.htm

Brutalis
01-13-2006, 08:19 AM
They do plan to wed. But they are 18, and 20.

Will our country even marry them? How is that even possible? Is it any different for them than normal citizens? I never knew you could be legally "engaged." Of course I don't know much about marraige at all except for to say I do and get your liscense.

No he doesnt have a job lined up. He comes from a rich family, and has plenty of $$$ to last him probably 2 years at most.

Brutalis
01-13-2006, 08:20 AM
i edited btw

travis2
01-13-2006, 08:29 AM
You're in Arkansas?

Brutalis
01-13-2006, 08:30 AM
I and she is, yes. He is living in Canada.

travis2
01-13-2006, 08:35 AM
Where in Arkansas?

Brutalis
01-13-2006, 08:36 AM
Would you rather speak on AIM or MSN Messanger? It would be easier.

North Little Rock.

katyon6th
01-13-2006, 08:38 AM
Arkansas has rules on marriage? :smokin

travis2
01-13-2006, 08:39 AM
Would you rather speak on AIM or MSN Messanger? It would be easier.

North Little Rock.

Can't. At work, not available.

I was just checking.

My advice would be to contact the District Sub-Office/Application Service Center in Ft. Smith. They should be able to tell you/your friend everything you need to know.

travis2
01-13-2006, 08:41 AM
There's also a nationwide 1-800 number (not vouching for its usefulness)...

1 (800) 375-5283

Brutalis
01-13-2006, 08:42 AM
That's what I am trying to avoid. I am know very very little about the subject and didnt want to speak to an annoyed person on the phone while I play 20 questions.

Blah.

Brutalis
01-13-2006, 08:42 AM
Is that number free of charge or do you know?

travis2
01-13-2006, 08:44 AM
1-800 numbers are free.

Brutalis
01-13-2006, 08:45 AM
Oh. Thanks.

Brutalis
01-13-2006, 08:48 AM
"Hunny this number isnt to ask questions please call someone local"

OOOOOkay. No help there.

travis2
01-13-2006, 08:53 AM
Well, I did say I wasn't vouching for its usefulness...

Although the site says this about that number..."Call customer service toll free at 1 (800) 375-5283 for information and help on matters concerning immigration services and benefits." Sounds like the place to ask questions to me...

Sounds to me like you're stuck with trying the Ft. Smith office. Sorry...

Brutalis
01-13-2006, 08:58 AM
Yeah.

I feel bad for her. She's crying now, seeing how difficult this is. How can they get married if he isnt even freaking allowed to stay in the country. He has a passport but does that mean he can stay for some sort of time period?

They made these laws really difficult. I see why but, they are just in love, they can't help it.

I don't understand why he can't just come here, and they get married. Why do they have to go through so many documents JUST to get married? I know people try to do this just to get citizenship but, he doesnt want that. THEY JUST want to be together somehow.

I feel so bad.

travis2
01-13-2006, 09:03 AM
I'm sorry...:(

Brutalis
01-13-2006, 09:07 AM
I don't know what to do for her now.

Do you know off the top of your head the limit a non-citizen can legally stay in the states with just a passport?

travis2
01-13-2006, 09:10 AM
I am not positive. My first guess is 90 days...but it might be as long as 180.

Brutalis
01-13-2006, 09:13 AM
Then that leaves enough time to be engaged and wed. Even 90 days.

That is, if they can just get married, then he go for his legal documents. A little confused exactly on that here. (http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/fiance.htm)

travis2
01-13-2006, 09:16 AM
http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/vacation/kbyg/documentary_req.xml

According to this, there is currently no impediment to a Canadian citizen entering the US. It's probably as confusing as the other stuff, but there's hope...

travis2
01-13-2006, 09:20 AM
http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/id_visa/req_canada_mexico.xml

Brutalis
01-13-2006, 09:21 AM
Well, we know that much. As he has entered America over 10 times, but no longer than a week at a time because they just don't know how long he can stay.

I'm still looking for the # of days a Canadian citizen is allowed to be in the USA.

I really appreciate your help and you must be getting fed up with me AYE? Lmao.

Brutalis
01-13-2006, 09:22 AM
Okay I was in the midst of replying and didnt see your above post.

I think it says 6 months but that text is too small to read.

Brutalis
01-13-2006, 09:23 AM
I really have no idea LMAO I cannot make out that text. Shyat.

travis2
01-13-2006, 09:26 AM
Not annoyed at all.

Found something...

Question
Documents required by Canadian Citizens/Residents/Landed Immigrant to enter the U.S. and how long can they stay?

Answer
Canadian citizens generally are not required to have a visa or a passport and may visit the U.S. for up to 6 months. However, Canadians must be able to prove their identity and citizenship to enter the United States. CBP will accept either a birth certificate, citizenship certificate or passport as proof of citizenship. If the Canadian citizen does not have any of these because they were lost or stolen, we emphasize that the burden of proof is on the traveler to prove that they are Candian citizens. Copies of correspondence requesting a replacement of documents, etc. might be accepted, but it is up to the CBP officer to determine whether or not such paperwork meets that burden of proof. Canadians coming as a Treaty Trader (and family), Fiances/Fiancees (and their children)and spouses and children of legal permanent residents are required to have a visa to enter the U.S.

Canadians may also apply for an additional stay of 6 months with the USCIS.

Residents of Canada who are landed immigrants generally need a passport and visa to enter the United States, unless they are a citizen of a country eligible for the Visa Waiver Program (VWP). If they are a citizen of a country eligible for the VWP, they are only required to have their valid passport. To obtain a list of countries eligible for the VWP, please reference the Department of State Web site at www.state.gov.

Also, Native American Indians born in Canada with at least 50% American Indian blood are exempt from having a visa and passport to enter the U.S. They should have their tribial identity card to present to the CBP officer. The burden of proof is always on the applicant.

There is no set period of time Canadians must wait to re-enter the U.S. after the end of their stay, but if it appears to the CBP officer that the person applying for entry is spending more time over-all in the U.S. than in Canada, it will be up to the traveler to prove to the officer that they are not de-facto U.S. residents. One of the ways to do this is demonstrate significant ties to their home country, including proof of employment, residency, etc.

Rita929
01-13-2006, 09:27 AM
whenever you enter the states they stamp your passport--all he has to do is check that stamp (its a standard stamp)--it gives a max length of stay :spin

Brutalis
01-13-2006, 09:32 AM
Awesome!

Six whole months!

And if they are having problems getting married (that is if they cant get married like normal Americans), then all he has to do is go back for a couple days and get a new bus or plane ticket (rountrip) and return. And if they happend to get stopped by a cop and they question his stay here. All he has to do is inform the cop of the laws and show the dates he left and returned on a ticket proving he did not violate national laws.

That is AWESOME news. Although I'm not 100% of what I said above, it would fool any pig.

Thanks so much man. It is GREATLY appreciated! You have made her smile like a monkey on crack! Lmao.

Brutalis
01-13-2006, 09:33 AM
whenever you enter the states they stamp your passport--all he has to do is check that stamp (its a standard stamp)--it gives a max length of stay :spin
Well, he just got his passport last week. And he had been coming in through his birth certificate and birth registration card that proves citizenship.

Do you know anything about my post above? About leaving and coming right back and if that is legal?

travis2
01-13-2006, 09:34 AM
Glad to help. :) Good luck.

Brutalis
01-13-2006, 09:37 AM
What's the difference between a visa, and a passport. My whole life I thought they were the same thing.

travis2
01-13-2006, 09:48 AM
A passport is issued by the country of citizenship. A visa is issued by the country of entry.

Your friend's friend would get a passport from Canada and a visa from the US.

travis2
01-13-2006, 09:51 AM
More formally...

Difference Between Passport & Visa

PASSPORT
A U.S. passport is a formal document given to you by the United States' government as official proof of U.S. citizenship. Depending upon your citizenship, you may need a different country's passport. (It's the little blue book with a lot of pages in it.)

VISA
A visa is an endorsement or stamp placed on a page in your passport by a foreign government giving you permission to enter and stay in that country for a specified period of time. Depending on your country of citizenship and your host government, you may or may not need a visa. Go to the Consulate Directory to check the details of your specific country's consulate.

travis2
01-13-2006, 09:52 AM
Which brings up another point...your friend's friend could also ask the question through the Canadian consulate...it's not their law, but they may know what the hurdles are...

Brutalis
01-13-2006, 09:56 AM
I see. So while in the USA he would apply for a visa to be wed? Or to basically try to make his stay perminant?

I wonder if a passport is required. He has one, but I wonder if it's needed other than to just enter the states. (help enter the states anyways)

It's actually kinda cool to learn this stuff. Pretty intresting to me. I wonder why that other site said you had 90 days to get married. Do you understand what that means, cause that other place said you can stay 6 months.

And please don't stick around if you become bored of this. Lmao.

Brutalis
01-13-2006, 09:57 AM
Which brings up another point...your friend's friend could also ask the question through the Canadian consulate...it's not their law, but they may know what the hurdles are...
All they told him was, contact American offices. He said they won't get into specifics because they are either not sure or don't care. Lmao.

travis2
01-13-2006, 10:07 AM
I see. So while in the USA he would apply for a visa to be wed? Or to basically try to make his stay perminant?

I wonder if a passport is required. He has one, but I wonder if it's needed other than to just enter the states. (help enter the states anyways)

It's actually kinda cool to learn this stuff. Pretty intresting to me. I wonder why that other site said you had 90 days to get married. Do you understand what that means, cause that other place said you can stay 6 months.

And please don't stick around if you become bored of this. Lmao.

Basically try to make his stay permanent. From what I read, your friend can apply for a K-1 visa for him (he can't do it...she has to do it for him). Once granted, they have 90 days to get married. It's 90 days because that's what the law says. *shrug*

After they're married, he can be granted conditional permanent residency for 2 years. (I think she has to apply for that too...)

Citizenship can't be applied for until he's been a permanent resident for 5 years. It's unclear to me whether the 2 years conditional applies to that or not...my feeling is no, but don't take my word for it.

travis2
01-13-2006, 10:08 AM
All they told him was, contact American offices. He said they won't get into specifics because they are either not sure or don't care. Lmao.

Probably the first. It's not their law, and they don't want to be held responsible for giving out bogus info.

Brutalis
01-13-2006, 10:20 AM
Thanks. You're giving me enough info to pass along so they know what to do and what's legal and what's not. I'll make sure they know the rest could be different once talking to an official about it.

The reason I keep mentioning his passport is because he lost it. And he is freaking about it. I'll have to find out if the passport plays any role is any of this. I'm not sure.

Brutalis
01-13-2006, 10:29 AM
Lmao this is kinda funny but. He is also wanting to get his GED in the states, (Arkansas), he never finished high school. (rich kids go figure)

Are you aware of any regulations preventing him to do this?

travis2
01-13-2006, 10:40 AM
It might be a good idea for him to get it replaced...but right now it's probably not critical as long as he has acceptable ID to get into the country. It shouldn't be anything to freak out about...just go to the consulate and apply for a replacement and pay the fee.

More worrysome about losing a passport is the personal ID involved.

GED...don't know, but I don't see why not...

Brutalis
01-13-2006, 10:42 AM
It might be a good idea for him to get it replaced...but right now it's probably not critical as long as he has acceptable ID to get into the country. It shouldn't be anything to freak out about...just go to the consulate and apply for a replacement and pay the fee.

More worrysome about losing a passport is the personal ID involved.

GED...don't know, but I don't see why not...

Well he claims he lost it in the laundry. He has 3 credit cards he had canceled, but I don't think they have that info on a passport. :rolleyes

Yeah you would think our country would love to get a kid a GED since they talk about education so much.

Thanks!

Kori Ellis
01-13-2006, 11:40 AM
Since they are from Canada, come to America on their passport with a traveling visa.

Apply for "work authorization".

Work authorization will be granted for six to a year normally.

While they are living here on work authorization, apply for Permanent Residency.

If their Residency is granted during the time they are on Work Authorization, then they are good to go. They can just sit on Residency and apply for citizen and stay here.

If their Work Authorization expires before they get Residency, then they'll have to get it renewed to stay here (or go back to Canada and start all over by coming on a traveling visa again).

hicksi
01-13-2006, 04:08 PM
Arkansas has rules on marriage? :smokin
What? No men marrying Stallions? Mares are OK though?

Brutalis
01-13-2006, 07:24 PM
With a traveling visa?

See that's what we are still confused about. How can he get a visa while in Canada? He can't come here, then get one?

Kori Ellis
01-13-2006, 07:41 PM
How I understand it, he doesn't need a visa if he doesn't intend on working or studying here. He can just come for six months and do nothing.

But if he plans on staying, then I believe he has to get a visa, so he can then get permission to work, then get permanent residency, then get his citizenship.

If he needs a visa, he can get it from the US Embassy in Canada.

Kori Ellis
01-13-2006, 07:44 PM
Canadian Nationals must show ID but are exempt from passport and visa requirements. However presentation of a Canadian passport, birth certificate, Naturalization certificate or other supporting documentation will facilitate the inspection and is strongly encouraged.

Brutalis
01-13-2006, 08:12 PM
???

He already enters and leaves fine that's not the problem.

I think I confused you or I confused myself. Blah.

Kori Ellis
01-13-2006, 08:13 PM
I'm just saying that he can come here without a visa if he doesn't plan on working/studying or staying. If he is going to work, he needs to get a visa so he can get temporarily employment authorization, then eventually permanent resident, then citizenship.

Isn't that what you are asking?

Brutalis
01-13-2006, 08:19 PM
Hmm I dunno.

He isn't going to work here. No.

They want= him to come here. They get married, file for the k-1 card so he can stay. And my question was, does he HAVE to have a passport? Cant they just get married and file for the k-1 visa for 2 year residency so he can stay after they are married?

Sorry I am being confusing but I know little of the subject and am explaining best I can.

Brutalis
01-13-2006, 08:23 PM
I still need find out about this marraige thing, if they can just get married like normal people. Or if they got to go through another damn process.

Kori Ellis
01-13-2006, 08:25 PM
Regardless of the country in which your fiancee resides, the K1 FIANCEE VISA is the only proper visa for her to use to enter the U.S. for the purpose of marriage. If she enters the US on another type of visa, visa waiver, or other means you can certainly legally marry her. However, she will then need to depart the U.S., obtain a K3 spousal visa at the U.S. Consulate in her country of residence and reenter the U.S. on the K3 visa in order to be able to remain in the U.S. permanently as your spouse.

Kori Ellis
01-13-2006, 08:25 PM
I think that answers your question.

Brutalis
01-13-2006, 08:36 PM
You mean he and her. I'm just trying to help my friends out here.

You lost me at "he will need to depart the usa, obtain a k3 spousal visa, reenter"

but. I thought the girl, American girl, will have to file the k1? And not him being Canadian? I am totally confused blah. So HE has to file for a k1 visa while he's in Canada?

They can't do this while he is here?

Kori Ellis
01-13-2006, 08:37 PM
I didn't put the "he/she" - I just copied it from a site.

The girl (American) has to file the K1.

Brutalis
01-13-2006, 08:38 PM
Okay here is something I should have mentioned.

If he does any of this, his parents will kick him out and he won't have anywhere to go live or stay in Canada. He will be strandid. So this is why everything is hard for them.

Brutalis
01-13-2006, 08:43 PM
Ahh I get it. I think it just clicked in my head.

Long day. Heh.

Thanks Kori.

Kori Ellis
01-13-2006, 08:45 PM
There's some income requirement for the K1. She has to be 125% above the poverty line.

Brutalis
01-13-2006, 08:49 PM
Eh, that's not good. Considering I just found out he isnt as rich as he lead on. It's his parents money.

So it looks like this isnt happening for them now. I dont know. When he is here for the 6 months they will have to goto Memphis offices and talk to immigration on what they can do I guess.

I can't believe they are controlling marraige like that. If they want to get married, they should be able to. Any immigration officer could see they are in love. It's not some scam.

Blah!

Brutalis
01-13-2006, 08:57 PM
If anyone knows more about this please reply.

Especially about what exactly the povery line and 125% is.

Crap.

Brutalis
01-13-2006, 09:08 PM
Me and her are going to call Memphis tomorrow and work this out. Or Monday when the offices are open.

I wonder if it would be easier for her just to move to Canada. I bet anything it is.

Kori Ellis
01-13-2006, 09:10 PM
http://www.visaservice.com/K-1-visa.shtml

That page has all the info.

SequSpur
01-13-2006, 09:12 PM
becoming

Brutalis
01-13-2006, 09:20 PM
http://www.visaservice.com/K-1-visa.shtml

That page has all the info.
You are the freaking Queen. Screw being a Princess!

Brutalis
01-13-2006, 09:22 PM
becoming
Manu.