PDA

View Full Version : McCarthy cleans house, fires eight

vincerodriguez23
01-13-2006, 08:38 PM
Damn, first day on the job and he burned 8 coaches and staff members, including the strength and conditioning coach and the weight room assistant. good luck to those guys.

MILWAUKEE -- Green Bay Packers coach Mike McCarthy on Friday released six assistant coaches and two staff members in his first full day on the job.

Defensive coordinator Jim Bates, who interviewed for the head coaching job on Monday, was not among them and could stay with the team. Bates, who was supposed to meet with McCarthy on Friday, did not immediately return a telephone call from The Associated Press.

"He's a man I respect, and the job he did this past year speaks for itself," McCarthy said Thursday. "I'd love to opportunity to sit down and see if we could work out the possibility of him working here."

Bates would have been a popular pick among Packers players to succeed Mike Sherman, who was fired Jan. 2 after the team's worst season in 15 years. In his first year as the Packers' defensive coordinator, Bates engineered a modest turnaround.

Green Bay had the league's 25th-ranked defense in 2004 and lost veteran safety Darren Sharper to free agency in the offseason. Despite injuries to key players this season, the Packers allowed an average of 293.1 yards per game, seventh-best in the league.

"I would love to see Jim Bates back again," linebacker Nick Barnett said Thursday. "He's an excellent coach."

Among those released Friday: Secondary/safeties coach Joe Baker, offensive line coach Larry Beightol, special teams coordinator John Bonamego, linebackers coach Mark Duffner, offensive coordinator Tom Rossley and strength and conditioning coach Barry Rubin.

The team also released director of football administration Bruce Warwick and weight room assistant Vince Workman.

Four other Packers assistants had already left the team for new jobs.

scott
01-14-2006, 08:31 AM
You except a vetern coach with the experience of Mike McCarthy to want to come in and build his own staff. When you've been a head coach as long as Mike McCarthy, you really know what you are looking for in a staff and don't have to time to fool around with the old riff-raff. Superbowl winning coaches like Mike McCarthy...

Huh?