PDA

View Full Version : Ludden: Humbled Spurs look to regroup

Kori Ellis
01-14-2006, 01:28 AM
Humbled Spurs look to regroup

Web Posted: 01/14/2006 12:00 AM CST
Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA011406.1C.BKNspurs.grizzlies.222a8a53.html

A little more than 12 hours after being humbled by Detroit for the second time in three weeks, the Spurs gathered at their practice facility Friday morning to discuss what worked (their defense), what didn't (their rebounding, free-throw shooting, 3-point shooting and anything else that involved throwing a ball through a hoop) and how they should proceed.

They arrived at this sunny conclusion: They don't have to worry about the Pistons embarrassing them again until June, if even then.

"We don't care about Detroit now," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. "We care about the lessons we learned. We'll try to apply those ... to try to be the best team in the West."

In doing so, Popovich also appears poised to make at least one personnel change: Manu Ginobili, who worked with the first team in Friday's short practice, is expected to return to the starting lineup as soon as tonight's game against Memphis.

Ginobili has come off the bench the previous eight games (averaging 16.3 points on 52 percent shooting) after missing two weeks with a sprained right foot. His minutes have gradually increased during that time, culminating with the 29 he played Thursday.

Michael Finley has started the previous 16 games in Ginobili's place. He initially shot well after taking over the position but has since struggled, going a combined 29 for 90 (32.2 percent) over the past 10 games.

Finley missed all four of his shots in Thursday's loss and failed to score for the first time this season. His 19 minutes also matched a season-low.

Not that Finley was alone in his struggles. Ginobili missed nine shots, and the Spurs, as a team, connected on only two of their 13 3-point attempts.

Tim Duncan, whose effectiveness has fluctuated depending on how his right foot feels, and Tony Parker combined to miss 10 free throws, further hindering the team's comeback attempts. Rasho Nesterovic grabbed three rebounds in 24 minutes.

While the Spurs' offense certainly needs some work — their 68 points were their fewest at home in almost nine years — Popovich didn't think poor ball movement was the primary cause of the team's struggles against Detroit.

"Tony would have had 10 or 15 assists last night had people made shots," he said.

Nor did the Spurs find much fault with their defense. Detroit averaged 84 points on 42.8 percent shooting in its two victories over the Spurs — numbers, Popovich said, that should have been "good enough for us to win."

The Spurs, however, didn't measure up quite so favorably on the boards. In the two games combined, the Pistons outrebounded them 113-62. On Thursday, the Spurs had only four offensive rebounds to Detroit's 16.

"The good news is we have a long time to take care of that," Popovich said. "We'll face it, we'll work at it and we'll get better."

Popovich didn't show the players film of Thursday's loss in part because they won't face Detroit again unless the teams meet in the NBA Finals. Watching the game in person also had already told the Spurs all they needed to know about the sizeable gap between them and the Pistons.

"It was an eye-opener," Finley said. Parker preferred a different cliché.

"I think we needed some motivation," he said. "The fact they beat us twice very badly is a wake-up call."

The Grizzlies, who also play host to the Spurs on Monday, should provide another stiff test the next two games.

"We still have the best record in the West, so we can't panic," Finley said. "But I think everybody on the team knows we need to get better. And what better time than now?"

milkyway21
01-14-2006, 01:46 AM

Web Posted: 01/14/2006 12:00 AM CST
Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA011406.1C.BKNspurs.grizzlies.222a8a53.html

In doing so, Popovich also appears poised to make at least one personnel change: Manu Ginobili, who worked with the first team in Friday's short practice, is expected to return to the starting lineup as soon as tonight's game against Memphis.

Bravo!

and please WATCH-out MIKE MILLER, who is playing maybe the best basketball of his career right now

Miller vs Sacramento

triple double 21 pts, 10 rbds, 10 assts.

last night vs. NJ Nets

18 pts; 16 rbs 4 assts.

note:and Memphis held VC:cat to a pt low in scoring of 14 pts. (which the Spurs failed to do in their last meeting -when VC scored 33 pts).

and we already lost to Memphis this season and they also embarrassed fellow div rival Mavericks, anything is possible.

Go Spurs!

T Park
01-14-2006, 01:56 AM
Talk is cheap.

angel_luv
01-14-2006, 02:00 AM
Yea Manu!

Vinnie_Johnson
01-14-2006, 02:34 AM

"I think we needed some motivation," he said. "The fact they beat us twice very badly is a wake-up call."

WTF ????? :drunk :drunk

SouthernFried
01-14-2006, 06:45 AM
"Pop didn't show player's the film of Thursday's loss..."

I think they should watch that game at least once a week...for the rest of the year.

It ain't about the Pistons..it's about finding your weak points, and working on them. This game highlighted, more than any other game this year... every weak point we've noticed since the beginning of the season.

From poor rebounding, lousy offensive sets, bad assists, absolutely no movement on offense, lousy free throw shooting, etc...This game highlighted everything the Spurs need to work on.

Compare the games you've played during the week...to this game, and note improvements, or lack thereof.

This could be the best game for the Spurs all year...if Pop would use it.

ducks
01-14-2006, 09:10 AM
10 assist

but tony sucked against pistons
I agree he could have gotten more rebounds
and missed free throws

bdubya
01-14-2006, 12:34 PM
I think they should watch that game at least once a week...for the rest of the year.

I know I plan to.
:elephant

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-14-2006, 01:17 PM
While the Spurs' offense certainly needs some work — their 68 points were their fewest at home in almost nine years — Popovich didn't think poor ball movement was the primary cause of the team's struggles against Detroit.

Denial. Can't wait for that to bite us in the ass in the Finals when for some reason 4down and isos for Tony and Manu aren't working out.

angel_luv
01-14-2006, 01:26 PM
I know I plan to.
:elephant

:lol

Despot
01-14-2006, 01:42 PM
Fire Pop!

Despot
01-14-2006, 01:51 PM
You know, as much as I hate to say it, the best thing that could happen to the Spurs is if they lose the next 2 games. I have been hearing all these qoutes from them all season, and it seems like they are saying what they are supposed to say, and just going through the motions. They keep saying "We need to get better" & "We are going to get better" and it's happening very slowly. And Pop, I don't know, someone must be slipping tranquilizers in his wine, way too calm and forgiving.

slayermin
01-14-2006, 02:22 PM
Talk is cheap.

But bulletts are cheaper.