PDA

View Full Version : Amare Stoudemire: Targeting March Return

ducks
01-14-2006, 03:01 PM
Amare Stoudemire: Targeting March Return

RotoWire.com Staff - RotoWire.com
Saturday, January 14, 2006
Update: Stoudemire (knee) told ESPN.com on Friday that he doesn't expect to play his first real game until sometime in March. "Right now, we're looking at about two months out," Stoudemire said following a rehab session for his surgically repaired left knee.

Recommendation: If you held onto Stoudemire, hoping for that February return that was bandied about when he underwent microfracture surgery Oct. 11, your thinking should change with this news. On the optimistic side, Stoudemire will need a couple of weeks beyond his return to get into game shape -- and maybe more as athletes don't come back from this type of surgery and compete at high levels right away. And who knows what his production will be like in the final month of the season.

JMarkJohns
01-14-2006, 04:03 PM
Better safe than sorry. He and the Suns will need 20 games to figure each other out. I'm hopeful, but not optimistic about this season. I think they are better suited to compete, but think next year, after another MLE-type player and two first-rounders (few draft as well as Phoenix) are added to Nash, Barbosa, Jones, Bell, Diaw, Marion, Amare and Thomas is the year they make a legit Finals run.

They may end up spending a good portion of their MLE to resign House, who has a player option at year's end. I would. Then draft a player like Paul Davis with their mid-first (lakers or celtics) and a solid wing like Hassan Adams or Brandon Roy with their late-first.

Bruno
01-14-2006, 07:16 PM
Better safe than sorry. He and the Suns will need 20 games to figure each other out.

I'll be very curious to see how Suns will play this year if amare come back.
I remember that it wasn't easy for Wolves with Wally in 03-04. Marion and Nash are still here but all others rotation players are new. (Barbosa doesn't play the same way this year than last year(if I've well understand))

Rummpd
01-14-2006, 08:01 PM
The Suns with Amare back at even 85% are a scary proposition.

What i admire about that franchise (and Dallas to a lessor extent) is that they went out and got the type of players to make them serious contenders to the Spurs.

Spurs need to step it up period.

boutons_
01-14-2006, 08:03 PM
Scariest proposition is the Spurs playing like disinterested, unconfident, flummoxed shit.

JMarkJohns
01-14-2006, 08:32 PM
The reason I believe it will only take 20 games, is the Suns still run a lot of screens and pic-n-rolls with Nash, House and Diaw.

That was the main offense last season with Nash and Johnson.

They'll have to get used to the low-post aspect, but Amare was about 50% Pic-n-roll, 35% low-post, 15% open jumpers. It'll be interesting.

pjjrfan
01-15-2006, 08:19 AM
I like the guy, I think he has tremoundous skills, and is hungry, enough that I think in time he will become a better defensive player also. But, he should just sit out the year and get completely healed before he makes a return. I know Nash isn't getting any younger, but putting him back into any grind let alone an NBA grind to me isn't smart business, not when you can be assured if the surgery was successful he will come back just as strong with a full summer of re hab work. They just made a major investment in the guy, who is worth it, take care of him. He's going to be around for a long time why risk it all on 2 or 3 months of play from him just to see if they can compete for a title, which I don't think they will.

Brutalis
01-15-2006, 09:23 AM
Well, if Amare thinks he can come back and beat us in a playoff series the only thing he will accomplish is reinjuring himself because of being ran so hard out of the building.

Ahehe. :)

mike detroit
01-15-2006, 10:39 AM
they better hope he comes back, they're a joke without him

Brutalis
01-15-2006, 10:42 AM
they better hope he comes back, they're a joke without him
:lol :lol :lol

:rolleyes

leemajors
01-15-2006, 11:01 AM
at least they are sounding more realistic now. i imagine he started running this week and reality hit. this injury is no joke and i am glad they are at least taking it slower.

mike detroit
01-15-2006, 11:15 AM
:lol :lol :lol

:rolleyes

laugh all you want, they have a decent record, but they're not at anywhere near pistons/spurs level. can you honestly say that phoenix scares you at all?

Brutalis
01-15-2006, 11:17 AM
laugh all you want, they have a decent record, but they're not at anywhere near pistons/spurs level. can you honestly say that phoenix scares you at all?

Yes I can.

Because as soon as you lose respect for a good team they will turn around and beat your ass for it.

Sort of like the Pistons letting down the last 7 minutes of game 7. Not that it had anything to do with respect but rather taking something lightly gets you BURNED in the end.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
01-15-2006, 12:10 PM
Yes I can.

Because as soon as you lose respect for a good team they will turn around and beat your ass for it.

Sort of like the Pistons letting down the last 7 minutes of game 7. Not that it had anything to do with respect but rather taking something lightly gets you BURNED in the end.

I'd say the Spurs flat out outplayed the Pistons in the last 7 minutes. I don't think they laid down at all...

JMarkJohns
01-15-2006, 12:12 PM
Mike Detroit, this "joke of a team" is two shots away from being a perfect 3-0 vs. the Pistons and Spurs this year. Sure, they are 1-2, but they battled despite some devestating injuries. They play hard, can shoot and have offensive balance. They have flaws, but for a joke, they are the ones that are doing most of the laughing. 8-2 in their last 10 games, with both losses being triple OT road defeats and wins over San Antonio, Miami and Cleveland.

Nice to know the best team in the League can't even get up to beat the Jazz. Not even once.

Vingianx
01-15-2006, 03:09 PM
That's Why Phoenix Has The Rings....

AND WHAT WILL THESE GAMES MEAN IN THE PLAYOFFS?

YOU SAW WHAT THE SPURS DID TO THE SUNS IN THEIR OWN HOMECOURT...

JMarkJohns
01-15-2006, 08:35 PM
That's Why Phoenix Has The Rings....

AND WHAT WILL THESE GAMES MEAN IN THE PLAYOFFS?

YOU SAW WHAT THE SPURS DID TO THE SUNS IN THEIR OWN HOMECOURT...

LMAO... yeah, because last year is this year because all things are assured to repeat :rolleyes

Enough with the "We're the Spurs, it's are right to be Champion" talk.

It really holds no basis in this thread. It wasn't even mentioned prior to your moronic post. But then, my guess is any rational discussion is wasted on the likes of you, being that you're probably one of the overly zealous types who really, truly believe that the Spurs win, because you root for them. Let me remind you... the Spurs would be Champions whether you are alive or dead. You play no part in them winning. I'm guessing you wouldn't even frequent this board if they lost. Be gone, bandwagon.

boutons_
01-15-2006, 08:43 PM
I guess Amare coming back could be disruptive, with Kurt at C, Amare coming in at PF, and Shawn moving to SF, and Boris moving to the bench.

WGAF. For the next 6 or 7 weeks, my concerns are the Spurs injuries,
not the Suns problems in late March.