PDA

View Full Version : Seattle Times: Hill might be losing the faith and trust of several players

blaze89
01-15-2006, 11:57 PM
Sonics show little L.A. effort
By Percy Allen
Seattle Times staff reporter

LOS ANGELES — With the losses mounting like a pile of dirty laundry and their second coach just as flummoxed as the first to solve their defensive woes, the Sonics, who stood in the crosshairs of the Los Angeles Clippers, are at a crossroad.

Not only is Bob Hill losing games at a faster rate than his predecessor, Bob Weiss, but Hill might be losing the faith and trust of several players as signs of insubordination have arisen in the past few days.

Already without co-captain Ray Allen, the Sonics left reserve forward Danny Fortson and center Vitaly Potapenko in Seattle and Reggie Evans returned from a three-day absence, but remained on the bench during a 98-72 defeat in front of 18,099 at Staples Center on Saturday night.

A team spokesman said Evans did not play because of an upper-respiratory illness. However, team sources indicated he was healthy enough to play and staged a miniprotest last week when failing to check in after flying to Chicago to attend the funeral of his girlfriend's mother.

Hill acknowledged Evans might be upset because of a demotion and reduced role, but described their meeting on Saturday as amicable.

When asked if any punishment would be meted out, Hill deferred questions to general manager Rick Sund, who did not return a message.

"They've got my number, if they were so concerned with where I was at, why didn't they call me?" Evans said. "I know what Bob Hill is saying, but I'm saying they've got my number and could have reached me if they wanted to."

The he-said, he-said silliness between Hill and Evans underscores the bizarre happenings surrounding the Sonics.

Allen sat out the second game of a two-game suspension for fighting, Potapenko (strained lower back) and Fortson (sore left knee) underwent MRI exams. Potapenko's results revealed no serious damage, and Fortson's were unavailable.

Hill admitted that since replacing Weiss 12 days ago, his new team has directly and indirectly challenged his authority.

"That happens every day across the league, so of course that's going to happen to some degree," Hill said. "The one thing that these guys are going to have to come to grips with is that it doesn't matter how our team is built, if you're supposed to win the division or whatever you're supposed to do.

"The most important thing is to build your chemistry, the harmony and the character on the team."

Once heralded for their unity when they won 52 games and the Northwest Division last season, the Sonics have spiraled into a splintered and squabbling bunch, who often appear disinterested during games.

Equally distressing is the fact the defeats are starting to look the same and Saturday's loss, the fifth in six games, was one of the worst for Seattle (15-22).

Rashard Lewis finished with 22 points on 6-for-11 shooting, Ronald Murray had 14 points and Damien Wilkins had 13 points and 10 rebounds.

Chris Kaman scored a season-high-tying 25 points on 10-for-12 shooting, and Sam Cassell scored 24 for Los Angeles.

Seattle Times (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/sonics/2002741329_soni15.html)

mikejones99
01-16-2006, 01:27 AM
Seattle gave up when they let coach Nate Mcmillan, AD and Jerome James go. Some players are insane though. How can an average player turn down 42 million dollars, Vladamere, Spree, etc?

exstatic
01-17-2006, 08:50 AM
Seattle gave up when they let coach Nate Mcmillan, AD and Jerome James go. Some players are insane though. How can an average player turn down 42 million dollars, Vladamere, Spree, etc?
Spree was on the downside, but Vlad is on the rise, and will get more on the open market. If he's perceived as average, it's because he doesn't start.

Rummpd
01-18-2006, 12:21 PM
Give Hill the rest of the season then good riddance unless he shows something he has not so far.