PDA

View Full Version : Chat with Bruce Bowen

Despot
01-16-2006, 12:20 PM
http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=10491

Welcome to The Show! On Monday, San Antonio Spur small forward Bruce Bowen will stop by to take your questions on the Spurs season and more!
Bowen is averaging 7.7 points per game and 3.7 rebounds in helping the Spurs to a 27-9 record and first place in the Southwest division.

Send your questions now and join Bruce in The Show on Monday at 1:30 p.m. ET.

See Bowen in action as the Spurs visit the Heat on Friday (8 p.m. ET, ESPN)

Despot
01-16-2006, 12:41 PM
Anyone think of any good questions to ask him?
Does he want to be in the 3 point shooting competition?
What does he think we need to do to match the Pistons intensity?

The one thing I like about ESPN are these chats, when they have guests the answers seem to be more honest and open, as opposed to a TV interview when most people just give the same old scripted answers.

Sportman
01-16-2006, 12:51 PM
Anyone think of any good questions to ask him?

Yes i have one, BUSH or FIDEL and why??

Despot
01-16-2006, 12:54 PM
Silly Sportman, Bush and Fidel are the same person

TMTTRIO
01-16-2006, 01:22 PM
Speaking of an interview with Bruce, Manu's going to be interviewing him in the next few days :spin .

angel_luv
01-16-2006, 01:37 PM
How cool!

midgetonadonkey
01-16-2006, 01:39 PM
He answered my question.

Steven (San Antonio, TX): How has the birth of your first child changed your outlook on the game and how has it effected it?

SportsNation Bruce Bowen: (1:37 PM ET ) It hasn't changed it a whole lot. I'm just more aware of the way my actions are perceived. At some point you have to convey to your child that things don't always go your way and there's a good way to handle it, and that's what I want to show him on the court

LilMissSPURfect
01-16-2006, 01:39 PM
hope my question gets on.....i asked him if he was going to be guarding at the 3 point shoot out? :angel :spin

LilMissSPURfect
01-16-2006, 01:41 PM
He answered my question.

Steven (San Antonio, TX): How has the birth of your first child changed your outlook on the game and how has it effected it?

SportsNation Bruce Bowen: (1:37 PM ET ) It hasn't changed it a whole lot. I'm just more aware of the way my actions are perceived. At some point you have to convey to your child that things don't always go your way and there's a good way to handle it, and that's what I want to show him on the court

wayyyyy cool!

polandprzem
01-16-2006, 01:48 PM
przem (Poland): What are the spurs players do when they are having a day off? (You , Tim , Manu, Tony)

Bruce Bowen: (1:42 PM ET ) A lot of times we get away from the game a little. A day is enough time to spend time with family, take care of your body and do things you can't at other times becuse of practice and travel.

cool but not quiet satisfied

T Park
01-16-2006, 01:52 PM
cool but not quiet satisfied

Not to be rude, but it's honestly none of anyone's business.

polandprzem
01-16-2006, 01:59 PM
Not to be rude, but it's honestly none of anyone's business.

You tend to rude just like that, so your "Not to be rude" is not on right place.
:makemyday ?

T Park
01-16-2006, 02:01 PM
Just being honest.

Sorry if honesty is something the polish hate.

angel_luv
01-16-2006, 02:01 PM
what is the link to see his answers or do you have to join something?

angel_luv
01-16-2006, 02:10 PM
Can someone please see if Bruce answered the question from me (Angel)? I asked him about road trips with the team.

ShoogarBear
01-16-2006, 02:14 PM
I found this one:

angel (San Antonio, TX): Rasho is sooooo dreamy. What's he like in real life? What does he look for in a woman?

SportsNation Bruce Bowen (1:45 PM ET): Um, Rasho looks for a woman with a cute brother, if you know what I mean . . . .

Pistons < Spurs
01-16-2006, 02:15 PM
what is the link to see his answers or do you have to join something?

Yeah, you have to join.

You have to be an ESPN "Insider".

Perhaps someone will post the chat??

Pistons < Spurs
01-16-2006, 02:16 PM
I found this one:

angel (San Antonio, TX): Rasho is sooooo dreamy. What's he like in real life? What does he look for in a woman?

SportsNation Bruce Bowen (1:45 PM ET): Um, Rasho looks for a woman with a cute brother, if you know what I mean . . . .

:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

angel_luv
01-16-2006, 02:23 PM
I found this one:

That's so gay! :lol

Despot
01-16-2006, 02:27 PM
If there is a problem with me posting this, let me know and I will delete.

Buzzmaster: Bruce will be with us shortly so keep the questions coming!

Bruce Bowen: Very happy to be here, hope I can answer your questions!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Brian (Memphis): Bruce, which player is the toughest defensive matchup for you...Kobe, Lebron, AI, or Ray Allen...and why?

Bruce Bowen: I can't say becaue they're all so different. The one common denominator is they all play hard and are competitors and will keep coming until the game is over. You have to prepare for a full 48 minutes no matter who you're guarding. AI is quick and you don't want to put him on the line, he's good at draqwing contact as well as scoring in bunches. Kobe can get any shot at any spot on the floor. With him you just have to limit his touches, whereas AI is bringing it up the court a lot. Still, that doesn't guarantee a lot. With LeBron, he is a great competitor but hasn't been seasoned enough to fully grasp his entire game yet. I see him twice a year, but I see Kobe four times year so it's harder to asses becuase he's done so much so early.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
joe live oak, fl : How well are you playing now compared to last year?

Bruce Bowen: We have a lot of room for improvement, as we've shown against the Pistons. And playing the second of back to back games we haven't been as good as last year. We can do a better job of moving the ball and getting back to our defensive principles. Because of the new guys and all the injuries we haven't been able to show them the correct way just yet. We have to do a better job of that.

Bruce Bowen: It hasn't changed it a whole lot. I'm just more aware of the way my actions are perceived. At some point you have to convey to your child that things don't always go your way and there's a good way to handle it, and that's what I want to show him on the court.

RK (motown): Bruce, how is like guarind Richard Hamilton, especially guarding him in all 7 games in the finals.

Bruce Bowen: Familiarity breeds more consistency when guarding a guy like that. When you're guarding someone like Rip for seven games you shouldn't be tricked by the way he comes off screens, and you want to try to limit the open catches he gets off those screens.

sweeney, az: who is the most "dangerous" team in the west to keep you guys from playing the pistons again in the finals?

Bruce Bowen: You have to look at Dallas, Phoenix and Memphis. I don't put us above those teams right now. The Mavs are playing inspired defense, the Suns are playing at a high level without Stoudemire and he will add something when he comes back, and the Grizzlies are playing playoff basketball right now. They value each possession and that's what's important in the postseason.

przem (Poland): What are the spurs players do when they are having a day off? (You , Tim , Manu, Tony)

Bruce Bowen: A lot of times we get away from the game a little. A day is enough time to spend time with family, take care of your body and do things you can't at other times becuse of practice and travel.

Mike (Sudbury, MA): Bruce, which road arena do you look forward to playing in and which road arena has the best fan atmosphere?

Bruce Bowen: Tough one. Detroit, Miami, Phoenix, Dallas of course. The fans are rowdy, loud, really looking forward to their team dominating the defending champs.

bo(toronto): Bruceee- Remember that little scuffle between you and Vince. It looked like that was an accident. How are your relationships with guys that you play against knowing that you can hold them to lows in scoring and they get frustrated??

Bruce Bowen: It doesn't carry over off the court. There has to be respect for the player you're going against. Vince is a great player and I'm not about making it personal off the court. I don't think there are too many players in this league who would benefit from thinking about stuff like that on the floor.

Andrew (Starkville, Mississippi): Do you think you will end your career as a Spur?

Bruce Bowen: I hope so.

Micah (Cambridge, MA): How has David Robinson stayed connected to the Spurs players since he retired?

Bruce Bowen: David is not one to stick out and draw attention. We see him from time to time and comes to a lot of games, but he's not trying to step on toes or give rah-rah speeches. But we know he's there for us and someone we can give a holler to if we need anything.

Anthony (Chicago): Bruce, Who is the best defender of all time? You may pick three.

Bruce Bowen: Nate McMillan, Michael Cooper, Charles Oakley stick out to me. Jason Kidd is up there, too, as well as Alonzo Mourning.

Micah (Cambridge, MA): It seems like good defensive who play in the post (like Ben Wallace) have lots of stats (like blocks & rebounds) to show their defensive skills. How can a perimeter defender like you prove his case for Defensive Player of the Year?

Bruce Bowen: I was happy to be runner-up and would of course like to win one day. It's motivation and it makes me do all I can, but the award itself wouldn't make my day or career. I'm just happy to be considered among the top guys.

Jon (Austin): Hey Bruce, it seems like Coach Pop is a bit more relaxed out there on the bench this year, more so than in the past. What's changed in his attitude from the years past and how do you think it will affect the team's goals this year?

Bruce Bowen: I don't know that he's laid back, but we've been together for some time and he's not as worried about constant coaching becuase he has a trust and a feel with this team.

Boris (CHILE): what do you think about guarding manu in the world cup ?

Bruce Bowen: I would welcome that. I would relish the opportunity to represent my country. It's a great honor, moreso than a high school, city or university. That would ratchet things up a little more and give me the extra incentive. I would REALLY love that. We used to see each other a lot in his first year and it's been enjoyable to go against him.

Reed (NY,NY): if u werent playing basketball, what would u be doing

Bruce Bowen: I would be involved in some kind of youth organization. It's important to keep kids on the right path and unfortunately there are a lot of kids with avenues to the right things.

Bruno (France ) : Hello Bruce . When you played in France , you were a great scorer . How do you become a great defenser ?

Bruce Bowen: Part of it was that in order to get on the court in the NBA I had to do something different because a lot of guys in the NBA can score. I was taught defense from the time I started learning this game, so I had a foundation and I just built on it.

Bruce Bowen: Thanks for all the questions! I appreciate the time and I hope we can do it again!

angel_luv
01-16-2006, 02:29 PM
Thanks Despot!

angel_luv
01-16-2006, 02:37 PM
Is Bruce going to the World Cup?

polandprzem
01-16-2006, 03:04 PM
Just being honest.

Sorry if honesty is something the polish hate.

If you know more about Poland and polish people than I do...
Congratulations

BTW Are you back? Sheesh this year gone so fast. :rolleyes