PDA

View Full Version : Ginobili vs Parker at FIBA World Championships

TMTTRIO
01-17-2006, 01:25 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA011706.5D.BKNspurs.notebook.d241616.html

Spurs notebook: Ginobili vs. Parker at FIBA World Championships

Web Posted: 01/17/2006 12:04 AM CST
Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

MEMPHIS, Tenn. — Sunday was a big day for the Spurs, and while Tim Duncan might disagree, it had nothing to do with the Chicago Bears' loss to Carolina in the NFL playoffs.

FIBA announced the draw for the World Championships in Japan, firming up the summer plans for nearly half of the Spurs' roster.

At least five Spurs are expected to play in the tournament, and that doesn't include another three players whose NBA rights are owned by the team.

The opening day of the tournament pairs the Spurs' starting backcourt against each other: Manu Ginobili and Argentina's Olympic gold-medal team will face Tony Parker and France on Aug.19.

"We've been teasing each other a little bit," Parker said. "It will be my first time to play against Argentina. I'm looking forward to it."

France and Argentina were placed in Group A along with Nigeria, Lebanon, Venezuela and Serbia-Montenegro, which won the 2002 World Championships.

"I think it's a good draw," Ginobili said. "We have to be pretty satisfied."

By being paired in the same group, France and Argentina won't meet again until the semifinals at the earliest.

After preliminary play, the top four teams from each group advance to the second round, where they will face teams from an opposing group in a "knock-out" game. That means France and Argentina — provided they advance — will face either Spain, Germany, Japan, Angola, New Zealand or Panama in their first elimination game.

"I prefer games against hard teams at the beginning so you can start getting ready for the knock-out games," said Fabricio Oberto, who also plans on playing for Argentina in Japan.

Rasho Nesterovic and Beno Udrih both expect to play for Slovenia's national team, which was placed in Group D with the United States, China, Puerto Rico, Italy and Senegal.

Duncan already has informed USA Basketball officials he won't be playing. Sean Marks also is leaning toward not playing for New Zealand.
Honored: As part of Monday's MLK Day celebration, Hall of Fame Boston center Bill Russell and Harlem Globetrotters chairman Mannie Jackson were presented with Sports Legacy Awards by the National Civil Rights Museum.

The awards — which were presented by actor Morgan Freeman — honor athletes who have made significant contributions to civil and human rights.

"When Martin (Luther King Jr.) gave his speech in the Mall at Washington D.C., I was sitting in the third row," Russell said. "That was not history for me. It was current events."

Whistle while you work: Neither the Spurs nor Memphis had an easy time generating any rhythm in Monday's closely officiated game. The officiating crew of Dick Bavetta, Violet Palmer and Elie Roe called 58 fouls — 16 more than the average for a Spurs game this season. :pctoss
Grizzlies guard Eddie Jones drew three fouls in his first four minutes on the floor. He and Mike Miller fouled out.

Duncan spent the final 8 minutes, 51 seconds of the first half on the bench after collecting three fouls. He and Ginobili each had five for the game.

TDMVPDPOY
01-17-2006, 01:56 AM
cant wait to see parker get his ass handed to him by ginoboli, this is for not passin my the ball ballhog

MaNuMaNiAc
01-17-2006, 03:11 AM
Its going to take more than Parker for France to beat Argentina. Sorry, but I say Argentina wins this one

FreshPrince22
01-17-2006, 03:21 AM
Hopefully Delfino gets more minutes than he did in the Olympics. That is, if he's going.

Brutalis
01-17-2006, 03:35 AM
Marks might no play for NZ? What?

Like anyone else is gunna need you or something? Lmao.

NZHayden
01-17-2006, 05:17 AM
go nz, p.s. marks retired from international bball after the athens olympics

Frenchise player
01-17-2006, 06:00 AM
Its going to take more than Parker for France to beat Argentina. Sorry, but I say Argentina wins this one
France has a lot of talented, young and athletical players.
Pietrus and Diaw are really good swingman. Our backourt can really be compared to Argentina's one. The big concern is the the center position. Maybee Petro will develop enough to be a consistent starter or else we always have our 2 metres 16 Frederic Weiss (I hope Cater won't be in team USA or else he will have some nightmares).
The only true advantage of Argentina is their experience.
I just wonder who is going to defend on Tp because I think that Pietrus can do a decent job on Manu.

mathbzh
01-17-2006, 06:16 AM
I guess Turiaf will bring more than Petro to the French Team.
Since the last euro, I am not afraid about our centers. Our small lineup was great (F.Pietrus and B. Diaw inside are a surprising but efficient association). Petro and Weiss will bring the missing inches when needed and Turiaf some power.

Be ready to discover another great player (Gelabale drafted by the sonics). He will surprise many observers.

Regarding TP, I hope he will be great. But I am afraid he will have some troubles to score in the paint as with the spurs.

The French will be the most athletic of all the teams but the USA.
But inexperience as a team may kill them (has it did for the USA during the olympics).

Athenea
01-17-2006, 08:03 AM
France has a lot of talented, young and athletical players.
The only true advantage of Argentina is their experience.
I just wonder who is going to defend on Tp because I think that Pietrus can do a decent job on Manu.
Pepe Sánchez for sure. He is our best defender.

1Parker1
01-17-2006, 09:18 AM
Church of Tony vs Church of Manu! :elephant :lol

GoSpurs21
01-17-2006, 10:19 AM
dam it really sux that Spurs players are wasting their time on this meaningless tourney

way to shorten your NBA career...especially Manu, I think all the summer international play has shorterned his NBA career by at least 4 years a this point, and every summer takes off another 1/2 season.

fonzy16
01-17-2006, 10:29 AM
Church of Tony vs Church of Manu! :elephant :lol

dont forget the RBB (Ra-sho and Beno Brotherhood!)

fonzy16
01-17-2006, 10:30 AM
RBB will kick your ass! :blah

TMTTRIO
01-17-2006, 11:00 AM
dam it really sux that Spurs players are wasting their time on this meaningless tourney

way to shorten your NBA career...especially Manu, I think all the summer international play has shorterned his NBA career by at least 4 years a this point, and every summer takes off another 1/2 season.
For a guy like Manu, I think it hurts him more if he rests all summer than plays. Look at him this year. This was the first real summer he's been off in a while and all he's been is injured and out of condition. He's just now starting to find his rhthym and get healthy.

mathbzh
01-17-2006, 11:03 AM

Remember a time were sports was not all about money, were player was proud to wear their color... I am really happy than it still exists player that love playing for their country.

smeagol
01-17-2006, 11:10 AM

man, a comment full of hard facts if a ever saw one :rolleyes

diego
01-17-2006, 11:14 AM
as an argentine, i have my worries about the WC. first, we have a new coach who as far as i know has yet to coach the olympic core. second, we have lost several veterans to age, especially in the backcourt. I still expect them to beat an inexperienced team like france, but I have my doubts that we can come home champs.

Manu will have to work extra hard for that to happen.

angel_luv
01-17-2006, 11:23 AM

Good Stuff! :spin I love R & B! :elephant

1Parker1
01-17-2006, 11:26 AM

:lol True.

Despot
01-17-2006, 11:27 AM
From everything I had read, I thought Manu was going to skip the worlds and other tournaments since Argentina had a guaranteed bid for the next Olympics.

Despot
01-17-2006, 11:29 AM
dam it really sux that Spurs players are wasting their time on this meaningless tourney.

To US fans it is meaningless, but around the world this is THE TOURNAMENT.
Some countries even think it is more important than the Olympics.

angel_luv
01-17-2006, 11:34 AM
I love having a mini UN of a Spurs team except during things like this when they're all on separate squads.

Timmy staying home makes it a little easier. But I really wish Rasho, Beno, and Gino were from the same country so all three could win.

angel_luv
01-17-2006, 11:36 AM
To US fans it is meaningless, but around the world this is THE TOURNAMENT.
Some countries even think it is more important than the Olympics.

It is meaningless to some U.S. fans maybe, but not all.

I had a blast following the E.C.

Slovenia is :king ! Bring on the W.C. :elephant

1Parker1
01-17-2006, 12:36 PM
I love having a mini UN of a Spurs team except during things like this when they're all on separate squads.

Timmy staying home makes it a little easier. But I really wish Rasho, Beno, and Gino were from the same country so all three could win.

PARKER HATER!! :lol

angel_luv
01-17-2006, 01:12 PM
I'm a big fan of 1Parker1 though- one of Philly's best! :D

1Parker1
01-17-2006, 01:22 PM
I'm a big fan of 1Parker1 though- one of Philly's best! :D

:lol Nice save, Slick.

Slo spurs fan
01-17-2006, 01:24 PM
PARKER HATER!! :lol
:lol

WalterBenitez
01-17-2006, 01:46 PM

:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

angel_luv
01-17-2006, 01:47 PM
:lol Nice save, Slick.

Hey, I'm all about sLOVEnia! ;) :lol

hendrix
01-17-2006, 05:14 PM
It doesn't matter who guards Parker... believe me, he's gonna get some.
Sanchez, Nocioni, whoever: "Welcome to the WC, ballhog!" :)

MaNuMaNiAc
01-17-2006, 05:40 PM
Parker is probably going to do a number on us, but France is still going to lose

The_Game
01-17-2006, 06:57 PM
Diaw is also going to be a tough match-up

mikejones99
01-18-2006, 03:01 AM
USA will be heavy favorites this time. Rasho n Beno 2nd. Argentina 3rd

WalterBenitez
01-18-2006, 06:41 AM
It doesn't matter who guards Parker... believe me, he's gonna get some.
Sanchez, Nocioni, whoever: "Welcome to the WC, ballhog!" :)

Ok, but the only way to stop TP is a combination of:

a) "welcome to the WC" Sanchez + Nocioni ... :rolleyes

b) Refs calling some travelling of him, :blah

c) Zone :lol

Remember the kid is playing really good nowadays

hendrix
01-18-2006, 08:22 AM
a) "welcome to the WC" Sanchez + Nocioni ... :rolleyes

Come on... :) you liked it the idea of Nocioni sweeping floors with Parker :lol

c) Zone

Well, the thing is, zones are much more frequently played in FIBA.

WalterBenitez
01-18-2006, 10:21 AM

yep, yep, yep ... but TP is faster than Chapu, so it'll be hard to catch !!!

MaNuMaNiAc
01-18-2006, 03:02 PM

Well, the thing is, zones are much more frequently played in FIBA.If you think Parker is going to be easy to guard then you haven't been paying attention this season http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smirolleyes.gif

hendrix
01-18-2006, 04:00 PM
I'n not saying he would be easy to guard, even on a Zone. But you know zones clog the lanes and forces guards to shoot from outside.

GO SPurs Go
01-18-2006, 05:02 PM
Can anyone plz tell me why Duncan isn't playing. I heard that he's upset about the refs but there has to be something else..........

SpursDork
01-18-2006, 06:00 PM
TP and Manu are already talking shit to each other according to Tony's website :D

« Happy to play Argentina »

Tony, what do you think about the World Championship draw ?

When I knew we were going to play Argentina, I was extremely happy. Personally, I think it is the best team from these past couple of years. To play them in our opening game does not bother me. We will thus enter immediately in the heart of the debate and this game will work as a test.

Did you talk about this with Manu Ginobili ?

Of course ! Yesterday, when we were flying to Memphis, we were starting to “talk shit” to one another. Remember that Manu is not the only one to talk to as there is also Fabricio Oberto who happens to know Cyril Julian very well as they played together in Valencia, Spain.

Following this Argentina game, you’ll have to face Serbia.

We can imagine that the Serbs will be motivated as their loss in Novi Sad must still be in everyone’s heads. The question is which team will be in Japan ? Since the Euro, it is a bit messy in Serbian basketball. We have yet to know who is the coach and we don’t know if all the players will be on hand. There remains a lot of uncertainty surrounding this team.

Do you know anything about your other opponents : Lebanon, Nigeria and Venezuela ?

Absolutely not as I have never had the opportunity to see them play. I have asked a few questions to Manu about Venezuela. He told me that they were not as good as Brazil and that is was a team that could be beaten. We have to remain careful as anything can happen during a game.

We know the US are in the midst of naming their team and that the encounter a few difficulties to reach their star players. Any thoughts about this ?

Fifteen years ago, the Jordan, Bird, and Magic were proud to represent their country. It was very important for them to play in international competitions, to win the gold and to show the world that US basketball was dominant. Today, the motivations are not the same and when I see Tim (Duncan), I find it a bit too bad for US basketball. Nonetheless, I understand Tim's beeing somewhat frustrated with European style of basketball. The Olympic Games were a nightmare for him as he encountered a lot of difficulties with the officiating. For me, if I was American I would want to bring with me the best players. Can you imagine a team made up of Shaq, Duncan, Bryant, Iverson, Garnett, Allen, Ben Wallace, Billups and Bruce Bowen !

Link (http://www.tp9.net/en/itw.php?id=107)

Phenomanul
01-18-2006, 06:29 PM
We know the US are in the midst of naming their team and that the encounter a few difficulties to reach their star players. Any thoughts about this ?

Fifteen years ago, the Jordan, Bird, and Magic were proud to represent their country. It was very important for them to play in international competitions, to win the gold and to show the world that US basketball was dominant. Today, the motivations are not the same and when I see Tim (Duncan), I find it a bit too bad for US basketball. Nonetheless, I understand Tim's beeing somewhat frustrated with European style of basketball. The Olympic Games were a nightmare for him as he encountered a lot of difficulties with the officiating. For me, if I was American I would want to bring with me the best players. Can you imagine a team made up of Shaq, Duncan, Bryant, Iverson, Garnett, Allen, Ben Wallace, Billups and Bruce Bowen !

Link (http://www.tp9.net/en/itw.php?id=107)

There ya have it....