PDA

View Full Version : Brokeback mountain?! WTF??

Cant_Be_Faded
01-17-2006, 11:01 AM
How in the fuck did this film get "Best Drama" ???? That's absolutely freaking bullcrap!!!!

This movie has been out for what, all of 3/4 a month?

ChumpDumper was right...he said that after the anti-gays started bitching about this movie that it was gaurunteed to get best picture....

This is so lame. Not that I have anything against the movie or its story, but how can a movie released so recently seriously have merit in an awards show?

JoeChalupa
01-17-2006, 11:21 AM
What does how long a movie has been out have to do with the quality of the film? Does it get better with age and become a classic?

I haven't seen the movie but from what I've heard the awards are well deserved. I'm still rockin' from the fact that Reese won a golden globe.

Duncan21
01-17-2006, 11:27 AM
i've never heard of it

1Parker1
01-17-2006, 11:32 AM
You know the funniest thing: If you took a poll of everyone in the US (somehow), I bet HALF of the people haven't seen many of the movies that have been nominated over the years for Best Picture at these awards. I, for one, haven't seen any of the movies nominated for Best Picture (Drama) this year. Although I did want to see The Constant Gardner.

pache100
01-17-2006, 11:32 AM
I'm still rockin' from the fact that Reese won a golden globe.

Have you seen "Walk the Line"? I haven't seen it, but I understand she has a dynamite performance as June Carter Cash.

What does how long a movie has been out have to do with the quality of the film?

Not much, except I have noticed a trend in the Golden Globes...they seem to notice and favor more recent movies than ones that came out earlier in the rating year. I don't know why.

JoeChalupa
01-17-2006, 11:36 AM
Have you seen "Walk the Line"? I haven't seen it, but I understand she has a dynamite performance as June Carter Cash.

No I haven't. But she did have a dynamite performance in Legally Blonde (she was robbed that year).

I too hear she did great and I love her down to earth attitude and her husband Ryan Witherspoon really supports her. I hope their marriage makes it.

JoeChalupa
01-17-2006, 11:38 AM
I always wait for the DVD's so I'm always about a year behind the GG's and Oscars. Was Crash eligible? I loved that movie.

FromWayDowntown
01-17-2006, 11:40 AM
How in the fuck did this film get "Best Drama" ???? That's absolutely freaking bullcrap!!!!

ChumpDumper was right...he said that after the anti-gays started bitching about this movie that it was gaurunteed to get best picture....

This is so lame. Not that I have anything against the movie or its story, but how can a movie released so recently seriously have merit in an awards show?

The only requirement, aside from getting votes, that a movie has to meet to win awards is to have come out in the calendar year. Lots of movies don't come out until Christmas, but are considered for awards in that year. Studios sometimes decide for strategic reasons to release films in November or December if they think will win awards, believing the films will be fresh on the minds of the media and the voters.

Brokeback must have made a pretty good impression on the voters, despite its late release date. It's a legitimate winner.

TheTruth
01-17-2006, 11:41 AM
Reese Witherspoon was great in Walk the LIne....So was Joaquin Phoenix.

polandprzem
01-17-2006, 11:59 AM
i've never heard of it
ask elpimpo. He was one of the reasons the Film was made

Cant_Be_Faded
01-17-2006, 12:00 PM
Joe, the reason is because the GG's and pretty much every other awards show out there always seem to heavily favor the more recent films over the films released earlier in the year.

I think if this gay cowboy movie was released in feb of 2005 then it would have not even be considered because the fickle mind of people would have forgotten how "groundbreakingly great" this movie "was"

Johnny_Blaze_47
01-17-2006, 12:30 PM
You also have to remember that there were advanced screenings for media and industry people, which probably vote on these awards.

davi78239
01-17-2006, 01:00 PM
I just saw this movie on Saturday because my girlfriend and her sister wanted to. Before the movie, we saw previews for a similar movie but this one deals with chicks. I forgot the name.

Vashner
01-17-2006, 01:09 PM
Because it's anti Bush movie hollywood is IN YOUR FACE right now to all the idiots that voted for Bush...

They don't want them in theaters too I guess.

Oscar DeLa
01-17-2006, 01:14 PM
I don't know what it is but I think some might be forgetting the movies that have won best picture
in the GOLDEN GLOBES and OSCARS
shit, even lord of the rings won
and that movie blew nuts

Oscar DeLa
01-17-2006, 01:15 PM
I don't know what it is but how is this movie antiBush again?

Cant_Be_Faded
01-17-2006, 02:37 PM
the only reason people did not like lord of the rings is cuz they don't like fantasy movies or they have a gay tendency to completely avoid things that lots of other people like

Funny how Ali G is so commercial he is on TNT basketball commercials yet some people still say he's funny....sounds gayer than brokeback mountain to me

Ginofan
01-17-2006, 02:38 PM
Gay cowboys eating pudding.

BrokeBack
01-17-2006, 02:44 PM

You are soooo conservative.

Mixability
01-17-2006, 02:49 PM
the only reason people did not like lord of the rings is cuz they don't like fantasy movies

or maybe because it could've easily been condensed into one 3 hour flick instead of wasting 9 hours of my life.

bigzak25
01-17-2006, 02:50 PM
or maybe because it could've easily been condensed into one 3 hour flick instead of wasting 9 hours of my life.

like you had anything better to do...:lmao :p

Mixability
01-17-2006, 02:54 PM
like you had anything better to do...:lmao :p

i could've been praying. :rolleyes

ChumpDumper
01-17-2006, 02:56 PM
i could've been praying. :rolleyesYou didn't pray for it to end?

Quit yer crying and get in the fucking boat!

bigzak25
01-17-2006, 02:57 PM
i could've been praying. :rolleyes

eees only a joke. mr. rolleyes. :lol

Mixability
01-17-2006, 02:59 PM
You didn't pray for it to end?

Quit yer crying and get in the fucking boat!

I definitely was praying for it to end, but my gf at the time loved LOTR so I HAD to see it. :eyebrows

Extra Stout
01-17-2006, 03:01 PM
BBM is one of the few westerns where the cowboys get it in the end.

gay abc
01-17-2006, 03:22 PM
:lol

and ya'll thought we only shopped and decorated

Texas Gay Rodeo Association (http://texasgayrodeo.org/)

Notorious H.O.P.
01-17-2006, 03:36 PM
You also have to remember that there were advanced screenings for media and industry people, which probably vote on these awards.

Plus it was probably in limited release for a few weeks in major media markets before it went to wide release. That's why people in SA have to wait weeks for their gay cowboy fix. :lol

CharlieMac
01-17-2006, 04:37 PM
It just didn't make any sense that the Top 5 grossing movies in teh past year lost to a movie like Brokeback Mountain. Not to say it's a bad movie, I haven't seen it yet, but this is what happens when a "cutting edge" movie gets a hard push from critics.

I've said it maillions of times before. Different doesn't automatically equate to great.

mookie2001
01-17-2006, 05:04 PM
Ive never seen this movie and dont plan to rent it
if its on tv id watch it but i watch scarborough country too
I just would love for a "conservative" to answer this question

could a "gay" movie ever be good?
could a "gay" movie ever not be the hollywood (asian) left trying "normalize" and get us "used to" homosexuality?

Bastian
01-17-2006, 05:06 PM
Is this movie really good? It's a love story about two gay cowboys right?

What else is there?

Vashner
01-17-2006, 05:11 PM
Brokeback Mts Part 2 - Dude Ranch...

Starring: David Hasselhoff as Ranch owner
George Clooney as the Ranch host
Michael Moore as the cook

Mr. Peabody
01-17-2006, 07:09 PM
It's funny how people who haven't even seen the movie are commenting on the lack of a premise or other alleged problems with the movie. Quit being so close-minded. It's a good film and merely watching it does not automatically make you a homosexual.

AlamoSpursFan
01-18-2006, 01:02 PM
I just would love for a "conservative" to answer this question

could a "gay" movie ever be good?

I enjoyed the hell out of Personal Best...

Oscar DeLa
01-18-2006, 04:01 PM
Texas Gay Rodeo Association (http://texasgayrodeo.org/)

i dont know what it is but lolololololloollolol

gay abc
01-18-2006, 04:13 PM
i dont know what it is but lolololololloollolol

i thought this was pretty funny too

:lmao

You are an idiot.

Oh, Gee!!
01-18-2006, 04:30 PM
Because it's anti Bush movie hollywood is IN YOUR FACE right now to all the idiots that voted for Bush...

They don't want them in theaters too I guess.

how is this movie anti-Bush? Aside from the fact that the characters are real cowboys and Bush only plays one on his ranch

JoeChalupa
01-18-2006, 04:35 PM
I'll watch the DVD.

I'm confident in my sexuality.

And movies are like music. Different people like different sytles of movies.

While I may think LOR was great somebody else is going to think it royally sucked.

Does that make me right and and the other person an idiot because they don't have the same great taste and insight of a movie that I do?

Yeah, it does but that is still their opinion.

Brutalis
01-18-2006, 07:23 PM
This movie is the first of it's kind that was a major production. So of course it won. It won before it was even made.

These award shows have always been ridiculous anyways.

Spam
01-18-2006, 07:37 PM
All awards based on opinion are ridiculous.

Vashner
01-18-2006, 08:37 PM
It's funny how people who haven't even seen the movie are commenting on the lack of a premise or other alleged problems with the movie. Quit being so close-minded. It's a good film and merely watching it does not automatically make you a homosexual.

Well I only cracked jokes. As far as the movie that's all fine I really don't care I am not gay but I don't mind or care if other people are. Long they don't touch my ass :)

I think the only posts here I have dont that might be anti gay view is about Marriage should be a man and woman, husband and wife. I don't see that as anti gay just pro tradition. Make there own gay fiesta or whatever the BEEP they want to call it. Union pride etc...

NZHayden
01-18-2006, 09:07 PM
peter jackson should have got best director, but i suppose i would say that

gay abc
01-19-2006, 08:06 AM
Long they don't touch my ass :)

how about your dick?

:rollin