PDA

View Full Version : Olowokandi-Blount swap being discussed

sa_butta
01-17-2006, 11:38 AM
http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/articles/2006/01/17/olowokandi_blount_swap_being_discussed/

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. -- According to two league sources, a deal that would send Mark Blount to Minnesota or Memphis could be completed soon. One source described a deal as ''imminent." The most likely scenario would have the Celtics shipping Blount to Minnesota for 7-foot, 270-pound center Michael Olowokandi. The Celtics play the Timberwolves tomorrow night at the TD Banknorth Garden.

It is less clear whom the Celtics would receive from the Grizzlies for Blount, if they went that route. Lorenzen Wright, a 6-11 center, might be one possibility because he is in the last year of his contract. Although the salary numbers work, one source said 6-8 Memphis forward Brian Cardinal is not a candidate.

The Celtics reportedly tried to deal Blount to Memphis last offseason. Memphis was one of the teams that aggressively pursued Blount when he was a free agent.

After an extremely disappointing 2004-05 season, Blount and his agent Mark Bartelstein talked with coach Doc Rivers and executive director of basketball operations Danny Ainge last summer. Blount arrived at training camp determined to reclaim the form he showed when playing for his current six-year, $40 million contract -- a contract with a 15 percent trade kicker.

Blount was in the starting lineup for the first 11 games this season. But his inconsistent play, particularly on the glass, led Rivers to demote Blount to the bench. Blount did not play (coach's decision) Nov. 25 against Charlotte, and he has bounced between the bench and the starting lineup.

In yesterday's 94-84 loss to the Pistons, Blount scored 12 points (6 for 11) and grabbed 3 rebounds in 31 minutes as the first player off the bench. He also led the Celtics with 4 turnovers. For the season, he is averaging 13.1 points, 4.4 rebounds, and 3.2 turnovers in 29 minutes per game.

If the Celtics complete a deal for Olowokandi, it would put them in a much better position financially. Blount is making $5.5 million this season and has four years remaining on his deal; Olowokandi, who is making close to $6 million, will become a free agent this summer.

The Celtics could waive Olowokandi, who is averaging 6.5 points and 5.6 rebounds in 24 minutes per game.

If a third team becomes involved, one source said, Marcus Banks appears a likely addition.

Drawing a blank
Ricky Davis was at a loss for points -- and an explanation about what happened. Playing almost 45 minutes, Davis went scoreless for what he believed was the first time in his NBA career. He also could not remember the last time he took just eight shots in a game. ''I don't know what happened," said Davis, who managed to contribute 5 assists. ''They ran me off my shots. I was spending most of the time passing the ball instead of getting my shot. Most of the shots I usually get, they kind of took away from me. I really wasn't trying to force it. I knew I was off. I was just trying to depend on other guys to make shots."

The Darko side
It is not often that Al Jefferson and seldom-used Pistons center Darko Milicic are mentioned together. But that was the case yesterday after Jefferson finished with 8 points and 7 rebounds in 18 minutes off the bench. Jefferson was removed from the starting lineup against Philadelphia Friday because Rivers wants to see better defense and better effort from his second-year forward. But Rivers came to the defense of Jefferson in his postgame remarks. ''I thought Al played pretty well tonight," said Rivers. ''He had been pressing. I don't know if it's pressing or he's just young. The difference between Al and [Milicic] is probably Al is on our team. If you think about it, if Al was on the Pistons, would he be playing 20, 25 minutes a night? I'd probably say no. He's not going to be consistent every night. On the nights that he's not, if other guys are playing well, I'm going to play them." For the record, Jefferson is averaging around 17.5 minutes . . . There will be another pretrial hearing tomorrow in the Tony Allen case. Allen said he will not be present for the proceedings in Chicago.

ChumpDumper
01-17-2006, 01:27 PM
This will be a coup for Ainge if he doesn't have to give up any picks. I don't see how Blount is much of an improvement over Kandi at this point.

ChumpDumper
01-17-2006, 02:51 PM
No, no -- he's going to Denver with Hassel for KMart. (http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/columnists/charley_walters/13641512.htm)

sickdsm
01-19-2006, 04:23 PM
McHale's next move if he picks up Blount for Kandi is picking up his severence paycheck from the mailbox.