PDA

View Full Version : Bettis fumble gives man heart attack

ShoogarBear
01-17-2006, 12:45 PM
. . . literally!

LInk (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/football/nfl/specials/playoffs/2005/01/17/bc.fbn.heart.stoppingst.ap/index.html?cnn=yes)

Fan recovering from heart attack
Man suffered attack when Steelers' Bettis fumbled

Posted: Tuesday January 17, 2006 10:32AM; Updated: Tuesday January 17, 2006 11:10AM

PITTSBURGH (AP) -- Talk about a heart-stopping game between the Pittsburgh Steelers and Indianapolis Colts.

Terry O'Neill, 50, of Pittsburgh, was watching the game at a bar and had a heart attack seconds after Jerome Bettis fumbled trying to score from the 2-yard line late in the fourth quarter. Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger prevented the Colts' Nick Harper from returning the recovered ball for a touchdown and the Steelers hung on for a 21-18 win.

O'Neill said Bettis is his hero.

"I wasn't upset that the Steelers might lose," he told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. "I was upset because I didn't want to see him end his career like that. A guy like that deserves better. I guess it was a little too much for me to handle."

O'Neill, who was recovering at a hospital, credits two firefighters with saving him.

"The Steelers won the game and I'm still alive, so I guess I'm doing pretty good," he said. (Note the priorities. :lol)

He will have a pacemaker implanted to control an irregular heartbeat and he was prescribed medication to deal with the hypertension.

While he would like to go to the bar Sunday for the game against the Denver Broncos to thank the guys who saved him, O'Neill said, "I guess I should probably take it easy and watch the game at home."

Horry For 3!
01-17-2006, 01:06 PM
Interesting.....how would you have a heart attack if he fumbled, maybe if they returned it back and won the game.

Vashner
01-17-2006, 04:48 PM
1 American dies every 12 seconds I think...

Just never know when your time to go .. / blow heart is.

Murphy
01-19-2006, 02:38 PM
lololol too funny, people get too worked up about sports, they're just games, please

101A
01-20-2006, 12:18 PM
I moved up here to Indiana, PA 5 months ago from SA.

Place is completely nuts about the Steelers. Businesses close during the games, the news is completely covered up with coverage, the city lives and dies by them.

Been eagerly awaiting a loss, I just want to see this place implode.

Lived in College Station for 5 years, thought that HAD to be the most myopic sports town in the world. I was wrong.