PDA

View Full Version : Sirius Satellite Radio

midgetonadonkey
01-17-2006, 04:25 PM
I installed Sirius in my truck and it has worked great while cruising around the Southside. Once I hit I-10 going West it loses signal. I was wondering if anyone else that uses Sirius has had this problem.

Anyone? Anyone? Anyone?

tsb2000
01-17-2006, 04:27 PM
I do have that problem sometimes, but I live in Arizona. It seems to go out every now and then for no apparent reason. The website does mention times where the satellites are "adjusted," which can cause a service interruption. Either that, or the smog is really getting thick here! :)

David Bowie
01-17-2006, 04:30 PM
My friend just got Sirus becaue of Howard Stern. She kind of had a lot of trouble installing it and said that a lot of stations weren't very clear.

Horry For 3!
01-17-2006, 04:32 PM
My friend just got Sirus becaue of Howard Stern. She kind of had a lot of trouble installing it and said that a lot of stations weren't very clear.
That is why I would get it. I always watched the Howard Stern Show, its gone now :depressed

CharlieMac
01-17-2006, 04:32 PM
Halfway between here and Houston I lose signal sometimes. But that's with XM Radio. Other than that, satellite radio is great when you're on the road.

midgetonadonkey
01-17-2006, 05:01 PM
The thing that sucks is that it doesn't work for about 3/4 of my drive to work. I only got to listen to about 10 minutes worth of Stern before it went out.

Vashner
01-17-2006, 05:05 PM
Dish placement?

midgetonadonkey
01-17-2006, 05:21 PM
I have the antenna under my sun visor. I assumed since I get nice reception around my house and on my side of the city, it should work anywhere. I thought maybe it had something to do with the construction on I-10 but even here at UTSA I don't get a signal.

Johnny_Blaze_47
01-17-2006, 06:37 PM
You might need to attach the antenna on your roof.

The only time I ever have problems is when I go under bridges for more than five seconds or if I'm at a drive-thru window with a ceiling.

What you also might want to check is your FM reciever if you use the wireless FM reciever. Make sure that you're using a FM station with nothing else around it. Just raise or lower it a few stations and that should help.

When I'm in SA, I have to use 89.1 FM, but when I'm in San Marcos, I can use 88.7 FM.

SequSpur
01-17-2006, 06:47 PM
You lose all the Spanish Stations once you leave the Southside bro.

Willinsa
01-17-2006, 07:20 PM
My XM radio does the same thing on certain parts of town.

Brutalis
01-17-2006, 07:25 PM
Eh a few weeks back Sirius was exposed as bullshit. They actually don't have clear interruption free service they advertised. Just like XM.

Sorry for those that fell for it. But it's still worth it I guess if you're into the radio.

T Park
01-17-2006, 07:56 PM
Eh a few weeks back Sirius was exposed as bullshit. They actually don't have clear interruption free service they advertised

link?

IceColdBrewski
01-17-2006, 08:57 PM
Eh a few weeks back Sirius was exposed as bullshit. They actually don't have clear interruption free service they advertised. Just like XM.

Not sure where you're getting your info from, but you're full of shit. I've had XM for over a year now, and it gets crystal clear reception, day and night. They do have commercials, but it's usually only a fraction of the time regular radio commercials go on for. And it's usually to announce some sort of XM special taking place on a different chanel.

Like T-Park said, you need to provide a link on this one. Otherwise, I'm gonna have to call BS.

T Park
01-17-2006, 09:09 PM
I have XM and Sirius and have had zero problem with either one.

Johnny_Blaze_47
01-17-2006, 09:41 PM

Sorry for those that fell for it. But it's still worth it I guess if you're into the radio.

Um, Sirius doesn't say commercial-free everything.

They say commercial-free music.

The talk stations still have content that needs to be paid for.

midgetonadonkey
01-17-2006, 10:19 PM
You might need to attach the antenna on your roof.

Yeah I think that is the problem. I found a installation guide online. I'm going to work on that tomorrow and hopefully I can get better reception.

midgetonadonkey
01-19-2006, 10:39 AM
I mounted the antenna on the top of my truck and it works great now. No signal loss at all anywhere I go. I got to listen to 45 minutes of the Stern show and my life is better off.

Johnny_Blaze_47
01-19-2006, 10:46 AM
I mounted the antenna on the top of my truck and it works great now. No signal loss at all anywhere I go. I got to listen to 45 minutes of the Stern show and my life is better off.

http://www.infinitehealth.biz/images/people/thumbs-up.jpg

davi78239
01-19-2006, 11:22 AM
I have both services too and really haven't had any problems with them both. Just as long as you have the antenna on top of the car roof, you'll be fine. I have one quick question regarding Sirius. Do you all think Octane is better than 99.5 Kiss? I had to ask this because I haven't listened to fm in a while of course and I've noticed that Octane seems to be more mainstream than Squizz on Xm. Opinions anyone?

midgetonadonkey
01-19-2006, 11:40 AM
I only really listen to the reggae station, oldies stations (50's, 60's and 70's) and ESPN radio and Howard Stern. I'll, on occasion, listen to the hair bands radio and old school rap. I'm not really into current music, as you can probably tell.

leemajors
01-19-2006, 12:54 PM
i really wish they had a few reggae stations. the one on sirius is just wack. when i think reggae i think peter tosh, bob marley, lee perry, etc. not shaggy, snow, and sean paul. a classic reggae station with only older stuff would be really nice, along with a dub station (that's what i'm really into) that plays king tubby, scientist, mad professor, lee perry and the upsetters, etc.

midgetonadonkey
01-19-2006, 02:38 PM
I agree they do play a lot of the newer dancehall. I too am into the older Roots Reggae stuff, though I do like some dancehall like Buju Banton and Yellowman. I've noticed they do play a lot of the same stuff over and over. I would like to hear more Barrington Levy, Gregory Issacs, The Gladiators and Heptones.

But since there is no alternative, I listen to it anyway.

Shelly
01-19-2006, 02:49 PM
That is why I would get it. I always watched the Howard Stern Show, its gone now :depressed

They have Howard Stern on Demand now. It's like $11/month.

T Park
01-19-2006, 02:50 PM
Ive had Sirius for about 4 years now, and I dont remember, if they used to have an old school Reggae station or not.

You can email them that and suggest it. They are always adding stations taking away the least popular ones.

StillBorn
01-28-2006, 03:43 AM
XM Radio baby!! :tu :tu :tu :tu

KEDA
01-28-2006, 09:55 AM
Boneyard on XM is the shit

along with ComedyXL Channel 150!