PDA

View Full Version : Cowboys' OC Payton to coach Saints

j-6
01-17-2006, 06:49 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5256574

FOXSports.com has learned that the New Orleans Saints have agreed in principle to a deal to make Dallas offensive coordinator Sean Payton their new head coach. The two sides are trying to iron out a final contract, which has not yet been signed.
Payton interviewed twice with Saints general manager Mickey Loomis, as did Jets defensive coordinator Donnie Henderson. Other top candidates included Browns offensive coordinator Maurice Carthon and former Packers coach Mike Sherman.

Payton won out after strong recommendations from close coaching cronies inside the division, Carolina's John Fox and Tampa Bay's Jon Gruden, as well as from many others throughout the NFL. He was offered the Raiders' coaching job two years ago but turned it down.

The Saints were searching for a coach who would work well with a young quarterback. New Orleans has the second overall pick in April's draft and is expected to draft either Matt Leinart or Vince Young with that selection. Hiring Payton makes sense in that regard.

Payton is Bill Parcells' offensive coordinator after having served the same role with the New York Giants under Jim Fassel, where he worked with Fox. He also worked under Gruden in Philadelphia.

The team is expected to make an official announcement on Wednesday.

King
01-17-2006, 08:34 PM
I wasn't huge on Payton - but the unknown frightens me. I see either Parcells calling plays, or Todd Haley or Tony Sparano getting a promotion - none of which I like. I

I wish Norv hadn't signed with San Fran.