PDA

View Full Version : Toronto Raptors - 11 years and running

vincerodriguez23
01-18-2006, 12:37 PM
man i remember like it was just yesterday that the Raptors and Grizz came into the league. damn, time does fly fast. I wasnt really suprised when the Grizz moved from Vancouver to Memphis, but Im a little suprised that the Raptors are still in Toronto and still running, even with all these failed playoff attempts (except for 1) and losing seasons. Do Toronto fans love watching their team lose? how is that franchise surviving in Toronto?

Brutalis
01-18-2006, 12:44 PM
Ontario loves the Raptors and as far as I know they sell tickets so there's no problem.

RaptorsFan
01-18-2006, 02:35 PM
The Raptors are fine. Financially, they're one of the most stable organizations in the league. I think what set all of this up was that fateful February night in Oakland. The 2000 dunk contest. I don't think Americans realize what an effect that night and the early years of Vince's tenure with the Raps had on not just basketball in Toronto, but basketball in Canada. Hundreds of thousands of impressionable kids put away their hockey sticks and picked up basketballs. Schools across Canada were filled with 8th graders rocking purple #15 jerseys. Those 8th graders are now growing up, their starting to graduate from high school and are finally getting their first stable incomes. I firmly believe for the next five or ten years, the Toronto Raptors will have strong attendance figures as those impressionable kids begin to be able to spend their own money and buy tickets for their beloved Raptors. Vince Carter impacted the Raptors and basketball in Canada in a way that is immeasurable.

Brutalis
01-18-2006, 03:04 PM
The Raptors are fine. Financially, they're one of the most stable organizations in the league. I think what set all of this up was that fateful February night in Oakland. The 2000 dunk contest. I don't think Americans realize what an effect that night and the early years of Vince's tenure with the Raps had on not just basketball in Toronto, but basketball in Canada. Hundreds of thousands of impressionable kids put away their hockey sticks and picked up basketballs. Schools across Canada were filled with 8th graders rocking purple #15 jerseys. Those 8th graders are now growing up, their starting to graduate from high school and are finally getting their first stable incomes. I firmly believe for the next five or ten years, the Toronto Raptors will have strong attendance figures as those impressionable kids begin to be able to spend their own money and buy tickets for their beloved Raptors. Vince Carter impacted the Raptors and basketball in Canada in a way that is immeasurable.

Good post, welcome to ST.com

I agree 100%. Plus it's not like Canada doesn't know the game. They do, and have good fans at that. I've been to a Raptors game while I was up there, against the Knicks. And they had some really nice fans. I was wearing my DRob jersey and got at least 10 comments like..

"Admiral! Yeah baby!" or.. "Yo Spurs fan, good luck this season!"

Just classy people. It was just one experience but still. They love their Raptors in Ontario.

SPURS21
01-18-2006, 09:44 PM
maybe cuz Toronto is like the 3rd largest market in the NBA behind NY and LA
they have a ton of corporate sponsors and support and there is like 7 mill maybe more in the Greater Toronto Area, a very high income overall

nkdlunch
01-19-2006, 05:36 PM
11 years sucking

ShoogarBear
01-19-2006, 07:54 PM
Toronto is the schnitzus. :tu Always have a blast every time I'm there.

I didn't know it was the third largest market in NA.

TDMVPDPOY
01-20-2006, 12:11 AM
hornets/bobcats have better season then them

T-Pain
01-20-2006, 12:20 AM
yeah i always go for the raptors, poor team is always the bitch team