PDA

View Full Version : Article: Spurs teammates have faith in Nesterovic's talents

angel_luv
01-19-2006, 10:23 AM
As do I! Fear the Sho! :elephant

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA011906.8C.BKNspurs.nesterovic.180b21fa.html
Mike Monroe
Express-News Staff Writer

Rasho Nesterovic didn't score a point in the Spurs' 95-92 victory over the Milwaukee Bucks at the AT&T Center, missing his only shot and both his free throws.

There is an element among Spurs' fandom that will see this as further reason to lobby management to trade Nesterovic before the Feb. 23 trade deadline.

His teammates and coaches, though, understand the depth of Nesterovic's contribution to their 30th victory of the season. He was as vital on the defensive block and on the offensive glass as Michael Finley was important behind the 3-point line.

In the final 5 1/2 minutes Nesterovic blocked a shot by Milwaukee's Jamaal Magloire, grabbed two offensive rebounds, one of which was turned into a Finley 3-pointer, blocked a would-be layup by the Bucks' T.J. Ford, and altered a shot by Michael Redd with 56 seconds left and the Spurs ahead by just two points.

It has been rare to see Nesterovic on the court in crunch time of close games this season. Ordinarily, 14-year veteran Robert Horry joins Tim Duncan for the late stages of such games. But on Wednesday Horry was on the bench, in street clothes, nursing a lower abdominal strain, so Nesterovic had a chance to make some of his most meaningful plays of the season. He did not disappoint, no matter how tepid his box score line might appear.

"Nobody is ever going to say, 'Oh, look at what Rasho is doing,'" said Manu Ginobili, as popular as any Spur, even on a night when he missed nine of 14 shots. "But there are reasons why he is starting and playing so many minutes and doing good. The team trusts him. We know that he is most of the time in the right spot at the right time, so we can trust him and rely on him."

Nesterovic has started all but one of the Spurs' 39 games this season and played nearly twice as many minutes as backup center Nazr Mohammed, who replaced him in the starting lineup late last season and then started every playoff game in the Spurs' championship run. He is the least productive of the Spurs' starters, but content with his role, especially when he knows he has made a solid contribution to a victory.

Spurs' coach Gregg Popovich, while occasionally frustrated by Nesterovic's reluctance to assert himself on offense, was happy to see his aggression on the offensive glass and at the defensive end.

"He had a blocked shot and got some rebounds and gave us that blink that we needed," Popovich said. "We were prepared that (Andrew) Bogut wasn't going to do to us what he did to us in Milwaukee, where he got every offensive board and stuck it back in. But Rasho did a good job."

One of the things Bogut did to the Spurs on Dec. 20, in Milwaukee, was to make a shot off an in-bounds lob pass at the end of overtime, giving the Bucks a 109-107 victory. Nesterovic had the defensive assignment on Bogut on that play, but he insisted he gave no thought to it as he approached Wednesday's game.

"No," he said. "It's done. We just wanted to come in and not let them outrebound us like in that game. We tried to do as good a job on the boards as possible."

abelle23
01-19-2006, 10:28 AM
good that the team supports rasho...i think he is improving defensively but still has a lot to go offensively...

angel_luv
01-19-2006, 10:28 AM
"Nobody is ever going to say, 'Oh, look at what Rasho is doing,'" said Manu Ginobili, as popular as any Spur, even on a night when he missed nine of 14 shots. "But there are reasons why he is starting and playing so many minutes and doing good. The team trusts him. We know that he is most of the time in the right spot at the right time, so we can trust him and rely on him."

"He had a blocked shot and got some rebounds and gave us that blink that we needed," Popovich said. "We were prepared that (Andrew) Bogut wasn't going to do to us what he did to us in Milwaukee, where he got every offensive board and stuck it back in. But Rasho did a good job."

leemajors
01-19-2006, 11:09 AM
any points a spur center scores are gravy. the block he had was great, and he was really going after rebounds, ripping them away from people. it was nice to see.

team-work
01-19-2006, 11:10 AM
Next game comes the opportunity for Rasho. He will make a statement if he stops Shaq, which is possible now unlike in the past. Rasho's value will then be more appreciated and his starter status more secure.

leemajors
01-19-2006, 11:12 AM
he and nazr will probably both rack up fouls, but we'll see.

foodie2
01-19-2006, 11:47 AM
The team trusts him. We know that he is most of the time in the right spot at the right time, so we can trust him and rely on him."

Considering the fact that it seems that players are always yelling and pointing at Nazr, having to show him where to go, I wonder if this quote by Manu isn't meant as a knock on Nazr.

SenorSpur
01-19-2006, 11:54 AM
No one can question that value of Rasho's defensive contributions. The late block was a testimony. Also, his attempt at a two-handed slam off the Parker lob pass was funny to watch. Even though he missed the slam it was a good aggressive move.

Despite his contributions on defense, he typically comes up short against a more physical, quicker frontline such as Detroit. As a result, Pop is forced to used Duncan at the 6 and Horry at the 4 spot, for longer stretches of those games.

Sportman
01-19-2006, 11:55 AM
I only have to say that spurs´players are really NICE and GOOD people!!!!!!!

GrandeDavid
01-19-2006, 12:40 PM
I don't care to see the Spurs make a single move roster wise. Stick with this roster, the deepest, most talented ever assembled in San Antonio. Every season about this time there are these mini-crises in many fans' minds that will prevent the team from reaching the pinnacle. Then comes late March and the teams is feared by all. Rasho does what he does, however invisible as it may be at times, and you don't want to trade him. He knows the sets, knows his teammates. If you want to trade him after the season, that's another story altogether.

ChumpDumper
01-19-2006, 12:58 PM
I think if we do a trade it'll probably be another salary dump including Barry or Rasho -- maybe a horizontal move with Nazr, but not much else. Otherwise we'll begin our annual post-waive deadline vet search and maybe take a flyer on a guy like Tim Thomas or whoever else may be on his way to the dustbin of NBA history.

Oh, Gee!!
01-19-2006, 01:08 PM
Trade all the white guys except for Manu

TwoHandJam
01-19-2006, 01:11 PM
No one can question that value of Rasho's defensive contributions. The late block was a testimony. Also, his attempt at a two-handed slam off the Parker lob pass would funny to watch. Even though he missed the slam it was a good aggressive move.

Despite his contributions on defense, he typically comes up short against a more physical, quicker frontline such as Detroit. Pop is forced to used Duncan at the 6 and Horry at the 4 spot, for longer stretches of those games.
I agree.

I can't help but wonder why Rasho can't be more consistent though. Why can't he play like he did the last 5 minutes of the Bucks game all the time? He has the tools but his inconsistency as a starter is maddening.

boutons_
01-19-2006, 01:20 PM
and why can't he play all game the way he opens some 1st qtrs?

One thing is that that Tony seems ready, even looking, to throw him the ball in the opening minutes, and then never afterwards.

Despot
01-19-2006, 01:33 PM
See, the thing about rasho is, He has shown us he has the ability to be a great center, well not great, but pretty darn good. I will not question his defensive ability, his presence alone deters players from driving to the basket (Tim and Rasho are pretty formiddable defensively at the basket), and he is great against Shaq, but that only helps us twice a year now.

When Duncan was out last year 'Sho was a beast! Why can't he do that all the time?? I never bought into the "defers to Duncan" talk, but what is it with this guy? I'm just not comfortable with Rasho as our starting center in the playoffs, he withdraws when people start to play physically, which we all know the playoffs are all about, especially the Pistons.

This reminds me of those threads where everyone is hopefull for the success of a young prospect who everyone thinks will have an huge impact and then has a great game once every two months, and all of a sudden threads and articles pop up about "Told you so!", or "He's on his way".

We need more than 5 inspired games a year.

phyzik
01-19-2006, 01:35 PM
well, I guess Im glad someone has faith in him....

not that he's bad but to me it seems like he is always doing just enough to make a passing grade and not putting forth that extra effort.

I guess I cant blame him, I did that all through highschool when I was there. Just give me the D teacher and STFU :elephant

TwoHandJam
01-19-2006, 01:38 PM
This reminds me of those threads where everyone is hopefull for the success of a young prospect who everyone thinks will have an huge impact and then has a great game once every two months, and all of a sudden threads and articles pop up about "Told you so!", or "He's on his way".

We need more than 5 inspired games a year.This is the reason why I've pretty much given up hope on him remaining our starting center. If he hasn't changed as a player after all this time in the league, he likely never will.

Kori Ellis
01-19-2006, 01:38 PM
Here's an example of the difference between Rasho and Nazr .. and this isn't even about D.

Last night, the play was called for an ISO for Tony at the top. Tony spent several seconds of the shot clock waving Nazr out of the center lane so he could drive. Tony was becoming more and more frustrated as Nazr would move but still be in the wrong space.

In the second half, same play was called with Rasho in the game instead of Nazr. Not only was Rasho out of Tony's way, he boxed out the Bucks player from the lane and Tony had a clear path to the basket.

Solid D
01-19-2006, 01:41 PM
and why can't he play all game the way he opens some 1st qtrs?

One thing is that that Tony seems ready, even looking, to throw him the ball in the opening minutes, and then never afterwards.

It's a good question, but as the game moves on, it becomes less of a role for Rasho to score. He ends up being asked to screen, rebound and defend. He's actually the best screener Tony and Manu have for their penetrations and TP especially owes Rasho a lot credit for his points in the paint...as much so as a great running back in football owes credit to his lead blocker.

ducks
01-19-2006, 01:55 PM
if he rebounds I will be happy tp had more rebounds then him last night

Solid D
01-19-2006, 01:57 PM
Here's an example of the difference between Rasho and Nazr .. and this isn't even about D.

Last night, the play was called for an ISO for Tony at the top. Tony spent several seconds of the shot clock waving Nazr out of the center lane so he could drive. Tony was becoming more and more frustrated as Nazr would move but still be in the wrong space.

In the second half, same play was called with Rasho in the game instead of Nazr. Not only was Rasho out of Tony's way, he boxed out the Bucks player from the lane and Tony had a clear path to the basket.

Good catch.

BigVee
01-19-2006, 01:58 PM
I think it is sad that a column and fellow players have to go out of their way to try and pump up a guy that has some moments but usually disappoints. If he hasn't learned to play with total passion by now he never will. He is what he is.....not very good.

SenorSpur
01-19-2006, 02:00 PM
See, the thing about rasho is, He has shown us he has the ability to be a great center, well not great, but pretty darn good. I will not question his defensive ability, his presence alone deters players from driving to the basket (Tim and Rasho are pretty formiddable defensively at the basket), and he is great against Shaq, but that only helps us twice a year now.

When Duncan was out last year 'Sho was a beast! Why can't he do that all the time?? I never bought into the "defers to Duncan" talk, but what is it with this guy? I'm just not comfortable with Rasho as our starting center in the playoffs, he withdraws when people start to play physically, which we all know the playoffs are all about, especially the Pistons.

We need more than 5 inspired games a year.

Sounds like Rasho is afflicted with the dreaded disease "Erick Dampieritis"

ducks
01-19-2006, 02:03 PM
an article like this comes out now and pop says that nazr can not get playing time
trying to resign nazr is going to be more difficult now

Despot
01-19-2006, 02:13 PM
I think this thread did not turn into the LoveFest that angel_luv might have expected it to be.

polandprzem
01-19-2006, 02:30 PM
You think Shaq got any chance vs Rasho?

In my opinion Rasho will destroy him :tu

btw - It's realy not good to hear that nazr not doing much of impovment. I hope they will take him in the ASB (allstar break) :) and give him an extra training. He will need it. I still don't understand why not being in the preseason campcause so much damage? Maan.

Rasho is not bad in defending Shaq. Now Shaq do not move fast, and almost stands on the same spot.
Radoslav go for it!

Melmart1
01-19-2006, 02:30 PM
If angel luv is smart (and I think she is), she knew better than to expect a lovefest for Rasho.

And to the poster who said that the Spurs were going out of their way to pump Rasho up, that is bull. Monroe decided to write the article and was likely fishing for comments. I find it hard to believe Manu would go up to Monroe and say "hey, Rasho has his feelings hurt by Spurs fans and needs a pick-me-up. Will you write a fluff piece?" From interviews, Rasho actually strikes me as someone who is a little cold and indifferent to fan opinions, so its only what the team thinks that counts. And the team obviously regards him well.

What I don't get about Spurs fans is how they can buy into the "Defense Wins Championships" mantra, then clearly favor someone who is clueless on D over someone who has nailed his rotations and alters almost as many shots in one night as most of the Spurs attempt on offensive.

DarkReign
01-19-2006, 02:38 PM
Trade all the white guys except for Manu

Manu is not white.

BigVee
01-19-2006, 02:38 PM
If angel luv is smart (and I think she is), she knew better than to expect a lovefest for Rasho.

And to the poster who said that the Spurs were going out of their way to pump Rasho up, that is bull. Monroe decided to write the article and was likely fishing for comments. I find it hard to believe Manu would go up to Monroe and say "hey, Rasho has his feelings hurt by Spurs fans and needs a pick-me-up. Will you write a fluff piece?" From interviews, Rasho actually strikes me as someone who is a little cold and indifferent to fan opinions, so its only what the team thinks that counts. And the team obviously regards him well.

What I don't get about Spurs fans is how they can buy into the "Defense Wins Championships" mantra, then clearly favor someone who is clueless on D over someone who has nailed his rotations and alters almost as many shots in one night as most of the Spurs attempt on offensive.

Horse manure. What do you expect the guys to say, "yeah Rasho sucks, sure wish we could trade him?" They realize they are stuck with him and are trying to make the best of it.

ChumpDumper
01-19-2006, 02:59 PM
What do you expect the guys to say, "yeah Rasho sucks, sure wish we could trade him?"Well, Dirk does that. I guess we should take their compliments of Barry the same way.

ShoogarBear
01-19-2006, 03:05 PM
The implicit Nazr slagging continues in the media. timvp was right.

ChumpDumper
01-19-2006, 03:09 PM
In that case, are we ever going to start Nazr?

If we do in the playoffs and he does as well as everyone thinks he will, the conspiracy will be for naught, as Nazr will have earned himself at least more than Jerome James money.

If not, we're throwing the season to re-sign a mediocre center. Does that sound ilke us?

T Park
01-19-2006, 03:16 PM

The haters wont recognize that though.

No one notices that stuff but the people that don't HATE Nesterovic with a blinding retarded passion like some on this board.

Nazr matches up good with the quick forwards and centers like Detroit.

Other than that, Nesterovic is good against everyone else.

BigVee
01-19-2006, 03:21 PM
The haters wont recognize that though.

No one notices that stuff but the people that don't HATE Nesterovic with a blinding retarded passion like some on this board.

Nazr matches up good with the quick forwards and centers like Detroit.

Other than that, Nesterovic is good against everyone else.

Calling our Nazr for being in the wrong position is fine, but praising Rasho for doing what is supposed to do?.....I would say Rasho is perhaps better against everyone else, but GOOD against everyone else? No. In the most objective light possible, I don't see how anyone can get to Rasho being a good NBA player.

Mixability
01-19-2006, 03:24 PM
Manu is not white.

paging smeagol.............

:lmao

Supergirl
01-19-2006, 03:28 PM
Spurs won't make a trade. The chemistry is solid, people know their roles, and what they have to do is pace themselves, get stronger defensively and healthier.

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-19-2006, 04:44 PM
I can't climb on the RashoWagon no matter how hard I've tried.

I'm thrilled that he can find the right spot on the offensive and defensive plays and I'm super-duper excited that he can set a nice pick now and then.

It doesn't excite me that he is a 7-footer that only gets 5 pts and 5 rebounds a game. It doesn't excite me that he dunks the ball less often than Spud Webb. It doesn't excite me that the best thing we have to back him up is Nazr.

Of the two centers I still don't know who I like on the floor more. . .unless none of the above is one of my choices. The thing that Nazr brings to the game is some energy around the basket on the offense. I believe that is a big help for Tim getting better looks. Unfortunately Nazr is a liability on D.

Solid D
01-19-2006, 04:45 PM
Remember, the Spurs pulled the trigger on the Malik trade last year in order to get what they were after (more size in the post).

The Spurs need athleticism in the post and another scorer.

Kori Ellis
01-19-2006, 04:46 PM
The thing that Nazr brings to the game is some energy around the basket on the offense. I believe that is a big help for Tim getting better looks

Except when he is in Tim's way ... which is often.

boutons_
01-19-2006, 04:58 PM
"to get what they were after (more size in the post)."

I though it was primarily to get rid of Malik's underpeforming contract for the expiring Nazr contract, with, secondarily, some hope that Nazr could perform better than Malik.

I think the trade has worked out only financially for the Spurs
(Malik contributed more to the 03 Title, than Nazr did to the 05 Title)

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-19-2006, 05:00 PM
Except when he is in Tim's way ... which is often.

True.

I guess I have to solidify my "none of the above" opinion on which of the two should be playing.

Solid D
01-19-2006, 05:17 PM
"to get what they were after (more size in the post)."

I though it was primarily to get rid of Malik's underpeforming contract for the expiring Nazr contract, with, secondarily, some hope that Nazr could perform better than Malik.

I think the trade has worked out only financially for the Spurs
(Malik contributed more to the 03 Title, than Nazr did to the 05 Title)

True, it was Malik's contract that was of primary importance. The Spurs still wanted size in the post in return however. Rasho was originally requested by NY, but the Spurs didn't want to give up their "starting" center (see attached article).

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA022505.1C.BKNspurs.trade.main.df3ca9bf.html

"The Spurs had pursued Mohammed because of his size and potential. New York officials initially did not want to let him go unless they received Nesterovic in return. The Spurs were hesitant about parting with their starting center for Mohammed even in a package that would have included Rose and Knicks center Kurt Thomas.

On Wednesday night, Knicks officials said they didn't have any interest in doing a Rose-Mohammed deal. They changed their mind Thursday morning, perhaps because they also had agreed to acquire Houston forward Maurice Taylor."

T Park
01-19-2006, 07:48 PM
Damn,

Rasho and Rose for Thomas and Mohammed??

Fuck....

Pero
01-19-2006, 08:05 PM
:lol
This either proves that the Spurs FO is stupid, or that they know more than the fans. :)

milkyway21
01-19-2006, 08:35 PM
i also think Tim Duncan and Rasho talked a lot more on the court between inbounds or timeouts than in the past last 2 yrs..

and I'm happy about it.

Cant_Be_Faded
01-19-2006, 08:51 PM
You realize you can only have so many official articles about teamates "not losing faith" in another teammate before it becomes fact that teammate is worthless, right?

SequSpur
01-19-2006, 09:21 PM
Take note:

If you have to mention that you have faith in a teammate then you're basicly saying he is a shitty teammate.

Peter
01-19-2006, 10:42 PM
What a touching article. Kinda makes you forget that as a starting center he has averaged 4.2 boards a night this season and that he has all of 16 total trips to the free throw line. Maybe not.

Why is it that every !@#$ing season there is a 'Rasho will turn it around' article from the E-N and, well, he never does?

Look, he's crap. I don't care if he knows how to stay out of his teammates' way. He also apparently knows how to stay out of his opponents' way too.

dn0
01-19-2006, 11:05 PM
Rasho should be happy to play in the NBA, what a stiff.

picnroll
01-19-2006, 11:18 PM
Rasho and Nazr's weak scoring coupled with Bowen's and Rasho's weak rebounding puts enormous pressure on the other Spurs' starters. I would love to see the Spurs upgrade the center position with a player who poses more of a threat to the opposition.

milkyway21
01-20-2006, 12:17 AM
Rasho and Nazr's weak scoring coupled with Bowen's and Rasho's weak rebounding puts enormous pressure on the other Spurs' starters. I would love to see the Spurs upgrade the center position with a player who poses more of a threat to the opposition.

then, who among in the list you think capable of intimidating any team in the league (aside of course of the untouchables Shaq, Yao or Big Ben), and shld replace Rasho on the Spurs' line-up? and Why?

Center
Martynas Andriuskevicius C, Cleveland Cavaliers
Rafael Araujo C, Toronto Raptors
Earl Barron C, Miami Heat
Tony Battie C, Orlando Magic
Andris Biedrins C, Golden State Warriors
Mark Blount C, Boston Celtics
Primoz Brezec C, Charlotte Bobcats
Kwame Brown C, Los Angeles Lakers
P.J. Brown C, New Orleans Hornets
Pat Burke C, Phoenix Suns
Jackie Butler C, New York Knicks
Andrew Bynum C, Los Angeles Lakers
Marcus Camby C, Denver Nuggets
Kelvin Cato C, Orlando Magic
Tyson Chandler C, Chicago Bulls
Jarron Collins C, Utah Jazz
Nick Collison C, Seattle SuperSonics
Eddy Curry C, New York Knicks
Samuel Dalembert C, Philadelphia 76ers
Erick Dampier C, Dallas Mavericks
DeSagana Diop C, Dallas Mavericks
Michael Doleac C, Miami Heat
John Edwards C, Atlanta Hawks
Francisco Elson C, Denver Nuggets
Jeff Foster C, Indiana Pacers
Adonal Foyle C, Golden State Warriors
Dan Gadzuric C, Milwaukee Bucks
Eddie Griffin C, Minnesota Timberwolves
Zendon Hamilton C, Cleveland Cavaliers
David Harrison C, Indiana Pacers
Brendan Haywood C, Washington Wizards
Steven Hunter C, Philadelphia 76ers
Zydrunas Ilgauskas C, Cleveland Cavaliers
Marc Jackson C, New Jersey Nets
Jerome James C, New York Knicks
Ervin Johnson C, Milwaukee Bucks
Dwayne Jones C, Minnesota Timberwolves
Chris Kaman C, Los Angeles Clippers
Mario Kasun C, Orlando Magic
Nenad Krstic C, New Jersey Nets
Mark Madsen C, Minnesota Timberwolves
Jamaal Magloire C, Milwaukee Bucks
D.J. Mbenga C, Dallas Mavericks
Chris Mihm C, Los Angeles Lakers
Brad Miller C, Sacramento Kings
Yao Ming C, Houston Rockets
Mikki Moore C, Seattle SuperSonics
Alonzo Mourning C, Miami Heat
Dikembe Mutombo C, Houston Rockets
Boniface Ndong C, Los Angeles Clippers
Jermaine O'Neal C, Indiana Pacers
Shaquille O'Neal C, Miami Heat
Michael Olowokandi C, Minnesota Timberwolves
Greg Ostertag C, Utah Jazz
Kendrick Perkins C, Boston Celtics
Johan Petro C, Seattle SuperSonics
Pavel Podkolzin C, Dallas Mavericks
Scot Pollard C, Indiana Pacers
Vitaly Potapenko C, Seattle SuperSonics
Joel Przybilla C, Portland Trail Blazers
Peter John Ramos C, Washington Wizards
Theo Ratliff C, Portland Trail Blazers
Zeljko Rebraca C, Los Angeles Clippers
Ha Seung Jin C, Portland Trail Blazers
Brian Skinner C, Sacramento Kings
Amare Stoudemire C, Phoenix Suns
Robert Swift C, Seattle SuperSonics
Kurt Thomas C, Phoenix Suns
Jake Tsakalidis C, Memphis Grizzlies
Jake Voskuhl C, Charlotte Bobcats
Ben Wallace C, Detroit Pistons
Robert Whaley C, Utah Jazz
Chris Wilcox C, Los Angeles Clippers
Loren Woods C, Toronto Raptors
Lorenzen Wright C, Memphis Grizzlies

zeleni
01-20-2006, 07:05 AM
^
Man, u offered me a menu.
I would take Ben Wallace and Jake Tsakalidis and a Jermaine O'Neal to go...and a Sprite please.

Slomo
01-20-2006, 11:27 AM
I usually stay out of these discussion for the simple reason that it is hard to argue about a basketball game if you haven't seen it.

But some guys in this thread are doing just that.

Have you seen the last game? How can you even start defending Nazr's play with the words "well he misses his defensive assignments/spot but...".

Please watch the game. I was embarassed for Nazr when coach Newman was on the court, in the middle of a play, shouting at him!!! The guy has huge problems and as a fan of the team it doesn't really makes me happy that I can defend Rasho's play by pointing out how much Nazr sucks right now.

Do some of you even like the game of Basketball? Things that the Spurs (yes Rasho too) do on the court are a great lesson in Basketball fundametals where everybody has a role/job to do and the team is the one winning and not its individuals. All the great Spurs plays that (sometimes) make the play of the game segment on nba.com have their roots in an interception, a well positioned screen or the way players move without the ball (something I am missing this season btw). You take away these things and the play never happens.

Ask any basketball coach does he prefer a team that gets his plays broken and somehow manages to make the basketball by shear improvisation or a team that regularly executes the plays he has designed?
Bonus question: which one of these two team is more likely to win a championship?

P.S. And for what it's worth I personally think this article was written to fire up Nazr more than it was to praise Rasho.

pache100
01-20-2006, 11:46 AM
:lol
This either proves that the Spurs FO ... know more than the fans. :)

I think that is a foregone conclusion. There is a good reason those people are there (in the front office) and we are here (not in the front office).

BigVee
01-20-2006, 12:32 PM
Regarding the list of players. Are you kidding? There are at least 20 names on that list that I would rather see in a Spurs uniform than #8. And BTW, I have played and coached basketball at several levels and I would much rather have a guy who plays with passion and screws up sometimes than a guy who lumbers around without ever changing expressions, shows little enthusiasm, and says "excuse me" when he bumps into someone. Maybe he needs Duncan screaming in his ear all game. The last couple of minutes of the Bucks game, for the first time in the 200-300 games I have seen him play, Rasho actually looked like he cared whether or not the Spurs would win.

boutons_
01-20-2006, 12:35 PM
"The last couple of minutes of the Bucks game .... Rasho actually looked like he cared whether or not the Spurs would win."

Rasho certainly got the message after the first Spurs/Bucks game that his defensive tactic of "I spectate as my man Bogut beats my team" was totally unacceptable.

Peter
01-20-2006, 01:42 PM
Ask any basketball coach does he prefer a team that gets his plays broken and somehow manages to make the basketball by shear improvisation or a team that regularly executes the plays he has designed?
Bonus question: which one of these two team is more likely to win a championship?

P.S. And for what it's worth I personally think this article was written to fire up Nazr more than it was to praise Rasho.

The problem is that more is expected out of the center position than being in the right spot on offensive plays. He's giving the team nothing on the glass nor in the paint. Not being an interior presence costs the team plenty. There are fewer opportunities for second chances on possessions via offensive boards, more chances for opponents to score due to defensive boards missed and fewer scoring opportunities when you have a center who is extremely weak at going to the hole and drawing contact.

Mohammed is not perfect, but at least he is more willing to do the things that a NBA center is required to do. Sure, Rasho can stay out of his teammates' way on the floor, as well as that of his opponents.

5ToolMan
01-20-2006, 04:31 PM
Regarding the list of players. Are you kidding? There are at least 20 names on that list that I would rather see in a Spurs uniform than #8. And BTW, I have played and coached basketball at several levels and I would much rather have a guy who plays with passion and screws up sometimes than a guy who lumbers around without ever changing expressions, shows little enthusiasm, and says "excuse me" when he bumps into someone. Maybe he needs Duncan screaming in his ear all game. The last couple of minutes of the Bucks game, for the first time in the 200-300 games I have seen him play, Rasho actually looked like he cared whether or not the Spurs would win.

Your playing basketball in preschool and grade school and coaching it at the YMCA makes you an expert? Well alrighty then! :hat

BigVee
01-20-2006, 04:48 PM
Your playing basketball in preschool and grade school and coaching it at the YMCA makes you an expert? Well alrighty then! :hat

Never claimed to be an expert, just my opinion. And by the way, I played at USC then AAU, and coached Varsity level high school. I'm sure that doesn't match up to your credentials?

leemajors
01-20-2006, 04:52 PM
peter, you're an idiot. we don't need a high scoring center. we need one to anchor the defense so duncan can roam more on d. if rasho rebounded better, that would be great. he played well closing our vs milwaukee, i wish he would do that more. nazr really can't do anything right. rasho's screens and picks make our offense better for parker and gino, nazr can only rebound offensively and foul. he can't work the pick and roll, set a screen in the proper position, and he can't hold on to passes. from that you can easily conclude he isn't willing to do most of the things a center is expected to do. if he did all this crap you claim he did, we wouldn't be having this argument because he would be starting. watch a game for once, nazr is not playing anything like he did last season. rasho is definitely a presence inside on d, nazr is not. get a fucking clue

Slomo
01-20-2006, 04:56 PM
The problem is that more is expected out of the center position than being in the right spot on offensive plays. He's giving the team nothing on the glass nor in the paint. Not being an interior presence costs the team plenty. There are fewer opportunities for second chances on possessions via offensive boards, more chances for opponents to score due to defensive boards missed and fewer scoring opportunities when you have a center who is extremely weak at going to the hole and drawing contact.

Mohammed is not perfect, but at least he is more willing to do the things that a NBA center is required to do. Sure, Rasho can stay out of his teammates' way on the floor, as well as that of his opponents.Not what I saw on the floor.

Nazr was geting in the way of his teammates a lot while leaving the lane empty at the other side of the court for easy layups. Look at the tape!

The part I agree with you is that more is expected from an NBA player and that Rasho should contribute in more ways. It is also debatable why things are the way they are and would it really be better if roles were changed.
But anybody who sees Nazr as a better player for the Spurs right now, is not watching the games or is blinded by its hatred of Rasho. Nazr seriously needs to get with the programme or he will lose all the credibility he worked so hard to create during the playoffs (and that will ultimatively cost him a lot of $$$ when his contract is up end of the season).

Bruno
01-20-2006, 05:06 PM
Nazr and Rasho aren't great center.
Rasho is a quite weak rebounder and Nazr has a low BBIQ (leemajors and Slomo have explained it very well).

BTW Rasho is way better than Nazr this year, it's obvious.
:tu Rasho

ChumpDumper
01-20-2006, 05:08 PM
Oh man, I've read too many of these threads. I thought we started comparing their respective barbeque dishes.

leemajors
01-20-2006, 05:20 PM
i think nazr's bbq ability would be limitedby him being muslim, but that's just me. pork is a great bbq'ed item...

ShoogarBear
01-20-2006, 06:38 PM
i think nazr's bbq ability would be limitedby him being muslim, but that's just me. pork is a great bbq'ed item...

You must be from Carolina. In Texas it's beef. :tu

leemajors
01-20-2006, 06:41 PM
i'm from texas, and i see plenty of pork ribs!

gameFACE
01-20-2006, 06:47 PM
That idea is kind of blown since there was an article on Nazr today. Either that or today's article was written to fire up Rasho....................

Dario
01-20-2006, 09:01 PM
Zydrunas Ilgauskas C, Cleveland Cavaliers - not really cheap, but i like his play, better then nazr and rasho
DeSagana Diop C, Dallas Mavericks - aint gonna happen
Kwame Brown C, Los Angeles Lakers - better then nazr offensive, much better defensive, young, but LA will not let him go either
Primoz Brezec C, Charlotte Bobcats - much better then rasho and nazr combined offensive, gets almost as many o boards then d, can finish strong, but also from rasho like distance, gets lost in defensive end, but that is imo because he must come to help outside guys to much on that bobcats team, very cheap considering all other guys (but maybe thats just me coz i m slovenian afcourse)