PDA

View Full Version : Smith - Pacers Have No Problem Hitting The Road.

Pooh
03-02-2004, 06:45 AM
By Sekou Smith
[email protected]
March 2, 2004

The Indiana Pacers' 19-10 road record this season is an accurate reflection of a team that doesn't fear toiling away from Conseco Fieldhouse.

In fact, the Pacers relish the opportunity to test themselves away from home, particularly when it's an extended trip like the four-game Western Conference odyssey they begin tonight in Oakland, Calif., against the Golden State Warriors.

The Los Angeles Clippers, Utah Jazz and Denver Nuggets also will host the Pacers as the week unfolds.

"There are so many times when we're faced with some tough obstacles on the road, and for the most part we've been able to overcome those obstacles," Pacers guard Reggie Miller said. "This (trip) is just another one."

Al Harrington said the road can be a good place for a team that is trying to prepare for a late-season push and playoff run. The fact that Denver is the only opponent on the trip with a winning record is insignificant.

"The West is always tough," Harrington said. "I like the road. Most of my best games come on the road anyway. When you're out there, everything is against you, you have that nothing-to-lose attitude all the time. And most of the time, we're ruining people's day and I like that."

So what constitutes a successful trip for the Pacers?

"A successful trip is 4-for-4," Harrington said. "I guess 3-for-4 would be nice, too. But I'd like the sweep."

Coming back early?

Pacers All-Star forward Ron Artest missed Monday's practice to have his surgically repaired left thumb examined, but he will join the team in California today.

Fellow All-Star forward Jermaine O'Neal said Artest could return to the lineup sooner than expected, although he had not heard anything official.

"I think we may have Ron back this week," O'Neal said. "That would be good for us."

Artest has been on the injured list since his Feb. 19 surgery to repair a torn ligament in his left thumb. He was expected to miss four to six weeks, but started shooting and jumping rope just days after the surgery was completed.

"Talking to him, he's really in a hurry to get back and he feels like he's going to come back," O'Neal said. "This is a guy that did 10 push-ups after he had heart surgery. If he can do that, I'm pretty sure he's going to try to get back."

Artest had surgery to repair a heart problem in the summer of 2002.

Pacers coach Rick Carlisle didn't disagree with O'Neal's unofficial medical update, but did say there had been no word from the medical staff indicating Artest's imminent return.

Sore knee

Carlisle gave O'Neal Monday off to rest his sore right knee and said the Pacers' leading scorer was "probable" for tonight's game.

O'Neal, who is battling tendinitis, said the time between games this week might afford him some much-needed rest.

"My knee is really struggling a lot when I play back-to-back games and play a lot of minutes," O'Neal said. "I definitely want to be able to play these next two games. Then there's a day off after that. And as long as I can put some days between games, I think I can get through the season."