PDA

View Full Version : Is Bagwell officially done?

Spurminator
01-20-2006, 06:57 PM
Fairly old news, but who pays attention to baseball right now?

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2288392

Report: Astros ask Bagwell to retire

Jeff Bagwell intends to play for the Astros this season, but the team isn't sure that's the best financial decision.

The first baseman has played his entire career in Houston and leads the franchise in home runs (449) and RBI (1,529), but missed much of last season after shoulder surgery.

"Nothing is going to keep me from attempting to play baseball next season," Bagwell told the Houston Chronicle.

The team, however, wants him to announce he can't play anymore, he and agent Barry Axelrod told the paper. Then the Astros would be able make an insurance claim for $15.6 million of the approximately $17 million he is owed in 2006.

"We're trying to get some objective information," Astros general manager Tim Purpura told the paper. "A healthy Jeff Bagwell is what we want. If he can't be a full-time player, we have to figure out if we can collect on the insurance or not."

To that end, the team has asked Bagwell to visit orthopedist Dr. James Andrews' office on Thursday in Birmingham, Ala., the Chronicle reported. The deadline for the insurance claim is Jan. 31.

Bagwell isn't excited about the trip, and he's not ready to quit playing.

"There's no question in my mind I can hit," he told the paper. "It's whether or not I can throw for a full season. Everything has gone exactly the way I thought it should. I'm getting stronger. Am I able to throw 120 feet? No. Am I making progress? Very much so.

"I'm going to try and play baseball at spring training. There's no getting around that. Unless something major happens, I'll be there."

midgetonadonkey
01-20-2006, 07:03 PM
I'd sad, but he hasn't been productive in a couple of years. If he really loves the organization, he will retire and save the club some money. If he does, they better retire his number on opening day.

Horry For 3!
01-20-2006, 11:11 PM
I wonder what the Astros will do if he comes back...probably nothing because he has been with them since he started out. But I wonder if he'll play 1B or not, most likely no.

kobe_bryant
01-21-2006, 04:27 PM
this guy should know its time to retire

he fucking blows anal

SequSpur
01-24-2006, 07:38 PM
Bagwell is saying he wants to play and he is going to show up to camp.

The Astros have told him to retire since his shoulder is still jacked up. He somehow thinks that if he was in the American League he could play 5 more years.

Also, he is upset that the Astros are treating him this way and only concerned about money... lmao... 15+ million is nothing to be concerned about?

IMO, Bagwell sucks and needs to hit the road. As for hitting, he blows at that too.

kobe_bryant
01-29-2006, 02:00 AM
finally my man little man sequ is spitting out the right stuff.

fowl play
02-02-2006, 01:17 AM
The stros are just cheap backstabbers. Bagwell signed a backloaded contract so the stros could compete with their cheapskate gm and now that the tab has come due purpura and mclane are going to screw one of the best players to ever put on an astros jersey. If he was medically unable to play why did they put him on the playoffs roster?

Horry For 3!
02-02-2006, 01:19 AM
The stros are just cheap backstabbers. Bagwell signed a backloaded contract so the stros could compete with their cheapskate gm and now that the tab has come due purpura and mclane are going to screw one of the best players to ever put on an astros jersey. If he was medically unable to play why did they put him on the playoffs roster?
He can play but he can't field. They only used him as a pinch hitter.

fowl play
02-02-2006, 01:28 AM
He might be able to play by now- who knows until spring training? I agree that he doesn't bring near as much to the team as he used to, but it just seems wrong to forcibly retire bags just for $$ after all he's done for the stros. I'd say he's more productive than penny hardaway or any number of nba players getting paid while being hurt and contributing nothing. The owners/management signed that contract and should live up to it.

Spurminator
02-02-2006, 12:12 PM
As I understand it, Bagwell still gets paid but the team gets reimbursed a portion for insurance.

It's definitely cold, but it's not like Bagwell's getting screwed on his deal here.

Peter
02-02-2006, 12:29 PM

As I understand it, he'll still get paid regardless. At this point, it would seem in the club's interest to use that $15.6 mil elsewhere.