PDA

View Full Version : Manu's going to be out so an idea

Rummpd
01-20-2006, 10:39 PM
Start Barry who is doing better recently, keep Finley is his normative role.

Man In Black
01-20-2006, 10:47 PM
I agree as long as he attacks to keep the defenses from just waiting for a 3.
He needs to create better spacing by attacking.

Brutalis
01-20-2006, 10:52 PM
I agree. Barry showed some killer instinct and needs to keep it up.

Vingianx
01-20-2006, 10:53 PM
I still think that finley is more consistant than barry.....

Tek_XX
01-20-2006, 10:54 PM
No i think we need Finleys scoring, maybe he might get accustomed to the offense.

TDMVPDPOY
01-20-2006, 10:56 PM
finley and consistant doesnt go together, barry is playin shit because he just needs more touches like finley to get into rythm, plus barry is a chicken shit when it comes to deciding to shoot or not

1Parker1
01-20-2006, 10:57 PM
Start Barry who is doing better recently

Not that I don't think it'd be interesting to start Barry over Finley while Manu is out, but saying "Barry is doing better recently" than Finley is not accurate. This was the first game in a while Barry showed up and left his mark. And the previous 3 or 4 games, Finley was actually playing great.

ace3g
01-20-2006, 11:00 PM
I wonder if now the spurs will bring in James Maye, to have another wing player

spurster
01-20-2006, 11:03 PM
My idea is to pick up another swingman. Who's available? Sprewell, maybe?

1Parker1
01-20-2006, 11:08 PM
My idea is to pick up another swingman. Who's available? Sprewell, maybe?

Sprewell signed with the Clipps weeks ago. And I doubt Spurs have the cap room to add someone like him. Especially since it'd be on a temporary basis.

Solid D
01-20-2006, 11:19 PM
Sprewell signed with the Clipps weeks ago. And I doubt Spurs have the cap room to add someone like him. Especially since it'd be on a temporary basis.

That would be breaking news, Parker.

Rummpd
01-20-2006, 11:20 PM
CLARIFICATION: I meant that Barry was doing better versus what HE had been doing (not him vs. Finley), the advantage I was thinking about was helping Finley define his role with coming at certain times = more an idea than something that I feel very strongly about either way - just an option to throw out for discussion.

Remember that before coming the Spurs Barry started most of his time in Seattle and did that for a short stretch last year as well with Manu off the bench and did pretty good there.

1Parker1
01-20-2006, 11:22 PM
My bad, guys :oops

I remembered reading this, and thought that it was a done deal:

9. Item: In the wake of Maggette's injury and the breakdown of the deal with the Pacers, Clippers point guard Sam Cassell took it upon himself to attempt to lure his former backcourt mate at Minnesota Latrell Sprewell to sign a one-year deal with the Clippers

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/5253500

Solid D
01-20-2006, 11:23 PM
No problem. :)

mikejones99
01-20-2006, 11:28 PM
Start Nick Van X for a few games and Beno for another. They are midgets but can score.

SenorSpur
01-20-2006, 11:31 PM
Good idea. Bones could even help out with ball handling responsibilities. Finley would be able to maintain his "off the bench" rhythm. Splendid idea.

Dre_7
01-20-2006, 11:32 PM
It seems as if at this point in his career, that Finley struggles when he is forced to play ALOT of minutes. I say Finley still starts, just keep his minutes in check.

Tek_XX
01-20-2006, 11:58 PM
It seems as if at this point in his career, that Finley struggles when he is forced to play ALOT of minutes. I say Finley still starts, just keep his minutes in check.

I don't think playing too many minutes is the problem for Finley, maybe it's playing too few.

TwoHandJam
01-21-2006, 12:08 AM
I don't think it has to do with Finley's minutes, I think Finley just isn't a clutch player in big games. Sure he hit some pressure shots against Memphis recently but they aren't a real contender. Against the teams that matter like Detroit and Miami, he's been pretty bad.

Finley is a more consistent scoring threat than Barry but I believe Barry has proven to be more clutch given some of his playoff moments last year. I think they still both have a place on the team but Pop may want Barry on the floor in close games in the fourth.

Despot
01-21-2006, 12:11 AM
Not a bad idea, at this point maybe Finley needs to just get comfortable in a bench role, Jerking him in and out may slow down his progress. Right?

milkyway21
01-21-2006, 12:49 AM
Manu INJURY UPDATE

MIAMI (AP) - San Antonio guard Manu Ginobili was carried into the locker room by teammates after spraining his right ankle in the third quarter of the Spurs' game against Miami on Friday night.

"He'll be out a while, that's for sure," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said after his team beat Miami 101-94. "He sprained it pretty good. It's not broken, but it's sprained pretty good."

Ginobili drove the lane and tumbled awkwardly with 8:59 left in the period, then rolled over and immediately began grabbing the ankle. X-rays were taken and the team said he'd be re-evaluated Saturday.

Ginobili missed eight games earlier this season with a sprained right foot, plus two others in early December with a sprained right ankle - and his teammates are bracing for another long stint without him.

"We already lost him for 10 games and now he's going to be out for another 10 games," said guard Tony Parker, who had 38 points in the Spurs' win. "So it's kind of hard."

Ginobili had eight points Friday.

-----------------

...:cry THIS REALLY SUCKS. Sean, Horry, then, Manu.

and Tim Duncan IS NOT even 100%.

Que Gee
01-21-2006, 10:37 AM
Not that I don't think it'd be interesting to start Barry over Finley while Manu is out, but saying "Barry is doing better recently" than Finley is not accurate. This was the first game in a while Barry showed up and left his mark. And the previous 3 or 4 games, Finley was actually playing great.

Finley played "good" in the 2 games previous to Miami...I wouldn't say he played great at all in the previous 3 or 4?!

One thing about Barry, when he started last year during Manu's injury, his stats were A LOT better than when he came off the bench...and more right on his career averages...I'm not saying start him, but he certainly plays better when he starts.

As for Barry playing better recently...I don't know really how anyone could make that claim. The guy flat out hasn't played lately...look at his last 4 or 5 games. Now he played good last night, but ujfortunately people just say that because he hit a couple of threes. One thing that Barry brings to the floor is passing and ball movement, which the Spurs have been lacking. You don't get that with Finley.

SAGambler
01-21-2006, 10:39 AM
Start Barry who is doing better recently, keep Finley is his normative role.

Works for me.. I think Finley is more comfortable coming off the bench where his role is to be a shooter..

Brent certainly couldn't show worse as a starter than Finley did during his starting role..

boutons_
01-21-2006, 10:55 AM
I agree. Start Brent, let Michael master his backup role.

I've seen some more willingness in Brent to shoot and drive since Michael has been taking his minutes, so let's see how Brent does as starter for the next month.

Brent can't be any worse that Michael's scoring disappearing completely in big games (Pistons x 2, loss @PHX, loss @DAL), plus Brent can pass better and drives more than Michael, who is just a scorer. If Michael doesn't score, he's just taking up space.

2centsworth
01-21-2006, 12:15 PM
This team doesn't need any players, they need chemistry. Brent earned minutes last night. Starting Brent with Fin off the bench makes a whole lot of sense to me. Of course with Pop we'll probably see Nick start at small forward with Bruce spelling Tim.

timvp
01-21-2006, 04:30 PM
I thought the same thing after the game. Start Barry and keep bringing Finley off the bench.

The only downside to that is the Spurs would be giving minutes to Barry and he's not going to see any time in the playoffs as long as everyone is healthy.