PDA

View Full Version : Tony Parker will be great and soon

dbreiden83080
01-21-2006, 12:55 AM
I know he takes a lot of heat from us Spurs fans especially in the playoffs where he has been very up and down. However this guy is just blossoming in front of our eyes as a big time player in this league. I know his jumpshot is not there yet but it is a hell of alot better than in years past and it is only going to get better. you can see Tony is a real hard worker and what i love about him he is fearless, they beat the hell out of him tonight and he kept coming. In another year or 2 when he is hitting that jumper with regularity he will be a 25 or 26 ppg guard in this league no doubt about it. It will be interesting to see what happens with him down the line. We have him another 5 years after this one. By that time if healthy he should be one of the best players in the league. However Timmy will be at the end of the road and we all know once that happens bye bye glory years in San Antonio. I wonder if they resign Tony and rebuild around him at 29 years he will be. Well who knows but he is going to be great and soon boys and girls.

samikeyp
01-21-2006, 12:57 AM
So far, so good. He might have just locked up an all-star spot tonight.

dbreiden83080
01-21-2006, 12:58 AM
Oh if he is not in the ASG they should just cancel it.

Despot
01-21-2006, 01:00 AM
they beat the hell out of him tonight and he kept coming.

I was more impressed with that than anything he has done all year.
I know he did not drive as much in the second half for awhile, but Miami did a good job of focusing on him. Imagine that, Tim Duncan is on your team, and they are trying to stop you. I think that says alot.

Pistons < Spurs
01-21-2006, 01:05 AM
Oh if he is not in the ASG they should just cancel it.

He may still not make it. There are alot of guards that could beat him out. I think he's deserved it, but anything can happen still.

Kobe
Nash
Bibby
Cassel
Davis
Paul
Allen
Richardson

Banks91
01-21-2006, 01:07 AM
He may still not make it. There are alot of guards that could beat him out. I think he's deserved it, but anything can happen still.

Kobe
Nash
Bibby
Cassel
Davis
Paul
Allen
Richardson

No way any of those bolded players make the all-star team over Parker.

No way in fucking hell

T Park
01-21-2006, 01:08 AM
Cassel
Davis

If either of those two, are even CONSIDERED ahead of Tony Parker.

Someone needs a good old nine iron to the groin.

ChumpDumper
01-21-2006, 01:11 AM
I think the only guys on that list who would be clear picks over Tony would be Nash and Bryant, maybe just Kobe now that I think about it. The points in the paint gets him in -- he's making history.

Pistons < Spurs
01-21-2006, 01:34 AM
Davis scores .7 less points pg has .7 more rebounds pg and 3.3 more assists pg
Cassel scores 1.8 less points pg has .2 more rebounds pg and .6 more assists pg
Paul scores 2.7 less points pg has 1.8 more rebounds pg and 1.2 more assists pg
Allen scores 4.8 more points has .3 more rebounds pg and 2.4 less assists pg
Richardson scores 3.4 more points has 2 more rebounds pg and 3.3 less assists pg

All of them beat out TP in 2 of 3 main categories.

All of those guys average more in steals per game except for Bibby,Nash and Cassel

All of them have less turnovers than TP except for Nash

While TP is doing great at points in the paint.......he falls well behind all other players mentioned in 3pt% and in FT% with the exception of Davis

My point here is that numbers are all very comparable. And lets face it, stats are always used as measuring stick to compare all the players.

I'm pulling for TP to make it, but to think he's head and tails above everyone else is silly. Many arguments can be made for alot of players.

What needs to happen, is increase the number of players voted into the All-Star game. The current number of players has not increased even though the league has expended. Doesn't seem fair as every year we see deserving players miss out.

Trainwreck2100
01-21-2006, 01:38 AM
Not necessarily, record does have some bearing, last year Marion made it over Brand, when the coaches voted in 3 Suns.

TDMVPDPOY
01-21-2006, 01:40 AM
GOOD time to trade parker now

ChumpDumper
01-21-2006, 01:42 AM
And lets face it, stats are always used as measuring stick to compare all the players.By the coaches?

I doubt that. I would say most remember how each player performed against his team and how much they had to prepare to deal with them.

History + best in the west team = ASG

Sure, I could be wrong, we'll see.

Pistons < Spurs
01-21-2006, 01:45 AM
Not necessarily, record does have some bearing, last year Marion made it over Brand, when the coaches voted in 3 Suns.

No doubt.

But you could talk about Cassell being responsible for the sudden emergence of the Clippers. They're probably the suprise team of the year largely in part to the play of the alien.

You could talk about Chris Paul putting up numbers comparable to all these other players while being a ROOKIE.

Again, there are alot of reasons someone could argue for any of the mentioned players.

Trainwreck2100
01-21-2006, 01:50 AM
No doubt.

But you could talk about Cassell being responsible for the sudden emergence of the Clippers. They're probably the suprise team of the year largely in part to the play of the alien.

You could talk about Chris Paul putting up numbers comparable to all these other players while being a ROOKIE.

Again, there are alot of reasons someone could argue for any of the mentioned players.

I say Brand makes it, easily, and Cassel gets snubbed or the last spot.

ChumpDumper
01-21-2006, 01:55 AM
I would say Paul gets excluded because he is a rookie in a crowded field and will get his ASGs in good time.

Some of the shine is coming off the Clippers as they are about to be passed up by the Lakers and Wolves and fall to #8.

gospursgojas
01-21-2006, 01:56 AM
I would say that the only guards Tony has to worry about are Nash and Kobe....

PS
Tony strait killed Baron earlier this season....Davis couldnt even stay in front of him. He better not make it over Tony

SequSpur
01-21-2006, 02:08 AM
Tony Parker is the best point guard in the Western Conference.

Check the fuckin record, the points in the paint and the sidekick.

STFU.

slayermin
01-21-2006, 02:23 AM
Tony "Freakin" Parker!

It would be a travishamockery if he doesn't make it to H-Town.

jcrod
01-21-2006, 03:22 AM
Richardson scores 3.4 more points has 2 more rebounds pg and 3.3 less assists pg

All of those guys average more in steals per game except for Bibby,Nash and Cassel

While TP is doing great at points in the paint.......he falls well behind all other players mentioned in 3pt% and in FT% with the exception of Davis

My point here is that numbers are all very comparable. And lets face it, stats are always used as measuring stick to compare all the players.

I'm pulling for TP to make it, but to think he's head and tails above everyone else is silly. Many arguments can be made for alot of players.

What needs to happen, is increase the number of players voted into the All-Star game. The current number of players has not increased even though the league has expended. Doesn't seem fair as every year we see deserving players miss out.

Show me the minutes per game and neither of those players are the 3rd option on the team like TP is. He gives way to TD and Manu (when healthy). You put TP on those teams and his numbers are better period.

jcrod
01-21-2006, 03:30 AM
MPG
TP 34.9
Baron Davis 38
Richardsn 38.9
Allen 38.9
Cassel 34.9
Paul 35.9

Only Cassel is the same, and Paul is on a sorry team where he's free to do more. TP is leading the league in points in the paint. No PG has ever done that. Besides Kobe and Nash, he's in.

genghisrex
01-21-2006, 04:31 AM
After tonight's game, Tony is now tied for the league lead in FG%. Unbelievable.

spursjustice
01-21-2006, 06:42 AM
Bar Kobe and Nash, Tp has held his own pretty well against the other top guards. He'll make the AS team, but it will be close. If only France had a population 1/10 of China....... :)

ShoogarBear
01-21-2006, 07:27 AM
Richardson scores 3.4 more points has 2 more rebounds pg and 3.3 less assists pg1. Parker is a better defender than all of those guys.
2. The Spurs have the best record in the West with a subpar Duncan and a frequently injured Manu. TP is the reason why.

5ToolMan
01-21-2006, 08:29 AM

Kobe
Nash
Bibby
Cassel
Davis
Paul
Allen
Richardson

I am not sure what league you have been watching this year, but only Kobe, Nash and perhaps Allen are near the altitude Tony has been cruising at all year. Paul has been great, but as a rookie not near as deserving as a young established star with two rings and just entering his prime. If it were a fans vote, you may have a point, as most fans lag a few years behind. But the coaches game planning every night know who has been making the Spurs go all year, with both Tim and Manu not near their best yet.

Gin N Juice
01-21-2006, 10:41 AM
Tony has a bit of a swagger to him now and why wouldn't he, he's a 2 time NBA champion, he has his cheese and has one of Hollywood's sexiest women.
All this by the age of 24, most young men this age are still filling their socks with morning love.

Personally I think Eva is the one that brought it all together, not intentionally, but just being the right woman that came into his life at the right time. So it's no wonder his game has climbed a few notches.

Tony is out to prove that he is one of the top point guards in the league so enjoy the ride folks our Tony has grown up and is on a mission.

SAGambler
01-21-2006, 10:53 AM

How many of these guys are hitting 55 percent of their shots?
How many of these guys are in the top 10 in PIP....?

TP deserves to be voted into the ASG...
:elephant

TDMVPDPOY
01-21-2006, 11:15 AM
cant wait till parker is traded

Gin N Juice
01-21-2006, 11:16 AM
cant wait till parker is traded

*yawn*

Dalamar_the_Dark
Since when was rebounding a defining factor for PGs? PGs are rated on their assists and turnovers. Parker has improved on this alot. He also has shown this season that he can carry his team and score when needed. Notice is hes not taking more shots to increase his production. Hes taking better shots. Hes leading the league in FG%. I dont have the stats but I believe that his 3 pt attempts are down. Thats the reason why hes No. 1 in points in the paint. Cause hes getting to the hole and finishing. Duncan and Rasho can open it up for him. Thats also a reason why Rasho is playing more and starting.

If Parker doesnt get voted in by the coaches, its only because Pop bribed them not to vote for any of his team so that they can rest during the all star break. If Duncan gets selected as we all expect, he will call in injured. Its Pop's conspiracy so that we can win the championship.

Bruno
Iverson scores 14.5 more points has .2 more rebounds pg and 1.1 less assists pg
Wade scores 8.2 more points has 3.1 more rebounds pg and 1.7 less assists pg
Carter scores 8.4 more points has 2.8 more rebounds pg and 2.7 less assists pg
Hamilton scores 2.6 more points has 0.2 more rebounds pg and 5.7 less assists pg
Arenas scores 9.6 more points has 1.2 more rebounds pg and 2.7 less assists pg

All of them beat out Billups in 2 of 3 main categories.
All of those guys average more in steals per game except for Hamilton.
All of those guys have a better FG% than Billups.
While Billups is doing great at shooting 3's.......he falls well behind all other players mentioned in FG%

I don't say that Billups don't deserve to do the ASG but just that it's not the better way to judge players.

Both Parker and Billups deserve to be an All star this year. (Billups maybe more than Parker)

nba is not a fantasy league and players are not only chosen with stats (see Manu last year).

SAGambler
01-21-2006, 11:30 AM
If Parker doesnt get voted in by the coaches, its only because Pop bribed them not to vote for any of his team so that they can rest during the all star break. If Duncan gets selected as we all expect, he will call in injured. Its Pop's conspiracy so that we can win the championship.

LOL.. I'm not a big believer in conspiracies, but I must admit at times I do wonder if the Spurs didn't "throw" those two games against Detroit, figuring to give them a false sense of security if they meet in the finals... It just looked too damn easy for Detroit, and having watched a quite a few of other Piston games, I just don't see them beating the Spurs that easily....

1Parker1
01-21-2006, 12:27 PM
Iverson scores 14.5 more points has .2 more rebounds pg and 1.1 less assists pg
Wade scores 8.2 more points has 3.1 more rebounds pg and 1.7 less assists pg
Carter scores 8.4 more points has 2.8 more rebounds pg and 2.7 less assists pg
Hamilton scores 2.6 more points has 0.2 more rebounds pg and 5.7 less assists pg
Arenas scores 9.6 more points has 1.2 more rebounds pg and 2.7 less assists pg

All of them beat out Billups in 2 of 3 main categories.
All of those guys average more in steals per game except for Hamilton.
All of those guys have a better FG% than Billups.
While Billups is doing great at shooting 3's.......he falls well behind all other players mentioned in FG%

I don't say that Billups don't deserve to do the ASG but just that it's not the better way to judge players.

Both Parker and Billups deserve to be an All star this year. (Billups maybe more than Parker)

nba is not a fantasy league and players are not only chosen with stats (see Manu last year).

Damn, a certain Pistons fan just got :owned

Thanks Bruno for pointing out what I wanted, that stats aren't everything. Especially when coaches are looking at them.

Samr
01-21-2006, 12:34 PM
statistical rambling

First, jcrod already nailed you on the obvious differential in the minutes, so I won't pain your ego to bring that up again.

But let's look at what your numbers are really saying:

Davis- .7 more rebounds, 3.3 more assists. First, .7 of anything means exactly jack shit. I cannot recall the last time I looked at two guys and said, "DAMN! That one dude is obviously better. I mean come on! He GRABS LESS THAN ONE REBOUND MORE PER GAME!" Three more assists solid, but it isn't large enough an advantage. And one that the Spurs dominant record more than makes up for.

Cassel- .2 more rebounds, .6 more assists. To call that any kind of numbers gap would be like calling Greg Ostertag any kind of athletic tallent. Also, he plays for the Clippers. And you know full well that no one notices them.

Paul- 1.8 more rebounds, 1.2 more assists. The kid is a rookie in a conference filled with powerful guards. Tim Duncan made it his first year, and he was the exception, because I can assure you this kid is NO Tim Duncan.

Allen- 4.8 more points .3 more rebounds. Tony Parker plays WITH Tim Duncan. In Seattle, Ray Allen IS Tim Duncan. He has to score or his team losses. Oh, and they have been doing the latter at quite the impressive rate this year.

Richardson- 3.4 more points, 2 more rebounds. Richardson has been having a good statistical year, I will give you that. But please, if you could, name one time when a team has had to plan for, and around him, because his night will dictate the outcome of the game. They haven't. And he doesn't. The reason being is that he is nothing more than simply a good sidekick. He's GS's Michael Finley (when Manu is hurt). And guess what? Role players don't make the All-Star Team.

All-Stars do.

Tony Parker does.

spurster
01-21-2006, 03:33 PM
For PGs in the West, Steve Nash has the highest efficiency score, TP is second, and Baron Davis is slightly behind him.

koopa
01-21-2006, 03:42 PM
last night was the first real time that parker impressed me. sure he's had a ton of good games but last night when he got hit he actually didn't coward down like he has done in the past. i liked that he stayed aggresive and i liked that he had some confedence in his shot. that new shooting coach if finally starting to pay off somewhat. hopefully he'll continue this, cause i'm tired of seeing him back down when they put him on the floor a few times

Pistons < Spurs
01-21-2006, 07:08 PM
I see alot of defensive reactions to my earlier posts here. I guess you all assume that I'm saying TP doesn't deserve an All-Star spot. Quite plainly though, I have stated that TP in fact does deserve it.

My intent was to show through the use of stats that TP is not head and shoulders above any of the other players that I mentioned. As Bruno showed, Billups is in the exact same position. He may not make the ASG. It's a reality. Although I do expect him to make it.

Both guards find them in positions where they are competing with many other guards with very similiar production. IMO the biggest advantage both guys have is their teams have the best records in their respective conferences. Other than that, they match up pretty evenly with many other players.

Arguments can be made for all those guards Bruno mentioned..................just as arguments can be made for all the players I mentioned.

The difference is, that I'm not going to be a homer and argue that others players besides my boy Chauncey should not make the ASG. Of course I want/expect him to make it....but I do understand that other players are deserving in their own rights.

Again, I supporrt and expect TP to be there.....but don't get lost in your home team love to think other players are not deserving of the honor aswell.

koopa
01-21-2006, 07:16 PM
yeah billups does deserve to be in the all star game, that's why they shouldn't let fans vote anymore, it's all these little teeny boopin fools that vote. imo billups is the best pg in the league, just cause he is never a liability, he plays defense, he can post you up, he can drive, shoot, pass, and he's clutch. i'd take him over any pg in the league any day of the week. nash may have won the league mvp but billups has a way better by far mvp trophy and that's the finals mvp.

JamStone
01-21-2006, 11:11 PM
You guys are arguing about the all star game.

The all star game.

The all star game.

picnroll
01-21-2006, 11:15 PM
Last five games Parker has averaged 22.5 points on 66% shooting and 75% from the FT line, great for him. Also he's gone 3-3 from the three. Worst game he shot 50%. We can hope/dream Engelland's tutoring is finally kicking in on his outside shot, the magic bullet that makes him unstoppable.

phyzik
01-22-2006, 02:01 AM

The all star game.

The all star game.

:lol :lol :lol

If tony doesnt make the Allstar team and gets really upset about it, you know what I would do if I met him???

this.....

:lol :lol :lol :lol

In otherwords, I Agree with Jamstone, who gives a fuck about the allstar game?

Allstar game = meaningless game in which you have a chance to injure the opponent, everyone participating forgets actual basketball skills and acts like a fucking moron doing dunks that make retards go "oooohhhhh" and "aaaahhh"

Frenchise player
01-22-2006, 06:00 AM
:lol :lol :lol

If tony doesnt make the Allstar team and gets really upset about it, you know what I would do if I met him???

this.....

:lol :lol :lol :lol

In otherwords, I Agree with Jamstone, who gives a fuck about the allstar game?

Allstar game = meaningless game in which you have a chance to injure the opponent, everyone participating forgets actual basketball skills and acts like a fucking moron doing dunks that make retards go "oooohhhhh" and "aaaahhh"
The ASG isn't meaningless. It's the greatest showdown of NBA basketball aside of the finals. It is one of the most broadcasted games in an NBA season.
Every great player of the league has played in it and some of them won the MVP award (Jordan, Magic, Duncan....).
For a player like Parker who wants to be recognize in its own country, it would be great to make the ASG, just for the symbol and because most NBA fans in France would love to have a french in the ASG.
If you're not convinced there is always the fact that all-stars seems to have much more respect from the refs.
The game in itself isn't what's important, but the fact to be there is important.

WalterBenitez
01-22-2006, 06:45 AM
So far, so good. He might have just locked up an all-star spot tonight.

I THINK HE'LL BE in AS!!!, for sure he's leading the NBA (points in the paint) he's fast, he's young he's on Champs team ... and Manu probably not going (injury), so Spurs won't be represented only by TIM, we need 2 or three players there and who else?? TONY is going there in any scenario (at least for me)

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
01-22-2006, 06:50 AM

The all star game.

The all star game.

It's just practice for June...

MI21
01-22-2006, 07:30 AM
A point guard averaging 20/6/4 on 55% on the team with the 2nd best record in the league whilst being one of the top 5-8 starting PG defenders and being generally feared by almost every team.

All Star lock.

Bruno
01-22-2006, 09:17 AM
The difference is, that I'm not going to be a homer and argue that others players besides my boy Chauncey should not make the ASG. Of course I want/expect him to make it....but I do understand that other players are deserving in their own rights.

That's the point where we disagree and it's not related with homerism. (Billups should be a lock for the ASgand I'm not a fan of him)

You don't deserve to be an allstar only by your stats, it's not the most important thing.
Even if you consider more complicated stats as PER, eficiency FG, ballhandling and bad pass turnovers, clutch stats, +/- stats and opponents stats, it's still not enough to judge a player.

Concerning Parker, he is a candidate for the backup PG (nash will start).
If you look at stats for a preselection (stats don't mean nothing too), the other candidates are Paul, Davis, Miller, Bibby and Cassel.
Parker has had more impact than them and deserves to be an allstar (Paul was good too but he is a rookie).
It's quite the same thing concerning Billups (and even more than for Parker)

ducks
01-22-2006, 10:51 AM
the allstar game might be mean jack shit
but alot of players get bonuses if they go
it is written in their contrat

jochhejaam
01-22-2006, 11:00 AM

Kobe
Nash
Bibby
Cassel
Davis
Paul
Allen
Richardson

No way any of those bolded players make the all-star team over Parker.

Parker 3rd best behind Kobe and Nash, definitely should be on the team.

Paul's an up and comer.