PDA

View Full Version : Heat want to re-sign Shaq

ducks
08-30-2004, 12:23 PM
Shaq has Riley on Cloud 9
Whether it's actor and friend Michael Douglas or just a casual acquaintance, Heat president Pat Riley has been greeted with the same reaction everywhere he has gone the past seven weeks.

''Wow!' '' Riley said. ``Everyone I come in contact with, that's all they say. They know our good friend Pat has gone through hell the past two or three years and they know I'm so happy I got a player . . .``Michael Douglas will be down for a few games . . . Jimmy Buffett called me from the middle of Kansas -- he was finishing his CD, License to Chill, and said, `Is this [ Shaquille O'Neal trade] happening for real?'''
Joy, anticipation, disbelief. For Riley, this is what acquiring Shaq has brought to his franchise, its fan base, even his celebrity friends. Since the trade, Riley has attended the first week of the Olympics while piecing together an intriguing supporting cast. He addressed several issues last week:

•*On the pieces around Shaq, Dwyane Wade and Eddie Jones: ''We needed people who could shoot, and we've done that. Damon Jones is perfect for this team. He's a low-turnover guy, an incredibly high three-point shooter. Rasual Butler is going to have a good year. Malik Allen and Udonis Haslem are going to flourish -- they are the perfect compliments for Shaq. We got exactly what we needed with Wesley Person. Our team is very balanced. we need to get a little more toughness, a primary defender who can play against Ron Artest and Richard Jefferson.'' (Miami recently worked out Seattle free agent forward Ansu Sesay.)

•*He said ''there is nothing'' to reports linking Eddie Jones to Memphis. Riley's excited about seeing Jones play with Shaq because Jones has ``a slash and cutting game and you have a center who is a great, great passer. Eddie was third in the league in three-pointers without a post-up game. He will have a prolific season.''

•*How does his team compare to Detroit? ``We have pieces we can match up. There's no doubt this team should be a contender in the Eastern Conference. I'm not going to say this should be a two- or three-year development thing. It's all about now.''
•*He said in the coming months, he would like to extend O'Neal's contract, which has two years left but an opt-out after next season. ''We've had long discussions about it -- it's going to be a partnership,'' Riley said. ``We have to make sure we keep Shaq here and healthy for the next four or five years.''

[b]•*He hasn't spoken with free agent Karl Malone, ``but we would love to talk to him and sign him.''
•*On the sharp rise in ticket sales: ''It's amazing.'' In terms of generating profits for their teams, ``there have been only two players worth the money they earn -- Michael Jordan and Shaquille. . . . I'm just so happy for Micky Arison because he has invested so much money for this team. He built the arena. Now he's reaping some of the rewards.''

•*Riley, who expected the U.S. men to win the gold, was ''stunned'' by the blowout loss to Puerto Rico and said Wade ''has been up and down'' in the Olympics. ``The one thing I abhor [about Olympic basketball], and it drove me from coaching, [is] the zone defense.''

•*Riley has not had recent conversations with Arison about a contract extension beyond next season. He's interested in giving a job in the organization to Bimbo Coles if he retires.
www.miami.com/mld/miamihe...527637.htm (http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/9527637.htm)

SpursFanInAustin
08-30-2004, 12:33 PM
Will you get over the lovefest for Malone? His coattail ridin ass aint comin here, ducks. We're stuck with Malik and Horry for another year. Get used to it. I'd love nothing more than to finally beat Malone in a playoff series. If he stays in LA, he won't be as aggressive guarding Tim without Shaq backing him up in the middle.

T Park Num 9
08-30-2004, 12:51 PM
SFIA

will you get over your childish hatred, and push to have a hall of famer brought in and help this team out.

Medvedenko
08-30-2004, 01:00 PM
Yeah...the Heat can match up with the Pistons...just like the Lakers in the Finals.....give me a break....
Payton-Wade
Bryant-Jones
George-Butler
Malone-Haislip
Shaq-Shaq....

Who the hell is on their bench..oh yeah Damon Jones, and Wesley Person...please. Riley is full of Shit....believing the hype...now the team won't suck, probably end up with a better record than the Lakers...but still not going anywhere.

adidas11
08-30-2004, 01:14 PM
The Heat will be alright. I wouldn't be surprised to see them win the east this season.

SpursFanInAustin
08-30-2004, 02:00 PM
will you get over your childish hatred, and push to have a hall of famer brought in and help this team out.

Sorry but the longer time Malone takes to sign with a team, the chances don't bode well for SA in landing him. Word is that he's staying in LA anyway, he's just waiting for the Kobe trial to be over. And if Kobe is convicted (which is unlikely), he'll sign with the Heat. The only way he signs with SA is if Kobe is convicted and Shaq is out for the year with an injury.

gettym
08-30-2004, 07:58 PM
karl malone is a jackass anyways, how many times has he elbowed david robinson in the face? seriously.

T Park Num 9
08-30-2004, 08:10 PM
nobody cares about that now.

Robinson was a friend of his, hes forgiven him.

David moved on, time for us to move on to.

Bring Malone in.....

ducks
08-30-2004, 08:37 PM
pretty bold saying that it would not suprise you if heat have number one seed
they lost several players and gained one player
yes he is good but will he be in shape?
he normal gets in shape by jan
and kobe carries him tell then
will wade be able to do that?
lakers had enough talent to get a good seedign or number one seeding last year without shaq being in shape
pistons,pacers will be tough to beat on for number one seed