PDA

View Full Version : Any update on Manu??

bonesinaz
01-21-2006, 12:59 PM
I have searched a little this morning and can't find an update for today.

Solid D
01-21-2006, 01:01 PM
Manu may not even be awake yet from the flight back...much less get another exam.

bonesinaz
01-21-2006, 01:05 PM
Thanks. I got up late myself and just had my first coffee.

I am not a very patient person. :)

Despot
01-21-2006, 01:08 PM
He is going to be re-evaluated today.

5ToolMan
01-21-2006, 02:03 PM
Manu may not even be awake yet from the flight back...much less get another exam.

You can bet his slumber has been disturbed some to administer different forms of therapy to treat the condition, even if at his home.

I agree, there is no reason to rush the MRI. I expect that late this afternoon or tonight.

Vashner
01-21-2006, 02:04 PM
MRI friggin suck.. luck they are $$$ so they can just use the open table one.

fraga
01-21-2006, 02:30 PM
THIS JUST CAME IN OVER THE WIRE....

Manu is all f*cked up....that is all...

himat
01-21-2006, 03:28 PM
i think he'll be out for a while. first x-rays were negative.

bonesinaz
01-21-2006, 06:22 PM
Looked again and still nothing on new on Manu. Reports are flying all over the place and people are guessing he will be out anywhere from a few weeks to a few months.

I am hoping for a grade 1 or 2 sprain. I know it looked really bad yesterday, but I am still hoping for the best. X-rays can show some soft tissue swelling, but were taken to rule out fracture. Since x-ray was negative (no break) I am waiting to hear MRI results (and hoping there is no ligament tear).

Obviously I do not live in SA, so if anyone hears anything new, please let me know.

efrem1
01-21-2006, 06:48 PM
Watching the Kansas-Nebraska game, I thought I saw a report on their ticker that Manu would be out 4-6 weeks. Could have beena lot worse, but with the rodeo trip coming up, this is bad timing. :(

whitelyt
01-21-2006, 06:49 PM
I saw the game last night and really felt bad for Manu. The replay showed it to be a severe sprain. Let's hope that he is not out too long. It's bad to loose him to injury but to loose him again is a bit much. I respect his game and the way he lays himself out for the play. The downside to that is you open yourself up to injury.

It's a good thing he is in good shape and not as big as Shaq then it could have been much worse... broken ankle or torn ligaments.

Get well soon...

Budkin
01-21-2006, 07:07 PM
Sorry for being somewhat ignorant on this, but what exactly does it mean when they say x-rays are negative? I always thought it meant they were non-conclusive. In this case, do we know that Manu's ligaments are not torn?

Brutalis
01-21-2006, 07:18 PM
Sorry for being somewhat ignorant on this, but what exactly does it mean when they say x-rays are negative? I always thought it meant they were non-conclusive. In this case, do we know that Manu's ligaments are not torn?
Means there are no breaks, or torn tendons and stuff like that.

When they say negative they mean it's nothing too serious.

Kori Ellis
01-21-2006, 07:22 PM
Can they even see tendons on xrays? I thought that's what MRI's were for - tendons and ligaments.

SpurDawg
01-21-2006, 07:22 PM
X-rays were negative just means no bones were broken...just as a negative MRI just means that no ligaments or tendons were torn. In other words, the worst posible thing did not happen so there were no negative consequences, which is of course, a positive...so you are still left with your chickens chasing your eggs, or was it the other way...

Solid D
01-21-2006, 07:39 PM
I've always thought that regardless of the test, whether x-rays, mammograms, or whatever... when test results come back "negative" it means "normal".

exstatic
01-21-2006, 07:40 PM
Can they even see tendons on xrays? I thought that's what MRI's were for - tendons and ligaments.

I think they could see a severe tear. The MRI can spot lesser damage and give a better idea of the grade of the sprain.

Sorry, I watched the same game as everyone else, and while Manu turned it, it wasn't nearly as bad looking as Tim's last year in the Detroit game. I almost puked watching that one. His ankle actually rolled at least 90 degrees, to where it was the side of his foot on the floor.

He could be out for a while, though, considering that it's the same foot he's had trouble with all year.

spurschick
01-21-2006, 07:43 PM
Watching the Kansas-Nebraska game, I thought I saw a report on their ticker that Manu would be out 4-6 weeks. Could have beena lot worse, but with the rodeo trip coming up, this is bad timing. :(

The only ticker reports I've seen are regarding Gerald Wallace being out 4-6 weeks with an ankle sprain, but there has been no word on Manu yet.

WalterBenitez
01-22-2006, 08:42 AM

Could you post any info, as soon as he get up? :lol

bonesinaz
01-22-2006, 01:21 PM

A negative x-ray means no broken bones or dislocations in this particular case.

bonesinaz
01-22-2006, 01:26 PM

Sometimes a tendon or other soft tissue is highly visible on x-ray. It depends on what the study is done for. There are x-ray techniques that can demonstrate soft tissue.

In this particular case, the x-ray was taken to rule out a fracture or severe swelling (which may indicate a complete tear or otherwise undetected fracture).

You are correct in thinking that an MRI is usually the best way to visualize soft tissue.

bonesinaz
01-22-2006, 01:30 PM
I saw the game last night and really felt bad for Manu. The replay showed it to be a severe sprain. Let's hope that he is not out too long. It's bad to loose him to injury but to loose him again is a bit much. I respect his game and the way he lays himself out for the play. The downside to that is you open yourself up to injury.

It's a good thing he is in good shape and not as big as Shaq then it could have been much worse... broken ankle or torn ligaments.

Get well soon...

There is no way simply from watching the mechanism of injury on TV to determine if his sprain was severe (grade 3= full tear) or not.

A severe sprain by definition means that there would have been a complete tear of a ligament.

angel_luv
01-22-2006, 09:56 PM
Gino was in his forum chat. I asked him how he was feeling. He told me: " I'm good, well... i'm ok." and the injury " is not as bad as it looked."
I forgot to ask him how long he expects to be out. :oops

But anyway, Gino seems to be in good spirits. He said he was " watching SPEED CHANNEL and then EXTREME MAKEOVER home edition with wifey" :lol

Sportman
01-22-2006, 10:02 PM
I forgot to ask him how long he expects to be out. :oops

Well i can help you with that, he said he will be out between 7 and 10 days, thatīs excellent!!!!

angel_luv
01-22-2006, 10:35 PM
I couldn't keep up with all the Spanish. :lol Thanks!

smeagol
01-22-2006, 11:39 PM
Well i can help you with that, he said he will be out between 7 and 10 days, thatīs excellent!!!!
I'll be praying 'cause I've got tickets for the game against the Nets on 2/10

angel_luv
01-22-2006, 11:58 PM
I'm praying too. I hope you get to see him. =)

T Park
01-23-2006, 12:38 AM
Im praying as well.

This team is a 56% second round, maybe first round, and out team without Ginobili.

sa_butta
01-23-2006, 10:16 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA012306.6E.BKNspurs.notebook.7e62649.html

Spurs notebook: Ginobili regains optimism

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer
After the Spurs returned home early Saturday morning, Manu Ginobili turned on the television and surfed through the channels until he found highlights of the team's victory in Miami.

Soon enough, Ginobili found himself watching a slow-motion replay of his ankle buckling after he stepped on the foot of Heat forward Udonis Haslem while driving to the basket.

"I wanted to see because I didn't remember who I stepped on or how it happened," Ginobili said.

His reaction?

"It made me sweat."

Ginobili said he was in considerable pain immediately after the injury, though he began to feel a little better on the flight home.

"When I went to the doctor to do the X-rays (in the arena) it was killing me," Ginobili said. "But I woke up the next morning and I could walk.

"I went from being very upset and sad to having a good sense of humor because I realized it wasn't probably as bad as I thought."

Ginobili was walking with only a slight trace of a limp Sunday.

Although the Spurs expect him to be out one to two weeks, Ginobili didn't want to predict a date for his return. After spraining the same foot Dec. 12, he thought he would be able to come back fairly quickly but needed two weeks to regain his full range of motion.

"The last part of the rehab is the hardest," Ginobili said.

He's back: Melvin Sanders was watching the Spurs game against Miami and saw Ginobili get hurt. Shortly after the game ended, his telephone rang.

Dell Demps, the Spurs director of pro player personnel, was calling to offer him a 10-day contract.

Sanders, who was in Fayetteville, N.C., left at 3:45 a.m. to drive to Raleigh and catch a 6a.m. flight. He arrived in San Antonio in time for the Spurs' practice.

"I just packed up my stuff and pretty much left that night," Sanders said.

Sanders has grown used to his nomadic season. He was the last player cut by the Spurs in training camp but re-signed with the team Nov. 9 — about an hour before a game in Charlotte — when Michael Finley and Brent Barry got injured.

Sanders appeared in five games, averaging 2.2 points and 2.6 rebounds in 11.6 minutes, before the Spurs waived him Nov.19. He joined the Fayetteville Patriots of the NBA's developmental league in part to be available should an NBA team call.

Sanders, who averaged 20.6 points and 5.0 points in five games with Fayetteville, understands his latest stay also might not last long.

"You just have to come in do what you can do and let everything else take care of itself," Sanders said. "You appreciate every second that you're here. It's all a process. You have to be humble and play hard."

Team comes first: It's been a frustrating season for Spurs center Nazr Mohammed, and Sunday's game against the Denver Nuggets was no exception.

Even when Mohammed gets it right, things seem to turn out wrong.

Mohammed had his best game of the season against the Nuggets, with season highs in both points and rebounds.

The Spurs' loss spoiled any satisfaction Mohammed might have taken from his own play.

"Of course, I'm happy to get on the court and help," said Mohammed, averaging only 12.6 minutes this season before logging a season-high 30 Sunday, "but I'm not happy with the loss. It's really disappointing, losing at home.

"I'm always kind of hard on myself. I think more of the mistakes I make. Rebounding and scoring, that's what I'm supposed to do. But the mistakes hurt."

Briefly: Spurs coach Gregg Popovich received a technical with 10.3 seconds left in the second quarter when he complained that Carmelo Anthony used an elbow to push off Bruce Bowen before making a layup. ... Sunday was the final day for fans to turn in All-Star ballots. In last week's returns, Tim Duncan led Minnesota's Kevin Garnett by 65,957 votes in the race for the Western Conference's second forward position. Houston's Tracy McGrady leads all West forwards. ... The Spurs have billboards around town incorrectly listing the date of the Charlotte game. The Spurs play host to the Bobcats on Tuesday, not today.

WalterBenitez
01-23-2006, 02:15 PM
After the Spurs returned home early Saturday morning, Manu Ginobili turned on the television and surfed through the channels until he found highlights of the team's victory in Miami. :bang

bonesinaz
01-23-2006, 03:30 PM
Thanks everyone for the updates.