PDA

View Full Version : Ludden: Spurs' Ginobili will miss several contests

Kori Ellis
01-22-2006, 01:11 AM
Spurs' Ginobili will miss several contests

Web Posted: 01/22/2006 12:00 AM CST
Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA012206.1C.BKNspurs.ginobili.3369498.html

He wore a No. 20 jersey, displayed that familiar feathery touch on his jump shot, spun through the lane with the fury of a cyclone and punched in one dunk after another.

He also was P.J. Carlesimo's 3-year-old son.

While Kyle Carlesimo wowed onlookers Saturday afternoon by replicating the playing styles of various Spurs on his pint-sized hoop — he thankfully shares neither Tim Duncan's shaky free-throw stroke nor his father's salty vocabulary — he won't provide much help today unless the NBA lowers the AT&T Center's rims 7 feet.

Unfortunately for the Spurs, Kyle's favorite player also will remain vertically challenged for the immediate future. Manu Ginobili is expected to miss one to two weeks after spraining his right ankle during Friday's victory in Miami.

Considering how seriously Ginobili appeared to injure himself, the Spurs welcomed Saturday's prognosis as somewhat good news.

Ginobili's ankle buckled after he stepped on the foot of Heat forward Udonis Haslem during a drive to the basket early in the third quarter. Rarely one to show much pain, Ginobili crumbled to the court and had to be carried to the locker room.

"When you see it on replay," Tony Parker said, "it looks like he broke it."

Ginobili was able to put some weight on his foot before the team flew home from Miami. By Saturday afternoon, he had already started his rehabilitation program, performing balancing exercises on the sideline while his teammates practiced.

Brent Barry, who worked with the first unit Saturday, is expected to start in Ginobili's place this afternoon against Denver. The Spurs also will sign rookie guard Melvin Sanders, who appeared in five games in November, to a 10-day contract.

"Hopefully," Michael Finley said, "we can keep this boat sailing until Manu gets back."

Ginobili already has missed 10 games this season because of injuries to the same foot. He suffered a bone bruise on his ankle early last month, then sprained his right mid foot in practice Dec. 12.

Though Ginobili's latest injury is different from his previous two, the strengthening exercises he used while recovering last month may have kept him from being hurt more seriously Friday. Last week, Ginobili said his foot felt like "new." His play also had steadily improved over the past month.

"I just feel so bad for Manu," Tim Duncan said. "He was right back in the mix, he was starting to feel good and this happens again. It's tough not only for the team, but especially him.

"It's the same thing again. We'll just have to piecemeal it together."

With Ginobili returning to the starting lineup eight days ago, Spurs coach Gregg Popovich had hoped to more clearly define his players' roles. If matchups allow, Finley will probably continue to come off the bench while Ginobili is out to maintain some consistency.

"If I go back to starting, it's like they're yo-yoing me," Finley said. "And I think they want to keep me as comfortable as possible."

Nick Van Exel also may get more minutes alongside Parker, including today against the Nuggets, who start point guards Andre Miller and Earl Watson together. As a result, Beno Udrih may receive some time backing up Parker.

Sanders joined the Spurs at practice Saturday, providing another athletic defender.

After the Spurs waived Sanders on Nov. 19, he signed with the Fayetteville Patriots of the NBA's developmental league. He was averaging 20.6 points and 5.0 rebounds in five games when the Spurs called him late Friday.

Robert Horry also will sit out his third consecutive game today with a lower abdominal strain. Popovich hopes he'll be back by the end of the week.

Depending on how quickly he recovers, Ginobili is expected to miss between three to seven games.

"It's not devastating, but it's a real pain in the neck," Popovich said. "Everybody kind of knew where they were going to be. Now we have to flip-flop everything again.

"In that sense it's difficult, but every team goes through it. It's part of the journey."

Popovich considered bringing in another player after Saturday's practice, but was rebuffed by his top assistant.

"P.J.'s pretty hard on Kyle," Popovich said. "He won't let us sign him until he develops that left hand."

Kori Ellis
01-22-2006, 01:13 AM
Brent Barry, who worked with the first unit Saturday, is expected to start in Ginobili's place this afternoon against Denver. The Spurs also will sign rookie guard Melvin Sanders, who appeared in five games in November, to a 10-day contract.

Hopefully Barry can put up some decent stats and Finley can continue to get acclimated to coming off the bench. It will suck if Barry is bad and they have to make Finley the starter, then they'll have to shuffle him back to the bench when Manu returns.

valluco
01-22-2006, 01:18 AM
Out 3 to 7 games is better than what I thought it was going to be.

Spurologist
01-22-2006, 01:40 AM
The reply of the injury didn't look good at all. Glad it is not a major long term injury. I just hope a gets long stretch playing with the team (injury free) heading into the playoffs. It won't be good if he keeps getting injuries and having to work himself back into game condition and into the flow of the offense.

Barry needs to step up now.

"If I go back to starting, it's like they're yo-yoing me," Finley said. "And I think they want to keep me as comfortable as possible."

team-work
01-22-2006, 02:05 AM
Manu's starting helps to "provide some consistency" to the team, said Popovich. So it is a great improvement for Manu in Pop's mind. (In the past, the coach sometimes disagreed with his player's reckless drive to the rim and forgetting the team. eg. during last season's playoffs, when Manu struggled against Detriot or other teams.)

T Park
01-22-2006, 02:10 AM
For some reason, I think the game against Miami, nailing those threes in the clutch will help Barry.

Of course, we thought that after the big Phoenix win where Manu scored 48, and Barry bagged a bunch of clutch 3s.

Barry stepped up in game 2 against Detroit last year.

This year, no Demarr Johnson flying at him, or Camby at the rim to intimidate.

Be agressive Brent, lets see that great 7 million dollar man we saw Friday night!!!!

Marcus Bryant
01-22-2006, 02:29 AM
So the Spurs have no depth at the wings and the depth they have in the frontcourt sucks.

Go Spurs Go!

T Park
01-22-2006, 02:35 AM
Did the frontcourt depth suck against the Heat?

Question

WalterBenitez
01-22-2006, 05:47 AM
:depressed Here we go again, Manu outlined... Damnn I saw that move thru traffic was terrible.

Manu must see how well TP "walk" "run" thru traffic in the paint :oops

btw, I liked the Finley's word ...he was playing well from the bench.

spurschick
01-22-2006, 09:41 AM
"I just feel so bad for Manu," Tim Duncan said. "He was right back in the mix, he was starting to feel good and this happens again. It's tough not only for the team, but especially him."

My sentiments exactly. :depressed

bonesinaz
01-22-2006, 01:39 PM
Good, sounds like no tear.

Thank God.

angel_luv
01-22-2006, 06:12 PM
Ginobili's ankle buckled after he stepped on the foot of Heat forward Udonis Haslem during a drive to the basket early in the third quarter. Rarely one to show much pain, Ginobili crumbled to the court and had to be carried to the locker room.

"When you see it on replay," Tony Parker said, "it looks like he broke it."

Ginobili was able to put some weight on his foot before the team flew home from Miami. By Saturday afternoon, he had already started his rehabilitation program, performing balancing exercises on the sideline while his teammates practiced.

God is good- definitely answered some prayers.

Popovich considered bringing in another player after Saturday's practice, but was rebuffed by his top assistant.

"P.J.'s pretty hard on Kyle," Popovich said. "He won't let us sign him until he develops that left hand."

:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao