PDA

View Full Version : Oberto's development

vanvannen
01-23-2006, 12:25 PM
I think Fabricio looked pretty solid against Miami and Denver. It doesn't probably show all that much in his stats line, but he was very active setting screens, playing good one on one D and hustling.
Though I don't think he is starting material yet, I guess he is not the scrub most Spurs fans on this board thought he was.
If he continues getting playing time we could have a solid big man off the bench come playoff time.

What say you?

leemajors
01-23-2006, 12:30 PM
i think he will be very useful come playoff time, if he keeps up the activity on the boards and keeps the fouls down. i liked how barry got him involved in the first half - i think he got 2 o boards on one posession. one was from his own shot but i liked the energy.

Peter
01-23-2006, 12:41 PM
It's amazing how Oberto's average hustle and rebounding looks spectacular when compared with the team's other centers.

austinfan
01-23-2006, 01:07 PM
Of course it's too early to tell, but I wonder if Oberto is having a bit of a breakthrough moment right now, where he's climbing up to a higher level of play after having absorbed the groundrules of the NBA? He's getting better at positioning himself, and he seems to have an instinctive feel for where his teammates are on the court, and he seems like he's gaining more confidence out there. The main thing I like about him is that he's got just a real grind-it-out commitment to each game--actually to each play, just like Manu--that's impressive (although without Manu's flights of genius, obviously).

wildbill2u
01-23-2006, 01:10 PM
The guy is not an overpowering phyysical player, but he is smart, knows positioning and can pass. Dunno about his shooting yet because most of his shots were layups because of his ability to roll to the basket after the pick.

He'll be a good addition to the rotation by playoff time because you can teach a defensive system but you can't teach 'smart'

vanvannen
01-23-2006, 01:16 PM
I hear what you're saying. Oberto is not a gifted athlete, but he has above average offensive awareness and is the ultimate team player, just like Manu.
I think with more minutes on him he will be very useful after the all star break.

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-23-2006, 01:51 PM
I like Oberto. That said, people should realize his recent PT for what it is - someone filling Horry's minutes while he gets healthy.

Once Horry returns Oberto will go back to the first year hell that is the end of the Spurs bench.

SenorSpur
01-23-2006, 09:01 PM
It seemed as though he got his shot opportunities were made easier by his positioning and his ability to roll to the basked. I don't recall seeing him take a bad shot during a game this year. He doesn't force things, he plays within the framework and flow of the team.

Hey, this dude is a fundamentally sound, and very smart player. Fits the mold of most international players.

ALVAREZ6
01-23-2006, 09:05 PM
:tu

Keep it up Fabricio.

Brutalis
01-23-2006, 09:09 PM
Ya Fabri been coming along well.

T Park
01-23-2006, 09:43 PM
Id keep playing Oberto, and see if he can keep it up.

Obviously tommarow is not a good litmus test, but wednesday night, is a much better test.

MannyIsGod
01-23-2006, 10:13 PM
He's a smart player, and if he could get a few more rebounds I'd love him.

Solid D
01-24-2006, 12:06 AM
He played his best defensive games the past 2 games. His switches were good off the screens, baseline help was more instinctive, and he bothered several shots. It's finally starting to click with him.

boutons_
01-24-2006, 01:33 AM
I think Fabricio is beginning to play again like he's played all his career, gaining some confidence as a Spur and as NBA player, and acceptance by the Spurs, rather than thinking how to play.

His steady hustle and BB IQ are miles ahead of Nazr, whose extra inches don't offset his BB stupidity and spotty hustle.

orhe
01-24-2006, 01:37 AM
he sets a very good screen :D probably the best screener on the spurs

TDMVPDPOY
01-24-2006, 02:26 AM
The real question is, had his 1cm of the ground leap improved or waht?

my2sons
01-24-2006, 10:54 AM
oberto may play a bit more than some think, i disagree that horry will get his minutes back immedidiately if healthy. i think pop will use this opportunity to continue to develop oberto and rest horry even more. he knows what horry has to offer and needs him in the playoffs more than now, so if fabio keeps getting better that can only help the team come playoff time.

leemajors
01-24-2006, 10:57 AM
The real question is, had his 1cm of the ground leap improved or waht?

you don't have to leap out of the building to play well or get good position. duncan doesn't have the world's greatest vertical either... stromile swift can jump 20 feet and can't play for shit.

manubili
01-24-2006, 11:35 AM
Oberto knows that this is one of the last chances he has to make the biggest step on his career. Man, i would be in panic if I was him. i keep thinking he'll be starting in the playoffs. And yes, i'm a biased argentine mofo. And It's wishfull thinking. But things are starting to happen.

pache100
01-24-2006, 11:42 AM
Of course it's too early to tell, but I wonder if Oberto is having a bit of a breakthrough moment right now, where he's climbing up to a higher level of play after having absorbed the groundrules of the NBA? He's getting better at positioning himself, and he seems to have an instinctive feel for where his teammates are on the court, and he seems like he's gaining more confidence out there. The main thing I like about him is that he's got just a real grind-it-out commitment to each game--actually to each play, just like Manu--that's impressive (although without Manu's flights of genius, obviously).

Yes, I agree about learning the groundrules, positioning strategy, and picking up confidence. I think he's also pretty much got it figured out what is and is not a foul (and that that changes from second to second, :lol ).

SAGambler
01-24-2006, 11:59 AM
I would like to see Pop put Oberto on the floor for at least 20 minutes a game for at least 8 or 10 games straight.. Then analyze where he is and how well he will fit in come playoff time...

You just have to feel like the guys got some talent or the Spurs wouldn't have bothered to bring him here...

spurjur
01-24-2006, 12:41 PM
I like Oberto. I'm glad to see him get more minutes. I'm sorry to see Horry hurt and sitting, but it does open the door for Oberto so that the Spurs can see where he is. So far, so good. I think he will be valuable in the post season if he continues to learn and hustle like he's doing now.

doldrums
01-24-2006, 02:02 PM
when does horry return?

ducks
01-24-2006, 03:06 PM
I think horry should not rush back
he is here for playoffs only anyhow

keep him fresh

Manu4Three
01-24-2006, 05:01 PM
I'd like to see him 18-20 minutes tonight,
he need more time for to develop and can fit
into the Spurs's system.

ALVAREZ6
01-24-2006, 05:07 PM
If only he were athletic....

Manu4Three
01-24-2006, 05:12 PM
If only he were athletic....
But he's smart and can make it up for.

Budkin
01-24-2006, 11:56 PM
Well, he looked pretty good against the 'cats. Is it time to give our two headed center a third head? :lol Seriously though, Oberto seems like if he could just get some minutes he'd be pretty solid.

T Park
01-25-2006, 12:10 AM
Id move Oberto ahead of Mohammed in the rotation.

Hes improved 1000% since the beginning of the year.

Solid D
01-25-2006, 12:11 AM
He's getting Horry's minutes. When injuries happen, it's great to have talent like him.

It's especially nice with his knowledge of spacing, his court vision and passing, and just basic things like an effective dribble hand-off screen - particularly his footwork on them to impede over or under defenders.

Solid D
01-25-2006, 02:37 AM
One more comment about Fabricio. Although it has been quite disappointing to see him struggle some against some of the bigger post players and with his understanding of the Spurs' schemes...it is somewhat satisfying to see him start to show what he had shown over the past several years for the National Team and in Spain. In my mind, this guy was Spurs material and it's good to see him finally here and making some impact.

He's not long enough nor athletic enough to defend one-on-one against some of the major NBA "bigs", but he is a consumate team player. How many tip-outs did he have against Charlotte to keep trips alive? Must have been at least four. He had a lot to do with the Spurs blowing their 4-point lead out to 13 after he came in for Timmy for his first 9-10 minutes of play.

ace3g
01-25-2006, 02:44 AM
another thing oberto has over nazr is his passing, he had 5 assists tonight; plus like solid D but taking it a step further, Oberto doesnt look lost on the defensive end of the court, which means he is understanding the spurs defensive scheme

Kori Ellis
01-25-2006, 02:52 AM
How many tip-outs did he have against Charlotte to keep trips alive? Must have been at least four. He had a lot to do with the Spurs blowing their 4-point lead out to 13 after he came in for Timmy for his first 9-10 minutes of play.

Very, very true.

His ability to tap out is great -- Sometimes he can't reach the rebounds, but he can at least tap them out and keep them in play. I'm starting to like him more and more.

mathbzh
01-25-2006, 06:07 AM
He's not long enough nor athletic enough to defend one-on-one against some of the major NBA "bigs",

It is true. But how many major NBA "bigs" remains? Against most teams Oberto can help. That is all we need.

vanvannen
01-25-2006, 08:46 AM
As someone already mentioned, a very important aspect of his game is his shot selection. He shot 4-4FG and 2-2FT last night. He doesn't rush things, he just lets his game come to him.

leemajors
01-25-2006, 10:08 AM
he is not the biggest or the quickest, but he does have a great sense of timing, his tipouts for offensive rebounds were timed perfectly. hopefully he'll see more minutes tonight.

Obstructed_View
01-25-2006, 10:10 AM
So now we know everybody on the roster is pretty good. Time to make everybody else in the league look like the Bobcats.

waly.mg
01-25-2006, 10:47 AM
It is true. But how many major NBA "bigs" remains? Against most teams Oberto can help. That is all we need.

Yes, Oberto can´t work with the major NBA Bigs, but .... Can Rasho? Can Nazr ? No one in the NBA can Stop Shaq, no one can stop KG or Yao´s Skyhook, so why we Want a Guy who can stop them if there aren´t this player

wildbill2u
01-25-2006, 04:16 PM
Very, very true.

His ability to tap out is great -- Sometimes he can't reach the rebounds, but he can at least tap them out and keep them in play. I'm starting to like him more and more.

I'd like to see him get some minutes at PF when Tim is out of the game. He should be able to handle PFs better than some of the taller centers. And his passing and shooting would remain the same.

Solid D
01-25-2006, 04:42 PM
I'd like to see him get some minutes at PF when Tim is out of the game. He should be able to handle PFs better than some of the taller centers. And his passing and shooting would remain the same.

If you saw the game last night, that's what you saw. Fabricio came in for Tim at the 4 and Nazr came in for Rasho at the 5. That combination took the lead from 4 out to 13.

He's getting Horry's minutes.

Phenomanul
01-25-2006, 04:45 PM

Yes... but would you do this at the expense of Horry's minutes (assuming Horry were healthy).... ???

leemajors
01-25-2006, 05:47 PM
Yes... but would you do this at the expense of Horry's minutes (assuming Horry were healthy).... ???

like duncan said last year... horry just lumbers around until the playoffs. i don't think it would hurt him to play less during the regular season. obviously, if the game means a lot and we need his experience/effort he will be in. let oberto play a little more if horry's old bones need a rest in a b2b situation.

SouthernFried
01-25-2006, 06:14 PM
Ya, Oberto has some good potential at PF. I think he could be the perfect backup for Timmy. Always liked his court awareness, passing, and patience...doesn't rush things, similar to Timmy. Sets good screens off the ball as well.

Still not too sure on overall rebounding and Defense yet. I think he probably has some good scoring potential too, but haven't been able to see much of it. He's very active. Sorta like a bigger Manu in the hustle area.