PDA

View Full Version : 6 rings?

romsey31
01-23-2006, 03:53 PM
Bulls dynasty...take out MJ insert Kobe...do the bulls win 6 championships?

leemajors
01-23-2006, 04:03 PM
maybe with an older kobe. not the present time kobe.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
01-23-2006, 04:20 PM
Sure, why not...

timvp
01-23-2006, 04:24 PM
I doubt it.

I think Kobe is even more talented than MJ, but MJ was the ultimate competitor. Jordan lived to win.

Kobe might be the best pure basketball player of all-time but he lacks the total concentration on winning. Also, Kobe will need to learn to be a decent teammate at some point in his career.

ShoogarBear
01-23-2006, 04:35 PM
Here's a better question: how many rings would MJ have if he had a Shaq playing with him?

sa_butta
01-23-2006, 05:09 PM
I think MJ is better at making his supporting cast winners also. Kobe is just trying to carry everything on his back. MJ could make his teamates better. To answer the question though I dont think the Bulls would have won six with Kobe.

nkdlunch
01-23-2006, 05:16 PM
No fucking way. And basketball would be 1/2 as popular in the world today

David Bowie
01-23-2006, 06:47 PM
I doubt it. I'm not extremly savy in baskteball mechanics, but Jordan most definatly had more skill then Kobe doe. Also, Jordan commanded more respect from the refs and his own teamates then Kobe does. Jordan was a better leader then Kobe is.

JamStone
01-23-2006, 06:59 PM
Kobe would have had 8. He would not have retired to play baseball for a year and a half.

Brutalis
01-23-2006, 07:05 PM
LMAO no. OMG at this even being considered. Just wow.

Vashner
01-23-2006, 07:28 PM
Nope...

SilverPlayer
01-23-2006, 07:49 PM
When Kobe has won one on his own then, maybe then will this conversation even be possible, but there is no way in hell you would ever trade Jordan in the early 90s for an '06 kobe.

lilmads
01-23-2006, 08:05 PM
Nope.

Rick Von Braun
01-23-2006, 08:11 PM
When Kobe has won one on his own then, maybe then will this conversation even be possible, but there is no way in hell you would ever trade Jordan in the early 90s for an '06 kobe.The Bulls team of the 90s was a pretty good team without Jordan. They got to the playoffs without him. The current Lakers squad with no Kobe is one of the worst teams in the NBA. The comparison and/or expectations are not fair.

kobe_bryant
01-23-2006, 08:35 PM
why do you guys think shaq was the sole reason we won three rings? i dont see any rings with him and penny (btw i love u penny) nor has he won anything with that wade kid.

all coaches are afraid to put the ball in shaq's hand when the game is on the line, cause that fat guy can't make freethrows. Hack-A-Shaq started for a reason.

if i had pippen and the crew, i would have won quite a bit!

TDMVPDPOY
01-23-2006, 08:44 PM
the argument with kome is that he hasnt won a ring on his own same with snaq

drobs 71pt game > komes 81pts game

kome can put up all the numbers he wants cose his not sniffing the playoffs this season

TDMVPDPOY
01-24-2006, 01:25 AM
drob battles snaq for scorin title in final game, which game is better, u tell me.....kome is a one man team just like that KG in minni, you can post up all the stats u want

Trainwreck2100
01-24-2006, 02:12 AM
There's a reason Jordan never scored more than 69, he never had to. Unlike Kobe MJ made his team better, replace MJ w/ Kobe and Bulls win ZERO rings

TDMVPDPOY
01-24-2006, 02:21 AM
komes team was up 20pts in the last quarter wat was he doin playin scrub minutes?
wait he wanna be like all statpadders and statpadd

Pero
01-24-2006, 08:52 AM
I think, as others have said it, Jordan made his teamates better. However he also had a better team. If they switched places, the Bulls would still win a couple rings, but the Lakers would probably win every single season, as long as Shaq and Jordan played.

pache100
01-24-2006, 09:37 AM
Bulls dynasty...take out MJ insert Kobe...do the bulls win 6 championships?

No. Kobe would win a lot of individual awards and acclaim...but his team would not win a championship.

Here's a better question: how many rings would MJ have if he had a Shaq playing with him?

:tu

1Parker1
01-24-2006, 10:24 AM
No.

JamStone
01-24-2006, 10:50 AM
Did you people watch Michael Jordan play??? Why do I keep reading that Michael Jordan made his teammates better??? He didn't. He was considered just as much a ballhog and selfish basketball player as Kobe is now. He didn't make Pippen better. Pippen got better DESPITE Michael Jordan. Jordan never allowed Pippen to grow to his full potential. And, what about Stacey King? Never made him better. What other players did MJ make better? None. MJ started to share the ball more in his championship years. But, before he started winning championships, he was a self-centered, egotistical, stat-stuffing player, perhaps even worse than what Kobe is described now. Do people just refuse to remember how Michael Jordan really was?

By the way, even if you really want to believe Jordan made his teammates better, you can at least realize that it didn't start happening until his championship years. Michael Jordan won his first NBA title when he was 28 years old. By, the way, Kobe Bryant is currently 27 years old.

leemajors
01-24-2006, 11:01 AM
Did you people watch Michael Jordan play??? Why do I keep reading that Michael Jordan made his teammates better??? He didn't. He was considered just as much a ballhog and selfish basketball player as Kobe is now. He didn't make Pippen better. Pippen got better DESPITE Michael Jordan. Jordan never allowed Pippen to grow to his full potential. And, what about Stacey King? Never made him better. What other players did MJ make better? None. MJ started to share the ball more in his championship years. But, before he started winning championships, he was a self-centered, egotistical, stat-stuffing player, perhaps even worse than what Kobe is described now. Do people just refuse to remember how Michael Jordan really was?

By the way, even if you really want to believe Jordan made his teammates better, you can at least realize that it didn't start happening until his championship years. Michael Jordan won his first NBA title when he was 28 years old. By, the way, Kobe Bryant is currently 27 years old.

the argument is that those rings didn't have the same effect on kobe as they did on jordan. jordan realized he had to trust his teammates to win all those rings, kobe already got his and is now playing for himself it would seem. i dont know if anyone could have made stacey king that much better, but jordan did win rings with perdue, wennington, cartwright, and luc longley. their career paths (mj and kobe) appear to be inverted at this point. whether he made his teammates better by dragging and beating them into what he needed is another argument. what kobe will be like later in his career remains to be seen.

Obstructed_View
01-24-2006, 11:20 AM

I watched Michael Jordan play, and I can say with confidence that I think you are completely wrong. Jordan was never considered a stat-padder, although the same questions were asked of him that are currently being asked of LBJ. Jordan tried to win games on his own because he didn't have any confidence in his teammates, and as he developed, Jordan absolutely made his teammates better, mainly by demanding it from them on the practice court. The Pistons and Sixers from that period were very good teams and it took a few extra years for Jordan to get past them.

What players did MJ make better? Hmmm..let's see here. This list is off the top of my head. He either made these guys tow the line, taught them how to be champions, opened up shot opportunities for them because of his post game and his penetration, or the guys never were worth a shit with any other team.

Scottie Pippen
Dennis Rodman
Bill Cartwright
Horace Grant
Ron Harper
Scott Williams
John Paxson
Will Perdue
Bill Wennington
BJ Armstrong
Craig Hodges
Luc Longley
Steve Kerr

Scottie Pippen had a great year after Jordan left, but he and a couple of other guys made the all-star team that year. They won fifty games, and oh by the way didn't make it to the conference finals. Pippen also refused to go into a game and fought with teammates without Jordan there to keep him in line. Pip did the same thing later in Houston.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
01-24-2006, 12:12 PM
I watched Michael Jordan play, and I can say with confidence that I think you are completely wrong. Jordan was never considered a stat-padder, although the same questions were asked of him that are currently being asked of LBJ. Jordan tried to win games on his own because he didn't have any confidence in his teammates, and as he developed, Jordan absolutely made his teammates better, mainly by demanding it from them on the practice court. The Pistons and Sixers from that period were very good teams and it took a few extra years for Jordan to get past them.

What players did MJ make better? Hmmm..let's see here. This list is off the top of my head. He either made these guys tow the line, taught them how to be champions, opened up shot opportunities for them because of his post game and his penetration, or the guys never were worth a shit with any other team.

Scottie Pippen
Dennis Rodman
Bill Cartwright
Horace Grant
Ron Harper
Scott Williams
John Paxson
Will Perdue
Bill Wennington
BJ Armstrong
Craig Hodges
Luc Longley
Steve Kerr

Scottie Pippen had a great year after Jordan left, but he and a couple of other guys made the all-star team that year. They won fifty games, and oh by the way didn't make it to the conference finals. Pippen also refused to go into a game and fought with teammates without Jordan there to keep him in line. Pip did the same thing later in Houston.

I don't agree with that list at all. Half of those guys were legitimate NBA players in their own right. It doesn't matter though because they were all role players except Pip.

Do you honestly think the Bulls would have won 3 straight after MJ came back if Pip hadn't been there? I don't...

BTW, I remember the Pip migraine game happening against the Pistons when MJ was there, am I wrong? 1990?

JamStone
01-24-2006, 03:42 PM
tried to win games on his own because he didn't have any confidence in his teammates, and as he developed, Jordan absolutely made his teammates better, mainly by demanding it from them on the practice court.

So, how does that differ from what Kobe is doing now?

Michael Jordan did not make Dennis Rodman better. When Rodman got to the Bulls, he had already won multiple rebounding awards, a DPOY, and multiple championships. It's ludicrous to think Jordan made Rodman better.

Phil Jackson made Ron Harper better, believe that.

How did Michael Jordan make Bill Cartright, Luc Longley, Bill Wennington, and Will Perdue better? How? They all sucked before Jordan. They all sucked after Jordan. They were adequate with Jordan because of double-teams. That doesn't make them better players.

Scott Williams??? Seriously?

BJ Armstrong??? Seriously?

Craig Hodges, John Paxson, and Steve Kerr were all great shooters before Jordan. The thing that Jordan did for them was get them wide open looks by the double teams. That doesn't make them better players. That doesn't even make them better shooters. It just gave them open looks. How did that help them with ball-handling or defensive positioning, or any mental aspects of the game.

If anything, Michael Jordan made players regress, because he never gave them opportunities to reach their full potential because the basketball was in his hands at all crucial moments in games. He never trusted teammates to make decisions EXCEPT for shooting wide open jumpers. That in itself does not make a player better. Look at the season after he first retired. Scottie Pippen had a career year, and even won the MVP of the all star game. Jordan had been suppressing Pippen's talents. When Jordan came back, again Pippen had to live in his shadow. That didn't make him better as a player.

Jordan was a winner. He quite possibly be the best basketball player ever to play the game. But, I laugh at the notion that he made his teammates better. He crushed his teammates mentally. Stacy King and Kwame Brown can attest to that. He didn't make players better. Players were scared into following Jordan. Jordan won despite not making his teammates better. And, maybe that is more impressive than anything.

abelle23
01-24-2006, 04:53 PM
6 rings no..i think kobe would have dismantled the team just like what he did to lakers...hes no team player....

ShoogarBear
01-24-2006, 05:42 PM
Jordan was a winner. He quite possibly be the best basketball player ever to play the game. But, I laugh at the notion that he made his teammates better. He crushed his teammates mentally. Stacy King and Kwame Brown can attest to that. He didn't make players better. Players were scared into following Jordan. Jordan won despite not making his teammates better. And, maybe that is more impressive than anything.

I disagree that Jordan didn't make players better, but what you're saying has the gist of my one long-standing criticism of MJ. Jordan made players better BUT they had to be the kind of players who could play with him.

Anybody could play with Magic, Bird, Isiah, JKidd, and TD: they believe in lots of ball movement and if you got open they would get you the ball. In fact, those guys would/will sometimes accomodate THEIR games to get you good looks.

With Jordan it was the reverse. You had to be the kind of player who could go long stretches without the ball but still keep your head in the game and step up when necessary.
Still, and this is where you're wrong:

How did Michael Jordan make Bill Cartright, Luc Longley, Bill Wennington, and Will Perdue better? How? They all sucked before Jordan. They all sucked after Jordan. They were adequate with Jordan because of double-teams. That doesn't make them better players.
That's EXACTLY what making players better is.

That doesn't even make them better shooters. It just gave them open looks. How did that help them with ball-handling or defensive positioning, or any mental aspects of the game.
Again, I disagree. If your definition of making players better is "ball handling or defensive positioning or any mental aspect of the game", then Larry Bird and Steve Nash didn't make anyone better either.

That being said, I say the big difference between Jordan and Kobe is that if Jordan had a Shaq with him, he'd be smart enough to know that they had an unbeatable combination going.

Obstructed_View
01-25-2006, 09:48 AM
Michael Jordan did not make Dennis Rodman better. When Rodman got to the Bulls, he had already won multiple rebounding awards, a DPOY, and multiple championships. It's ludicrous to think Jordan made Rodman better.
Any Spurs fan who watched Rodman leave his man to shoot open three pointers in the WCF might take issue with that. Keeping Rodman's dumb ass in line is a feat nobody else was EVER able to do.

Actually, it does, and for exactly the reason you mentioned. If they are adequate with him and suck without him then...

Craig Hodges, John Paxson, and Steve Kerr were all great shooters before Jordan. The thing that Jordan did for them was get them wide open looks by the double teams. That doesn't make them better players. That doesn't even make them better shooters. It just gave them open looks. How did that help them with ball-handling or defensive positioning, or any mental aspects of the game.
Getting a teammate a wide open look makes him better, but there's more to it than that. Steve Kerr has credited Jordan with making him a better player and a tougher competitor. Again, Spurs fans have to agree that Kerr was a tough SOB.

If anything, Michael Jordan made players regress, because he never gave them opportunities to reach their full potential because the basketball was in his hands at all crucial moments in games. He never trusted teammates to make decisions EXCEPT for shooting wide open jumpers. That in itself does not make a player better. Look at the season after he first retired. Scottie Pippen had a career year, and even won the MVP of the all star game. Jordan had been suppressing Pippen's talents. When Jordan came back, again Pippen had to live in his shadow. That didn't make him better as a player.
3 Bulls made the all-star team the year Jordan left. Pippen had a career year, the Bulls won 55 games, and didn't make the conference finals. He also refused to enter a close game at the end because he felt disrespected, which is textbook regression. Without Jordan, the Bulls turned into the Mavericks. Without Jordan, Pippen was a me-first loser with really great stats.

I can't speak to Stacy King but Kwame Brown has been mentally crushed since he's been in the league, and nobody has been able to do anything with him since Jordan left. Jordan didn't make everybody better, just the guys who were able to play with him.

adidas11
01-25-2006, 12:57 PM
Quote: "With Jordan it was the reverse. You had to be the kind of player who could go long stretches without the ball but still keep your head in the game and step up when necessary."

Agreed. This is similar to Allen Iverson and the current friction/trouble with the Sixers. You have to have certain types of players around Iverson to be successful. Like back in the 2000/2001 season, they surrounded Iverson with defensive players and spot up shooters. Any kind of player who needs the ball in the post or needs to handle the ball (Webber) will not thrive with Iverson, because he handles the ball so much.

In the case of Jordan, you can't have a point guard in the backcourt with him who is a primary ball handler and penetrator. He has to be a spot up shooter (John Paxon), or else it won't work. A point guard like Tony Parker would have an awful time playing with someone like Jordan in his prime.

Now with Jordan, I fully believe that a lot of the maturation of certain players on that team happened in SPITE of Jordan. Make no mistake about it, Jordan could be a selfish player, who wanted to win championships while also getting personal accolades at the same time. Winning the scoring titles was VERY important to him, and they were able to succeed MAINLY because of the system that Phil Jackson implemented (triangle).

I agree with TimVP's assessment that Kobe might be a more talented scorer than Jordan, he has more moves, and he is slightly taller and has more arm length. And with Jordan, he is far quicker (his footspeed was unreal, and he had flashing point guard quickness),

and in my opinion, the biggest thing that seperates Jordan from Kobe is that Jordan is bar far the most fundamentally sound basketball player that I have ever seen.

Obstructed_View
01-25-2006, 01:24 PM
Kobe is an incredible scorer. He's incredibly clutch. He hasn't proven he can hold Jordan's jock yet. He has plenty of time to do so.