PDA

View Full Version : Marion says he'll be part of U.S. team

Horry For 3!
01-23-2006, 09:04 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-suns-marion-olympics&prov=ap&type=lgns

PHOENIX (AP) -- Phoenix Suns All-Star Shawn Marion says he will be part of the U.S. team being put together for this year's world championships and the 2008 Olympics.

Marion said Monday that he has been told by the head of USA Basketball, Jerry Colangelo, that he will be among those selected to the team.

"It's challenging, man, it's an honor and a privilege, always," the forward told KTVK-TV in Phoenix before the team left for Orlando, "given the opportunity to go out and represent the country again, which I love doing."

Colangelo, contacted Monday night, stopped just short of confirming Marion's selection.

"I've spoken with Shawn some time ago and he certainly indicated he wanted to be a part of this thing," Colangelo said. "He's the kind of individual and player who personifies what you want to represent you."

Kobe Bryant and LeBron James are the only players publicly named to the team. Colangelo said he plans to announce the rest of the squad's makeup shortly after the All-Star break in mid-February.

Marion was part of the U.S. team that won the bronze medal at the 2004 Olympics in Athens. That disappointing finish led USA basketball to turn the team selection over to Colangelo, the Suns' longtime owner who sold the franchise last year.

Colangelo is requiring a three-year commitment from the 20 or so players who will be named to the squad.

They will attend a training camp in Las Vegas this summer, then travel to China and South Korea for exhibition games before participating in the world championships in Japan.

Next year there will be another training camp, followed by a camp and more exhibition games in 2008 leading up to the Beijing Olympics.

ducks
01-23-2006, 09:58 PM
I was just about too post this

Horry For 3!
01-23-2006, 10:33 PM
I was just about too post this
:tu

We might have a decent USA team.

ducks
01-24-2006, 08:51 AM
marion is a cool guy
he also is a pretty good rebounder

Pero
01-24-2006, 09:18 AM
We might have a decent USA team.

"Team" is the key word.

DarkReign
01-24-2006, 12:34 PM
If/When I see Mr. Marion at the Palace, he will get a raucous ovation from me.

Here in Detroit, most like hockey. Hockey players lose sleep at night just HOPING to be selected to represent their country. NBA players couldnt care less, just ask any Piston ( :cry).

TD is awesome. But his commitment to International Basketball has always been his selling point, for me. He is committed to the US team whenever they call (unless injured, which I can NOT fault him for).

Good on Marion. Lets hope more represent.

Mixability
01-24-2006, 02:30 PM
he's lucky Bowen isnt foreign born.

lilmads
01-24-2006, 03:05 PM
he's lucky Bowen isnt foreign born.

So true :lol

JMarkJohns
01-25-2006, 01:48 AM
Solid pick up. Whenever he's played big minutes, USA has always done very well. It's when he's sat or been injured when they've lost alot of games.

Always brings energy and is willing to guard three positions on defense and hit the boards as well as anybody. He's really worked on his shot this year. It's still the ugliest thing I've ever seen, but off the dribble, it goes in at about 50% a clip. From range he still struggles, but if the right players (namely Allen, Bibby, Redd, Arenas) are added, then that shouldn't matter.

Overall he needs to be in the 8-man main rotation. With the right team around him, he'll be the perfect complementary player that USA needs. To bad Nash doesn't pull a Hakeem, declare US citizenship and don the red, white and blue.