PDA

View Full Version : Ludden : Spurs 'weather storm,' have room to improve

Bruno
01-24-2006, 08:30 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA012406.1D.spurs.d4d2d69.html

Web Posted: 01/24/2006 12:00 AM CST
Johnny Ludden
San Antonio Express-News

The Spurs have arrived at the midpoint of their schedule with 31 victories, 10 losses, two ailing right feet and a 23-year-old point guard who looks capable of bunny-hopping his way to Houston for next month's All-Star game.

They have absorbed two beatings from Detroit, their opponent in last season's NBA Finals. Winning on consecutive nights has proven near impossible, and their home-court edge, which used to send shivers through the league, has melted in recent weeks.

As for the 70-victory chatter they heard (and dismissed) in October? It now fills airtime in the Motor City.

And yet as the Spurs begin the season's second half tonight against Charlotte, they share the top rung of the Western Conference with Dallas. They also believe they can get better.

"I think," coach Gregg Popovich said, "we've weathered the first half of the storm pretty well."

The Spurs, who stood at 32-9 after 41 games last season, traditionally have saved their best for last. They again hope to use their annual rodeo trip, which begins next week, to sharpen their focus.

Their first goal, however, may also be their most important: Get healthy.

Although Robert Horry likely will miss his fourth game with a lower abdominal strain tonight, officials are optimistic he'll be back by the end of the week. Manu Ginobili's sprained right ankle isn't believed to be as serious as initially feared, but he's expected to be out up to two weeks, slowing the progress he had made since returning from two other injuries to the same foot.

"He was starting to roll and take a lot of pressure off me and Timmy (Duncan)," Tony Parker said. "It was hard to see him go down because now it's going to take another two, three weeks to get him back at his best level."

Duncan, like Parker, has yet to miss a game. But he also hasn't been in top health, playing on a sore right foot since training camp.

The plantar fasciitis — inflammation of the fibrous tissue that stretches along the bottom of the foot from the heel bone — particularly has bothered Duncan when the Spurs play on back-to-back nights and he doesn't have time to recover. But he also has been less dominant overall, failing, at times, to protect the rim and stop opposing rebounders. Even his bank shot, usually his most consistent weapon, has looked shaky.

In 10 games this month, Duncan is averaging 18.0 points while shooting 43.8 percent.

The Spurs have two five-day breaks next month, which should afford Duncan some rest. The medical staff also is trying a variety of therapies — orthotics, long- and shortwave treatment and anti-inflammatory medication among them — to help reduce his pain.

"At least it's not getting worse," Popovich said, "and we still have hope it will get better."

In the meantime, the Spurs increasingly have leaned on Parker, who is enjoying the best season of his five-year career. He is averaging a career-high 19.6 points while shooting 54.6percent, second-best in the league.

"I still think the key to their team, no matter what, is Parker," Pistons coach Flip Saunders said. "Not to take anything away from Timmy. He's the MVP of our league. But ... the barometer, though, is Parker, and he's playing great right now."

Though Parker repeatedly has carved up opposing defenses by using his quickness — he's scored a league-high 514 points in the lane — teams increasingly have begun to force him to use his mid-range shot.

"That's fine with me," said Parker, who hopes his work with the team's new shooting coach, Chip Engelland, pays off in the second half. "And if they're going to put their whole defense to stop me, I'm going to have to find my teammates a little more."

Parker's faith went unrewarded Sunday when the Spurs made 4 of 23 3-pointers in their loss to Denver. The Spurs are shooting 47.4 percent for the season, second-best in the league, though Popovich thinks that number is inflated by Parker's season-long layup drill.

Of more concern: They rank 21st in scoring with 94.8 points per game, partially the result of poor free-throw shooting.

Popovich has been pleased with the gradual defensive improvement. The Spurs lead the league in field-goal percentage defense (.428) and are second in scoring defense (88.9 points per game).

Newcomers Michael Finley and Nick Van Exel have looked their age at times, but Popovich doesn't fault their effort.

"Our defense is really what sustains us on nights when offense doesn't work out," Popovich said. "Every team has that problem, but the good teams play defense such that they still have an opportunity to win games.

"I think we know that, understand it and accept it."

As well as the Spurs have guarded, they occasionally have struggled to finish their defense with a rebound. Teams with athletic, physical big men — such as the Pistons — have given them matchup problems.

While Spurs officials continue to assess their trade options — Nazr Mohammed's size and contract make him attractive to some suitors — the team's biggest improvement likely will have to come internally, most notably with Duncan.
"As we approach the All-Star break, we want to become a little more consistent with our physical nature," Popovich said. "The edgy part of the game."

From night to night, the Spurs repeatedly have faced the top-level effort of their opponents — a common challenge for defending champions. Some nights, they have handled it well. On others, like Sunday, they haven't.

Of the team's 10 losses, four have come against Washington, Chicago, Atlanta and New Orleans — none of which has a winning record.

"Those," Bruce Bowen said, "are the ones that keep coaches up late at night."

spursupporter
01-24-2006, 08:35 AM
To this situation, i just hope the spurs can hold off Mavs and lead the Western conference.....

Bruno
01-24-2006, 08:38 AM
To this situation, i just hope the spurs can hold off Mavs and lead the Western conference.....

I just hope they can win 16 games in postseason : nothing more, nothing less

austinfan
01-24-2006, 10:51 AM
While Spurs officials continue to assess their trade options — Nazr Mohammed's size and contract make him attractive to some suitors — the team's biggest improvement likely will have to come internally, most notably with Duncan.

Bingo. This article is a balanced, clear-eyed assessment of where we are right now. Does anyone know if Duncan reads the San Antonio paper regularly? I wonder what his thoughts are about his play right now, and how much Pop and he talk about it?

I disagree with Flip Saunders earlier in the article when he said that Parker is the player to watch out for. Tim Duncan is the engine of this team, and Manu is the spark. I don't mean to devalue Tony by saying that, because he's had an incredible season so far, and I love the fact that he's only 23 and that we'll get to see him grow even more over the next several years, but if things aren't clicking with Duncan, life is going to be hard for the Spurs. And imo Manu has become the leader (or at least co-leader) of the team in many ways--you can see how the rest of them raise their energy level when he's on the court, and how there's a certain flatness when he's out.

It's just too bad that he and Timmy are both playing with subpar bodies right now, because their chemistry together is so good. I miss that. :( Hopefully they'll both be back in good shape before the playoffs arrive.

thekingrobert
01-24-2006, 10:59 AM
Barry needs to continue starting and Finley off the bench

mathbzh
01-24-2006, 11:07 AM
Tim Duncan is the engine of this team, and Manu is the spark.

That is correct... usualy. But Tim is not 100% and Manu missed a lot of games. Parker has deal with this situation and step up to another level. In my opinion he is still not a legitimate all-star but Tony improvment is the reason why we have "only" lost 10 games.

FromWayDowntown
01-24-2006, 11:47 AM
I disagree with Flip Saunders earlier in the article when he said that Parker is the player to watch out for. Tim Duncan is the engine of this team, and Manu is the spark. I don't mean to devalue Tony by saying that, because he's had an incredible season so far, and I love the fact that he's only 23 and that we'll get to see him grow even more over the next several years, but if things aren't clicking with Duncan, life is going to be hard for the Spurs. And imo Manu has become the leader (or at least co-leader) of the team in many ways--you can see how the rest of them raise their energy level when he's on the court, and how there's a certain flatness when he's out.

I think you missed Flip's point. I think that Flip is saying that you can tell a lot about how the Spurs are doing on a particular night by looking to see what Tony is up to. Tim is seen as a constant -- he's going to be productive and at least somewhat dominant defensively on most nights. But when Tony has it going, the Spurs are the team that everyone thought they would be. If Tony is getting off, the Spurs win; if Tony is being stifled, the Spurs struggle. That, I think, is what Flip was talking about, and I think he's right about that.

He's not saying that Tony's the most important Spur. He's saying that Tony's success (or lack thereof) is the difference between good and dominant.

You're right in saying that if Tim doesn't have it, the Spurs don't have it. But I think Flip is saying Tim's going to have it most nights. When Tim has it and Tony has it, the Spurs win. When Tim has it and Tony doesn't, the Spurs often struggle.

Rescueone
01-24-2006, 04:29 PM
One are that needs major improvement is FREE THROW SHOOTING!!!!! Let's begin there. Improve free throw shooting and 7 or 8 of the loses would have been wins.

Manu4Three
01-24-2006, 04:45 PM
Hi all, my first message.
I think Flip's missing something, if he thinks Tony is
the guy to go; or didn't he watch the last playoff series?

Forget Manu Flip, that's good for us.

Bruno
01-24-2006, 04:48 PM
I don't know to think about the fact that for the second time in few days ludden speaks about a Nazr trade. Is it a though, a wish or has he some piece of information ?

Tek_XX
01-24-2006, 05:24 PM
I think the spurs need to do some kind of trade.

Peter
01-24-2006, 07:25 PM
This team is going to improve internally if Pop will stop dicking Mohammed around and deport Nesterovic back to the -ia he came from.

Peter
01-24-2006, 07:27 PM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA012406.1D.spurs.d4d2d69.html

Web Posted: 01/24/2006 12:00 AM CST
Johnny Ludden
San Antonio Express-News

The Spurs have arrived at the midpoint of their schedule with 31 victories, 10 losses, two ailing right feet and a 23-year-old point guard who looks capable of bunny-hopping his way to Houston for next month's All-Star game.

They have absorbed two beatings from Detroit, their opponent in last season's NBA Finals. Winning on consecutive nights has proven near impossible, and their home-court edge, which used to send shivers through the league, has melted in recent weeks.

As for the 70-victory chatter they heard (and dismissed) in October? It now fills airtime in the Motor City.

JLud reads this forum too. Cool.