View Full Version : Artest-for-peja Gettin' Close

sa_butta
01-24-2006, 10:37 AM
http://www.nypost.com/sports/59477.htm

January 24, 2006 -- I have it on excellent authority the Pacers and Kings are exceedingly close to swapping Ron Artest (three more years after this on his contract with a right to opt out after two) for Peja Stojakovic, who has the freedom to opt out after this season or play out the next.

Then again, let me put it another way: The two teams are as close as my Paper Clips were to acquiring Artest for Corey Maggette before an Indiana doctor decided the swingman's left ankle was too great a risk.

According to three sources, it's strictly Sacramento's call; the Pacers are agreeable and ready to deal, and are waiting for the Kings to make up their mind. *

davi78239
01-24-2006, 10:49 AM
Yup, I posted this in the other forum. We'll see what happens.

sa_butta
01-24-2006, 10:56 AM
My bad I didnt see it in the NBA forum so I posted it. I didnt really think it was Spurs related.

Wallace ²
01-24-2006, 10:58 AM
Thats good news for the eastern conf. Artest is a much better player than Peja is.

davi78239
01-24-2006, 11:19 AM
And bad news for the West I guess, even though Sac is kinda at the bottom.

DarkReign
01-24-2006, 12:41 PM
I hate the headcase, but he is one helluva player.

Too bad he wont be in the league for much longer at his rate. He has single-handedly ruined Indiana's chances at a Title 2 years in a row.

Goodbye, Ronnie! Have fun in Sunny CA.

baseline bum
01-24-2006, 03:12 PM
Now Indiana will be that much more dominant against the likes of Atlanta, Toronto, Houston, New York, Portland, and so on! Peja's a first-ballot hall-of-fame player against the bottom third of the league.

Brutalis
01-24-2006, 03:16 PM
Sacramento will be so ez once they do this deal.

Brutalis
01-24-2006, 03:17 PM
Peja is expiring after this year, too.

Marklar MM
01-24-2006, 03:43 PM
Peja for Artest deal is done and pending league approval

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2304512

INDIANAPOLIS -- The Indiana Pacers have agreed to trade Ron Artest to the Sacramento Kings in exchange for Peja Stojakovic pending league approval, ESPN's Jim Gray has confirmed Tuesday.

The deal closes a chapter in the Pacers' latest drama involving the volatile star forward.

Ron Artest
Small Forward
Indiana Pacers

2006 SEASON STATISTICS
GM PPG RPG APG FG% FT%
16 19.4 4.9 2.2 45.992 61.157

Kings owners Gavin and Joe Maloof on ESPNEWS would not comment directly on ESPN's report that the Kings pending league approval will trade Peja Stojakovic to the Pacers for Ron Artest.

Artest was a key component to a team that was expected to challenge for the Eastern Conference crown. He led the league in steals and was the Pacers' second-leading scorer at 19.4 points a game before being deactivated after publicly requesting a trade in early December.

In five years with the Pacers, Artest was an All-Star once and was the NBA's defensive player of the year in 2003-04.

Pacers GM Larry Bird said the Pacers had been interested in Corey Maggette of the Los Angeles Clippers, but there was "no question" that Maggette's sprained left foot affected the process. Maggette averaged 21.7 points in 13 games before getting injured in early December.

The Pacers have lost four of their last five games, including Monday to the Atlanta Hawks, who have the NBA's worst record.

sa_butta
01-24-2006, 03:49 PM
Finally, This should benefit the Pacers very well.

Brutalis
01-24-2006, 04:33 PM
I fucking hate this shit sometimes cause 50 fucking people AIM me like OMG DID YOU HEAR ABOUT ARTEST, making me have to sign off.

GOOD FOR THEM!

Horry For 3!
01-24-2006, 06:13 PM
No Deal. Ron Artest said he would never play for the Kings so if the Kings would have accepted it, they would have to find someone to trade Artest to. So therefore the Kings said FUCK YOU ARTEST YOU PIECE OF SHIT and rejected it :lol

Brutalis
01-24-2006, 07:53 PM
Wtf really?

Brutalis
01-24-2006, 07:56 PM
:lmao :lmao :lmao

Indiana needs to waive this fucking idiot. This dude is a joke.

cecil collins
01-25-2006, 01:56 AM
He's just a dumb guy, doesn't think things through. He wants to play for the Knicks, so he won't play for anyone else. Maybe he's just having too much fun being suspended from the team with pay. Not bad, if you have to make a living.

Horry For 3!
01-25-2006, 02:27 AM
He's just a dumb guy, doesn't think things through. He wants to play for the Knicks, so he won't play for anyone else. Maybe he's just having too much fun being suspended from the team with pay. Not bad, if you have to make a living.
Actually he wants to play for Golden State, that is what ESPN said earlier.

cecil collins
01-25-2006, 01:25 PM
Okay, I didn't hear that, but I know when he first asked to be traded, he wanted to go to New York, as that is where he's from.

Despot
01-25-2006, 01:27 PM
I believe that he also stated that when his contract was up, he would jump ship for New York, for whatever that info's worth.

sa_butta
01-25-2006, 01:35 PM
I believe that he also stated that when his contract was up, he would jump ship for New York, for whatever that info's worth.Great he would fit right in with the Isiah drama over there.

Horry For 3!
01-25-2006, 03:32 PM
Ron Artest now says he will play for the Kings and the trade is pending approval.

mavsfan1000
01-25-2006, 04:14 PM
Ron Artest now says he will play for the Kings and the trade is pending approval.
Arrest is an idiot. The guy needs to just say I need help. I am very disturbed and start with the pills. :lol

Horry For 3!
01-25-2006, 07:04 PM
Deal is done, the NBA approved it.

Artest is now with the Kings and Peja is now with the Pacers.

Horry For 3!
01-25-2006, 07:06 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Akb5zllMNRf1s3MRpFYhzWe8vLYF?slug=ap-pacers-artest&prov=ap&type=lgns

Pacers send Artest to Kings in exchange for Stojakovic

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) -- The Indiana Pacers traded volatile forward Ron Artest to the Sacramento Kings for Peja Stojakovic on Wednesday, a day after a deal between the teams all but fell apart.

Artest reportedly balked at being dealt to the Kings, but met with Pacers CEO Donnie Walsh on Wednesday at Conseco Fieldhouse and apparently agreed to go to Sacramento.

The trade ends a lengthy standoff between the Pacers and Artest, who was deactivated in December after requesting a trade and was suspended most of last season for his role in one of the worst brawls in U.S. sports history.

"Obviously, we're very happy about getting a player of (Stojakovic's) caliber," Pacers president Larry Bird said in a statement. "He's one of the best shooters in the league and we definitely feel he can help us right away."

Indiana spent several weeks searching for the right deal, nearly sending Artest to the Los Angeles Clippers for Corey Maggette before reviving talks with the Kings in recent days.

This trade has been rumored for three years, with the Kings thought to need Artest's defense just as much as the Pacers need Stojakovic's offense.

Artest is due to make $7.15 million next season and $7.8 million in 2007-08, with an $8.45 million player option for 2008-09. His defensive presence and infamous instability should be an intriguing fit with the Kings, whose franchise makeover now has a more defensive look.

Artest spent parts of six seasons with the Pacers, earning an All-Star berth and recognition as the NBA's defensive player of the year in 2003-04. He led the league in steals and averaged 19.4 points per game this season before his trade request and subsequent deactivation.

He was suspended for last season's final 73 games and the playoffs after he charged into the stands during a game at Detroit, precipitating one of the nastiest brawls in league history. The incident was the crowning touch on one of the NBA's most controversial reputations, and the Pacers finally gave up on their extensive efforts to support him after his trade request.

Stojakovic is the Kings' longest-tenured player, joining the club as an unheralded 21-year-old rookie in 1998 and becoming a three-time All-Star. But he is expected to void the final season of his contract to become a free agent this summer, and Kings president of basketball operations Geoff Petrie decided to get something in return for his most successful draft pick.

Sacramento made its fourth major trade in 13 months, following deals involving Chris Webber, Bobby Jackson and Doug Christie.

Stojakovic seemed likely to earn a hefty contract when he became a free agent after declining his $8.2 million option for next season, perhaps getting the maximum deal. Instead, this season has been dismal for the Serbian star.

He is averaging just 16.5 points per game, his lowest total since his second NBA season, while making just 40.3 percent of his shots -- lowest since his rookie year -- along with 5.3 rebounds and 2.2 assists.

He has been bothered by a sprained finger, a strained groin muscle and a protruding disc in his lower back which hinders his running, jumping and shooting. He has missed eight games because of the injuries, including three straight earlier this month before receiving a cortisone shot.

The Pacers have struggled without Artest. They were 10-6 in games he played and are 11-14 without him, losing five of their last six -- including a 30-point loss to Cleveland on Tuesday night. Jermaine O'Neal has hinted that players might be concerned about possibly getting traded along with Artest, and it could be affecting their performance.