2Blonde
01-24-2006, 05:24 PM
?????

Marklar MM
01-24-2006, 05:26 PM
Unless it is in my favor, I say exempt.

Old School Chic
01-24-2006, 05:32 PM
I meant as to go for a non-exempt position or exempt.

I'm used to getting paid by the hour.

Old School Chic
01-24-2006, 05:38 PM
I don't think I'm making sense, so please forgive me.

Billy Cobham
01-24-2006, 05:39 PM
Exempt positions are usually higher paying.

ShoogarBear
01-24-2006, 05:51 PM
It depends. If it's work you don't particularly like, then I would say non-exempt because then you get things like overtime, etc.

If it's work you enjoy doing, exempt. As mentioned, exempt is higher paid (but you usually have higher responsibilities, thus usually end up working more hours than non-exempt) and you usually have more freedom with hours, etc. Also, in a lot of cases the benefits may be better.

SpursWoman
01-24-2006, 06:12 PM
Exempt ... especially if your place of employment is nit-picky like a mofo, and whether or not you actually have to swipe a time card or fill out your own.

:nerd :angel :lol

SequSpur
01-24-2006, 07:34 PM
Exempt is for people who are getting owned, like called while on vacation.

Nonexempt is for people that want to leave at the end of the day with their middle finger up in the air.

Buddy Holly
01-24-2006, 07:38 PM
This may have been asked before, but is this Old Skool Chic??

http://www.slashkillyourself.net/images2/darka.gif

SpursWoman
01-24-2006, 08:21 PM
Exempt is for people who are getting owned, like called while on vacation.

Exempt is for people who seem like they always have to leave work early to pick up a kid with fever, dentist appointments, doctor appointments, parent/teacher conferences.....baseball/soccer/softball practice & games...

Or those who sometimes lose track of time on their lunch *hour*. :nerd

Shelly
01-24-2006, 09:27 PM
Exempt meaning you are salary and not paid hourly?

ShoogarBear
01-24-2006, 10:31 PM
Exempt meaning you are salary and not paid hourly?That's basically it.

I think there's more to it, though.

For contractors working for the Federal Govt., exempt vs. non-exempt also relates to how much supervision you need to perform your job.

midgetonadonkey
01-25-2006, 01:22 AM
I am an exempt state employee and I still walk out at the end of the day with my middle finger in the air. I am salary and barely work 40 hours a week. If they call me to come in on a day off, fuck them. I don't answer.

slayermin
01-25-2006, 01:51 AM
Well, if your exempt, you get paid the same if you work 60 hours or 25 hours.

It depends on leverage. How difficult would it be to replace you? If you can be easily replaced, you will be busting your hump. If you are not easily replaced, you have leverage. You can negotiate the amount of hours you work and what you are willing to do.

Also, depending on how talented you are, you could ask for a signing bonus.

Some places offer sabbatical time off which means you get a bonus for taking a vacation.

midgetonadonkey
01-25-2006, 01:57 AM
I am easily replaceable. A fucking crackhead can do my job. Do I work extra hard? Fuck no. Do I give a shit if they fire me? Fuck no.

slayermin
01-25-2006, 02:02 AM
I am easily replaceable. A fucking crackhead can do my job. Do I work extra hard? Fuck no. Do I give a shit if they fire me? Fuck no.

Either they are lazy or they don't care either. I was just trying to give Old School Chic something to think about.

travis2
01-25-2006, 08:01 AM
Well, if your exempt, you get paid the same if you work 60 hours or 25 hours.

It depends on leverage. How difficult would it be to replace you? If you can be easily replaced, you will be busting your hump. If you are not easily replaced, you have leverage. You can negotiate the amount of hours you work and what you are willing to do.

Also, depending on how talented you are, you could ask for a signing bonus.

Some places offer sabbatical time off which means you get a bonus for taking a vacation.

Ummmmm...partially true. Exempt employees do get paid overtime...if it was pre-approved. You can't not be compensated for directed overtime without your consent...but what you do on your own is not the company's responsibility.

Example...I am a gov't contractor. If there's a task that needs to be done right now and requires overtime to do it by the deadline...I can be paid overtime (my employer is ordering me to go overtime...and yes, I've been paid overtime before). However...if I just want to get caught up on stuff and stay an extra couple of hours to do it...nope, no overtime.

easjer
01-25-2006, 10:37 AM
Totally depends.

Here, non-exempt levels are about the same as exempt levels (ie, NE62 makes about the same as E62), minus maybe $500 a year. Benefits are the same for all full time benefits eligible staff.

Given that, I'll take non-exempt. I get paid twice a week, I get overtime and comp time. I worked here three years before I ever took a vacation day because I always had so much comp time built up. Now, my official title is Admissions Assistant II instead of Admissions Counselor I, but since we made up our own title for the business cards, nobody but me and three other people know that (Student Services Manager sounds way better).

It totally depends on the environment. In some areas, there is a huge difference between them, just not here. I'm willing to eat $500 a year for difference made by overtime or comp time.

Old School Chic
01-25-2006, 02:00 PM
This may have been asked before, but is this Old Skool Chic??

http://www.slashkillyourself.net/images2/darka.gif

Maybe :angel

ShoogarBear
01-25-2006, 02:10 PM
Doesn't look very Old Skool to me . . .

Old School Chic
01-25-2006, 02:55 PM
Doesn't look very Old Skool to me . . .

:rolleyes @ Shooga the hater...