PDA

View Full Version : Heart Of A Soon-To-Be Champion: Pacers Beat Celtics 99-98.

Pooh
02-01-2004, 04:11 AM
By Johnnie Clay - Pacers Insider.
January 31, 2004 - 11:30 PM

The Indiana Pacers started off tonight's contest against the Boston Celtics like they were going to run them out of the building. Instead, it turned into a game of up and downs, but in the end, the Pacers proved why they are the best in the Eastern Conference and the odds on favorite to represent that conference in the NBA Finals this June.

With their leading scorer, Jermaine O'Neal on the bench for the second half with a strained neck, the Pacers fought off a furious rally by the Celtics to win 99-98 at Conseco Fieldhouse this evening.

"We’ve had a good year to this point but I don’t think we’ve had a better win than tonight." Pacers Coach Rick Carlisle said afterwards. "I just think it was a great win because tonight Boston was playing their game. They were hitting shots and playing at their tempo."

In the first half, both teams couldn't miss. The Celtics shot 60% while the Pacers topped that by shooting 73%, as both teams combined for 75 points at the end of the first quarter.

As the second quarter began, both teams cooled off. Both teams combined for just 37 points that quarter. The Pacers dropped to just 49% shooting while the Celtics stayed more to their 60% average in the first quarter, ending up at 54% at halfime, and still trailing the Pacers 59-53.

During that second quarter, Jermaine O'Neal suffered a neck strain. Ironically, he suffered it while blocking a shot, his 700th career one, putting him fourth on the Pacers' all-time list.

Coach Carlisle talked about losing his all-star. "He’s hurting, very stiff and listed day-to-day. He’s very sore and walking with a stiff neck. He took a pretty good shot."

Al Harrington quickly stepped in for the injured O'Neal and led the Pacers with 27 points, (10-27) and 7 rebounds.

“We didn’t know at halftime if he (O'Neal) was going to return so we had to go at it as though he wasn’t." Harrington said. "We knew we’d have to move the ball a lot more offensively and the bench would have to step up. I felt good from the beginning tonight. I made my first couple of shots and when you do that, your confidence just grows. Things recently have seemed to have fallen in place for me."

The third quarter began much like the second, with the Pacers struggling from the field while the Celtics slowly chopped away at the lead. The Pacers failed to score 20 points in both the second and third quarters. It appeared as if the Pacers would once again let another huge lead disappear to the Celtics.

But this isn't 2003, this is 2004.

The Pacers made two thrusts in the fourth quarter, with Austin Croshere hitting a pair of 3-pointers to finish an 11-0 run that gave them an 85-77 lead with 8:20 remaining.

But Paul Pierce, quiet due to foul trouble most of the game, gut untracked to score seven quick points as Boston closed to 91-89 with 3:04 remaining. Croshere hit another 3-pointer and Ron Artest stripped Ricky Davis and drove or a layup to put the home team ahead 96-89 with 2:28 left.

The Pacers' offense went flat though, as the Celtics scored six in a row in a little more than a minute, including a bucket from Mark Blount in the lane that cut it to 96-95 with 1:08 left. But Anthony Johnson then hit the biggest shot of the game, a 3-pointer to make it a four-point lead with 46.1 seconds left.

The Celtics got a lucky bounce as Walter McCarty's missed 3-pointer caromed long and into the waiting hands of Pierce, who hit the second-chance 3-pointer to make it a one-point game with 27 seconds left.

The Pacers failed to get a shot on their final possession, committing a 24-second violation, setting up the Celtics for a final shot. But McCarty's inbounds pass sailed over Pierce's outstretched hand and the Pacers escaped with a hard-fought victory.

Al Harrington talked about that last play.

"Obviously Walter (McCarty) made a miscue on his pass to Pierce but Ron was all over him and he didn’t know what hand to pass to. That’s where he made his mistake.”

Artest proved tonight why he should be on the All-Star team this year, scoring 23 points and 8 rebounds.

“This was a hard fought ball game and we knew it would be. Fred, Austin and Al all stepped up big. They had to because when you have someone like Jermaine go down, everybody’s got to pick it up. " Artest said afterwards.

Artest also discussed about guarding the always deadly Paul Pierce. "I just played regular defense and tried to stay with him wherever he went. It was maybe a little extra effort but not any more than I try to bring to the table every night.”

Coach Carlisle talked about his reserves and what a difference they made in tonight's victory.

"Austin Croshere, he should play more than he does, and if not for Al Harrington, he would. But he stays ready. He’s a pro’s pro. Without him, I don’t think we win tonight." Carlisle said. "His three three’s in the second half were monstrous. Al Harrington and Austin are two really terrific NBA players."

"We’re fortunate to have a guy like Al come off the bench because he makes the team better. Ron Artest, I thought, did a great job making Paul Pierce earn his shots. Anthony Johnson settled us down in the late third and early fourth quarter. He was solid defensively and the three he hit in the left corner was a great shot.”

For the night, the Pacers shot 49% (36-74) and a very un-Pacer like 68% (17-25) from the free-throw line. A majority of the free-throws were made by Harrington and Artest, who along with Anthony Johnson's 11 points, were the only Pacers in double-figures for the night.

The Pacers won their second in a row to improve to 35-13 overall, 19-5 at home, 2-1 against Boston.

A substantial conflict awaits the Pacers Monday night when the Los Angeles Lakers make their only visit to Conseco Fieldhouse. The Pacers have lost five in a row to the Lakers, including a 99-77 rout in Staples Center on Nov. 30.

The Lakers, who were at full strength in the previous meeting, will be without Kobe Bryant, who's on the injured list with a lacerated finger. Karl Malone also is on the injured list with a sprained right knee.

Game Time Monday is at 7pm (EST).

pacersrule03
02-01-2004, 01:42 PM
I was switching back between the IU game and the pacers, and all of a sudden JO wasn't in and never put back in. In the box score he only had 4 points, is the neck strain serious?

Pooh
02-02-2004, 01:53 AM
nothing major...a day-by-day thing, like artest's thumb.