PDA

View Full Version : Guess who's jealous of Kobe

lilmads
01-24-2006, 08:40 PM
Carter warns kids: Don't be like Kobe
http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/5275220

Who's thinking about the children?

Well, apparently Vince Carter.

In the aftermath of Kobe Bryant's 81-point explosion Sunday night, Carter told the Newark Star-Ledger that the second-highest scoring performance in NBA history might not set a good example for young players.

"The only bad thing about it is that younger kids, whose minds are easily warped, are going to think, 'Ohhh! I am going to go out there and do it instead of (honoring) the team concept first,'" the Nets' star told the newspaper. "That is what is missing in the game, guys understanding how to play as a team."

Carter went on to say, "I think it is great for (the NBA): They want scoring, they want ratings, and you are going to get that. You are definitely going to get them now with the amount of 50-point games, 60-plus games. I just hope that kids and young guys understand that (only) special guys can do that. Yeah, the (other Lakers) were trying to get Kobe the ball, they wanted to see a special night. But they all know their roles."

The criticism comes from an interesting source.

Last season, Carter ranked just behind Bryant in shots attempted per game (Bryant took 20.1 shots per game, while Carter took 20.0). And Carter is still among the league leaders in that category this year at 19.0 shots per game, although he's well behind Bryant, who leads the NBA at 27.7 shots per contest.

I'm sure Vince wouldn't have a problem with it if it was him who scored 81 points!

Brutalis
01-24-2006, 08:44 PM
No... he isn't jealous. He speaks the truth...

Willinsa
01-24-2006, 08:53 PM
Remember also Carter has 0 titles and Kobe has 3, I think he is a bit jealous.

ALVAREZ6
01-24-2006, 08:59 PM
Plus, Carter isn't even a team player, I don't even wanna hear it.

VC is just like Kobe, only Kobe is good.

ducks
01-24-2006, 09:38 PM
damm I thought it would be james

Sense
01-25-2006, 12:20 AM
I agree with Vince.... and I respect Kobe.

Obstructed_View
01-25-2006, 09:19 AM
LOL at Vince praising the team concept. I think that should be the textbook definition of "hating".

Medvedenko
01-25-2006, 11:21 AM
Yeah, he's the epitome of team...tanking a season and demanding a trade, then stating that he didn't try in all games....what a tool. I understand the words he spoke and yes a guy taking 46 shots is not condusive to a team concept, but it's not like he Kobe inbounded the ball to himself, set his own screens and passed himself the ball, the team did all that. Anyways, a lot of guys are hating, namely the Mavs...I guess being destroyed by Kobe will do that.

sa_butta
01-25-2006, 11:30 AM
Yeah, he's the epitome of team...tanking a season and demanding a trade, then stating that he didn't try in all games....what a tool. I understand the words he spoke and yes a guy taking 46 shots is not condusive to a team concept, but it's not like he Kobe inbounded the ball to himself, set his own screens and passed himself the ball, the team did all that. Anyways, a lot of guys are hating, namely the Mavs...I guess being destroyed by Kobe will do that.Also I dont hear any one from Kobe's team complaining he did not pass the ball, I mean shit he was on fire. He was making everything shooting over 60% for the game. You really think someone on his team is going to tell him to stop shooting when he is hot like that? It was a great performance just give him his props. As mentioned above VC is not exactly the assists leader in the league either.

nkdlunch
01-25-2006, 12:03 PM
These days it's easier to have 40,50,60 pt games than in the old days. How else do you explain how many players are having big games. I wouldn't be surprised if even Parker has a couple of 50 pt games this season.

Carter is speaking some truth, but he is not the one to make those coments being one of the most overrated players ever.

Obstructed_View
01-25-2006, 01:08 PM
These days it's easier to have 40,50,60 pt games than in the old days. How else do you explain how many players are having big games. I wouldn't be surprised if even Parker has a couple of 50 pt games this season.
I can't agree with you on that. Kobe scores a bunch of points but his FG% is insane. What he does he has been doing with efficiency the last few years. Parker has the efficiency, but he won't score 50 points in a game simply because it isn't necessary in order for the team to win, and he lacks the ability to shoot over someone if they stop his penetrations.

I could be wrong, but I'd be willing to bet that there aren't any more individual high scoring performances than there are most years, aside from the fact that the most selfish player-slash-best scorer in the league is on an abysmally bad team, which is a severe anomaly. The popularity of fantasy basketball makes everyone box-score watchers, and ESPN has decided that it's more important than anything else, so there's more of a focus.

kukjavel
01-25-2006, 04:25 PM
didn't carter tell the other team which play his team was going to run coming out of the timeout?

Phenomanul
01-25-2006, 04:40 PM
didn't carter tell the other team which play his team was going to run coming out of the timeout?

Classic.

Vashner
01-25-2006, 05:40 PM
Rings talk bullshit walks...

Kobe can score both on the court and in the hotel room.

Oh, Gee!!
01-25-2006, 05:49 PM
No... he isn't jealous. He speaks the truth...

could be a little of both

1Parker1
01-25-2006, 08:40 PM
It's the pot calling the kettle black. Difference is VC has a Jason Kidd caliber PG feeding him the ball, whereas Kobe has a Smush Parker type player around him. Guess which player still is the scoring leader?

VC should shut up. He has 2 other All stars on his team and they're barely winning the weak Atlantic Division. Meanwhile, Kobe is surrounded by Kwame Brown and Smush Parker types of players and is leading his team to the 8th spot in the West.

VC needs to shut up and worry about his own team. :rolleyes

alamo50
01-26-2006, 10:35 AM
Carter praises Kobe

By Vincent Bonsignore, Staff Writer

Vince Carter knew something was up when his mother called him to tell him the national media was ripping him for his reaction to Kobe Bryant's historic 81-point scoring performance Sunday.
Carter was quoted as saying Bryant's performance sent a wrong message to youngsters still learning to play the game. The danger being they'd abandon team play to try to score as many points as possible.

For that, Carter was vilified on TV and in print for knocking Bryant's performance.

Of course, it didn't help that Carter once admitted he was trying to force a trade from the Toronto Raptors by not playing hard, making it a bit harder for people to take him seriously when talking about team basketball.

Still, Carter was surprised by the reaction his comments generated. He didn't deny implying there were some negative aspects to Bryant's game before his New Jersey Nets took the floor against the Clippers at Staples Center on Wednesday. But he was adamant that he wasn't ripping Bryant at all. In fact, the performance left him awestruck.

"I don't know who took it out of context but what I said was kids were going to try to be like Kobe Bryant and try to score 81 points in their high school basketball game," Carter said. "But they can't. There's only one guy who can do that and he did it. Next to Wilt. And maybe Michael Jordan."

Carter was shocked to find out some people took that to mean he was knocking Bryant.

"Why would I do that? This guy just accomplished something we'll never see for awhile, unless he does it again. In a world where guys are always getting publicity for the negative things they've done in their life, this is something that every player who steps on the floor as a basketball player should say, 'Wow.' That's what I said.

"It was never once meant to be something negative. It's like when you go to a R-rated movie and they say, 'Don't try this at home.' But this was an accomplishment. Why should anyone hate on any player who scores 81 points?"

Vincent Bonsignore, (818) 713-3612

[email protected]

Link (http://www.dailynews.com/sports/ci_3437754)

Medvedenko
01-26-2006, 11:37 AM
backtracking....Kobe plays the Nets March 17th.....I see a triple doulbe that game.

alamo50
01-26-2006, 12:07 PM
Yeah from Vince.

Trainwreck2100
01-26-2006, 12:33 PM

Back in the old days it was actually wrong to rape a girl and cheat on your wife, also back then someone would have just taken him out with a flagrant.

1Parker1
01-27-2006, 12:10 AM
:rolleyes

http://academic.scranton.edu/student/VOLZB3/basketball_files/slide0002_image002.jpg

:rolleyes

Check out what team I'm listed as a fan of. Hint: It's not the Sixers.

Brutalis
01-27-2006, 01:01 AM
this coming from a guy who fucked his team by quitting?

fuck carter that fucken pussy. he doesnt ahve shit on anyone. jason kidd is the one who is feeding this guys 8 points just off alley oops.

FUCK U CARTER
Fucked his team by quitting?

Why do you think Bosh turned down a contract by Toronto? They got shitty management. Nobody wants to play for them.

Brutalis
01-27-2006, 01:02 AM
Lol @ People hating on Vince. His message was clear and respectful to Kobe. You people need to shutup pounding him over this crap. Senseless.

Mixability
01-27-2006, 01:51 AM
Guess who's jealous of Kobe's wife

T Pork

1Parker1
01-27-2006, 07:06 PM
You people need to shutup pounding him over this crap. Senseless.

:rolleyes This is a public forum where people are open to debate and discuss and interpret whatever the hell they want. Who are you to tell us to "shut up" and say that our views and opinions are "senseless?"

GO SPurs Go
01-28-2006, 01:43 AM
Plus, Carter isn't even a team player, I don't even wanna hear it.

VC is just like Kobe, only Kobe is good.
I totally agree, Kobe is such a good person, actually, I'm sure everyone of you would let him babysit your sisters in a hotel room. After all you would get a 1 million dollar ring in return

GO SPurs Go
01-28-2006, 01:44 AM
Fucked his team by quitting?

Why do you think Bosh turned down a contract by Toronto? They got shitty management. Nobody wants to play for them.
Correct me if I'm wrong but Kobe is fucking much more than teams...........

Brutalis
01-28-2006, 01:49 AM
:rolleyes This is a public forum where people are open to debate and discuss and interpret whatever the hell they want. Who are you to tell us to "shut up" and say that our views and opinions are "senseless?"
Um. VC obviously made his point clear after people like YOU trashed him for being jealous. Yet for haters like YOU it still isn't enough.

Gimme a break. Try again!

E20
01-28-2006, 02:16 AM
Um. VC obviously made his point clear after people like YOU trashed him for being jealous. Yet for haters like YOU it still isn't enough.

Gimme a break. Try again!
VC is a puss, go join Sequs' circle jerk.

angel_luv
01-28-2006, 11:17 AM
Still, Carter was surprised by the reaction his comments generated.

:rolleyes :lol @ Vince giving lectures about being a team player.

Yo Vince! Try thinking before you speak. It will save you the hassle of back tracking later.

Kobe doesn't really impress me. Sure he saves his team with his scoring but when was that last time Kobe tried to help the team ( when possible) by involving everyone on it?

angel_luv
01-28-2006, 11:21 AM
What did I just say? :lol
Thank you Ducks!

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33653
If Kobe Bryant is concerned about rising expectations or feeling compelled to top his historic 81-point performance Sunday, he isn't letting on. He sounded comfortable with just blending in tonight when the Lakers host the Golden State Warriors.
"I'm not really concerned with any of that stuff, I'm just looking to get another win," Bryant said.

That's good news to Lakers coach Phil Jackson, who said it's important that Bryant fight the urge to try to make history again by somehow outdoing himself.

With the Lakers opening a seven-game trip Sunday in Detroit, Jackson is hoping for a momentum-building team effort rather than a one-man show just for the sake of entertainment value.

"Kobe has to blend his talents with what the game requires," Jackson said. "And he knows how important this game is for us to win to get out on the road with some good wishes and good elements."

Jackson would just as soon see Smush Parker or Kwame Brown lead the Lakers in scoring tonight. Both players had big games against the Warriors in Oakland two weeks ago, and each presents appealing match up possibilities the Lakers need to exploit.

"If those are the two players who have to have 20- or 18-point games and if Kobe has to play (Jason Richardson) to a standstill for us to win the game, then that's what we have to do," Jackson said. "We're not looking for Kobe to score 80 or 50 or 30, we're just trying to fit it all together and get a win."

Finally Jackson speaks true! :lol

E20
01-28-2006, 02:13 PM
Kobe had 9 assists last night along witha mediocre 30 points. 4 other players were in double figures, with most of the other players that played in the high 8's to 9's.

iminlakerland
01-30-2006, 02:27 PM
Eh im a little late on this comment but its funny that Vince Carter would be the one talking about a negative response kids would have on Kobe's performance.

Was it not Vince Carter who suffered from Jumpers Knee because all Vince Carter did was dunk the ball? Kids these days worry more about being able to dunk and be flashy, rather than practice the fundamentals. Passing, Dribbling and actually hitting outside jumpers.

Kobe's 81 point performance displayed the arsenal that he possesses. He hit shot after shot from the outside, fadeaways, pull up jumpers, 3's, layups, it was an all around shooting performance.

But I guess at this point I am beating the subject to death.

cecil collins
01-30-2006, 03:09 PM
Fuck Kobe.