PDA

View Full Version : Blowout allows Marks to show off some skills

Kori Ellis
01-25-2006, 01:28 AM
Spurs notebook: Blowout allows Marks to show off some skills

Web Posted: 01/25/2006 12:14 AM CST
Mike Monroe
Express-News Staff Writer

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA012506.5C.BKNspurs.notebook.12d9cbb0.html

He was the last Spurs' player to enter the game in their 104-76 thumping of the injury-depleted Charlotte Bobcats on Tuesday night at the AT&T Center, but backup big man Sean Marks made the most of his court time.

Squeezing off five shots in his nine minutes and 22 seconds, a pace that extends to 26 shots in a 48-minute game, Marks scored a season-high eight points, two of them off an emphatic dunk that had him pumping his fist and his teammates roaring on the bench.

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich lauded both Marks and seldom-used point guard Beno Udrih, who scored a season-high 17 points, but he also had some fun with Mark's excessive exuberance.

"They're exactly the same mold as Steve Kerr and Danny Ferry were," Popovich said. "No matter what the situation is, they're there before practice and after practice to stay in shape. They realize it's their job. They're professionals and they're getting paid to be ready. It's nice to be able to have time once in a while to get them out on the court.

"Sean, however, is probably gong to have to put his arm in an ice bucket, both from shooting so many times — he shot more times tonight than he did all last season — and then showing that bravado."

Marks, the only player from New Zealand in the NBA, has spent much of the season on the inactive list. Tuesday's stint was just his eighth appearance of the season.

"It felt great to get out there and contribute a little," Marks said. "Practices are all fun, but there's nothing like a game. It's nice when you get out there, and especially nice when the guys are playing well."

Marks even had a turn doing live stand-ups for local news telecasts, but teammate Tim Duncan had to make sure decency prevailed on the airwaves.

"Ooh," Duncan yelled from the background to Marks, bare-chested as the TV shot was being set up. "Put a shirt on. You're out of dress code."

Been there and back: Veteran Spurs forward Robert Horry said he could relate to what Sacramento Kings forward Peja Stojakovic was feeling Tuesday when he was told the Kings had traded him for Indiana's Ron Artest, only to learn later that Artest had effectively sabotaged the deal.

In 1994 the Houston Rockets traded Horry to the Detroit Pistons for Sean Elliott. He reported to Detroit and held up his Pistons uniform at a press conference. Before he could play a game in Detroit, Elliott failed his physical in Houston, and the deal was nixed.

Returning to Houston, Horry said, was easy.

"I had no quarrel with the organization," Horry said. "It actually gave me a burst of energy. I don't know what Peja's mindset is, but I know he had already been talking about wanting a trade anyway."

Horry out: Horry sat out his fourth consecutive game with a strained lower abdomen, and Popovich said he also would sit out today's game against the New Orleans-Oklahoma City Hornets in Oklahoma City.

With two days off between today's game at the Ford Center and Saturday's game against the Minnesota Timberwolves at the AT&T Center, Horry hopes to be able to suit up Saturday.

The game against the Timberwolves will be the last time the Spurs play at home until Feb. 21. They are scheduled for eight-straight road games as the annual San Antonio Stock Show & Rodeo takes over the AT&T Center after Saturday's game

angel_luv
01-25-2006, 01:29 AM
Free the Kiwi!

He did so good!

Kori Ellis
01-25-2006, 01:30 AM
Pop was really funny about Sean Marks in the postgame. When the whole video comes up on woai.com in the morning, it's pretty funny.

angel_luv
01-25-2006, 01:45 AM
I'll be sure to watch it.

NZHayden
01-25-2006, 07:50 AM
yay he got court time, go sean

fraga
01-25-2006, 08:32 AM
He did very well...sometimes people just need a chance...

T Park
01-25-2006, 09:03 AM
charlotte.

Thats all that needs to be said.

smeagol
01-25-2006, 09:32 AM
charlotte.

What's up with the boutonesque comment? :lol

sa_butta
01-25-2006, 09:38 AM
Way to go Sean, at least he can dunk with some authority.

abelle23
01-25-2006, 10:41 AM
real confidence builder for sean...

GoSpurs21
01-25-2006, 10:45 AM
charlotte.

Thats all that needs to be said.since it was only charlotte then how come all the Spurs didnt have career nights numbnuts?

spurjur
01-25-2006, 11:13 AM
charlotte.

^^^^That was posted by T-Park.

That's all that needs to be said.

spurjur
01-25-2006, 11:16 AM
I like Sean Marks. He has a good attitude and makes the most of every opportunity he gets. He isn't afraid to take the shot and isn't afraid to go for the dunk when he is near the basket.

nkdlunch
01-25-2006, 12:07 PM
he's got a beatiful shot for a big man

DesiSpur_21
01-25-2006, 12:35 PM
Sean Marks is a professional and a stud.

Can't wait for highlights and post game video/audio.

Kori Ellis
01-25-2006, 12:38 PM
Here's some of the video on spurs.com
http://www.nba.com/media/spurs/060124.wmv

But I think WOAI should have the complete video up in a little while.

Phenomanul
01-25-2006, 12:56 PM
Duncan's quote was hilarious...

angel_luv
01-25-2006, 12:59 PM
Marks even had a turn doing live stand-ups for local news telecasts, but teammate Tim Duncan had to make sure decency prevailed on the airwaves.

"Ooh," Duncan yelled from the background to Marks, bare-chested as the TV shot was being set up. "Put a shirt on. You're out of dress code."

:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

fraga
01-25-2006, 01:19 PM
He can stroke it with the best of them............wait......

spurs=bling
01-25-2006, 06:46 PM
great article, and i just saw the videos. Tim Duncan is just a funny guy

SequSpur
01-25-2006, 06:56 PM
Marks should start.

Guru of Nothing
01-25-2006, 07:09 PM

Yea, but from what I have seen, he has no pump-fake game at all.

But seriously, I would not mind seeing him get some minutes - get a heat-check, so to speak. ... Who knows what could happen.

Solid D
01-25-2006, 07:23 PM
Marks should start.

Can I use this in my sig?

T Park
01-25-2006, 07:48 PM
since it was only charlotte then how come all the Spurs didnt have career nights numbnuts

Are you serious?

Nice personal attack there cutie.

T Park
01-25-2006, 07:49 PM
That was posted by T-Park.

That's all that needs to be said

Do you have a point? Or are you just spamming??

If so, move on sonny.

NZHayden
01-25-2006, 08:50 PM
Marks should start.
agreed