PDA

View Full Version : Greg Anthony thinks TP is a MVP candidate???

gospursgojas
01-25-2006, 01:48 AM
Did y'all watch Fastbreak??? Gregg Anthony asked if Tony should be given more (as if there were any to begin with) consideration for MVP honors...John Saunders and Tim Legler just scoffed.

Tony isn't up threre with Kobe and the likes of him, but if you think about it...With the health of Tim and Manu all year, what would the Spurs record be without TP playing the way he has this year....

:fro

SpursDork
01-25-2006, 01:58 AM
LOL Really? Jack McCallum of SI included Tony in a list of MVP Candidates as well.

midgetonadonkey
01-25-2006, 01:59 AM
I'll shave my balls if he even gets second in MVP voting. I'm not shitting on Tony, but no way he gets the respect he deserves.

midgetonadonkey
01-25-2006, 02:02 AM
If he does get MVP, all the San Antonio mexican cops will really be after his autograph.

Solid D
01-25-2006, 02:15 AM
Interesting. TP should get his props for his best season but my vote would go to Billups. Chauncey is a great floor general and he plays strong defense, too.

The Billups/Rasheed high screen play is the best in the business right now. Any time Detroit needs to gain separation on their opponents, their execution out of that has been death to all of their opponents...basically unguardable.

TDMVPDPOY
01-25-2006, 02:31 AM
no way tp is mvp, there are other pgs in the league who are havin a career year. If tp gets mvp then thats bs, same with nash last season

MI21
01-25-2006, 02:36 AM
Just goes to show you how thick some media parts are in terms of MVP voting.

This is the 2nd time I've heard a media member talk about Tony in regards to being in the MVP race, and that's just ridiculous.

I love the way he is playing and he is definatly and All-Star and I also think there is only 3 other PG's who can say they are better this season (Nash, Billups, AI), but MVP talk is just insane.

gospursgojas
01-25-2006, 02:43 AM
Just goes to show you how thick some media parts are in terms of MVP voting.

This is the 2nd time I've heard a media member talk about Tony in regards to being in the MVP race, and that's just ridiculous.

I love the way he is playing and he is definatly and All-Star and I also think there is only 3 other PG's who can say they are better this season (Nash, Billups, AI), but MVP talk is just insane.

The MVP award isn't necessarly about numbers...Its the value of the player to the team...take AI away from the sixers and they still suck, take Billups away from the Pistons and they are still awesome. I know that this is Tims team and that his importance to this team is far greater than any other player on the Spurs, but take away TP from the Spurs this season, and with Tim and Manu hurting this year the Spurs may not even be in the top 4 or 5 of the league....Im not supporting TP for MVP b.c I think that that honor goes to either Nash or Kobe, but I'm just saying just because another PG has better numbers doesn't mean he is an MVP

Solid D
01-25-2006, 02:53 AM
Some good points. Regarding Billups, although the Pistons have the best starting 5 in basketball right now, I still believe that if Billups had to sit for several games, the Pistons would struggle against certain teams. He brings consistency to his team and he has an innate sense of when to pull out the dagger, and convert on it.

MI21
01-25-2006, 03:03 AM
The MVP award isn't necessarly about numbers...Its the value of the player to the team...take AI away from the sixers and they still suck, take Billups away from the Pistons and they are still awesome. I know that this is Tims team and that his importance to this team is far greater than any other player on the Spurs, but take away TP from the Spurs this season, and with Tim and Manu hurting this year the Spurs may not even be in the top 4 or 5 of the league....Im not supporting TP for MVP b.c I think that that honor goes to either Nash or Kobe, but I'm just saying just because another PG has better numbers doesn't mean he is an MVP

I didn't say anything about statistics. Also, your definition isn't neccasarily the correct one. It's not always given to a player who is the most important to his team. Take Jordan for exampl, he retired and the Bulls still reached Game 7 2nd round and won 55 games without him the next season. So he wasn't the most important player to his team in the league when he was winning MVP's, but he was the best player in the league. Different years, different meanings for an MVP.

MVP is either the best player in the league, most dominant in the league for that year or the most important player to his team's success. The winners usually alternate between being one of the above.

Tony isn't close to fitting the definition of any of the above.

gospursgojas
01-25-2006, 03:10 AM
I didn't say anything about statistics. Also, your definition isn't neccasarily the correct one. It's not always given to a player who is the most important to his team. Take Jordan for exampl, he retired and the Bulls still reached Game 7 2nd round and won 55 games without him the next season. So he wasn't the most important player to his team in the league when he was winning MVP's, but he was the best player in the league. Different years, different meanings for an MVP.

MVP is either the best player in the league, most dominant in the league for that year or the most important player to his team's success. The winners usually alternate between being one of the above.

Tony isn't close to fitting the definition of any of the above.

Are you serious???

Anyway...I didn't know that the NBA was on a alternating schedule between the best, most dominating, and team importance... :rolleyes

TDfan2007
01-25-2006, 03:23 AM
I think I speak for all spurs fans when I say...

Greg Anthony = :idiot

mathbzh
01-25-2006, 03:30 AM
I am a big fan of Tony.
But see TP as a MVP candidate is a joke. Maybe in a few years...

MI21
01-25-2006, 05:05 AM
Are you serious???

Anyway...I didn't know that the NBA was on a alternating schedule between the best, most dominating, and team importance... :rolleyes

Yeah, I am serious, but I think you may have misunderstood me. He was the most important player ON his team, but not the most important player to his team. For example, the Spurs of that era would of probably won 35-40 games less if they didn't have David Robinson. When the Bulls lost Jordan, there win total only dropped by 10ish. You see my point now?

I didn't say the NBA was on a schedule, I just said those are the different reasons the award is usually given to players. If it was given to "The Best Player in the League" every year, then Jordan would have won it in 89,90,91,92,93,96,97,98, He didn't. If they had always given it to the most important player in regards to his teams success like you suggested, then Drob would of had more than 1.

Players win the MVP for a reason, and it isn't always because his team would suck without them, like you said. So don't twist what I'm saying into something stupid.

mavsfan1000
01-25-2006, 05:42 AM
Parker isn't even an allstar in my opinion. He rides Duncan's coatail to succeeding. Duncan did the same for Manu last year. The spurs success revolve around Duncan on both sides of the floor.

Dre_7
01-25-2006, 06:26 AM
I love Tony and hate Kobe, but, being unbiased, I would have to say that , so far, Kobe is the MVP.

Vashner
01-25-2006, 07:08 AM
Rapist Kobe will get it..

Don't you know how it works yet?

ducks
01-25-2006, 09:22 AM
I believe he has been the spurs mvp this season

Parkersgirl9
01-25-2006, 09:35 AM
Parker isn't even an allstar in my opinion. He rides Duncan's coatail to succeeding. Duncan did the same for Manu last year. The spurs success revolve around Duncan on both sides of the floor.

Right.... I don't know about MVP, but Tony is an allstar no doubt. Only a Mav fan would say something like Tony is not an allstar and rides teh coat tail of Tim Duncan. How about giving our players some of thier own credit. Pretty soon we will have 3 all stars on our team.

pache100
01-25-2006, 09:36 AM
The MVP award isn't necessarly about numbers...Its the value of the player to the team...

:tu

People tend to forget that.

Tony is definitely MY MVP.

ducks
01-25-2006, 09:43 AM
mav fan
why do coaches say their goal is to stop parker not duncan if tp is riding duncan's coattails?

Obstructed_View
01-25-2006, 09:53 AM
In my opinion....(insert stupid statement here)
Just paste this into your posts from now on to save time.

SA210
01-25-2006, 09:53 AM
I really don't understand the Tony bashing. Or ones who underrate him. He has been awesome, and HE himself is having a career year and being consistant at it.

Isn't that what we've been asking of him?

Well, he's doing it, although I wish his assists would be at least 6.5 apg.

However, Tony may Not be the MVP of this league, but so far This season, Tony IS the MVP of the Spurs, and we have the 2nd best record in the NBA. Say what you want about Timmy, I love the guy and I know he's number one, and he should be. But Timmy, although averaging a double double, is NOT the guy being aggressive night in and night out like Tony. And that's a fact. Tony takes care of business even when Timmy's on the bench as well.

Now, every year, we hear about MVP candidates, and we always hear who the top 5 are. Now we all know that we always talk about who deserves consideration on the list.

That doesn't mean He is the MVP of the NBA, but you always hear, "Shaq should at least be on the list", or "so and so although not going to win it, should be on a top 5 list" and so on.

Why shouldn't Tony at least be mentioned on a list? Again, He's the MVP of the 2nd best team in basketball. Winning the award, maybe not, but talking about it is not out of bounds.

:tu Way to goTony.

Obstructed_View
01-25-2006, 10:00 AM
Tony's playing great and should be an all-star. I would also trade him for ZERO other PGs in this league.

That said, when a guy isn't even the most valuable player on his own team, he probably shouldn't get consideration for MVP. Tony is awesome, and he's having a great year, but he's not MVP in the NBA or on the Spurs.

ducks
01-25-2006, 10:04 AM
tony has to win the finals mvp to shut the haters up
he was the leading one the first 3-4 games against the nets

Obstructed_View
01-25-2006, 10:13 AM
tony has to win the finals mvp to shut the haters up
he was the leading one the first 3-4 games against the nets
Actually, he doesn't. An argument can be made that in the last few years a team's success against the Spurs is directly linked to their ability to slow down Parker.

spurs_fan_in_exile
01-25-2006, 10:26 AM
I think the main thing that makes an MVP candidate is the ability to make their teammates better. That's not to say that Tony doesn't do that, but it's hard to improve on guys like Manu and Tim. Compare that to Steve Nash, who has been surrounded by guys who suddenly start having career years when they're on the floor with him.

Tony's an All-star, but not quite in the running for MVP.

SAGambler
01-25-2006, 11:21 AM

I have to disagree with that.. I think if you take CB out of the mix, the Pistons become just a so-so team..

I also think Chauncey will get MVP honors this year....

SenorSpur
01-25-2006, 11:54 AM
Actually, he doesn't. An argument can be made that in the last few years a team's success against the Spurs is directly linked to their ability to slow down Parker.

For further evidence, remember what happened during the 2004 conference semifinals versus the Fakers. Parker is having a field day and looks unstoppable with his penetrations into the paint and kickout to the shooters. Spurs go up 2-0.

Fakers shift their entire defense toward keeping Tony out of the paint, giving him hard fouls and closing out on shooters. Fakers win both games in L.A. and tie series 2-2. Spurs go back to S.A. and then endure the humiliation of the Derek Fisher shot during Game 5. Spurs lose series 4-2.

easjer
01-25-2006, 11:56 AM
So yeah. Being an MVP candidate is not the same thing as winning the MVP.

I was having this argument with spurs_fan_in_exile this weekend. I think Tony is an MVP candidate. Look at the career year he's having. For God's sake, this little point guard is top of hte league in points in the paint. He should be considered for an MVP award.

Now that is not an automatic jump to winning the MVP award. I wouldn't vote for him to win it all, he doesn't meet all the criteria. But that doesn't mean his name shouldn't be cropping up more than it is.

nkdlunch
01-25-2006, 12:06 PM
TP is a solid allstar this season that's all

leemajors
01-25-2006, 12:12 PM
there's nothing wrong with putting his name up for consideration. it doesn't mean greg anthony thinks he is the mvp, he thinks he should be considred for it.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
01-25-2006, 12:18 PM
Why is everyone making a big deal about this? PJ Brown and Marcus Camby received votes last year...

Is he top 5? No, but he is a legit top 10 candidate...

DesiSpur_21
01-25-2006, 12:26 PM
I think I speak for all spurs fans when I say...

Greg Anthony = :idiot

:tu

That's all

FromWayDowntown
01-25-2006, 12:32 PM
I think its enough that Tony has elevated his game to the point that he's basically a no-brainer all-star. His play has sustained the Spurs for parts of the first half of this season and allowed them to weather some mild storms.

His game in Dallas in early December may end up making the difference between a 1 seed and a 4 seed.

For all of that, he might be the Spurs' first-half MVP. If he continues to play at this level, he'll keep the Spurs in the title mix for the next 4-5 years. That's all good. I don't see him as an MVP candidate in any real sense, but I think we're seeing him blossom into a star-level player who must be accounted for every night. That, in the end, will help the Spurs, because it gives defenses 3 guys to deal contend with every night. In a playoff series (other than maybe the Pistons) teams are going to have a very difficult time taking away more than 1 of those 3 things, which greatly enhances the Spurs' chances to make a deep run at defending their title.

mavsfan1000
01-25-2006, 12:46 PM
If you have to rely on Parker in the playoffs you are in trouble. He tends to disappear in the big games and Manu had to play extraordinary along with the defense to make up for that. Remember the lakers series. :lol

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-25-2006, 12:47 PM
I'll shave my balls if he even gets second in MVP voting.

Don't knock it before you try it.

SequSpur
01-25-2006, 12:57 PM
If you have to rely on Parker in the playoffs you are in trouble. He tends to disappear in the big games and Manu had to play extraordinary along with the defense to make up for that. Remember the lakers series. :lol

You're a fucking idiot.

sa_butta
01-25-2006, 01:04 PM
If you have to rely on Parker in the playoffs you are in trouble. He tends to disappear in the big games and Manu had to play extraordinary along with the defense to make up for that. Remember the lakers series. :lolThats the great thing, we dont have to rely on Parker with 3 main scorers in the starting line up. That is why we won the title last year Parker, Ginobili and Duncan. Three All-stars in my book.

Obstructed_View
01-25-2006, 01:29 PM
Parker has two more rings than the Mavs do, so you might show a sense of perspective. I would say "remember the defense against Rip", but I'm sure you weren't watching that or the Lakers series.

ducks
01-25-2006, 01:46 PM
dude parker is like 23
he is playing better in the postseason then a guy named james
james can not handle the pressure after the allstra break
tp does quit well

timvp
01-25-2006, 01:47 PM
tp does quit well

CLASSIC.

:smokin

ducks
01-25-2006, 01:50 PM
look how many 23 year olds handle the playoff pressure as well as tp

mcnabb for the eagles chokes every postseason

tp gets a very bad rap by fans

you guys are lucky he fell clear to number 28 in the draft

those picks are suppose to be on the bench and be fucking ROLE players

I would say tp is much better then alot would like to admit

Solid D
01-25-2006, 01:54 PM
dude parker is like 23
he is playing better in the postseason then a guy named james
james can not handle the pressure after the allstra break
tp does quit well

CLASSIC.

:smokin

ducks if you ever have my back, please don't defend me in writing. :lol

Parkersgirl9
01-25-2006, 02:00 PM

Um do ever only rely on Tony Parker? He has teammates like Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili. Those 3 have all proved that we can rely on them so don't worry about us. We have three big time players.

leemajors
01-25-2006, 02:38 PM

a mavs fan talking about a spur player who disappears in big games. the irony is quite delicious.

mavsfan1000
01-25-2006, 03:11 PM
a mavs fan talking about a spur player who disappears in big games. the irony is quite delicious.
Parker almost caused the spurs to lose to the Pistons by himself. Billups owned Parker.

leemajors
01-25-2006, 04:15 PM
and mcgrady owned dirk, which almost let the mavs lose to the rockettes. parker was outplayed in a few games, but it isn't the best matchup for him. he didn't disappear totally, and didn't almost lose the series all by himself. you're really reaching here. and all this is besides the point - we have relied on tony for the last couple years and still won 2 rings. if he was that big a choke artist he would be like a mav, ringless. the laker series and the piston series are in the past, this thread is about ton'y play this year.

Lady M
01-25-2006, 04:25 PM
Parker almost caused the spurs to lose to the Pistons by himself. Billups owned Parker.
tony make 16 pts last year with 48%
this year 19.5 and 54.5%
how can you say what can he do in the 2006 playoff?
He's a young player who progress very year.
you take exemple when he was 21, when a lot of player don't play in NBA.
Maybe he can't penetrate but noone know the futur.
Maybe his shoot will improved a lot (against Miami we can see it)

FoxMulder
01-25-2006, 04:28 PM
Forget about it
The Spurs can play without TP but they still canīt play without tim Duncan... even when he is injured...
His game improved a lot... but still isnīt an MVP candidate...

Obstructed_View
01-25-2006, 04:44 PM
Yeah, and Billups isn't a good player or anything. Bowen took Billups and guess who played kick ass D on Rip?

E20
01-25-2006, 07:43 PM
If 81s' team gets to the PO. Then he is a lock in for MVP.

dknights411
01-25-2006, 09:36 PM
Tony will get some MVP consideration. SOME. Then they'll give it to Kobe. Now way you can ignore 81.

I would still vote for Chauncey Billups though.

mavsfan1000
01-26-2006, 02:50 AM
Yeah, and Billups isn't a good player or anything. Bowen took Billups and guess who played kick ass D on Rip?

Rip was just missing that whole series. Didn't matter who guarded him. All the Spurs needed to do is put Bowen on Billups since Parker was a defensive liability in that series.

T-Pain
01-26-2006, 04:35 AM
like one of yall told me when i said that Greg Anthony said on sportscenter that the Spurs have a chance at landing Artest, hes a genius.

gospursgojas
01-26-2006, 04:39 AM
like one of yall told me when i said that Greg Anthony said on sportscenter that the Spurs have a chance at landing Artest, hes a genius.

They did... they are a team in the NBA aren't they???

Gregg Anthony is an idiot, but I just found it odd that he said that, and it also made me think....maybe Tony isn't getting the recognition he deserves. But as long as he is a shoe in for the ASG, then I would have to say that thats about the right amount of respect....

spursjustice
01-26-2006, 08:45 AM
I agree, Tony isn't getting the recognition he deserves but even if he does, he's not MVP material. Billups, deservedly, should be the MVP, but he'll get overlooked.

Peter
01-26-2006, 11:26 AM
Hey, maybe Parker is that good.

SAGambler
01-26-2006, 11:44 AM
Tony will get some MVP consideration. SOME. Then they'll give it to Kobe. Now way you can ignore 81.

I would still vote for Chauncey Billups though.

If Kobe gets MVP just because of an 81 point game, instead of Billups, whose team I feel would just be so-so without him on the floor, then I think the MVP award really doesn't mean a whole lot..

If the Pistons have a second half season like the first, I don't see how they CAN"T give Billups the MVP trophy.

Tony deserves ASG recognition.. Tony is not league MVP.

And yeah, I think nationally Tony doesn't get near the recognition he deserves.

Obstructed_View
01-26-2006, 10:11 PM
Rip was just missing that whole series. Didn't matter who guarded him. All the Spurs needed to do is put Bowen on Billups since Parker was a defensive liability in that series.
Further proof that you stopped watching when the Mavs choked it away.

mavsfan1000
01-27-2006, 02:10 AM
Further proof that you stopped watching when the Mavs choked it away.
I don't call choking losing to a better team. The suns were also very well rested after an easy series with Memphis while Dallas played a tough duo of Mcgrady and Yao along with them getting hot from outside. That series went to 7. Dallas just didn't have enough after that.

Obstructed_View
01-27-2006, 02:13 AM
I don't call choking losing to a better team. The suns were also very well rested after an easy series with Memphis while Dallas played a tough duo of Mcgrady and Yao along with them getting hot from outside. That series went to 7. Dallas just didn't have enough after that.
Whatever helps you sleep at night.