PDA

View Full Version : Boy shoots girl at day care center

sa_butta
01-25-2006, 10:47 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/01/24/md.child.shot.ap/index.html (http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/01/24/md.child.shot.ap/index.html)

Father charged after boy shoots girl at day care center

Police: Father has extensive criminal record

Wednesday, January 25, 2006; Posted: 8:41 a.m. EST (13:41 GMT)

GERMANTOWN, Maryland (AP) -- A 7-year-old girl was shot in the arm at a day care center Tuesday after an 8-year-old classmate brought in one of his father's guns and it accidentally went off, authorities said.

The father was arrested for gun offenses, and court documents outlined an extensive criminal record. The boy also was charged, but authorities said that was done only so he could be helped by juvenile authorities.

The boy had the weapon in a backpack and was playing with it when it went off, said Montgomery County police spokesman Derek Baliles. (Watch police activity at the day care center -- 1:26 (http://javascript<b></b>:cnnVideo('play','/video/us/2006/01/24/fox.md.day.care.shooting.wusa','2006/01/31');))

The girl was taken to a Washington hospital with a wound that was not considered life-threatening.

There were six children at the For Kids We Care Inc. day care center at the time of the shooting, authorities said. Police said the boy had found the gun, a .38-caliber Taurus revolver, in a container in his father's closet.

Police charged the 56-year-old father with leaving a firearm in a location accessible by an unsupervised minor, contributing to the delinquency of a minor, and possession of a firearm by a felon. (Watch as residents react to the shooting -- 1:26 (http://javascript<b></b>:cnnVideo('play','/video/us/2006/01/24/nurenberg.daycare.shooting.affl','2006/01/31');))

Montgomery County State's Attorney Douglas Gansler declined to give any details of the charges against the boy because of his age. The boy was to have his case reviewed by the Department of Juvenile Services, according to a police news release.

Neither youngster's name was released.

The father has an extensive criminal record dating to the 1960s, according to court documents. It includes several convictions of assault with intent to maim and gun charges. He could be sentenced to five years in prison if convicted of being a felon in possession of a handgun and three years on the delinquency of a minor charge, authorities said.

The documents said there were "numerous" other weapons in the father's apartment that his son had access to. The man was in custody and could not immediately be reached for comment.

Gansler said the boy knowingly brought the gun to the day care center and that the charges filed against him were in the "best interest of the 8-year-old to make sure he gets the help he needs" from the state.

To see the video you have to click the first link to cnn.com

batman2883
01-25-2006, 10:49 AM
oh man i wish i could have seen how the kid fell backwards after he fired that cannon

JoeChalupa
01-25-2006, 11:11 AM
I'm glad the father has been charged.

sa_butta
01-25-2006, 11:16 AM
I'm glad the father has been charged.They actually said on CNN that the boy is in custody.

JoeChalupa
01-25-2006, 11:26 AM
I admit I haven't heard the latest but I heard the gun went off while in the boy's backpack? Or did he actually point and pull the trigger?

sa_butta
01-25-2006, 11:32 AM
I admit I haven't heard the latest but I heard the gun went off while in the boy's backpack? Or did he actually point and pull the trigger?They stated that he was playing with it, and showing it, then it accidentally went off.

2Blonde
01-25-2006, 01:09 PM
oh man i wish i could have seen how the kid fell backwards after he fired that cannon
Batman,
You have a son yourself. How in hell could you even think something like that? If your son just shot someone would you seriously be wanting to see how much kickback there was on the gun? That would be funny to you? Damn, you're cold. My mind went straight to how badly the kid must feel.

sa_butta
01-25-2006, 01:23 PM
Batman,
You have a son yourself. How in hell could you even think something like that? If your son just shot someone would you seriously be wanting to see how much kickback there was on the gun? That would be funny to you? Damn, you're cold. My mind went straight to how badly the kid must feel.Not only that I hope he learned a lesson, and he is lucky that he did not kill the little girl. Also how was the gun so accessible for the kid to get and take to daycare? If you have children and keep a gun in the house it doesnt take a rocket scientist to know you must keep it out of reach and out of sight.

Mixability
01-25-2006, 02:25 PM

fucking moron.