PDA

View Full Version : Reagan High School

2Blonde
01-25-2006, 02:15 PM
Last Night my husband, daughter and I went to the course fair and parent night for incoming freshman. That place was packed. They said enrollment next year will be around 3700. The school is supposed to house around 2500. :wow

After the presentations about regular, pre-AP, AP and GT classes we went around to kiosks that were set up for all of the electives to pick up info. It was like being at a rock concert. Wall to wall people and you could barely breathe. You couldn't even get to the tables. It was ridiculous. With about nine hundred incoming freshman and their parents last night there were well over 2,000 people stuffed in that auditorium.

I'm not sure I'm ready for this. I remember registering her for kindergarten. :depressed

Kori Ellis
01-25-2006, 02:16 PM
They said enrollment next year will be around 3700. The school is supposed to house around 2500

Why is it going to be that overcrowded?

And good luck to you and your daughter.

2Blonde
01-25-2006, 02:19 PM
They are building another high school but it won't be ready until fall of 2008. People just keep moving out there.

Kori Ellis
01-25-2006, 02:20 PM
Where's the new highschool going to be?

2Blonde
01-25-2006, 02:21 PM
I think 281/Bulverde Rd. area, but i'm not positive.

batman2883
01-25-2006, 02:24 PM
reagan is a piece of crap school with piece of crap students.....GO JOHN JAY

travis2
01-25-2006, 02:24 PM
Kori...Lady Bird Johnson High School will be at Bulverde and Evans...

travis2
01-25-2006, 02:25 PM
Last Night my husband, daughter and I went to the course fair and parent night for incoming freshman. That place was packed. They said enrollment next year will be around 3700. The school is supposed to house around 2500. :wow

After the presentations about regular, pre-AP, AP and GT classes we went around to kiosks that were set up for all of the electives to pick up info. It was like being at a rock concert. Wall to wall people and you could barely breathe. You couldn't even get to the tables. It was ridiculous. With about nine hundred incoming freshman and their parents last night there were well over 2,000 people stuffed in that auditorium.

I'm not sure I'm ready for this. I remember registering her for kindergarten. :depressed

I know how you feel...been there, done that. Right now I have a senior and a freshman at Churchill...first time through is pretty much a blur now...:lol

I haven't heard what Churchill will be at next year...but I think it's over 3000 now...

2Blonde
01-25-2006, 02:25 PM
Here is a map
http://www.neisd.net/bond/2003/hsmap.pdf

Mixability
01-25-2006, 02:29 PM

way to contribute....

2Blonde
01-25-2006, 02:30 PM
way to contribute....
You know Batman, always there with a supportive word. :rolleyes

Horry For 3!
01-25-2006, 02:31 PM
Good thing I went to a small school my last 2 years of HS. 50 people in my graduating class :lol

Mixability
01-25-2006, 02:31 PM
You know Batman, always there with a supportive word. :rolleyes

i used to think it was an "act" like GiG, but now I feel sorry for him.

Moving on..... I have a young one, and now I worry about how overcrowded schools will be when he's finally school bound. :depressed

ALVAREZ6
01-25-2006, 02:32 PM
Good thing I went to a small school my last 2 years of HS. 50 people in my graduating class :lol
:wtf ???

That's like 2 class rooms...

Mixability
01-25-2006, 02:33 PM

I had 400 in my class, I wish it was smaller, more attention from the teachers.

batman2883
01-25-2006, 02:35 PM
let me guess 10 of them were your cousins and you slept with 8 of them?

Cant_Be_Faded
01-25-2006, 02:38 PM
If I ever had enough money to build a high school I would demand it be named "reagan" or "madison" high school

2Blonde
01-25-2006, 02:40 PM
i used to think it was an "act" like GiG, but now I feel sorry for him.

Moving on..... I have a young one, and now I worry about how overcrowded schools will be when he's finally school bound. :depressed

I graduated from a high school with a total of about 1400 students. That was huge to me. My graduating class was 500. Now I can't even comprehend 3,700 students in the school and a class size of over 900.

By the way, does anyone know how big the student body is at Smithson Valley? She'll be transferring out there probably in her sophmore year when we build our new house?

sa_butta
01-25-2006, 02:42 PM
I graduated with almost 800 and they finally divided it. Like Danyo I cant imagine how many will graduate with my daughter.

travis2
01-25-2006, 02:45 PM
The "official" enrollment at Smithson Valley as of 8/5/05 was 2148.

2Blonde
01-25-2006, 02:46 PM
The "official" enrollment at Smithson Valley as of 8/5/05 was 2148.
Thank you. :spin

batman2883
01-25-2006, 02:48 PM
Hack The Planet....hack The Planet...their Trashing Our Rights...trashing

travis2
01-25-2006, 02:51 PM
Thank you. :spin

You're welcome. Of course, I don't know how real those numbers are...hence the quote marks around "official".

Hell, they have Churchill at 2682 and Reagan at 3018.5. Yes, that's 3018.5. How the f*** do you get .5? :lol

sa_butta
01-25-2006, 03:06 PM
You're welcome. Of course, I don't know how real those numbers are...hence the quote marks around "official".

Hell, they have Churchill at 2682 and Reagan at 3018.5. Yes, that's 3018.5. How the f*** do you get .5? :lolMaybe one of angry midget's offspring is enrolled there.:eyebrows

Shelly
01-25-2006, 03:10 PM
Hell, Stevenson MIDDLE school is at 1800 students now. I don't think the school to relieve it will be built for a few more years.

Mixability
01-25-2006, 03:12 PM
Home school for my kid................

I wouldn't want batmans son shooting him at public school.

batman2883
01-25-2006, 03:12 PM
Damn Shelly...do You Wanna Snuggle Sometime?

King
01-25-2006, 03:16 PM
batman - when you type something, do you look at it and go 'yeah, i think this is pretty funny,' and then submit it? Cause I think you're 0-4 on this thread.

What are they building at Churchill? I went by there the other day, and they have the whole parking lot torn up, and obviously a huge project starting. When I went there (94-98) parking was terrible even with the big lot open, now they've taken about 70% of that - where do they park?

batman2883
01-25-2006, 03:18 PM
what happened to my post???

batman2883
01-25-2006, 03:18 PM
batman - when you type something, do you look at it and go 'yeah, i think this is pretty funny,' and then submit it? Cause I think you're 0-4 on this thread.

What are they building at Churchill? I went by there the other day, and they have the whole parking lot torn up, and obviously a huge project starting. When I went there (94-98) parking was terrible even with the big lot open, now they've taken about 70% of that - where do they park?
nah im just a pretty random guy i wasnt going for funny at all

Mixability
01-25-2006, 03:19 PM
nah im just a pretty random guy i wasnt going for funny at all

Adderall.

sa_butta
01-25-2006, 03:19 PM
They are also making alot of additions at Lee high School. I live down the road from there and they have been tearing it up. They have cranes and all kinds of shit there.

travis2
01-25-2006, 03:22 PM

14 Science Labs w/ Prep Storage
18 Classrooms
Computer Science Lab
New Kitchen and Cafeteria
HS Administrative Offices & Clinic
Upgrade Band Marching Area
Renovate Existing Science Labs to General Purpose Classrooms as needed

I know they've put in some more parking out by the JROTC building and down the back way out...the band is going to move to the lot by the JROTC building next year for practice (with the director's tower sitting next to the football practice field...that should be entertaining...)

sa_butta
01-25-2006, 03:24 PM
14 Science Labs w/ Prep Storage
18 Classrooms
Computer Science Lab
New Kitchen and Cafeteria
HS Administrative Offices & Clinic
Upgrade Band Marching Area
Renovate Existing Science Labs to General Purpose Classrooms as needed

I know they've put in some more parking out by the JROTC building and down the back way out...the band is going to move to the lot by the JROTC building next year for practice (with the director's tower sitting next to the football practice field...that should be entertaining...)Just curious how you know this?

travis2
01-25-2006, 03:26 PM
The first part is off of the NEISD website. The second part is because my kids are in the band there.

sa_butta
01-25-2006, 03:27 PM
oh I C. I found what they are doing to Lee there as well.

2Blonde
01-25-2006, 03:34 PM
http://www.neisd.net/bond/2003/execsummary.htm
This is the link to all of the building and upgrades that NEISD is doing.

jcrod
01-25-2006, 04:45 PM
Thats my struggle right now. My daughters in 3rd grade and don't like her school. My wife went back to school full time and we just been living off my income since. Well i paid off my car last month and most of my other bills will be paid at yrs end.

Do I move to another side of town, better schools or stay and send her to private school. The schools I've been looking into cost between 400-500 month. I like my house now, just want something a little bigger with a third bathroom. I hate the school system (northside).

2Blonde
01-25-2006, 05:34 PM
Thats my struggle right now. My daughters in 3rd grade and don't like her school. My wife went back to school full time and we just been living off my income since. Well i paid off my car last month and most of my other bills will be paid at yrs end.

Do I move to another side of town, better schools or stay and send her to private school. The schools I've been looking into cost between 400-500 month. I like my house now, just want something a little bigger with a third bathroom. I hate the school system (northside).

All I have to compare with is Oklahoma schools. We moved here when my daughter was getting ready to start 3rd grade. The difference between OK schools and NEISD is night/day. NEISD wins hands down. I know there are drawbacks, like teaching to TAKS. But that is going to happen everywhere. Overall I have been very happy with NEISD and their level of instruction.

We have had our share of problems with certain teachers, but I believe you have that everywhere. If you stay involved in your child's education then you can minimize any difficulties that arise. You have to approach it like you are attending school all over again with them.

Just wait until you see the depth of some of the history and social studies projects they get involved in at the fourth and fifth grade level. I remember for one project my daughter coming home and having to do research on Genghis Kahn and then having to make maps of his journeys and they had to dress in period costumes and eat foods like they would have eaten back then.

Shelly
01-25-2006, 06:08 PM
We're in NISD and I have been more than pleased with our elementary school. M.S., not so much, but at that level, that's a given. People who I know that have kids at O'Connor are happy with the school.

SequSpur
01-25-2006, 06:42 PM
Reagan Blows ass.

SpursWoman
01-25-2006, 06:53 PM

Not quite as bad as all that...and I believe they said enrollment is "only" around 900...but my daughter spends all day 1/30 at Garner Middle School where she starts the 6th grade next year. And they've been practicing how to open pad locks (for the lockers) ...

WTF? She's still my baby, dammit! :depressed

I'm tempted to to keep her up all night and torture her so she doesn't pass her TAKS....so she can stay in 5th forever. :nerd :spin :devil

SequSpur
01-25-2006, 06:55 PM
West Campus needs students.

Fuck Reagan.

SpursWoman
01-25-2006, 06:58 PM
They are also making alot of additions at Lee high School. I live down the road from there and they have been tearing it up. They have cranes and all kinds of shit there.

I know it's been a "few" years ... and I went to Roosevelt .... but I love what they've done to MacArthur (where my kids will go). :)

2Blonde
01-25-2006, 07:00 PM
Not quite as bad as all that...and I believe they said enrollment is "only" around 900...but my daughter spends all day 1/30 at Garner Middle School where she starts the 6th grade next year. And they've been practicing how to open pad locks (for the lockers) ...

WTF? She's still my baby, dammit! :depressed
I feel your pain. :lol
Is 900 for the whole school?? :wow Bush Middle School has about 1700.

I'm tempted to to keep her up all night and torture her so she doesn't pass her TAKS....so she can stay in 5th forever. :nerd :spin :devil

SpursWoman
01-25-2006, 07:01 PM

FWIW, I think St. Pius is only like $250-$300 per month the last I checked. It's in the 410/Harry Wurzbach area.

SpursWoman
01-25-2006, 07:02 PM

SpursWoman
01-25-2006, 07:06 PM
Yes...900 for the whole school. :)

They go to Northwood Elementary now... enrollment there is just a little over 300. I love that school, there's very heavy parent involvement & the PTA meetings are always SRO. Plus, there's a lot of money there so they get a lot of nice things for the classrooms and playground... :)

01-25-2006, 07:16 PM
My house is in the Stone Oak area and while my kids don't go to school yet, my daughters two playmates live within 2 miles of her, yet when they get elementary school age, all three will go to different schools. The rate of growth there since I moved there about 6 years ago is freaking unreal. Trust me, when the new high school goes up, Reagan will still be at 3,000+ and the new will be at that in under a year.

E20
01-25-2006, 07:20 PM
I hope you guys have some nice bathrooms down there in Texas. All the schools I've went so far have had F+ to D- bathrooms. One of mine had a a bee hive growing and someone stole the sink.

Shelly
01-25-2006, 07:22 PM
Yes...900 for the whole school. :)

They go to Northwood Elementary now... enrollment there is just a little over 300. I love that school, there's very heavy parent involvement & the PTA meetings are always SRO. Plus, there's a lot of money there so they get a lot of nice things for the classrooms and playground... :)

That's how ours is. Big PTA involvement and we make a ton of money! I should know since I'm the Treasurer! :lol

We are about 99% sure we're going to buy a lot this week and will be in the Medina Valley school district. We probably won't build for a few years, but that area is growing like crazy so I'm sure they will be adding new schools.

batman2883
01-25-2006, 07:34 PM
Reagan Blows ass.
thank you sequ i said the same thing

Kori Ellis
01-25-2006, 07:34 PM
We are about 99% sure we're going to buy a lot this week and will be in the Medina Valley school district.

Is that where the development is that you posted the link and asked about the lcoation?

Shelly
01-25-2006, 07:50 PM
Is that where the development is that you posted the link and asked about the lcoation?

Yes, it is in Mico and is about 10 miles from 1604/Culebra.

supaphly119
01-25-2006, 11:03 PM
back when i went to reagan i think it was only about 2300...that was the first two years...

Buddy Holly
01-26-2006, 12:12 AM
Northside ISD is building another school at Kyle Seale and Babcock.

I believe they revealed the name of the new high school either yesterday or the day before.

It was named after a judge from the early 1900's I believe.

Kdfelicity
01-26-2006, 12:18 AM

Bat, I thought we talked about this back in the Quattro...I thought we agreed on no more rude remarks about Reagan...

Shit, I helped open Reagan. 3rd graduating class baby, '02!!!
GO RATTLERS!!

By the way, I think my graduating class was 570 somethin. You shoulda seen Churchill my freshman year(98-99), I left that bitch cuz it was so crowded, I could actually breathe in the hallways at Reagan, it was nice...

back when i went to reagan i think it was only about 2300...that was the first two years...
What year did you graduate?

Buddy Holly
01-26-2006, 12:33 AM
My house is in the Stone Oak area and while my kids don't go to school yet, my daughters two playmates live within 2 miles of her, yet when they get elementary school age, all three will go to different schools. The rate of growth there since I moved there about 6 years ago is freaking unreal. Trust me, when the new high school goes up, Reagan will still be at 3,000+ and the new will be at that in under a year.

No joke.

I can remember going to Cornerstone as a kid and it being in the "boonies."

Now it looks like this.

http://xs65.xs.to/pics/06044/stoneoak.gif
http://xs65.xs.to/pics/06044/stoneoak2.gif
http://xs65.xs.to/pics/06044/stoneoak3.gif
http://xs65.xs.to/pics/06044/stoneoak4.gif

travis2
01-26-2006, 07:36 AM
All I have to compare with is Oklahoma schools. We moved here when my daughter was getting ready to start 3rd grade. The difference between OK schools and NEISD is night/day. NEISD wins hands down. I know there are drawbacks, like teaching to TAKS. But that is going to happen everywhere. Overall I have been very happy with NEISD and their level of instruction.

We have had our share of problems with certain teachers, but I believe you have that everywhere. If you stay involved in your child's education then you can minimize any difficulties that arise. You have to approach it like you are attending school all over again with them.

Just wait until you see the depth of some of the history and social studies projects they get involved in at the fourth and fifth grade level. I remember for one project my daughter coming home and having to do research on Genghis Kahn and then having to make maps of his journeys and they had to dress in period costumes and eat foods like they would have eaten back then.

I've been happy with the NEISD schools too. We've been really lucky...not only were the schools my kids attented good academically, keeping my kids challenged, but they had/have good music programs. (That's not consistent across all the schools)

2Blonde
01-26-2006, 11:08 AM
You live in the same area as I do. My next door neighbor's daughter started out at Stone Oak for K-3rdd then they opened Hardy Oak so she was tranferred there for 4-6. Then her son went to Hardy Oak for K-2 and this year had to tranfer to the newly opened Wilderness Oak elementary. We were lucky and my daughter got to attend Hardy Oak the whole time we lived here while she was in elementary.

McKenzie
01-26-2006, 06:10 PM

I hear ya. Judson had 5,000 when my daughter went through there. We now have Wagner, but both schools, might I say all three schools are tight. We have Judson Red, now only 12th grade, Judson Gray, 9-11 and Wagner, 9-11 with next year bringing their first senior class. Rumor has it that Judson will go back to Red, 11&12 and Gray, 9&10 next year as it's been for 15 years. We cannot open new schools fast enough for the growth in this city.

Buddy Holly
01-30-2006, 04:53 AM
Ok, just found out the name of the new NISD high school

Louis D. Brandeis High School.

Named after a United States Supreme Court Justice.

http://xs66.xs.to/pics/06051/newhighschool.PNG
Brandeis HS Locator Map
The new high school is being built close to Stinson MS ( Kyle Seale Parkway and Loop 1604) and the new Northside Natatorium, which is part of the Dub Farris Athletic Complex. Extensions to DeZavala and Kyle Seale roads are also being constructed for the new school.

ShoogarBear
01-30-2006, 05:53 AM
West Campus needs students.
Mars needs women.

SpursWoman
02-06-2006, 06:00 PM
Well ... I'll be off to our Garner orientation in just a few minutes... :depressed

2Blonde
02-06-2006, 06:02 PM
Well ... I'll be off to our Garner orientation in just a few minutes... :depressed
Awww...Have fun :spin

travis2
02-07-2006, 07:58 AM
So...? After-action report?

SpursWoman
02-07-2006, 09:07 AM
It was too weird & I felt old. Garner is across from my back yard, basically...and I drive by it pretty much every day. But I haven't actually been inside there since 8th grade basketball ... 20-something years ago. :wow :lol

travis2
02-07-2006, 10:36 AM
Just wait until your now-6th grader is doing choice sheets for high school...

easjer
02-07-2006, 12:44 PM
2Blonde- My dad teaches at SVHS. If your daughter continues in the AP track (which as a college admissions counselor, I loathe on principle), she'll take my dad for US History or Government her junior or senior year. Heh.

As for crowded schools, this may help put things in perspective- last year in Houston (well, The Woodlands, to be most accurate) The Woodlands High School had a graduating class of over 1100 students and 65 of them were tied for valedictorian.

travis2
02-07-2006, 12:48 PM
Out of curiosity...why do you loathe the AP track?

easjer
02-07-2006, 12:58 PM
Because most AP classes are crap. They teach to a test, and the students get credit, but are not adequately prepared for the next level. And AP English essays are not the same as freshmen level essays, at least in Honors (were I work). Dual credit is much the same. This isn't true of every AP class or teacher - in fact, history is generally well taught. For instance, when I was taking my freshmen history courses in college, I'd be studying for a test, and call my dad to ask about something specific (make sure I had the details right on the consequences of the War of 1812 and the burning of Washington) and he'd be in exactly the same place with his AP class.

We always sort of shudder when we see a lot of AP and Dual Credit, because the kids are in a hurry to get through and rarely well prepared to jump into the next higher class.

travis2
02-07-2006, 01:01 PM
Well, in my oldest daughter's case, I advised her that even though she is taking AP Bio this year, that she would be wise to take the freshman level class anyway...seeing as how it is going to be her major. Her other classes, on the other hand...no.

I must say her English AP teacher seems to be running them pretty hard...

2Blonde
02-07-2006, 01:06 PM
I am curious as well, Easjer? As far as continuing in the AP track, after a full year of all Pre AP & AP courses she is pretty tired. So in 9th grade she is going to take only AP geometry for a break. She is in her second year of Latin right now and it's killing her. She's got a tough course load for an 8th grader and it's burning her out. We are encouraging her to enjoy her freshman year and take courses she can make good grades in. She is pulling high a "B" average in her honors courses but she always stressed. It shouldn't be that way at 13/14 years old. That's BS

Shelly
02-07-2006, 01:13 PM
I am curious as well, Easjer? As far as continuing in the AP track, after a full year of all Pre AP & AP courses she is pretty tired. So in 9th grade she is going to take only AP geometry for a break. She is in her second year of Latin right now and it's killing her. She's got a tough course load for an 8th grader and it's burning her out. We are encouraging her to enjoy her freshman year and take courses she can make good grades in. She is pulling high a "B" average in her honors courses but she always stressed. It shouldn't be that way at 13/14 years old. That's BS

Yeah, my oldest is in all honors classes and he's doing well in them, but what irks me is that because he's in GT also, his reading teacher expects more from the kids that are.

A lot of people have told me to pull him out out of honors once he reaches high school. We'll see...

easjer
02-07-2006, 01:26 PM
Be careful about pulling out of honors in high school. I'm not saying that there isn't more work involved in those classes, just that the quality of work produced by those classes is not equal to college coursework, despite what they may tell you, at least generally speaking. This is not true in all cases (my AP teacher worked us to the bone and everyone who took the test passed with flying colors).

Please note though that I deal with a specific subset of college applications, and that we are much more demanding of our students than a regular program would be. I've sat on our admissions committee for 3 years now and in that time, AP and Dual Credit is exploding, but our required essays have gotten worse and the people that we were edgy about putting into our premiere course (which is English, literature, philosophy, history rolled into one) but had to put in because of their previous English credit via AP/DC have not been doing well in the course because they are not adequately prepared. Of course there are lots of others who have AP credit and flourish.

I will add that lots of colleges seek an unweighted GPA, so they will discount Honors and other criteria in the GPA consideration, so that an A in regular English is better than a B in Honors. But that varies by school, so . . .

The main thing is to be sure that your child knows what a thesis is and can make strong supporting arguments. In theory, they would learn that in AP classes. If you get to know the teacher, you might get a better sense of what materials they cover and if they are actually teaching the basics (which should mean they'll do well on the test) or if they are only teaching about how to pass the test. If it's the latter, skip it.

travis2
02-07-2006, 01:31 PM
Schools are concerned about AP classes that aren't AP...so they ask for an unweighted GPA???

I'm not disputing you...but I am saying that makes absolutely zero sense...

Das Texan
02-07-2006, 01:45 PM
didnt reagan just open?

needing another school now. damn.

2Blonde
02-07-2006, 02:05 PM
Schools are concerned about AP classes that aren't AP...so they ask for an unweighted GPA???

I'm not disputing you...but I am saying that makes absolutely zero sense...

Reagan's transcripts report it both ways. I'll see if I can find a copy of the way they are going to start providing it.

Kori Ellis
02-07-2006, 02:07 PM
Reagan's transcripts report it both ways. I'll see if I can find a copy of the way they are going to start providing it.

Our transcripts reported it both ways 20-something years ago. Hasn't it always been like that? (Or maybe not in Texas)

2Blonde
02-07-2006, 02:11 PM
Our transcripts reported it both ways 20-something years ago. Hasn't it always been like that? (Or maybe not in Texas)
I have no idea.

travis2
02-07-2006, 02:12 PM

OK, let me back off a little bit...

I don't know if the actual GPA recorded on the transcript is weighted or unweighted. I do know that the GPA used to determine class rank/percentile is weighted.

easjer
02-07-2006, 02:23 PM
And a weighted GPA doesn't always give an accurate indicator of a student's ability to perform in the classroom. There is raging debate in the collegiate academic community about whether or not a student should be rewarded simply by being in an Honors section of a class, when there is no guarantee that the work is at a higher or more challenging level than a regular class. Is a B in an Honors section truly better than an A in a regular section?

So colleges ask for unweighted GPA's to try an make an unbiased decision on an individual student's performance rather than on the weight of an honors or GT distinction. Additionally, each school has a different weighting system. Colleges cannot be expected to fully up to date on what thousands and hundreds of thousands of schools base their weighting criteria on.

The transcripts high schools provide vary - many list both a weighted GPA and an unweighted GPA on the transcripts. Many list only a GPA without indication of weighting. I know our university has it's own systen for producing an unweighted GPA when one is not provided.

I do not know which is used for scholarship determinations, but I think it is an either or with class rank and GPA.

I don't know if I'm being clear, and if not, I apologize. I'm trying to do five things at once, I'm covering the phones as well, and I feel like shit, so I haven't been editing my posts much.

travis2
02-07-2006, 02:37 PM
And a weighted GPA doesn't always give an accurate indicator of a student's ability to perform in the classroom. There is raging debate in the collegiate academic community about whether or not a student should be rewarded simply by being in an Honors section of a class, when there is no guarantee that the work is at a higher or more challenging level than a regular class. Is a B in an Honors section truly better than an A in a regular section?

That's a fair question. But the assumption that a B in Honors is better than an A in regular is, in my humble, non-college-admin-biased-or-educated opinion, less dangerous (and certainly less punitive) than the assumption that the above mentioned honors B is not better than the regular A. (Does that make sense?)

So colleges ask for unweighted GPA's to try an make an unbiased decision on an individual student's performance rather than on the weight of an honors or GT distinction. Additionally, each school has a different weighting system. Colleges cannot be expected to fully up to date on what thousands and hundreds of thousands of schools base their weighting criteria on.

Not sure I would call that "unbiased". More accurate in my mind to call it "differently biased". I don't doubt that the dilemma is a difficult one, and I don't have what I would consider a good solution to it.

I don't know if I'm being clear, and if not, I apologize. I'm trying to do five things at once, I'm covering the phones as well, and I feel like shit, so I haven't been editing my posts much.

You're fine...I understand what you are saying (at least I think I do). And I understand that some sort of decision must be made. I'm just not convinced that completely throwing out weighted GPAs is the answer.

Kori Ellis
02-07-2006, 02:47 PM
When I look around on the websites of most major colleges, all of them I see still use weighted GPA's for admissions. Perhaps easjer's college is more the exception than the norm.

easjer
02-07-2006, 02:47 PM
I don't think it's thrown out entirely - just not added into the numbers, as it were.

I know for instance that we have an informal power ranking of schools in the area. We know how they perform and how their students perform when they get here. We know that a B at X private school is worth twice as much as an A from Y private school because the curriculum at one is a rigorous education in classics with a solid foundation whereas the other is a diploma factory that is afraid of offending parents by giving their kids bad grades, and the kids bomb out of college in the first year 90% of the time. It doesn't mean we wouldn't admit them -that's based on individual merit and a good example of why we require an academic writing sample before making a decision.

But again, I'm most familiar with a particualr subset of students and looking for particular things that most college admissions counselors wouldn't give a shit about. If your child is on an AP track, then they are more likely to be doing well in school in general and very likely to get to college and do well. And if he or she is a good student, then they'll be fine when they get to school. Take me with a big grain of salt. Most of our students have AP credit or dual credit, and most of our students are excellent intelligent kids who do well and go on to do well in life.

2Blonde
02-07-2006, 02:54 PM
This is the powerpoint presentation we were given given that tells how the classes are weighted and the transcripts will report it at Reagan.
http://www.neisd.net/bush/Rank%20in%20Class%20Parents.ppt
It's pretty self explanatory and easy to understand and expressses both weighted and non weighted grades.

spurjur
02-07-2006, 02:55 PM
Yes, it is in Mico and is about 10 miles from 1604/Culebra.

I am building off of 1604 and Potranco (actually Grosenbacher). Its Medina Valley District and I am wondering if there will be new schools closer to Potranco than Medina Valley in the next few years.

travis2
02-07-2006, 03:03 PM
Take me with a big grain of salt.

Ooooooooh...kinky! But don't you think your hubby would take issue?

:lol

(sorry...they just come out sometimes...I couldn't resist...)

travis2
02-07-2006, 03:13 PM
This is the powerpoint presentation we were given given that tells how the classes are weighted and the transcripts will report it at Reagan.
http://www.neisd.net/bush/Rank%20in%20Class%20Parents.ppt
It's pretty self explanatory and easy to understand and expressses both weighted and non weighted grades.

We saw a similar PPT presentation (not this one, though) during Freshman orientation at Churchill last year (for my younger daughter). Neither Jackson nor Churchill has a link to this or a similar presentation.

easjer
02-07-2006, 03:20 PM
:lol @ travis.

Shelly
02-07-2006, 03:40 PM
I am building off of 1604 and Potranco (actually Grosenbacher). Its Medina Valley District and I am wondering if there will be new schools closer to Potranco than Medina Valley in the next few years.

I would think so. Where we bought, my kids would go to Castroville for for MS and HS and that's 20 miles away. We won't be building for a few years, though.

spurjur
02-08-2006, 12:31 PM
I would think so. Where we bought, my kids would go to Castroville for for MS and HS and that's 20 miles away. We won't be building for a few years, though.

WELL, I AM NOT PLANNING ON HAVING KIDS ANY TIME SOON UNLESS SOMETHING CRAZY HAPPENS, HOWEVER, I AM JUST CURIOUS BECAUSE FROM WHERE I WILL BE BUILDING, ITS LIKE A 10 15 MINUTE DRIVE TO GET TO THOSE SCHOOLS.

spurs_fan_in_exile
02-08-2006, 01:09 PM
I know it's been a "few" years ... and I went to Roosevelt .... but I love what they've done to MacArthur (where my kids will go). :)

OK, I realize I'm a year and a half late on this but I just read this thread and I couldn't pass this up. My dad was the AP (assistant principal) at MacArthur who had to oversee that whole overhaul and somehow turn a high school into a construction site while still holding classes there. He retired last year about 20+ years there and rumor has it they might name a building after him. Lord knows he deserves it. So if your kids ever have class in the Amedee "Cookie" Richard building be sure to let me know.

SpursWoman
02-08-2006, 05:17 PM
That's awesome! I hope they do it. I still can't believe the difference every time I drive by there. :)

easjer
02-08-2006, 05:45 PM
And that's Ree-shard, not Ritch-erd, just FYI.

Of course, my last name is different. . . :lol

Buddy Holly
03-15-2006, 04:07 AM
They're planning to build another high school off Potranco near Talley Rd.

TDMVPDPOY
03-15-2006, 07:39 AM
I had enrolment today, went to enrol into 3 subjects, stupid curry biatch didnt know what she was doin as my transcript wasnt save on the database and she had to refill the marks and missed out on one of the electives i got exempted. I only have 5 subs left, but she fucked it up and it only shows 6 subs left, i wonder if the person that updates the records will realise this or else i have to go tell them another day. Cause i dont wanna do an extra subject when i dont have to.

Seriously i tried to fit 2 subs into one day, and the curry advisor told me u will missed out on one of the subs lectures, and im like, "so what" i want to be in this teachers class cose of the credibility of what they teach, i didnt wanna change classes to go into another class with a shit teacher. Nobody goes to lectures anyway at my uni, so i got fed up with talkin to this lady, so i told her fine, just put me in this crap class and lets get this all done.

I really hate this enrolment shit, takes like 5 hours to go through the process, they made me wait 1hr to talk to sum lady to see if im eligible to do less subjects, wheither im local or international student. It was only a 2min talk and they made me wait 1hr for no reason.

I had to vent!.

AU$4635 DOWN THE DRAIN!