PDA

View Full Version : Artest trade to Sactown back on

SilverPlayer
01-25-2006, 04:36 PM
CBS 13 (http://cbs13.com/)

adidas11
01-25-2006, 04:54 PM
This was expected. Artest never truly closed the door on this deal, and Greg Anthony Tim Legler mentioned last night that they thought talks would resume today as well

FromWayDowntown
01-25-2006, 05:02 PM
If I'm Sacramento, I want a third team or I'm dealing Peja elsewhere. If I'm the Kings I want no part of an Artest backtrack from the original position, which was likely his sincere view. Why deal Peja to get a guy who's already told you that he doesn't want to be with your team in your town?

baseline bum
01-25-2006, 05:05 PM
Haha... man, I love to see Sacramento go down in flames after all the crying they and their fans have done since 2002! :lmao

Peter
01-25-2006, 05:05 PM
Whatever happens, I hope Artest does not end up with the LA Bryants. Say what Spurs fans will, but Jackson has shown an ability to maximize the value of crackheads on his team (Rodman) or minimize their destructiveness (Rider).

SilverPlayer
01-25-2006, 05:10 PM
My gut has always said he might end up with the Wolves...don't know why, but I think they could use him.

Obstructed_View
01-25-2006, 05:25 PM
This was expected. Artest never truly closed the door on this deal, and Greg Anthony Tim Legler mentioned last night that they thought talks would resume today as well
The statement his agent read sounded pretty much like "I won't report if you trade me there." If I were a Maloof, I'd be sending flowers to Peja.

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-25-2006, 05:28 PM
Sac might try to deal Artest again, who knows.

Peja had already said he's leaving after this season so it's not like Sacramento is risking that much.

They were lottery bound anyway, but now they have a chance to turn this season around if Artest can stay sane and contribute.

I think this is a good move by Sactown.

Brutalis
01-25-2006, 05:31 PM
Haha... man, I love to see Sacramento go down in flames after all the crying they and their fans have done since 2002! :lmao
The crying was much but they did get screwed out of the WCFs that year.

Horry For 3!
01-25-2006, 07:02 PM
Deal is done. The NBA approved it.

Artest = Kings
Peja = Pacers

whottt
01-25-2006, 07:29 PM
Webber complained about being traded to Sacramento originally as well...then last year they had to drag him kicking and screaming from the place...so I don't think Artest's comments should be set in stone...and I doubt the Maloofs are worried too much...been there done that.

T Park
01-25-2006, 07:31 PM
I thought Artest said he didn't want to go?

What changed?

ShoogarBear
01-25-2006, 07:31 PM
Of course, the Maloofs are rumored to be looking at Las Vegas, too.

aaronstampler
01-25-2006, 07:40 PM
there, but for the grace of god, go we.

ducks
01-25-2006, 07:42 PM
breaking news artest is going to the pistons

pacers would not trade him to the east but now that he is not a pacer pacers can not control where he goes

a joke people

exstatic
01-25-2006, 07:43 PM
I thought Artest said he didn't want to go?

What changed?

I think Indy and the NBA brought talk to the table of a long suspension without pay for conduct unbecoming (refusing to report). The backtracking had already started late yesterday, so this wasn't a big surprise to me. The Kings may try to re-trade him, or not. They have about a month, and there were other interested parties. They may be able to unload some talent/picks from the Clips.

ducks
01-25-2006, 07:44 PM
pacers would not trade him to the east
but kings would be willing to
more teams could get him now

Horry For 3!
01-25-2006, 07:48 PM
So that means Artest will be with the Kings for the game Friday I believe....if not, Sunday for sure.

ducks
01-25-2006, 07:49 PM
I would laugh now if artest does not pass his physical

exstatic
01-25-2006, 07:51 PM
I would laugh now if artest does not pass his physical
I don't think the brain is part of it, so he should be fine. ;)

AFE7FATMAN
01-25-2006, 07:54 PM
:lol :lol :lol ^^^^^

boutons_
01-26-2006, 01:06 PM
In Artest, Sacramento Gets A King-Size Nuisance

By Michael Wilbon
Thursday, January 26, 2006; E01

No way would I have Ron Artest on my team. I wouldn't want him at practice, wouldn't want him in the dressing room, wouldn't want him in town. The Sacramento Kings are crazy for taking him in. Artest is poison, probably worse than T.O., and that's saying something.

Right now, Artest will say all the right things. He'll go to Sacramento, bare his soul to the local media, pledge to the owners and coaches that he'll play as hard as humanly possible, tell everybody how much he's learned from all the drama he's brought on himself the last three or four years and how it'll be different from now on. For several weeks he'll practice like nobody's ever practiced. He'll probably record a couple of triple-doubles. He might lift the entire team for several weeks, make you think he is worthy of being a first-team all-star, a player the powers-that-be can build around since he's only 26 years old. He'll seduce the good folks of Sacramento, make them think he's just what they need, then . . .

Boom! Ron Artest will do a 180. He'll flip, he'll flop, he'll disrupt the whole program. He'll go to his coach, Rick Adelman -- talk about a mismatch -- and ask for time off to promote his newest girl group. Or he'll go to Circuit City and apply for a part-time job so that he can get the discount on the newest electronic products. He'll change his mind on wanting to practice hard. He won't run the play called in the huddle because he'll just forget the play or failed to listen to the coach during the timeout.

http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smilol.gifhttp://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smilol.gifhttp://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smilol.gifhttp://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smilol.gif

We pretty much know that Artest is going to wear out his welcome, and probably quickly, because we've seen it already . . . in his 2 1/2 seasons with the Bulls and his 4 1/2 seasons with the Indiana Pacers. We've even seen new evidence of Artest's lunacy within the last week or so. He and his agent actually told the Kings that Artest would be happy to come to Sacramento. So why, after the trade was consummated on Tuesday, did Artest then say he would be unhappy in Sacramento?

Because that's what Artest does. Every day. A day or so after demanding the Pacers trade him, Artest took it back, said he wanted to stay in Indianapolis. One day it's, "Yeah baby, let's do Sacramento." And the next it's, "Sacramento? Why would I want to go there?"

He misses games and alienates teammates. Jermaine O'Neal, the Pacers' best player, has hated being Artest's teammate for most of the last two seasons. Artest broke Michael Jordan's ribs during a pickup games a few years ago. Depending on his mood, Artest is somewhere between a nuisance and completely disruptive. And nobody ever wins with a player of consequence who is so disruptive.

Artest isn't just a clown, like Dennis Rodman was a clown. Artest is trouble and he's troubled. And if your basketball team comes to depend on him, it's in trouble, too.

Just look at the Pacers. Thought to be a contender when the season began, the Pacers are 21-20, having lost six of their last eight games. They've lost three straight games by 10 points or more, and lost by 30 to the Cavaliers on Tuesday. Pacers bosses Donnie Walsh and Larry Bird say the Artest trade saga is no excuse for Indiana's recent slide.

Okay, it's not an excuse, it's a fact. Artest sabotaged the team. He has missed 100 of the last 123 regular season Pacers games. So, yes, if you're the Pacers you had to get rid of Artest. But it shouldn't have taken this long, not 40 days. The Pacers could have had Sacramento's Peja Stojakovic 10 days into this mini-drama.

And on the other side of this issue, why are the Kings doing this?

Because they're desperate. They're taking on Artest because the Kings are the only show in Sacramento, and the show has fallen on hard times. The freewheeling Kings who passed so beautifully and scored 100-plus every night and captivated traditional NBA fans because they played such wonderfully choreographed team basketball . . . that team died when the Kings traded Chris Webber last year. Webber, Vlade Divac, Bobby Jackson, Hedo Turkoglu, Doug Christie, Peja . . . they're all gone now, except Mike Bibby. They were cheated out of a championship in 2002, when the refs gave a playoff game to the Lakers, and it's never been the same.

Peja turned into a sulk, and with a year left on his contract the Kings wanted something for their former all-star, somebody who might be able to fill the seats while the team sits in last place in the Pacific Division. And because Artest has greatness in him some nights, and always is an attraction, the Maloof brothers, who own the team, are betting Artest can be their man. Look, the Maloofs are Vegas guys, so they're largely unafraid of a dice roll. The Maloofs also had better be ready to keep a good therapist on retainer.

http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smilol.gifhttp://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smilol.gifhttp://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smilol.gifhttp://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smilol.gif

From here, I can't see the upside for Sacramento. The Pacers, however, ought to get some immediate bounce out of this. Stojakovic had grown stale in Sacramento and turned into a one-dimensional, jump-shooting whiner who proved he needs to be the third- or fourth-most important guy on a team to be productive in any meaningful way. He has none of Artest's toughness or defensive prowess or all-court savvy. But at least he'd rather be in uniform than producing music or selling flat-screens to get the discount.

The most relieved person in all of this might be NBA Commissioner David Stern, who must be tired of guys telling the league where they are, and are not, willing to play. Last year it was Jimmy Jackson and Alonzo Mourning who were willing to sit, without pay, until they could join a team to their liking. Artest was able to get away with that for one day, Tuesday, when it appeared the deal was going to fall apart. But when Walsh told Artest the Pacers would simply let him sit without pay for the rest of this season, Artest changed his tune.

Artest has already missed one season of salary. He's not Mourning, who had $100 million banked when he decided to sit last season until an acceptable suitor (Miami) came calling. Artest can't afford to miss a year's salary for a second straight season. What, he was going to wait until the Spurs or Pistons came calling?

And as skewed as Artest's thinking often is, he thought this one through pretty well and boarded a plane to join his new teammates, the ones who have no idea that sooner or later their world is going to be turned upside down.

© 2006 The Washington Post Company

clubalien
01-26-2006, 06:08 PM
man if only i had 100million and could wait for which nba team wanted me