PDA

View Full Version : Triple-double duo: Robertson, James two of a kind

ducks
01-25-2006, 08:06 PM
Triple-double duo: Robertson, James two of a kind
Triple-double duo: Robertson, James two of a kind

By TOM WITHERS, AP Sports Writer
January 25, 2006

CLEVELAND (AP) -- LeBron James slipped inside the semicircle of onlookers and finally met the man whose name he first learned in record books, and whose all-around game set the standard for NBA excellence.

"Oscar Robertson," said the Big O, extending his powerful right hand.

ADVERTISEMENT

"LeBron James," the Cavaliers star responded in a sweet, though somewhat awkward public moment.

On Tuesday night, old school and new school were finally in session together as Robertson, Mr. Triple-Double himself, spent a few minutes with James, the 21-year-old who could one day equal Robertson's astounding feat of averaging a triple-double for an entire season.

In 1961-62, his second season as a pro, Robertson averaged 30.8 points, 12.5 rebounds and 11.4 assists. But back then, before 3-second violations or 3-pointers were the norm, numbers were, well, just numbers.

So for nearly two decades, Robertson's statistical achievement went unrecognized.

"I didn't really know it then," Robertson said, "and the NBA didn't until they thought what Magic (Johnson) did was such a great story they went back in the archives and found out, 'Oh, by the way, there was a guy named Oscar Robertson that did it long before he did.' I guess it surprised them."

These days, the 67-year-old Robertson points out, it's much easier to record a triple-double.

"Every time you score it's an assist now," said Robertson, who had 181 career triple-doubles. "But when I played you had to be going to the basket on the dribble. So it's easy to get the assists, but the rebounds are the toughest things to get night in and night out."

Robertson made it all look easy. So does James, who is often compared to the 12-time All-Star.

As a rookie, James joined Robertson and Michael Jordan as the only players to average 25 points, five rebounds and five assists. Last season, he became the fourth -- Robertson, Jordan and John Havlicek are the others -- to average 25 points, seven rebounds and seven assists.

His scoring is up this season, but so is the Cavaliers' win total.

Before watching James easily get 23 points, eight assists and seven rebounds Tuesday night, Robertson had only seem him play once before in person.

"All-Star game," said the gray-haired and physically fit Robertson. "Those things are a joke."

Robertson's tone, though, is very serious when speaking of James' on-court skills and immense potential.

"LeBron is a great talent, no doubt about that," he said. "But a great talent needs a supporting cast. The last guy to average 50 points was Wilt Chamberlain (1961-62), but they only won 20-some games that year."

Actually, the Philadelphia Warriors won 49. But Robertson's observation is noted in an era when multimillionaire players take more pride in their personal statistics and successes than their team's record.

Robertson couldn't have imagined keeping stats.

"I didn't know they (triple-doubles) existed, to be honest," he said. "I was just playing basketball. I think what's happening now, is that everything is a stat. You have a stat on turnover ratios, which really means nothing."

During the few moments Robertson and James spent together outside the Cavaliers' locker room, it became clear they share more than the knack for stuffing box scores full of big, round numbers.

Simply, they are winners, willing to do whatever necessary to help their team come out on top.

When asked about Kobe Bryant's recent 81-point performance, James' reply made Robertson smile like a proud grandfather.

"It's unbelievable," James said, "but the key part about it is that he got the win."

Robertson later referred to the James' point while making one of his own.

"As LeBron said, what really matters is whether you win the game or not," Robertson said. "It sounds good to hear that so and so is averaging 20 rebounds a game, but did he get them when it counts?

"I played with a lot of guys who got a lot of rebounds when it didn't matter."

With Robertson sitting courtside, James flirted with his seventh career triple-double before easing back in Cleveland's 96-66 win. Earlier, while rubbing shoulders with the Hall of Famer, James was asked if he could match Robertson's triple-double season.

"Uh," James said. "I don't think so."

Robertson cut him off.

"I can answer that. You can do it," he said. "But the real key are the rebounds, that's what's going to get you the triple-double."

"You're right," James nodded.

Yet another assist for the Big O.

oscar>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>james

Brutalis
01-25-2006, 08:15 PM
The big O.