PDA

View Full Version : Emily's Reasons Why Not

Spurminator
01-26-2006, 06:10 PM
Sort of old news, but cancelled after one (1) show?

:lol

Heather Graham needs to quit messing around and get into the Cinemax Late Night movie industry where "actresses" of her calibur belong...

http://www.tv.com/tracking/viewer.html&ref_id=33485&tid=85601&ref_type=101

ABC Offers Reasons for 'Emily's' Departure
By Rick Porter
Saturday, January 21, 2006
04:27 PM PT

ABC employed an unusually quick hook with its midseason comedy "Emily's Reasons Why Not," pulling the plug after just one week. Yet to hear programming chief Steve McPherson tell it, the decision wasn't impulsive.
"Creatively we just did not get the show where it needed to be," McPherson told reporters Saturday (Jan. 21) at the Television Critics Association press tour. "All of us tried really hard -- producers, network, studio -- but it just never got on track."

"Emily's Reasons," which stars Heather Graham as a self-help publisher with a poor romantic track record, drew about 6.2 million viewers to its Jan. 9 premiere. ABC pulled the show after that and has shut down production after six episodes.

The move was partly based on the fact that competition in its Monday-night timeslot was about to increase with the return of "24" to FOX. McPherson also says "we needed to make a quick change" to protect "The Bachelor," which he believes has the potential to grow its audience for the remainder of its run.

"You have to kind of measure your patience based on how you believe in the creative, and there we felt like, unfortunately, it was not going to get better," he says.

"Emily's" Monday companion, "Jake in Progress," also was pulled after one week, but McPherson holds out hope that he'll be able to bring the show back later in the season. "I have a crush on John Stamos," he jokes about "Jake's" star.

"You know what? I really believe in that show," McPherson says. "It's the tough thing about this business. You've got to go with your gut and just love the stuff you do and be passionate about it, and try to find a place for it to work.

"At some point, obviously, if it doesn't work, it doesn't work. But we still would really like to try to find a place for it to give it one more last shot. If it doesn't go there, so be it."

Just when that might be, McPherson isn't saying. He says he's waiting to see how other networks schedule the remainder of their midseason shows -- presumably, after the Winter Olympics end in late February -- before he makes announcements for ABC.

In addition to the possible return of "Jake in Progress," ABC also has veteran comedy "Less Than Perfect" in reserve, along with new shows "Sons & Daughters," "What About Brian," "The Evidence" and "The Miracle Workers."

N.Y. Johnny
01-26-2006, 11:10 PM
This Is What Came To Mind When I Saw A Preview! (http://www.bmets.com/sounds/carCrash.wav)

What a brilliant program.

CharlieMac
01-28-2006, 10:21 AM
That John Stamos show wasn't that bad. It wasn't that good either. Either way. if According to Jim and Freddie can make it, I don't see why these shows can't.

1Parker1
01-28-2006, 11:08 AM
I love According to Jim and Freddie! :lol

The John Stamos and Emily show looked really stupid though.

Sonia_TX
01-28-2006, 12:27 PM
I saw the Emily show and thought it was funny. When the John Stamos show came out I couldn't sit through 5 minutes before I changed it. That show was horrible.

I love Freddie too, 1Parker1! I haven't seen Jim in a while though but I do like that show.

1Parker1
01-28-2006, 01:34 PM
I saw the Emily show and thought it was funny. When the John Stamos show came out I couldn't sit through 5 minutes before I changed it. That show was horrible.

I love Freddie too, 1Parker1! I haven't seen Jim in a while though but I do like that show.

I know! Freddie is a suprisingly funny show! I love when the grandmother talks crap about everyone in Spanish and they have the little subtitles at the bottom interpreting what she's saying. :lol

Oh and my crush on Freddie Prinze Jr. is back! :oops