PDA

View Full Version : I find myself rooting for the Pistons

Banks91
01-27-2006, 02:36 PM
Don't get me wrong, the spurs are my team, but lately i've actually been happy when they win. And here's why.

I don't know about ya'll, but i've come to believe we won't catch them in the standings for homecourt. Personally, i like all this 70win talk about the pistons and if their comparable to that bulls team.

I believe we can, and will beat the pistons, so it can't but help enhance the reputation of the spurs when we beat a team that is quickly becoming considered one of the best teams in quite a while.

When people look back on the spurs 10-15 years later, i want people to say look how great that team was, look at the teams they had to beat.
The better the competion you beat, the better you look down the line.

I mean, look at the 99spurs team, people are still talkin about how that might be the weakest championship team in a long time.

sa_butta
01-27-2006, 02:51 PM
The season is only half over, it is still possible to catch them. Anything can happen and I definitely will not be rooting for them.

mavsfan1000
01-27-2006, 03:00 PM
The pistons are greater than the spurs. If both teams are healthy than the pistons beat the spurs. Hell maybe Dallas or Phoenix could beat them.

Extra Stout
01-27-2006, 03:05 PM
The pistons are greater than the spurs. If both teams are healthy than the pistons beat the spurs. Hell maybe Dallas or Phoenix could beat them.
Keep dreaming. If the Spurs are healthy, Dallas is no match this year.

austinfan
01-27-2006, 03:11 PM

There's no way that any team--including the Pistons the way they are playing right now--beats a completely healthy Spurs team. Tim was playing on two bum ankles last year, and literally hauled the team on his back in that final quarter of Game 7. We haven't really seen him fully healthy this year, and he's still posting double-doubles almost every game. The Spurs with a completely healthy Duncan would be a scary thing for any team to face in the playoffs.

SlasherX
01-27-2006, 03:12 PM
Theres no way in hell Spurs gonna beat pistons if pistons have Home court Advantage.

pache100
01-27-2006, 03:12 PM
If I were going to "root for" any other team than the Spurs, the Pistons would be it. I have been a fan of the team for several years. I determine whether or not I like a team by how many individual players I like and how much I like them, whether I respect the way they play together, and whether or not I like their coach. I like Prince, B Wallace, Rip, and Chauncey...and I like Flip, therefore, I like the Pistons. Another example is...since his trash talking about Manu, I can't stand George Karl (I used to like and respect him), I'm over my fascination with Carmelo and I don't particularly like any of the other Denver players...therefore, I do not like the Nuggets.

FromWayDowntown
01-27-2006, 03:19 PM
I root for the Pistons when they're not playing the Spurs, because I respect that team and its players. They do things the right way and, as a team, they're fun to watch.

I wonder if the Spurs would be able to beat the Pistons this year, but I'm hopeful that they'll meet again, because I think the teams could have a mighty good rivalry that could well define the middle of this decade. It would be great to see the Spurs and Pistons in a Lakers/Celtics type of rivalry.

Brutalis
01-27-2006, 03:19 PM
Dream on! Dream on! Dream until ya dreams come trueeeee!

Amuseddaysleeper
01-27-2006, 03:22 PM
sorry but even a healthy SA team wont be nearly enough to beat the pistons. some of you need to quit with the ridiculous homerism and face facts. the spurs are playing listless this entire season. granted. 3 teams have had better records than the pistons at the 40 game mark and ended up losing more games in the 2nd half with a drop off (bulls were 37-3, then finished 35-7) i think its just the year for the pistons. duncan even healthy cant handle rasheed wallace alone anymore let alone both wallace brothers. bowen can put a lid on rip hamilton but chauncey is also playing out of his mind the same way manu was last season. parker's improvement is nice but detroit knows how to defend the lane which will make parker pretty much useless if he cant go for any lay ups. the only way we'll beat the pistons is if one of their starters gets injured. they are better than us in almost every statistical category

JamStone
01-27-2006, 03:40 PM
There's no way that any team--including the Pistons the way they are playing right now--beats a completely healthy Spurs team. Tim was playing on two bum ankles last year, and literally hauled the team on his back in that final quarter of Game 7. We haven't really seen him fully healthy this year, and he's still posting double-doubles almost every game. The Spurs with a completely healthy Duncan would be a scary thing for any team to face in the playoffs.

Is it really that impossible to fathom the idea that a healthy Pistons team might be better than a healthy Spurs team this year?

Spurminator
01-27-2006, 03:41 PM
I root for the Pistons when they're not playing the Spurs, because I respect that team and its players. They do things the right way and, as a team, they're fun to watch.

I wonder if the Spurs would be able to beat the Pistons this year, but I'm hopeful that they'll meet again, because I think the teams could have a mighty good rivalry that could well define the middle of this decade. It would be great to see the Spurs and Pistons in a Lakers/Celtics type of rivalry.

My sentiments exactly. If the Pistons beat the Spurs, my hat's off to them. They're a fantastic team this year. I definitely want the Spurs to come out on top in the end, but I wouldn't be heartbroken if the Spurs and Pistons met in the Finals four more times and the Pistons won twice...

himat
01-27-2006, 03:51 PM
sorry but even a healthy SA team wont be nearly enough to beat the pistons. some of you need to quit with the ridiculous homerism and face facts. the spurs are playing listless this entire season. granted. 3 teams have had better records than the pistons at the 40 game mark and ended up losing more games in the 2nd half with a drop off (bulls were 37-3, then finished 35-7) i think its just the year for the pistons. duncan even healthy cant handle rasheed wallace alone anymore let alone both wallace brothers. bowen can put a lid on rip hamilton but chauncey is also playing out of his mind the same way manu was last season. parker's improvement is nice but detroit knows how to defend the lane which will make parker pretty much useless if he cant go for any lay ups. the only way we'll beat the pistons is if one of their starters gets injured. they are better than us in almost every statistical category

last year pistons were the ones not trying hard. the whole team has worked there but off and spent many hours in practice right after they lost, now they're just dominating teams. what has got this team much better id flip's allowing of the jump shot. lb only let rip shoot and after bowen locked him larry tried forcing tay, CB, and sheed to post, and the spurs just doubled, and our offense just sucked. usually when a team keeps the other team to 81 points they win, but the pistons sucked offensively and wound up losing by 7. now everyone is involved and aren't worried about moving the ball for jumpers. as for rasheed he probably feels like he needs to redeem himself for the horry 3, but whatever the reason he's determined to get the pistons back on top, and to me he's been the best piston so far this season.

himat
01-27-2006, 03:53 PM
My sentiments exactly. If the Pistons beat the Spurs, my hat's off to them. They're a fantastic team this year. I definitely want the Spurs to come out on top in the end, but I wouldn't be heartbroken if the Spurs and Pistons met in the Finals four more times and the Pistons won twice...

people were very heartbroken the day after game 7, but they were not angry. many gave respect that the pistons lost to a fantastic team.

dougp
01-27-2006, 03:54 PM
With the minutes their starters play, they might have a Suns-esque burnout in the playoffs, or the finals. Hopefully by then something should be reduced and Tim will be atleast at 90% to get us through the Pistons with a 90% Manu and 100% Parker. As long as Parker and Manu penetrate and have successful games, we WILL beat the Pistons. Nazr and Duncan will need to step up on the rebounds, and Rasho either needs to fully man up to his size and punk BWallace or just stay on the bench for Horry and Nazr.

himat
01-27-2006, 03:54 PM

phoenix and dallas could but it's not likely to happen.

Marklar MM
01-27-2006, 03:57 PM
With the minutes their starters play, they might have a Suns-esque burnout in the playoffs, or the finals. Hopefully by then something should be reduced and Tim will be atleast at 90% to get us through the Pistons with a 90% Manu and 100% Parker. As long as Parker and Manu penetrate and have successful games, we WILL beat the Pistons. Nazr and Duncan will need to step up on the rebounds, and Rasho either needs to fully man up to his size and punk BWallace or just stay on the bench for Horry and Nazr.

They are basically playing the exact same amount as last year, a little more, or a little less. Your Spurs are in the same boat as we are with TP, Bowen, and an "INJURED" Duncan logging roughly the same time as our starters.

himat
01-27-2006, 03:59 PM

no i don't think they'll burn out. that stat is way too overrated, the pistons will not burn out i'll put money on that.

dougp
01-27-2006, 04:07 PM
no i don't think they'll burn out. that stat is way too overrated, the pistons will not burn out i'll put money on that.
At the beginning of the season, like 20-25 games in I swear I saw them logging between 39-42 minutes a game. They're all down to around 36 minutes a game, but the closest Spur is Duncan at 35 minutes a game.

Either way, the only difference between the Pistons this year and last year is a coach, we'll beat you with Saunders in the finals just as LB went down.

TwoHandJam
01-27-2006, 04:09 PM
The Pistons have not really encountered anything resembling adversity this year. When they encounter one or several injuries that force starters to miss games or play at a very reduced capacity, then we'll have a better idea of just how good they are.

Very few teams if any have have escaped the NBA season without significant injuries. I don't wish any specific ill on them but they're really flouting the law of averages right now.

DarkReign
01-27-2006, 04:27 PM
The Pistons trainer is well repsected trainer throughout sports.

When the God-awful Tigers were courting free agents, they actually thought about using Mike Abdenour as pitch line!

You want to know why the Pistons starters never get hurt?

Look no further.

Back on topic...

Pistons vs Spurs for the NBA Championship, round 2. This time, 4 out of 7 on our court. Because I know how much you peeps love Mason.

Seriously, I like SA...I really always have. Now that Detroit is finally where they always should have been, its only made me like SA more. A very healthy, genuine respect. With no exclusions or exceptions.

Good luck! Youll need it! :lol

dougp
01-27-2006, 04:30 PM

When the God-awful Tigers were courting free agents, they actually thought about using Mike Abdenour as pitch line!

Look no further.

Back on topic...

Pistons vs Spurs for the NBA Championship, round 2. This time, 4 out of 7 on our court. Because I know how much you peeps love Mason.

Seriously, I like SA...I really always have. Now that Detroit is finally where they always should have been, its only made me like SA more. A very healthy, genuine respect. With no exclusions or exceptions.

Check yourself and remember who the real defending champs are, :elephant

TwoHandJam
01-27-2006, 04:40 PM

Look no further.
Well, if the Pistons trainer can prevent injuries like a thigh bruise when driving the lane or stepping on a defender's outstretched foot or even plantar faciitis, then he is truly gifted. Let's just accept that the Pistons starters have been somewhat lucky vis-a-vis unavoidable injuries this year and leave it at that.

I'm not entirely pleased with the Spurs' performance this year but the fact that their record during this title hangover is better than last year's Pistons record during their hangover gives me some comfort.

Obstructed_View
01-27-2006, 04:43 PM
Considering how incredibly weak the eastern conference is, I think everyone is in for a surprise if the Spurs are healthy and playing well by the playoffs, even if the Pistons win 77 games. The more games the Pistons win, the less reason they shouldn't walk away with the championship. It'll be fun to see the Spurs in the finals as a huge underdog. How tight will the collective pucker be when the Spurs win one of the first two games in Detroit?

Spurminator
01-27-2006, 04:45 PM
I think the Pistons also benefit from the fact that they are such great shooters that they don't have to pound the lane to get the offense running, so there is less risk of injury in that respect.

leemajors
01-27-2006, 04:56 PM

Look no further.

Back on topic...

right back at ya, hope we meet again in june. we'll both need the luck. seems like the trainer is lucky himself, fixing sheed's pf with a risky move.

Marklar MM
01-27-2006, 05:03 PM
Considering how incredibly weak the eastern conference is, I think everyone is in for a surprise if the Spurs are healthy and playing well by the playoffs, even if the Pistons win 77 games. The more games the Pistons win, the less reason they shouldn't walk away with the championship. It'll be fun to see the Spurs in the finals as a huge underdog. How tight will the collective pucker be when the Spurs win one of the first two games in Detroit?

The Pistons(17-3) have a better record against the West then the Spurs(16-6) have against the East, so technically, it isn't bothering Detroit to much whether they play the East or West.

ObiwanGinobili
01-27-2006, 05:08 PM
yeah.
I'd have to agree with a few of the other posters here and say that if I was to "root for" a team besides the Spurs it would have to be the pistons.
how could you not? they are the flip side of a spurs coin. the same only different.
I like htem. I respect them.

but they are only #2 when it comes to my my overall fav team loyalty.

JamStone
01-27-2006, 05:08 PM
The more games the Pistons win, the less reason they shouldn't walk away with the championship.

Funny stuff.

Bruno
01-27-2006, 05:13 PM
What's the purpose of this thread ?

Obstructed_View
01-27-2006, 05:14 PM
The Pistons(17-3) have a better record against the West then the Spurs(16-6) have against the East.
Interesting factoid, except that it has nothing to do with my point, and surely you aren't trying to suggest that the east isn't abysmally weak.

The Spurs aren't playing well. The Pistons are playing great. If you want to be overconfident, that's fine. Ask the Suns fans who flocked here last year about that, if you can find any of them.

Obstructed_View
01-27-2006, 05:15 PM
Funny stuff.
You disagree? Shouldn't a 70 win team go 16-1 in the playoffs?

Marklar MM
01-27-2006, 05:16 PM
Interesting factoid, except that it has nothing to do with my point, and surely you aren't trying to suggest that the east isn't abysmally weak.

The Spurs aren't playing well. The Pistons are playing great. If you want to be overconfident, that's fine. Ask the Suns fans who flocked here last year about that, if you can find any of them.

I am just saying that the Spurs in the "stronger" conference have a worse record against the "abysmally weak" east then the Pistons.

:) Im just as overconfident as you Spurs fans are. And the Pistons haven't reached their max potential, just like the Spurs haven't.

MannyIsGod
01-27-2006, 05:27 PM
You disagree? Shouldn't a 70 win team go 16-1 in the playoffs?Considering the level of competition and intensity sky rocket in the playoffs, no.

Anyhow, I personally love the Pistons as a team. Chauncey Billups is one of my favorite players leauge wide, and Ben Wallace is right behind him. I'm not a huge Rasheed fan, but I think he and Duncan have always had tough games against each other going back to his Portland games.

Its a good matchup, and it makes for incredible basketball like we saw last year.

And there are some great Pistons fans that come here too.

Obstructed_View
01-27-2006, 05:29 PM
I am just saying that the Spurs in the "stronger" conference have a worse record against the "abysmally weak" east then the Pistons.

:) Im just as overconfident as you Spurs fans are. And the Pistons haven't reached their max potential, just like the Spurs haven't.
So what percentage of their potential would you say the Pistons are playing at to have one of the best records in NBA history? Let's be generous and say maybe 90? Now what percentage of their potential are the Spurs at to be a whole 3.5 games behind Detroit? Maybe 70? Time to start being honest with yourself.

Presuming both teams make it to the finals, and there is certainly no guarantee of that, the Pistons need HCA, and even that isn't assured. Seems to me the wheels fall off their season if they don't get HCA or if they do and have to go back to San Antonio tied.

mavsfan1000
01-27-2006, 05:57 PM
lmao at spurs fans complaining about Detroit being healthy. I thought you aren't supposed to make excuses.

Obstructed_View
01-27-2006, 06:04 PM
lmao at spurs fans complaining about Detroit being healthy. I thought you aren't supposed to make excuses.
I'm waiting for one example of someone "complaining" about the Pistons being healthy. You make excuses every other time you post, you of all people should be able to recognize one when you see it.

DDS4
01-27-2006, 06:05 PM

Good one. :lol Especially the third sentence.

ALVAREZ6
01-27-2006, 06:06 PM
I like the Pistons when they aren't playing against San Antonio, but at the same time, I don't want them to break the record of 70 wins because then it will look like a fluke that they didn't repeat.

austinfan
01-27-2006, 06:16 PM

It's not an excuse, it's just a fact that Duncan isn't 100% and it's affecting his play and having an overall effect on the team. That doesn't excuse his tendency to sloppy play, and plantar fascitis or no plantar fascitis, I agree that Tim needs to get his head straight. But it doesn't change the fact that if he were fully healthy, the Spurs would basically be a lot more intimidating than they are right now.

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-27-2006, 06:21 PM
Well, if the Pistons trainer can prevent injuries like a thigh bruise when driving the lane or stepping on a defender's outstretched foot or even plantar faciitis, then he is truly gifted. Let's just accept that the Pistons starters have been somewhat lucky vis-a-vis unavoidable injuries this year and leave it at that.

I'm not entirely pleased with the Spurs' performance this year but the fact that their record during this title hangover is better than last year's Pistons record during their hangover gives me some comfort.

Excellent post, THJ.

Your point about the 'title hangover' is a good one that folks in here need to remember.

Obstructed_View
01-27-2006, 06:22 PM
The fact is that the Spurs are 3 and a half games behind the Pistons. Who here doesn't think they are capable of catching them if they start to play to their capability?

Banks91
01-27-2006, 06:35 PM
I like the Pistons when they aren't playing against San Antonio, but at the same time, I don't want them to break the record of 70 wins because then it will look like a fluke that they didn't repeat.

that's the whole reason right there I started this thread, to make the point that i'd love for them to be a 70win team, be one of the best teams of all time, because then when we beat them(WE WILL BEAT THEM) it will be soo much sweeter.

And history would remember the spurs as one of the all-time great teams that beat another all-time great team.

himat
01-27-2006, 06:38 PM

rasheed wallace had plantar faciitis in his foot against indy, and chauncey busted his ankle against nj. the pistons have not had much big injuries, but it's not because of luck. if it was we wouldn't see anything lucky happen 3 or 3 times a row.

leemajors
01-27-2006, 06:40 PM
going through an nba season with no major injuries to key players is lucky. a trainer cannot control if a player happens to step on someone else's foot and turns an ankle. they can help speed recovery, but it's luck when something like that doesn't happen over the course of an 8 month, 82 + playoff game season.

himat
01-27-2006, 06:41 PM
that's the whole reason right there I started this thread, to make the point that i'd love for them to be a 70win team, be one of the best teams of all time, because then when we beat them(WE WILL BEAT THEM) it will be soo much sweeter.

And history would remember the spurs as one of the all-time great teams that beat another all-time great team.

i want half of what you said the 70 wins is great, but the loss to the spurs i don't want. seriously though i will be devastated if the pistons had such a remarkable season, but lost.

sa_butta
01-27-2006, 06:45 PM
i want half of what you said the 70 wins is great, but the loss to the spurs i don't want. seriously though i will be devastated if the pistons had such a remarkable season, but lost.Not to change the subject too much but look what happened to the Colts in football. Im not taking anything away from the Pistons, they are a great team and Im sure if the Spurs and Pistons meet again in the finals the trophy is up for grabs.

1Parker1
01-27-2006, 06:49 PM
Are the Pistons the only team in the NBA this season to have the same starting 5 play in ALL their games?

If it is true (and I believe it is), that is a very important fact to keep in mind when looking at records and level of play.

tlongII
01-27-2006, 06:49 PM
The Spurs should worry about beating the Mavs before thinking about the Pistons.

leemajors
01-27-2006, 06:51 PM
the same goes for either conference, looking ahead can get you in trouble. worry about the other conference when you know you will be playing them.

ALVAREZ6
01-27-2006, 07:00 PM

Yeah I knew what you meant, but will the Spurs really beat the Pistons???

Trainwreck2100
01-27-2006, 07:04 PM
Just like Kobe's 81 points, I could give a rat's ass whether or not the Pistons make 70 wins.

Guru of Nothing
01-27-2006, 08:57 PM
And there are some great Pistons fans that come here too.

Concur. The fact there are two dozen or so (my personal swag) Piston fans who are here just to discuss basketball (and often) is pretty amazing, and it's a credit to fans on both sides of the fence here; and Kori and LJ too for facilitating it all, of course.

JamStone
01-27-2006, 09:16 PM
going through an nba season with no major injuries to key players is lucky. a trainer cannot control if a player happens to step on someone else's foot and turns an ankle. they can help speed recovery, but it's luck when something like that doesn't happen over the course of an 8 month, 82 + playoff game season.

And, yet it has essentially happened for the Detroit Pistons the previous two years. Every team has its share of players with bumps and bruises. And, people might not realize it, but the Pistons have had injuries to core players each of the last two seasons, even in the playoffs. However, the Pistons haven't had a MAJOR injury to any of its core players over the last three seasons. And, yes, that's remarkable.

It's a credit to the players individually for keeping their bodies in top condition. It's a credit to the strength and conditioning coach (Arnie Kandor) and the Pistons trainer (Mike Abdenour). And, it's a credit to a whole lot of luck. Pistons fans who will deny the "good fortune" factor are being naive. Of course, luck has a lot to do with it.

But, as a Pistons fan, I'll just hope and pray the Pistons continue to remain healthy and without any serious injury throughout this season. While so-called "experts" and fans of other teams will say a major injury to one of the starters is inevitable and actually expect it to happen, it's complete conjecture and pure speculation for anyone to expect it to happen. And, those who are betting on that to happen in order for the Pistons not to continue the success they have had this season are absolutely REACHING for something to bring down or discredit the unbelievable season they have had so far.

If it were to happen, we'll deal with it, and maybe it will show how tough the Detroit Pistons really are.

Trainwreck2100
01-27-2006, 09:18 PM
^^You're jinxing them

mavsfan1000
01-27-2006, 09:53 PM
The Spurs should worry about beating the Mavs before thinking about the Pistons.
Exactly and the mavs haven't been completely healthy all year yet their record is the same as the spurs. All the players injured in Dallas include Howard, Daniels, Harris, Van Horn, and Stackhouse. It would be nice to be healthy once this year. Than we'll see how tough Dallas can be.

Mijo
01-27-2006, 10:01 PM
Don't get me wrong, I bleed silver and black but the homerism is overwhelming. I recall a couple of years ago when Spurs fan questioned Laker fan about turning on a switch come playoff time. Now look at us expecting a switch come the playoffs. If Detroit continues on they way they have, ain't no one stopping 'em.

Nephets
01-27-2006, 10:07 PM
I respect them, a lot, but for us to get the advantage in homecourt, they have to start losing, so, I root against them in hopes that we can obtain a better record. Still another half of a season to go!

malkool52
01-27-2006, 10:22 PM
I don't know if anyone is watching MEM@DET... but... the Piston's are INSANE.

Nephets
01-27-2006, 10:25 PM
Pistons win. Again. It's looking like they'll never lose another game this season.

FreshPrince22
01-27-2006, 10:26 PM
Chauncey Billups IS the MVP. Dude is out of control. 10-0 run on pull up treys in transition and a 4-point play in the last 3 minutes of the game. INSANE.

malkool52
01-27-2006, 10:28 PM
To be fair, he didn't complete the 4 point play :P.

FreshPrince22
01-27-2006, 10:31 PM
To be fair, he didn't complete the 4 point play :P.

technicallity
:spin

N.Y. Johnny
01-27-2006, 10:35 PM
Don't get me wrong, I bleed silver and black but the homerism is overwhelming. I recall a couple of years ago when Spurs fan questioned Laker fan about turning on a switch come playoff time. Now look at us expecting a switch come the playoffs. If Detroit continues on they way they have, ain't no one stopping 'em.

I was thinking the same thing too. Detroit looks fuckin amazing so far.

ABDENOUR POWER
01-27-2006, 10:39 PM
It's a credit to the strength and conditioning coach (Arnie Kandor) and the Pistons trainer (Mike Abdenour).

Why thank you. :spin

Marklar MM
01-27-2006, 10:43 PM

Just to be contradictive, the law of averages states that this Spurs team can not win back-to-back titles.

Peter
01-27-2006, 10:56 PM
I find myself rooting for the Spurs.

These championships have made Spurs fans soft.

ABDENOUR POWER
01-27-2006, 10:58 PM
36-5! What a sparkly record. :spin

Marklar MM
01-27-2006, 11:02 PM
http://www.thesitefights.com/team29a/GrowingSparkles/hatnieuw.gif

Peter
01-27-2006, 11:03 PM

The carrot before the stick.

http://img.timeinc.net/time/magazine/archive/covers/1961/1101610901_400.jpg

Larry isn't going anywhere.

Brutalis
01-28-2006, 12:07 AM
Imagine what the Spurs record would be if they were in the Atlantic division.

1Parker1
01-28-2006, 12:29 AM
Imagine what the Spurs record would be if they were in the Atlantic division.

What are you talking about? The Sixers would give them serious contention for the division title.

:lmao :lmao :lmao

jochhejaam
01-28-2006, 12:32 AM
Are the Pistons the only team in the NBA this season to have the same starting 5 play in ALL their games?

If it is true (and I believe it is), that is a very important fact to keep in mind when looking at records and level of play.

Yes, it's true;
Taken from ESPN today:
The Pistons are only the third team in 20 years to start the same five players in their first 41 games, joining the 1999-2000 Indiana Pacers and 2002-03 Golden State Warriors

braeden0613
01-28-2006, 12:34 AM
Ok im pretty sure that the Spurs play like this every year...raising doubts until they finally click at the end of the year...there is no way a healthy pistons team can beat a healthy spurs team, home court or not

MI21
01-28-2006, 12:53 AM
:lol @ Mav's fans.

You will never beat the Spurs in the playoffs as long as Tony Parker is alive and kicking.

Mijo
01-28-2006, 12:54 AM
Ok im pretty sure that the Spurs play like this every year...raising doubts until they finally click at the end of the year...there is no way a healthy pistons team can beat a healthy spurs team, home court or not I rest my case.

mavsfan1000
01-28-2006, 01:03 AM
:lol @ Mav's fans.

You will never beat the Spurs in the playoffs as long as Tony Parker is alive and kicking.
:lol in the playoffs this year when the spurs lose. I will be loving it.

Mijo
01-28-2006, 01:06 AM
in the playoffs this year when the spurs lose. I will be loving it. Dude, I'm worried about Detroit, talk some shit when you've been there.

JHoLove
01-28-2006, 01:40 AM
Yeah, spurs are good but give credit where credit's do.. mavs are majorly improved...yeah and the pistons are awfully good this year...

MI21
01-28-2006, 04:54 AM

2005 - Lost West Conf Semis
2004 - Lost West Conf 1st Rd
2003 - Lost West Conf Finals
2002 - Lost West Conf Semis
2001 - Lost West Conf Semis

Loving it.

SenorSpur
01-28-2006, 05:07 AM

One thing is for sure, we'll have kicked the shit out the Mavs by the time we reach the Finals.

SenorSpur
01-28-2006, 05:24 AM

You've gotta give Detroit their props on a unbelievable start so far. I tend to agree with you, they look unbeatable at this point. However, they are not unfallable. Everybody knows they have the best starting five in the league. However, they have a very weak bench. A fact that may come into play in a long-season.

Also, Phoenix looked like world-beaters last year too on their way to a 60-win season. However they got derailed. I realize they were a totally different and inferior team to these Pistons, but you get my point.

Detroit is doing what a great team should do. They're taking advanatage of the opportunity to showcase their greatness through the regular season.

Time will tell if Detroit has the stamina to bulldoze their way through the regular season, playoffs and Finals.

Marklar MM
01-28-2006, 09:18 AM
You've gotta give Detroit their props on a unbelievable start so far. I tend to agree with you, they look unbeatable at this point. However, they are not unfallable. Everybody knows they have the best starting five in the league. However, they have a very weak bench. A fact that may come into play in a long-season.

Also, Phoenix looked like world-beaters last year too on their way to a 60-win season. However they got derailed. I realize they were a totally different and inferior team to these Pistons, but you get my point.

Detroit is doing what a great should do. They're taking advanatage of the opportunity to showcase their greatness through the regular season.
Time will tell if Detroit has the stamina to bulldoze their way through the regular season, playoffs and Finals.

Our bench isn't as weak as everyone seems to think.

bonesinaz
01-28-2006, 09:56 AM

Look no further.
:rolleyes
This is just stupid. Any player can have an injury on any given day. The most common type of injury for an NBA player is an OVERUSE injury.
Every NBA who plays more than 10 minutes/game struggles with overuse injuries. The trainer can do almost nothing to prevent them. Even the most conditioned player will have these injuries. It is not a matter of if, it is a matter of when.

I will never root for the pistons as long as the Spurs are still playing.

bonesinaz
01-28-2006, 10:04 AM

Exactly, a trainer's role has more to do with care FOLLOWING an injury than prevention of one.

Rick Von Braun
01-28-2006, 10:06 AM
Concur. The fact there are two dozen or so (my personal swag) Piston fans who are here just to discuss basketball (and often) is pretty amazing, and it's a credit to fans on both sides of the fence here; and Kori and LJ too for facilitating it all, of course.
Sorry, I am coming very late to this thread but I would like to reemphasize what Guru said.

I think many of the Pistons fans that come here to discuss basketball make this a better place. Kudos to everyone.

emveepee
01-28-2006, 10:41 AM
Keep dreaming. If the Spurs are healthy, Dallas is no match this year.

ditto for the pistons :lol

Marklar MM
01-28-2006, 10:55 AM
ditto for the pistons :lol

Ditto for the Spurs :spin

JamStone
01-28-2006, 11:06 AM
I've already said that luck has had a lot to do with the Pistons' core players not having serious injuries the last three years. Yes, it's a lot about LUCK.

But, the training staff and strength and conditioning coach have definitely helped minimize injuries and even helped to prevent the escalation of injuries. Trainers can't prevent injuries, but they can seriously help minimize the effects of those injuries and even to a certain extent prevent serious injuries from escalating.

Last year when Rip Hamilton seriously sprained his ankle, he was out for 5 or 6 games. The same ankle injury to another player may have cost him 10-12 games. Tayshaun had a badly sprained ankle last year as well. He didn't miss any games. Ben played through bone spurs. The championships season, Rasheed played throughout the entire playoffs with plantar fasciitis. Antonio McDyess, who had been injury riddled the three years prior to coming to the Pistons, has been essentially injury free.

Now, you can tout all you want about the good fortune the Pistons' core players have had in terms of health. But, to deny that there is any connection with the training and strength and conditioning coaching staff and the players' own individual conditioning would be selling them short. Luck has a lot to do with it. But, it's not the only reason they've been relatively healthy.

FreshPrince22
01-28-2006, 12:07 PM
Our bench isn't as weak as everyone seems to think.

Exactly, the bench has been THE reason for this latest 10 game winning streak (outside of the Memphis game at least). They have been fantastic lately (Particularly Mo Evans, Delfino, and Dice). Once Delfino gets back from the Flu, and Lindsey comes back from the ankle injury, I think we've got one of the best benches in the league.

1Parker1
01-28-2006, 01:29 PM
McDyess has been huge for the Pistons. He should be in serious consideration for 6th man of the Year ( even though I know he probably won't get it...)

mavsfan1000
01-28-2006, 04:36 PM
Hunter is done. The guy can't shoot anymore and he has lost his intensity. Hunter coming back is irrelevant. Arrojo>Hunter now.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
01-28-2006, 05:07 PM
Hunter is done. The guy can't shoot anymore and he has lost his intensity. Hunter coming back is irrelevant. Arrojo>Hunter now.

Lost his intensity? First, what the hell does that even mean? Second, he comes in to play D, something which he does very well.

Getting Hunter back only helps the Pistons in the long run...

mavsfan1000
01-28-2006, 05:48 PM
Intensity means his defensive pressure isn't as high as it once was. I doubt he gets any minutes this year. He is Detroit's version of Darrell Armstrong. A third string point guard. He would only be used if Billups or Arrojo went down.

ABDENOUR POWER
01-28-2006, 06:17 PM
Intensity means his defensive pressure isn't as high as it once was. I doubt he gets any minutes this year. He is Detroit's version of Darrell Armstrong. A third string point guard. He would only be used if Billups or Arrojo went down.

Nah. He may not get huge minutes, but he will consistently get thrown at high scoring guards in an attempt to contain them.

Spurs rock
01-28-2006, 06:19 PM

Pistons? yes
Suns? maybe
Mavs? no chance in hell

NallhOnesTy
01-28-2006, 08:40 PM
I always root for the Spurs when they are not playing the Pistons. I have complete respect for how they play the game of basketball.

Plus, whenever i check the standings, I think to myself "The pistons must be ten games above any in the league." I am then surprised to see how close the Spurs and Mavericks are. If the Pistons weren't on this historical run to 70, the Spurs and Mavs would be getting much more respect.

Darth48076
01-28-2006, 11:27 PM

You say this knowing we have a FRESH Lyndsey Hunter and Dale Davis (who are waiting till the End of March to get ready for the Playoffs) two vets that been through the thick and then of the playoffs with Exp.

Unlike the SUns, the pistons been to 3 ECF and Two Finals in a row. Thats experience. Suns and the Mavs cant say that. THey dont have the experience yet. The pistons main concern is HCA, Even with this impressive record, we are only 5 games up on the spurs. Do you really think the pistons give a damn about that record?

Touche

SenorSpur
01-29-2006, 05:06 PM
You say this knowing we have a FRESH Lyndsey Hunter and Dale Davis (who are waiting till the End of March to get ready for the Playoffs) two vets that been through the thick and then of the playoffs with Exp.

Unlike the SUns, the pistons been to 3 ECF and Two Finals in a row. Thats experience. Suns and the Mavs cant say that. THey dont have the experience yet. The pistons main concern is HCA, Even with this impressive record, we are only 5 games up on the spurs. Do you really think the pistons give a damn about that record?

If you guys have to rely on contributions from both Dale and Lindsey, you'll be in big trouble.

Touche

Winnipeg_Spur
01-29-2006, 05:31 PM
The terrifying thing about the Pistons isn't just that they're (obviously) extremely good, it's that they match with the Spurs so well. Last year I thought that the Spurs were better than Detroit, but because they match up so well the series became virtually even. This year Detroit has to be considered the better team, add that to the fact that they match up with the Spurs so well and the Finals will be very tough this year (if, in fact it ends up as a rematch of last year).

mavsfan1000
01-29-2006, 05:34 PM
The spurs were not better last year. The pistons owned the spurs but somehow blew it. Ask Rasheed what happened? :lol

Marklar MM
01-29-2006, 05:36 PM
The spurs were not better last year. The pistons owned the spurs but somehow blew it. Ask Rasheed what happened? :lol

"Both teams played hard."

Winnipeg_Spur
01-29-2006, 05:42 PM
I think at some point in your life as a fan, you really have to come to terms with the fact that the better team is the team that won the game. Otherwise you'll end up like a Kings fan constantly talking about conspiracies, injuries and "real championships".

SenorSpur
01-29-2006, 05:50 PM

Suns owned the Mavs, Spurs owned the Suns...should I continue?

mavsfan1000
01-29-2006, 05:55 PM
Suns owned the Mavs, Spurs owned the Suns...should I continue?
The mavs own the pistons. the pistons own the spurs. Should I continue? :lol

NallhOnesTy
01-29-2006, 11:04 PM
Darko>God

FreshPrince22
01-29-2006, 11:04 PM
The mavs own the pistons.

Hard to call that on one game (even though the Mavs did pound them pretty good). Last year the Pistons blew out the Mavs in Dallas by 15, and lost at home by 7. Duplicate that last performance at the Palace on March 28th and I'll gladly say the Mavs "own" the Pistons this year.

SenorSpur
01-29-2006, 11:09 PM

One regular season win versus the Pistons does not a season make. However if the Spurs had the history of repeated playoff flameouts, like the Mavs, I guess I can understand why you're celebrating a meaningless regular season win over the 2005 Eastern Conference champs.

Fortunately for you and unfortunately for the Pistons, the Mavs will only face the Pistons during the regular season.

Sure, the Mavs will be formidable contenders this year. If it makes you feel more secure, go ahead "pump more sunshine up your skirt". :blah

Just don't expect anyone here to do the same.

NallhOnesTy
01-29-2006, 11:19 PM
Im gunna laugh when the Pistons go 77-5 then get swept by the Knicks in the 1st round

haha

ShoogarBear
01-29-2006, 11:19 PM
The terrifying thing about the Pistons isn't just that they're (obviously) extremely good, it's that they match with the Spurs so well. Bingo.

Last year no one was seriously worried about the Suns, even though they had HCA in the WCF. But going into the Finals, many posters here pointed out how well the Pistons matched up with the Spurs, even though the Pistons didn't look all that impressive in the ECF.

This year it's another story. They look like they're going to lay waste to the East.

FreshPrince22
01-29-2006, 11:20 PM
Im gunna laugh when the Pistons go 77-5 then get swept by the Knicks in the 1st round

haha

I'm gonna laugh when the Knicks land the first pick in the lottery, just to realize Isiah traded it to the Bulls :lol

NallhOnesTy
01-29-2006, 11:21 PM
I'm gonna laugh when the Knicks land the first pick in the lottery, just to realize Isiah traded it to the Bulls :lol
ohh foreal? did he trade it in the curry trade

thats hilarious

hahahah

Kairo
01-30-2006, 12:15 AM
The Pistons-Spurs hopefully will become the new Lakers-Celtics rivalry. Honestly, no team other than the Allas Mavericks or the Phoenix Suns has a chance in the Best, and the Miami Heat blew up their rosters, leaving itself to fight for second with the Cleveland Cavaliers in the Least. Living in Houston, I only bought tickets to two games: November 18 and March 18. These are the Pistons and Spurs games.

The Spurs are my second favorite team, yet I hate them with a passion. I root for the Spurs to lose enough games to guarantee us home court, which the Spurs have already done. I want Manu to come back healthy as well as my boy Lindsey Hunter. When the 2006/7/8/9/10/11/12 Finals come around, I will enjoy seeing our teams collide for the 2nd/3rd/4th/5th/6th/7th/8th straight year in the Finals.

Of course, the Pistons will win this year, just like we would have won last year if Hamilton would have passed to Tayshaun at the end of game five instead of missing a shot through Tony Parker's face. Seriously, even as a Detroit fan, where was the offensive foul? I know all you Spurs fans are shaking your heads saying "Excuses are for losers." Well, y'all are right. Darn y'all. Hopefully, we will take back what is ours after letting y'all borrow it for one final year. Pistons in six (losing game five on purpose so we can win the title in Detroit).

One more thing I have to say is that Parker, Ginobili, Billups, Hamilton, Wallace, Wallace, and Prince better be voted into the All-Star Game or else I will know that the other teams' coaches are a bunch of haters (except for Doc Rivers, who will vote for all five Pistons).

Really, I am just glad that the two best teams are in separate conferences. No more Portland/Sacramento versus Los Angeles Lakers NBA Finals one round early.

mavsfan1000
01-30-2006, 12:30 AM
Sorry the mavs have to interfere with the Piston-Spurs rivalry. Any knowledgeable fan would know that Dallas plays D now. I wouldn't be surprised if they will be in the top 5 by the end of the season on defense.

Supergirl
01-30-2006, 12:33 AM
It's a long season. As others have said, the law of averages would predict that the Pistons will not make it through 82 games without at least one of their starters going down with injury for a week or two. If it's Tayshaun, then I wouldn't expect it to be a disaster. If it's Chauncey, or Ben, I predict the Pistons lose most of the games.

Also, the longer the season goes on, the more chance there is for fatigue. Right now the Pistons are playing with a chip on their shoulders, and that takes a lot of energy. We'll see how things look come May.

bdubya
01-30-2006, 12:49 AM
It's a long season. As others have said, the law of averages would predict that the Pistons will not make it through 82 games without at least one of their starters going down with injury for a week or two.

The law of averages is BS. Statistically, a serious hurt to any random Piston down the stretch is the SAME as to any random Spur (or Heat, or Cavalier, or Mav). If the coin comes up heads four times in a row, the next toss is still 50/50. And the one thing our bench seems to lack lately is PT, so having a starter sit for a while might cost a few wins, but would help develop the bench for the REAL season...

Banks91
01-30-2006, 01:24 AM
YEAH, my first 100+ thread. Where's that pic of that device that lets you pat yourself on the back.

:smokin

JamStone
01-30-2006, 02:22 AM
Anyone have the phone number to this "law of averages" guy? He have a website? He seems to know a lot.

Law of averages would have also said an NBA player wouldn't win the League MVP to years in a row ... Tim proved that Mr. Law of averages wrong there.

Law of averages would also tell you that an NBA team shouldn't repeat as NBA champions. Yet five of the last eight teams did just that, including three three-peats, which the law of averages would have scoffed at.

Why should anyone pay attention to the law of averages when it seems he's wrong just as often as he is right?

And, please no more "fatigue" comments on the Pistons. It is one of the weakest arguments against the success of the Pistons. It carries no weight whatsoever.

FreshPrince22
01-30-2006, 02:28 AM
And, please no more "fatigue" comments on the Pistons. It is one of the weakest arguments against the success of the Pistons. It carries no weight whatsoever.

Exactly, the Pistons played more minutes per game last year, and the only "fatigue" that hurt them in the Finals was from having just played a grueling 7 games series.

HB22inSA
01-30-2006, 02:31 AM
It's hard not to root for a team that plays basketball as well as the Pistons.

What little I've seen of the Pistons this year (and almost equally as little of the Spurs), I'd have to say that Detroit is no fluke or peaking too soon or lucky or anything like that.

What I've seen from the Pistons is a high pick and pop by Billups and Wallace that works a great percentage of the time, especially down the stretch.

The Pistons will certainly get home court throughout this year's playoffs, and they will need it should they face the Spurs.

But a meeting between these two teams in the Finals won't go 7, itll be won in either 5 or 6 games, by who, I don't know.

Right now the Pistons look like they're unbeatable, but they're the same team that everyone played last year.

They've just been incredibly healthy and given a few more offensive "options" by the underrated Flip Saunders.

HB22inSA
01-30-2006, 02:33 AM
Exactly, the Pistons played more minutes per game last year, and the only "fatigue" that hurt them in the Finals was from having just played a grueling 7 games series.

Actually, Fresh, I thought that if the Pistons would have gotten just a few more days off they would have beaten the Spurs in last year's Finals.

leemajors
01-30-2006, 09:19 AM
maybe hb22, but with 5 days in between each game in the finals fatigue becomes much less of a factor. i think losing the first 2 games big is what made it such a good final. it certainly motivated the pistons

pache100
01-30-2006, 09:55 AM
sorry but even a healthy SA team wont be nearly enough to beat the pistons. some of you need to quit with the ridiculous homerism and face facts.

Some of us need to drop the pretense that they are Spurs "fans" when they obviously are not.

JamStone
01-30-2006, 10:05 AM
maybe hb22, but with 5 days in between each game in the finals fatigue becomes much less of a factor. i think losing the first 2 games big is what made it such a good final. it certainly motivated the pistons

There are 5 days in between each game in the finals???

Senator Joseph McCarthy
01-30-2006, 10:32 AM
All of you traitors that have identified yourselves on this thread are going on my list! Not only does Michigan share a border with Canadia (where some of the people speak French- the international language of Commiedom), but the Pistons rank second in the league in assists. Now as we all know "assists" are just another word for "sharing" which is just another word for "communism". For proof of this fact consider this, Steve Nash, a known Canadian leads the league in assists. The truth is staring us in the face America! Pistons fans are Commies, plain and simple.

WTFDetroit.com
01-30-2006, 11:00 AM
^^^ Wow

just, wow...

spurs_fan_in_exile
01-30-2006, 11:04 AM
cowboy me kr is the internet equivalent of Ben Wallace. What he lacks in polish and finesse he makes up for with energy and drive.

The Cougar
01-30-2006, 11:05 AM
cowboy me kr is the internet equivalent of Ben Wallace. What he lacks in polish and finesse he makes up for with energy and drive.

'cept he's like 8

Trainwreck2100
01-30-2006, 11:06 AM
^^^ Wow

just, wow...

He's Korean and may be using some kind of language translator.

theMUHMEshow
01-30-2006, 11:08 AM
What in the hell whas that guy talking about! :drunk

boutons_
01-30-2006, 11:11 AM
I think "suck" in Anlgo-Korean really means "fuck" :lol

TK1
01-30-2006, 11:26 AM
However, they have a very weak bench.

Nope.

Try again.

TK1
01-30-2006, 11:27 AM

Dude, the fact you don't even know how to spell Arroyo's name speaks volumes. Fact is, Lindsey still has possibly the best set of hands in the game, and no one defends the ball handler better.

I can't wait to see him back on the court. The guy is a tremendous asset to our team.

TK1
01-30-2006, 11:30 AM

Sorry to keep beating up on you, but holding on to one game throughout 82 isn't healthy. Damn straight, the Mavs beat the ever-loving crap out of the Pistons in that game. But look at the rest of the Pistons games and tell me whether or not you can only conclude that that game was a fluke.

Also, apparently the only team that owns the Pistons right now is the Jazz.

JamStone
01-30-2006, 11:39 AM
The Mavs kicked the shit out of the Pistons' collective butt. I think Mavs fan has every right to gloat about that win.

In many Spanish speaking cultures, Arrojo is an acceptable form of spelling of his name.

leemajors
01-30-2006, 12:10 PM
There are 5 days in between each game in the finals???

certainly not true, but there were way too many days off between too many games. i think the playoffs took almost 2 months. it's mostly because of the first round being best of 7 stead of 5, but it's still ridiculous and way too long. i understand stern needs to make all the advertisting money he can, but 2 months for playoffs is a long time.

DarkReign
01-30-2006, 12:25 PM
Dude, the fact you don't even know how to spell Arroyo's name speaks volumes. Fact is, Lindsey still has possibly the best set of hands in the game, and no one defends the ball handler better.

I can't wait to see him back on the court. The guy is a tremendous asset to our team.

I completely agree that Lindsey is going to be huge addition for the Pistons. No question in my mind.

I just take issue with the "best set of hands" comment. Dont get me wrong, Lindsey is an awesome defender. But he is a little older, a little slower (but, in his defense, alot smarter).

Best on the ball defender in the league....Bruce Bowen.

"Aw, I see how it is! Youre not a Piston fan!"

Bullshit. Rip Hamilton doesnt usually get the ball in the elbow to take a guy off the dribble. He runs off screens for a catch-n-shoot. Hes deadly with it. Yet Bowen basically owns him ('cept for one game this year).

What happened in last years finals? Bowen got put on Chauncey because he started heating up. Chauncey IS the kind of guy who takes people off the dribble with his strength and overall smoothness. What did Chauncey do with Bowen playing him close on the point?

Not a goddamn thing, if I remember correctly.

Bowen > Lindsey. I know Bowen isnt a young man either, but Lindsey has had serious ankle problems in his past. That would be the only reason why I say that. But then again, Im sure someone could argue that Bowen was a better defender in his day, than he is now.

The argument is endless.

TK1
01-30-2006, 12:56 PM
DarkReign, no argument w/Bowen. Still, if Lindsey is mentioned in the same sentence as Bowen, I certainly wouldn't label him as washed up.

TK1
01-30-2006, 12:59 PM
Also, in the spirit of camaraderie, I openly invite any and all quality Spurs (or Pistons) fans who frequent this board to pay a visit to the site in my sig.

I'm not attempting to steal anyone away from here, rather to encourage healthy debate in both forums. You Spurs fans seem like real good peeps, and would be welcomed at WTFD.

ETA: for some reason I don't see my sig in this post. See my post above for link.

TwoHandJam
01-30-2006, 01:53 PM
He's Korean and may be using some kind of language translator.
Either that or he's on PCP. Pick one.

nkdlunch
01-30-2006, 02:22 PM
Either that or he's on PCP. Pick one.

wow could it be that birdman has joined the forum?

mavsfan1000
01-30-2006, 04:09 PM
The pistons own the spurs though they won't be playing each other in June anyway so it won't matter.

leemajors
01-30-2006, 04:22 PM
neither will the mavs and pistons... OOOH NO I DIDN'T

himat
01-30-2006, 05:16 PM
i will hate if the pistons don't face the spurs in the finals. yeah every other opponent would be easier for the pistons (even the mavericks), but if the pistons make it back to the finals i want them to beat the spurs not any other team. i want the pistons to beat them with no bad calls or injuries so no one can make excuses like everyone did in 04 and 05. dirk pisses me off he played last years loss in the Western semi finals on Terry. Dirk always cracks come playoff time.

himat
01-30-2006, 05:17 PM
The pistons own the spurs though they won't be playing each other in June anyway so it won't matter.

where are you coming up with this crapp.

himat
01-30-2006, 05:19 PM
[QUOTE=TK1]Dude, the fact you don't even know how to spell Arroyo's name speaks volumes. Fact is, Lindsey still has possibly the best set of hands in the game, and no one defends the ball handler better.

I can't wait to see him back on the court. The guy is a tremendous asset to our team.[/QUOTThe pistons team will be great when lindsey comes back. We'll have a playmaking pg and a defensive stopper at the pg position of the bench. Delfino and Evans have done an excellent job off the bench for rip and tay. Dice is always excellent, and come playoff time Dale davis will also show his worth.

leemajors
01-30-2006, 05:19 PM
nonono himat, it was finley coming up short, that's why the mavs lost.

himat
01-30-2006, 05:20 PM
nonono himat, it was finley coming up short, that's why the mavs lost.

better hopw finley some how doesn't mess up the spurs then.