PDA

View Full Version : Duncan Out for Sat? And still shrinking...

Notorious H.O.P.
01-27-2006, 07:25 PM
Apparently Duncan might miss the T-Wolves game.

Even more interesting, he continues to shrink. Used to be listed at 7', then was relisted at 6'11". Apparently he is even shorter now.

Will Duncan miss Timberwolves game?
Tim Duncan did not practice Friday and might not play in the Spurs' home game Saturday against the Minnesota Timberwolves, Bob Ballou of KENS 5 Eyewitness News reported.

Manu Ginobili and Robert Horry, who have both been sidelined by injuries, could both return to action Saturday, Ballou reported.

Ginobili has been sidelined by a right ankle sprain. Horry has been out with a lower abdominal strain.

Duncan has not missed a game this season. He is averaging team highs of 20.0 points and 11.4 rebounds per game. He has been suffering from nagging foot problems this season.

Duncan, a 6-foot-1 forward/center, missed 16 games due to injury last season.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/specials/weblogs/courtside/archives/2006/01/will_duncan_mis.html

boutons_
01-27-2006, 07:26 PM
Chance for Rasho to payback his old team with a huge game.

ducks
01-27-2006, 07:28 PM
rasho does step up when duncan sits

manu also might play sat so would not be so bad
and who cares it is just the LOWLY WOlVES

Trainwreck2100
01-27-2006, 07:28 PM

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

jaffies
01-27-2006, 07:48 PM

December 15, 2005
Spurs @ Minnesota
Rasho's numbers:
4 pts
0 rebs
16:20 min

January 6, 2006
Minnesota @ Spurs
Rasho's Numbers:
2pts
3rebs
28:57 min

ALVAREZ6
01-27-2006, 07:52 PM
I hope Manu doesn't play...he needs to freakin recover. He better be more careful when he comes back.

phyzik
01-27-2006, 07:58 PM
I hope Manu doesn't play...he needs to freakin recover. He better be more careful when he comes back.

Carefull and Manu are not two works you can use together...

Kinda like Microsoft Works. :lol

angel_luv
01-27-2006, 08:09 PM
Go Spurs! Go Sho! :elephant

Carefull and Manu are not two works you can use together...

Kinda like Microsoft Works. :lol

hahaha :lol

Amuseddaysleeper
01-27-2006, 10:34 PM
the only thing of duncan's that have been shrinking lately are his balls

Kori Ellis
01-27-2006, 10:35 PM
the only thing of duncan's that have been shrinking lately are his balls

So you still don't believe he's hurt even though he got treatment again on his foot today, sat out of practice, and might not play tomorrow?

grjr
01-27-2006, 10:41 PM
Whatever is wrong he sure had a nice arc on his jumper against the Hornets.

boutons_
01-27-2006, 10:49 PM
If he won't play Saturday after 2 days rest, I figure his PF must be really sore Friday.

Tendons can be weird. Maybe it'll feel much better tomorrow.

I don't care how arc-y his jump shot is, Spurs aren't going anywhere with Tim imitating a "big Euro" outside shooter. If he doesn't have the mobility to play low-post offense and defense, Spurs are done.

Das Texan
01-27-2006, 10:53 PM
Can we have Oberto start in place of Duncan?

Peter
01-27-2006, 10:58 PM
Hopefully Rasho drops a 5 point 4 board effort on their ass.

Brutalis
01-27-2006, 11:16 PM
We're going to get owned without Duncan and Manu.

boutons_
01-28-2006, 12:06 AM
Spurs advantage is 2 days rest,
while Wolves will be on second of road B2B
(they won @Rockets.)

Brutalis
01-28-2006, 12:09 AM
Yeah but don't forget about the upgrade they have now in RD.

He is a big upgrade from Wally and after one game it already shows.

dbreiden83080
01-28-2006, 12:17 AM
Man this is bad i really hope Timmy's body is not breaking down on him and he gets healthy again this year.

ZStomp
01-28-2006, 12:31 AM
December 15, 2005
Spurs @ Minnesota
Rasho's numbers:
4 pts
0 rebs
16:20 min

January 6, 2006
Minnesota @ Spurs
Rasho's Numbers:
2pts
3rebs
28:57 min

Man that shit is horrible! :lmao :lmao

Amuseddaysleeper
01-28-2006, 02:43 AM
So you still don't believe he's hurt even though he got treatment again on his foot today, sat out of practice, and might not play tomorrow?

no no, i believe he's hurtin a bit for sure, i dont doubt it. but since 2004 he kinda declines a bit more every year. manu was a much bigger reason for our 2005 title than TD. TD dissapeared a LOT when it matters. i know he's had a good share of injuries but even then, i think he's playing some of the worst basketball of his career (granted his worst >>>>>> a lot of other people's best)

themvp
01-28-2006, 02:58 AM
There is a chance for Sean Marks! He can own Garnett!

SouthernFried
01-28-2006, 03:22 AM
Man, I would love seeing OBERTO get the starting nod. For a few games even. Let Timmy recharge as much as possible.

This could be a blessing...in a serious disguise ;)

The Cougar
01-28-2006, 03:28 AM
Good, Duncan only holds back Rasho's greatness.

SouthernFried
01-28-2006, 03:32 AM
Hopefully Rasho drops a 5 point 4 board effort on their ass.

:lmao

The Cougar
01-28-2006, 03:36 AM
Kandi is gone now, as we all know Kandi was THE Rasho stopper, he's gonna light them up for a double ocho. 8 boards 8 points.

Tek_XX
01-28-2006, 03:42 AM
So basically Duncan will miss the game because of the treatment on his foot?

Dre_7
01-28-2006, 04:35 AM
What kinda treatment did he get? They talkin about another shot? Cuz I would just rather have him rest a month or two than get another shot. The last thing SA needs is for that thing to rupture!

MannyIsGod
01-28-2006, 05:50 AM
no no, i believe he's hurtin a bit for sure, i dont doubt it. but since 2004 he kinda declines a bit more every year. manu was a much bigger reason for our 2005 title than TD. TD dissapeared a LOT when it matters. i know he's had a good share of injuries but even then, i think he's playing some of the worst basketball of his career (granted his worst >>>>>> a lot of other people's best)The fuck?

boutons_
01-28-2006, 06:47 AM
"The fuck?"

eg: Finals Game5 was "I-lost-this-game/Pistons-sweep-Spurs@Palace" horrible for Tim, topped by Tim missing the uncontested point-blank put-back game winner as regulation expired, preceded by 2 dazed-and-confused Tims in Games3,4.

( I wonder if Tim's motivation for losing noticeable pounds over the summer and Pop saying he was in his best shape in years, was how poorly he played in the Finals? With another Championship and Finals MVP in his trophy case, Tim was motivatd to lose weight over the summer? )

... was why Manu was seriously discussed as Finals MVP and lost it 4 - 6 votes to Tim, IIRC.

Yes, Tim had 2 tender ankles last season and is hurt again now, but the net result is Tim is way, way down from Tim of 2003.

MannyIsGod
01-28-2006, 07:26 AM
I'm all for Manu getting near equal recognition, but "much greater"? Only if you're as high as Chris Anderson.

Just as people on this forum have a hard time understanding the little things Rasho does, they quickly dismiss how good Duncan is.

smeagol
01-28-2006, 07:49 AM
So you don't want him to drive to the hoop anymore?

That was an unfortunate injury. Not much he or any other player could've done about it.

SequSpur
01-28-2006, 08:23 AM
Just as people on this forum have a hard time understanding the little things Rasho does, they quickly dismiss how good Duncan is.

Well... I don't understand how you bring the gifts of Rasho into a discussion about Timmay!!!!!!!!!!! but Rasho is the worst starting center in the history of the NBA. Dude plays 20 plus minutes a game and has no statistics.

Even worse than Bruce Bowen.

Try your comparison/contrast with someone else.

5ToolMan
01-28-2006, 09:16 AM
Well... I don't understand how you bring the gifts of Rasho into a discussion about Timmay!!!!!!!!!!! but Rasho is the worst starting center in the history of the NBA. Dude plays 20 plus minutes a game and has no statistics.

Even worse than Bruce Bowen.

Try your comparison/contrast with someone else.

It was not as much a comparison between Rasho and Tim. It was more a statement about how many on this board are clueless in understanding the game beyond fantasy league stats. It appears you, amoung many others resemble that remark.

Tim knows how to build a championship team, as he has done it THREE times. It has never been about him demonstrating his manhood or building his individual stats. It has always has been about Tim getting the best out of all players in their specific assigned roles as support pieces around him.

boutons_
01-28-2006, 09:59 AM
"What kinda treatment did he get? "

"Duncan, meanwhile, underwent short-wave lithotripsy treatment to help relieve his plantar fasciitis. The treatment, which is similar to one used to break up kidney stones, sends shock waves to the foot."

"They talkin about another shot?"

No, I think they said one anti-inflammatory cortisone shot was the limit.

Rummpd
01-28-2006, 11:10 AM
As a physician and former physical therapist the exact risk of further injections is unknown. There is actually (surprisinigly) little medical literature on this subject from a search I just did yesterday: (search terms: PubMed - "cortisone, injections, tendon rupture" see: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?CMD=search&DB=PubMed).

I pulled a few of these (only 5 articles from my search) to review at a medical library and most were case reports and were not large enough studies to establish the "risk/benefit" for conditions like plantar fasciatis.

My one feeling is that depending on the dose and in an experts hands - another shot would probably be of very small risk - but is it worth it in the regular season on a team silll tied for first place in their division and conference?

I am also intrigued by the mention of a possible use by Duncan's team of the lithotropy treatments, I discussed this treatment modality with a physical therapist friend and he said it was a very promising treatment.

I am sure the Spurs have a very good Sportsmedicine team and they seem to be "conservative", which IMO is in the long-term interests of the player, the franchise and even the fans.

leemajors
01-28-2006, 11:53 AM
boutons, rumm, could i have a little more info on lithotropy? i know how it works for kidney stones but not sure how it could help pf.

boutons_
01-28-2006, 12:13 PM
Have they determined that Tim has developed calcification (spurs) or just tendon inflammation?

seen below, spurs can form from PF inflammation, but spurs can also be completely asymptomatic.

"Extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy (ESWT) may be an alternative to surgery. ESWT allows controlled sonic pulses of short duration to produce transient pressure disturbances in the shoulder with the aim of fragmenting deposits. The procedure aims to improve shoulder function and reduce pain. The mechanism of ESWT on calcifying tendonitis is unknown. ESWT is an established technique for the treatment of renal calculi and has since been used in orthopaedics. "

A comment more related to lithotripsy for tendons:

"A future treatment modality for certain types of heel pain is lithotripsy, or the use of high-frequency sound waves to break down tissue. Lithotripsy has been used successfully to treat kidney stones and is pending FDA approval for treating a certain type of Achilles tendonitis."

and more:

"Chronic proximal plantar fasciitis is a common ailment characterized by deep pain in the bottom of the heel, especially when arising from bed. Pain may subside with activity, however, in some patients the pain may persist, interrupting activities of daily living. On physical exam, a firm pressure over the heel will produce a tender spot. The exact cause of chronic proximal plantar fasciitis is unclear, although repetitive injury is suspected. Heel spurs are a common associated finding, although it has never been proven that heel spurs cause the pain.

In fact, asymptomatic heel spurs can be found in up to 10% of the population. Conservative therapy of chronic proximal plantar fasciitis is successful in the vast majority of cases. Rest or minimization of running or jumping is the cornerstone of therapy. Heel cups are sometimes helpful in alleviating symptoms. Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs are also helpful in acute cases. If these measures are ineffective, a local injection of steroids may be effective.

Improvement is frustratingly slow and gradual, taking up to a year in some cases.

For cases that do not respond to conservative therapy, either open or endoscopic plantar fasciotomy may be considered. Extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy (ESWL) is a non-invasive procedure historically used as a treatment for kidney stones. The acoustic force of a shock wave causes the disintegration of the kidney stone. Subsequently, extracorporeal shock wave therapy was investigated as a treatment of musculoskeletal conditions, such as chronic proximal plantar fasciitis. The scientific basis of this approach is not known, but it is thought to promote healing of the tissue. It should be noted that extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy as a treatment of chronic proximal plantar fasciitis is not intended to disintegrate the heel spurs; in fact, heel spurs typically persist after treatment. "

================

Too tehcnical for ya? Well, not for me, because the Tim = Spurs,
and right now, that means Tim's PF = Spurs.

If Tim's PF doesn't go away, Spurs won't get out of the WC.

Sorta like Tim's knee in 2000 killing the Spurs.

angel_luv
01-28-2006, 12:44 PM
It was not as much a comparison between Rasho and Tim. It was more a statement about how many on this board are clueless in understanding the game beyond fantasy league stats. It appears you, amoung many others resemble that remark.

Tim knows how to build a championship team, as he has done it THREE times. It has never been about him demonstrating his manhood or building his individual stats. It has always has been about Tim getting the best out of all players in their specific assigned roles as support pieces around him.

Yes!!!!!!!!!! :tu :tu :tu

TDfan2007
01-28-2006, 12:45 PM
goddamnit I was looking forward to the TD - KG matchup

Banks91
01-28-2006, 01:39 PM
goddamnit I was looking forward to the TD - KG matchup

why?

It's not like Duncan stepped up his game for the other 2 games against KG.

By now you all should know that Duncan doesn't treat games against other big stars as a chance to showcase his game a little. He doesn't get up for those games for some reason.

I mean, you'd think against KG, or Dirk, or any other good players, he'd be able to get himself up for them, but he doesn't.

And if your the national audience, why would you want to tune into a one sided matchup??

leemajors
01-28-2006, 01:53 PM
it's not nationally televised anyway, and neither was the last matchup. i will take a win every time if kg outplays timmy.

leemajors
01-28-2006, 01:54 PM
and thanks for the info boutons. this is off topic, but is there really any benefit to the flashing light, usually led therapy infomercials everywhere or is it just a crock of shit... i am wary of stuff certified by the "space foundation" except for memory foam.

boutons_
01-28-2006, 02:07 PM
I first heard about red LEDs (visible light, not penetrating radiation) was on race horses.

There's not enough LED radiant energy to cause warming and a cooling flow of blood,
the visible red LED light doesn't penetrate a horse's fur and skin so it doesn't reach the muscles and tendons. LED therapy seems just Scientology-style bogus bullshit to me. :)

Lithotripsy actual injects quite a bit of penetrating, even destructive, energy so something happening in there, preferably good, seems probable.

Winnipeg_Spur
01-28-2006, 02:54 PM
Finals Game5 was "I-lost-this-game/Pistons-sweep-Spurs@Palace" horrible for Tim
Damn, if 26 and 19 qualifies as losing the game for your team, I wish we could get some more players to lose games for the Spurs. Why don't you ask the Pistons how bad Timmy played? After 6 games and 3 quarters, they were so terrified of him they were doubling him practically everytime he touched the ball in the most pivotal 12 minutes of basketball of the season. :smokin

boutons_
01-28-2006, 03:10 PM
fuck Tim's game5 stats, go watch the game.

Winnipeg_Spur
01-28-2006, 03:30 PM
Why don't you watch the whole game, not just the last 10 minutes or so. Without his play the Spurs aren't even within striking distance of Detroit, and Horry's masterful performance goes for naught.

Rummpd
01-28-2006, 03:37 PM
Boutons added some very solid info - good work!

What source was this from by the way?

Spurs rock
01-28-2006, 06:11 PM
Your precious TD is scared to face KG and be down 3-0 statwise.
He got his treatment. Man up Timmy and face the top PF in the NBA!
No excuses. I expect Timmy to be at the dance

I'll take wins over stats anyday.