PDA

View Full Version : Lakers notes: Jackson seeks team effort

ducks
01-27-2006, 07:27 PM
Article Last Updated: 1/26/2006 11:41 PM

Lakers notes: Jackson seeks team effort

By Vincent Bonsignore, Staff Writer
Inside SOCAL

If Kobe Bryant is concerned about rising expectations or feeling compelled to top his historic 81-point performance Sunday, he isn't letting on. He sounded comfortable with just blending in tonight when the Lakers host the Golden State Warriors.
"I'm not really concerned with any of that stuff, I'm just looking to get another win," Bryant said.

That's good news to Lakers coach Phil Jackson, who said it's important that Bryant fight the urge to try to make history again by somehow outdoing himself.

With the Lakers opening a seven-game trip Sunday in Detroit, Jackson is hoping for a momentum-building team effort rather than a one-man show just for the sake of entertainment value.

"Kobe has to blend his talents with what the game requires," Jackson said. "And he knows how important this game is for us to win to get out on the road with some good wishes and good elements."

Jackson would just as soon see Smush Parker or Kwame Brown lead the Lakers in scoring tonight. Both players had big games against the Warriors in Oakland two weeks ago, and each presents appealing match up possibilities the Lakers need to exploit.

"If those are the two players who have to have 20- or 18-point games and if Kobe has to play (Jason Richardson) to a standstill for us to win the game, then that's what we have to do," Jackson said. "We're not looking for Kobe to score 80 or 50 or 30, we're just trying to fit it all together and get a win."

Welcome to the rivalry, Artest: Jackson is as curious as anyone else how Ron Artest will fit in with the Sacramento Kings after getting traded to the Kings from Indiana for Peja Stojakovic Wednesday.

"Obviously, it's an explanation point or an asterisk to have him in our division and on one of our rivals," Jackson said. "It's a team we still have to face three more times this season. One way or another, he will make a difference on their ballclub. He's an impact player."

Double time: Lost in the publicity of Bryant's night is Chris Mihm's stretch of reaching double-digit scoring in 12 of the past 14 games. It's all part of a new year's resolution Mihm set for himself to be more of a difference-maker.

"I want to get to a point where I'm bringing a double-double almost every night," Mihm said. I just want to be consistent and make an impact when I'm in there."

One of the biggest keys for Mihm is avoiding foul problems so he can stay on the floor long enough to develop a scoring rhythm. The key to that is picking and choosing the moments he contests shots.

"It's just understanding that I can't block every shot and I can't affect everything because it's more important for me to be out on the floor," Mihm said. "It's been better, I'll say that. I'm still going to play hard, and I hate giving up uncontested (shots) but that's just going to happen in this game sometimes."

Hall pass: Bryant took advantage of the time off to mail the shoes he was wearing during Sunday's 81-point game to the Hall of Fame in Springfield, Mass.

But it wasn't Bryant who took it to the post office.

"I'm Hollywood now, I had my assistant do it," Bryant joked.

It's Bryant's first brush with the Hall of Fame, a place he figures to end up.

"It's pretty cool stuff," he said.

Vincent Bonsignore, (818) 713-3612

[email protected]

LAKERS vs. GOLDEN STATE

Tipoff: 7:30 p.m., Staples Center

TV/Radio: FSN West; 570-AM, 1330-AM (Spanish)

Lakers (22-19) update: The Lakers embark on a seven-game trip after tonight's home game against the Warriors, so this is a big game in terms of momentum. It's also the first time Kobe Bryant takes the floor since his 81-point performance Sunday against Toronto.

Golden State (19-22) update: The Warriors have dropped three straight games and eight of their past 10 to fall off the pace for one of eight Western Conference playoff spots.

- Vincent Bonsignore

1Parker1
01-28-2006, 12:01 AM
I hope Kobe goes for 82 against Detroit next game :spin

Brutalis
01-28-2006, 12:04 AM
Oh, Phil is actually coaching this team? Since when?

Brutalis
01-28-2006, 12:04 AM
I hope Kobe goes for 82 against Detroit next game :spin
He might get 30 against Detroit if he's lucky.

angel_luv
01-28-2006, 11:23 AM
Finally Jackson speaks true.

sa_butta
01-28-2006, 11:24 AM
All of sudden he actually has to coach instead of letting a bunch of great players play.

1Parker1
01-28-2006, 01:33 PM
All of sudden he actually has to coach instead of letting a bunch of great players play.

Those "great players" hadn't won anything before he came along...so clearly he was doing something right.

Granted coaching the current Lakers team is probably the most challenging for him, considering it has no talent outside of Kobe and the occasional burst from Odom. However, you can't discount a coach that has won as many rings as he has...even if it was with the Jordan's, Shaq's, and Kobe's of the world that he won it with.