PDA

View Full Version : Alright I've read enough, time for some truth!

Mavtek
01-28-2006, 03:17 AM
Ok I've sat back and read many a post talk about the Dallas Mavericks, Mark Cuban, Dirk Nowitzki, their fans, their coach, and Dallas in general and as a long time fan and resident of Dallas I'd like to set a few things straight!

1st off some background and where I'm coming from here. I've lived in Dallas all my life, 30 years this year, I'm married to a wonderful wife and I have a 3 month baby girl. My wife is from San Antonio, a Spurs fan all her life, her family is still living there and we visit often. I've been a Mavs fan since I can remember playing pee wee basketball in 84', I remember yelling at the tv "Ro dishes to Aguire for the layin".

Ok so here's my ultimate problem I keep hearing about us bandwagon Dallas fans, well guess what, I remember crying the night we got beat in LA game 7 of the western conference finals. We barely lost that game, Kareem and Magic ultimately beat my Mavs in 87'. That same Laker team went on to beat Bird's Celtics that year. It still was a dagger that I'll never forget, how dejected Donaldson and Perkins looked as they left the court. In the end though I know that as of yet that was the best basketball team Dallas has ever had. This team is good, and maybe they'll do something special this year, but until then that's the best team we've ever had. Think about it, to go 7 games against Magic and Kareem? You gotta be pretty dam good to do that. Unfortunately after that season Brad Davis was injured, Aguire was traded, they blew the team up. Roy Tarpley was ejected from the league for drug abuse and by the early 90's only Blackman remained and we were starting over behind Jason Kidd. Now I'll admit I lost interest at this point, I became a teenager and my friends didn't care much about sports I still made sure I kept up to see what Kidd and Jim Jackson (JJ I called him) would do on any given night but I'd hardly call myself and avid fan at that time. A few years would pass and I matured, I met my wife an avid sports fan, and my love for basketball began to prosper once again. This was about the time Don Nelson was brought in to coach, and Kidd was traded, the Mavs still weren't very good, but I enjoyed watching Shawn Bradley of all people! Anyway the team got better and better, Cuban came in and it's really getting good, it also helps that my wife and I have a little rivalry to talk about(although she's becoming more and more of a Mav fan everyday). So the point is, not all of us are bandwagoners, and personally I don't want to be labled as such.

Now here's something that shocked me while I was visiting San Antonio, my wife's uncle straight up tells me he hates Mark Cuban. I ask him why and he can't give me a real answer but I get the distinct impression that the general feeling in San Antonio is that Mark is "not liked". As soon as this revelation was revealed my wife's father chimed in "I don't like that SOB either". At this point my wife got involved and this was classic mind you. She quickly shouted back, "what the hell are you talking about?, Mark Cuban is awesome and I won't listen to people in my family talk crap about him!" With shocked looks on their faces my uncle and father in law knew a lecture was coming, and my wife was going to deliver it to them like none they had even received. She starts with, "I don't know what the hell they are spewing on the news down here (referring to Cuban's media coverage), but I can tell you he gives more back to the community and the fan than any other owner or business man in the country". She went on to say just the other day he and the Mavs were at Dallas Childrens hospital presenting them with a check for $5million. On his show "Benefactor" the contestants took him to Children's Medical Center of Dallas thinking it would be nice for him to hang out with the kids. Little did they know that not only had he been there before, but he'd been there so often that the kids knew who he was and had spoken to him often via email and in person. Ever heard of the "Fallen Patriot Fund"? Guess who started that with his own money? Mark Cuban, just think if you ever had a family member or friend in the military who was injured and needs financial assistance tell him to email Mark. Also I hear people talk about Cuban and his ownership style, personally I couldn't imagine myself being any different. I'm a fan, Mark is a fan, jumping around, yelling in the stand, cussing the refs, those are things I do when I go to games(hell I do it in front of the tv). So as far as an owner goes, I can relate to none better than Cuban.

Avery has done a great job here, and while he may not be the most liked guy on this board for whatever reason, he's transforming this team into a contender. Besides he's done something Pop hasn't done, he's never lost to Detroit :lol

Ok my rants pretty much over, I'm sure there are some mistakes in it, I don't really care. In a couple months I'll be down in SA for Fiesta, that's always fun, I like SA alot, just not your basketball team!

GO MAVS!!!! :lol

Trainwreck2100
01-28-2006, 03:21 AM
Well I only read the first and last paragraph so all I can really say on the subject is........Welcome to Spurstalk.

SouthernFried
01-28-2006, 03:29 AM
Too long for me to read also. Just read last couple paragraphs, and my only comment is...

Avery's not liked on this board??

Must be the lack of decent Tex-Mex in Dallas. Affects equilibrium.

Mavtek
01-28-2006, 03:32 AM
Oh hell no! We got some Tex Mex up her-a!

Come on up we got the best restaurants in the world. Trust me on this one, SA sucks in comparison! Just ask Nick the not so quick anymore. (what a shame by the way)

The Cougar
01-28-2006, 03:32 AM
Now here's something that shocked me while I was visiting San Antonio, my wife's uncle straight up tells me he hates Mark Cuban. I ask him why and he can't give me a real answer but I get the distinct impression that the general feeling in San Antonio is that Mark is "not liked"

It's cause he's the owner of a rival team.

And he always struck me as a little brokeback.

The Cougar
01-28-2006, 03:33 AM

Come on up we got the best restaurants in the world. Trust me on this one, SA sucks in comparison! Just ask Nick the not so quick anymore. (what a shame by the way)

Well our tex mex is made by Mexicans so it's supposed to taste like it does down here, not like your white people Tex-Mex.

$7 for beef enchiladas? Tex-Mex is a scam, the Tex is just used to jack of the price.

SouthernFried
01-28-2006, 03:36 AM
Hell...everyone has better food than San Antonio.

But, we got great Tex-Mex. We got great Tex-Mex out the ass.

AFE7FATMAN
01-28-2006, 03:40 AM
Avery has done a great job here, and while he may not be the most liked guy on this board for whatever reason, he's transforming this team into a contender. Besides he's done something Pop hasn't done, he's never lost to Detroit :lol GO MAVS!!!! :lol

GOOD SMACK

Trainwreck2100
01-28-2006, 03:43 AM
GOOD SMACK

Cept' he let it open for the easy."He ain't won shit" response.

Maverick
01-28-2006, 03:51 AM
Check PM's mavtek

Warlord23
01-28-2006, 04:07 AM
Regarding the dislike for Mark Cuban, I guess the reason is, like you said, that Cuban is much more of a fan when compared to other owners/GMs. Cuban does all the stuff that normal fans do: whines when the Mavs lose, calls out the refs, calls out Stern and the league for a variety of reasons. And that is precisely why he evokes extreme reactions. Mavs fans obviously perceive a fellow die-hard and love him to death, while fans of other teams hate him for being an outspoken, smart-alec Mavs fan who believes his team can do no wrong. After all, those are the very "homer" qualities which cause fans of one team to hate fans of another, right?

PM5K
01-28-2006, 04:07 AM
I don't know what the point of that post was but welcome to SpursTalk.

As far as Mark Cuban, eveyone in life is liked and disliked, regardless of pretty much anything. I wouldn't say it's because he's the owner of the Mavs, I don't hear many people talking bad about Lex Alexander....

He has a big mouth and when you have a big mouth people line up to like or dislike you. I like Mark and especially his blog, I've read some great insight into an NBA team and how it's run and he does a lot of other cool things, I also like how technologically advanced the Mavs locker room and training facilities are...

Peter
01-28-2006, 04:33 AM
Methinks thou doth protest too much.

SenorSpur
01-28-2006, 04:49 AM
I can't speak for anyone else. I can tell you why I don't like Mark. He's too damn sensitive to criticism against his team. Yes he's bright, innnovative and chartitable, but he's can't stand criticism (constructive or otherwise) about his precious team.

Also, his constant bitchin' and moaning about officiating is tiresome. Cuban's take is always "Mavs don't get no respect" or "Mavs can't get any love from the national media". It gets old.

I admit, if he were our owner I'd probably love him to death. However since he's not, I don't like him or his team. I live in Dallas too. So I get bombarded with all the Mavs news, notes and stuff. If Cuban was our owner, I'd still be embarassed at some of his childish antics. He's a media hungry, camera-lovin', jock-sniffin' whiner.

I'm from the ol' school and believe that owners should fund the operations, be seldom seen and rarely heard. Make no mistake, it's always about the team, not the coaches or even the owner. Anytime the owner starts believing that he is the celebrity - there lies a problem. As a result, I'll take Peter Holt any day of the week.

Finally, any owner that kept Shawn Bradley around on his team as long as he did is a certified WACKO.

Oh, another thing. Tell Cuban to get rid of those puke-colored, green and blue, "special occasion" uniforms. They look like shit. You guys already have a cool looking blue road uniform. It would be a classic if he would stop dicking around them.

Welcome to SpursTalk.

WalterBenitez
01-28-2006, 07:27 AM
Now here's something that shocked me while I was visiting San Antonio, my wife's uncle straight up tells me he hates Mark Cuban.

Change that family boy ... or don't go to SA :rolleyes

SequSpur
01-28-2006, 08:13 AM
Welcome to the forum Mavtek.

WGAF about the Mavs? I sure don't. Win a ring and I'll give a shit.

FromWayDowntown
01-28-2006, 11:11 AM
I'll tell you why I don't like Mark Cuban.

He refused to acknowledge, in 2001, that Juwon Howard played like a punk in going beyond tough hard basketball and turning Derek Anderson into a pinwheel and pretty much ending the Spurs title chances (which turned out to be remote anyway, but still). He has openly (and I mean openly, through his blog) said of Spurs fans that we "are just irritating and rude at all times." He has whined repeatedly about how the Spurs organization is somehow disrespectful. He threw a fit when the Coyote implied, after all of that, that he was a baby. Yet, when my mother went to a playoff game in Reunion Arena and was physically and verbally harassed in embarassing ways by Mavericks fans, Cuban would offer me no apology (despite having exchanged e-mail correspondence with me in the same week about the boorish nature of "all" Spurs fans).

The guy may be innovative, but he's also disingenuous. He blasts me and my people, so I have next-to-no respect for the basketball things that he does and find myself disliking him despite some of the good things that he does.

spurs=bling
01-28-2006, 11:15 AM
:sleep :sleep

too long

birdy219
01-28-2006, 11:47 AM
[QUOTE=SenorSpur]I can't speak for anyone else. I can tell you why I don't like Mark. He's too damn sensitive to criticism against his team. Yes he's bright, innnovative and chartitable, but he's can't stand criticism (constructive or otherwise) about his precious team.

Also, his constant bitchin' and moaning about officiating is tiresome. Cuban's take is alway "Mavs don't get no respect" or "Mavs can't get any love from the national media". It gets old.

I admit, if he were our owner I'd probably love him to death. However since he's not, I don't like him or his team. I live in Dallas too. So I get bombarded with all the Mavs news, notes and stuff. If Cuban was our owner, I'd still be embarassed at some of his childish antics. He's media hungry, camera-lovin', jock-sniffin whiner. :baby

I'm of the ol' school that owners should fund the operations, be seldom seen and heard. It's always about the team, not the owner. As a result, I'll take Peter Holt any day of the week.

I agree with all of this. Amen brother!!!! :tu

exstatic
01-28-2006, 11:59 AM
Imagine how much whining Cuban would do if his team had won 3 rings, and yet got LESS national run than the Mavs. Spurs don't really care, though. They are about winning, where Cuban is about marketing. If that's your game, you wind up with a marketable team, and no rings.

GO SPurs Go
01-28-2006, 12:13 PM
Ok I've sat back and read many a post talk about the Dallas Mavericks, Mark Cuban, Dirk Nowitzki, their fans, their coach, and Dallas in general and as a long time fan and resident of Dallas I'd like to set a few things straight!

1st off some background and where I'm coming from here. I've lived in Dallas all my life, 30 years this year, I'm married to a wonderful wife and I have a 3 month baby girl. My wife is from San Antonio, a Spurs fan all her life, her family is still living there and we visit often. I've been a Mavs fan since I can remember playing pee wee basketball in 84', I remember yelling at the tv "Ro dishes to Aguire for the layin".

Ok so here's my ultimate problem I keep hearing about us bandwagon Dallas fans, well guess what, I remember crying the night we got beat in LA game 7 of the western conference finals. We barely lost that game, Kareem and Magic ultimately beat my Mavs in 87'. That same Laker team went on to beat Bird's Celtics that year. It still was a dagger that I'll never forget, how dejected Donaldson and Perkins looked as they left the court. In the end though I know that as of yet that was the best basketball team Dallas has ever had. This team is good, and maybe they'll do something special this year, but until then that's the best team we've ever had. Think about it, to go 7 games against Magic and Kareem? You gotta be pretty dam good to do that. Unfortunately after that season Brad Davis was injured, Aguire was traded, they blew the team up. Roy Tarpley was ejected from the league for drug abuse and by the early 90's only Blackman remained and we were starting over behind Jason Kidd. Now I'll admit I lost interest at this point, I became a teenager and my friends didn't care much about sports I still made sure I kept up to see what Kidd and Jim Jackson (JJ I called him) would do on any given night but I'd hardly call myself and avid fan at that time. A few years would pass and I matured, I met my wife an avid sports fan, and my love for basketball began to prosper once again. This was about the time Don Nelson was brought in to coach, and Kidd was traded, the Mavs still weren't very good, but I enjoyed watching Shawn Bradley of all people! Anyway the team got better and better, Cuban came in and it's really getting good, it also helps that my wife and I have a little rivalry to talk about(although she's becoming more and more of a Mav fan everyday). So the point is, not all of us are bandwagoners, and personally I don't want to be labled as such.

Now here's something that shocked me while I was visiting San Antonio, my wife's uncle straight up tells me he hates Mark Cuban. I ask him why and he can't give me a real answer but I get the distinct impression that the general feeling in San Antonio is that Mark is "not liked". As soon as this revelation was revealed my wife's father chimed in "I don't like that SOB either". At this point my wife got involved and this was classic mind you. She quickly shouted back, "what the hell are you talking about?, Mark Cuban is awesome and I won't listen to people in my family talk crap about him!" With shocked looks on their faces my uncle and father in law knew a lecture was coming, and my wife was going to deliver it to them like none they had even received. She starts with, "I don't know what the hell they are spewing on the news down here (referring to Cuban's media coverage), but I can tell you he gives more back to the community and the fan than any other owner or business man in the country". She went on to say just the other day he and the Mavs were at Dallas Childrens hospital presenting them with a check for $5million. On his show "Benefactor" the contestants took him to Children's Medical Center of Dallas thinking it would be nice for him to hang out with the kids. Little did they know that not only had he been there before, but he'd been there so often that the kids knew who he was and had spoken to him often via email and in person. Ever heard of the "Fallen Patriot Fund"? Guess who started that with his own money? Mark Cuban, just think if you ever had a family member or friend in the military who was injured and needs financial assistance tell him to email Mark. Also I hear people talk about Cuban and his ownership style, personally I couldn't imagine myself being any different. I'm a fan, Mark is a fan, jumping around, yelling in the stand, cussing the refs, those are things I do when I go to games(hell I do it in front of the tv). So as far as an owner goes, I can relate to none better than Cuban.

Avery has done a great job here, and while he may not be the most liked guy on this board for whatever reason, he's transforming this team into a contender. Besides he's done something Pop hasn't done, he's never lost to Detroit :lol

Ok my rants pretty much over, I'm sure there are some mistakes in it, I don't really care. In a couple months I'll be down in SA for Fiesta, that's always fun, I like SA alot, just not your basketball team!

Ok, I'll tell you why we don't like Cuban, for all his generosity, he is still a sore loser. I think it was a couple of weeks ago that he ripped the league for giving SA and Detroit more fouls (cause= Nowitzky is as soft as toilet paper so no wonder he doesn't get calls). As for Johnson, I'm sorry to say that we don't like him because his team is playing better than ours.

GO SPurs Go
01-28-2006, 12:16 PM
[QUOTE=SenorSpur]I can't speak for anyone else. I can tell you why I don't like Mark. He's too damn sensitive to criticism against his team. Yes he's bright, innnovative and chartitable, but he's can't stand criticism (constructive or otherwise) about his precious team.

Also, his constant bitchin' and moaning about officiating is tiresome. Cuban's take is alway "Mavs don't get no respect" or "Mavs can't get any love from the national media". It gets old.

I admit, if he were our owner I'd probably love him to death. However since he's not, I don't like him or his team. I live in Dallas too. So I get bombarded with all the Mavs news, notes and stuff. If Cuban was our owner, I'd still be embarassed at some of his childish antics. He's media hungry, camera-lovin', jock-sniffin whiner. :baby

I'm of the ol' school that owners should fund the operations, be seldom seen and heard. It's always about the team, not the owner. As a result, I'll take Peter Holt any day of the week.

I agree with all of this. Amen brother!!!! :tuThat was 10 pounds of ownage right there with some spicy shit on top for the mavs fans

GrandeDavid
01-28-2006, 12:29 PM

Mavtek, welcome to the board and I appreciate your passionate expression of your thoughts on the Mavs. You are a true fan and I respect that. The only thing I want to comment on is go easy on Nick! I'm a UC grad, so I gotta have my boy's back. But, yeah, he is definitely aging quickly.

Anyway, great take and as a Spurs diehard fan who does not talk trash very often, I hear where you are coming from. Some folks love talking on these boards because they can get away with it and its probably fun to stir up some controversy. But any decent person will have much respect for you as a Mavs fan.

Stick around!

Solid D
01-28-2006, 12:31 PM
Welcome Mavtek.

Roy Tarpley - what a waste of talent. He was a dominant player.

I'd suggest you break up your paragraphs a bit. Shorter sound bytes are easier for people to deal with.

Peter
01-28-2006, 01:10 PM
The problem I have with Cuban is that he's the consumate jock-sniffer. You're the owner of the team, not a player, not a coach, and not a waterboy. There's nothing wrong with sitting courtside and with being passionate about your team, but stay out of the huddle.

Otherwise, I don't really care one way or the other about him. Well, except for his unbridled homoness. You'd think a billionaire could fix that lisp of his.

The only NBA owner I believe is trash is Sarver.

Mavtek
01-28-2006, 01:20 PM
Well our tex mex is made by Mexicans so it's supposed to taste like it does down here, not like your white people Tex-Mex.

$7 for beef enchiladas? Tex-Mex is a scam, the Tex is just used to jack of the price.

What? You think all the Mexicans quit when they get to SA? Guess we got a few here too! I reccomend a little place on Northwest Highway and Jupiter called Mexicali's, it's freaking great, even my wife loves it! Beef enchilada dinner for just $4.50, but the cheese enchiladas are their specialty. Hell my wife likes it as much as her SA favorite El Tipico.

GoSpurs21
01-28-2006, 01:29 PM
best tex-mex is in SA, anybody that doesnt agree doesnt know what great tex-mex is
Mark Cuban may do all those nice things but he is still an ass hole for whining all the time (that's why people hate him) that and the fact he thinks he can buy what he wants
AJ is a good coach but he is still to conseeded for me, and will always be overrated

CubanMustGo
01-28-2006, 01:31 PM
El Tipico is a chain, and not a particularly good one. Good grief. If that's your wife's idea of good Mexican food, well, enough said.

Up here in D/FW the reporters are all ga-ga because the Mavs went on a road trip AND WON FIVE STRAIGHT! Just look at the quality opponents the Mavs defeated:

Seattle - 17-25 (with their second HC on the way out already)
Golden State - 19-23
Portland - 15-26 (and had to go to OT)
Clips - 24-16
Houston - 15-27

Yep, that's impressive. Congrats. Order the championship rings now.

thispego
01-28-2006, 02:03 PM
best tex-mex is in SA, anybody that doesnt agree doesnt know what great tex-mex is
Mark Cuban may do all those nice things but he is still an ass hole for whining all the time (that's why people hate him) that and the fact he thinks he can buy what he wants
AJ is a good coach but he is still to conseeded for me, and will always be overrated
thats embarassing :oops
:depressed

leemajors
01-28-2006, 02:12 PM
good dallas area tex mex is joe garcia's, period.

Viva Las Espuelas
01-28-2006, 02:17 PM

alot of blah blah blah. yeah we haven't beaten the pistons this year, but we beat them 4 times in the playoffs last year. win a big game, make that a big playoff game then start beating your chest. until then cheer on for that lone banner ya'll have up in the AAC. just because ya'll discovered a new letter in the alphabet, D, doesnt mean ya'll are invincible. i respect avery. he helped us get our '99 ring. maybe the mavs will get one. if the spurs go bankrupt and have to close shop. see you in the second round.

leemajors
01-28-2006, 02:26 PM
people don't like cubes for the same reason they didn't like jerry jones. he thinks he can buy a team, throw money at it, and have it be good. difference is, it worked pretty quickly for jj.

SenorSpur
01-28-2006, 05:13 PM
The problem I have with Cuban is that he's the consumate jock-sniffer. You're the owner of the team, not a player, not a coach, and not a waterboy. There's nothing wrong with sitting courtside and with being passionate about your team, but stay out of the huddle.

Otherwise, I don't really care one way or the other about him. Well, except for his unbridled homoness. You'd think a billionaire could fix that lisp of his.

The only NBA owner I believe is trash is Sarver.

Amen brother! Oh yeah, while you're at it - Tell Cuban to stop high fivin' the players when they come off the floor and stop participating in pre-game shoot arounds.

Also, tone down the "over the top" game presentations complete with those "tricked up" mics or the rims and your annoying PA announcer/cheerleader.

He may think all that shit heightens the fan's experience, but it all takes away from a pretty good product that is on the floor.

Oh, and another thing. Tell Cuban to get rid of those puke-colored, green and blue, "special occasion" uniforms. They look like shit. You guys already have pretty cool=looking blue road uniforms. They would be a classic if he would stop dicking around with different styles and soliciting input from the likes of Puff Daddy.

But I digress. :lol

Obstructed_View
01-28-2006, 05:26 PM
What a fucking waste of time to be talking about the Mavericks on a Spurs board. At least take it to the NBA forum where it can be ignored. So now we have another fifth grader that gulps at the open fly of all things Maverick. Give me a break. Jerry Jones had three super bowl rings by the time he'd had the Cowboys as long as Cuban's had the Mavericks, and nobody cuts him any slack. Your team has to do something before they are worthy of discussion.