PDA

View Full Version : Javtokas on NBAtv now 1PM Saturday

ChumpDumper
01-28-2006, 02:22 PM
How many alternate uniform designs does his team have?

Solid D
01-28-2006, 02:34 PM
Thanks. I'll have to do split screen with Stars and Red Wings on NBC now. It looks like Robertas is defending "Baby Snaq". Nice midrange jumper by Javotkas there.

ChumpDumper
01-28-2006, 03:24 PM
I'm coming to the conclusion that Javtokas is going to be replacing Nazr next season. He plays very well in Rytas' Spur-like system and really dishes out and takes punishment in the post.

timvp
01-28-2006, 03:28 PM
What do his stats look like this season?

Javtokas replacing Nazr would be a very Holt friendly move.

SequSpur
01-28-2006, 03:30 PM
what channel?

ChumpDumper
01-28-2006, 03:31 PM
I was about to say "and he'll be cheap."

http://www.euroleague.net/plantillas/jugador.jsp?id=BVE

ChumpDumper
01-28-2006, 03:31 PM
what channel?
:lol

It's ovah.

timvp
01-28-2006, 03:35 PM
By the summer of 2007, I can see a Spurs bigman rotation of Duncan, Javtokas, Oberto, Ian Mahinmi and Luis Scola.

Cheap and with some nice potential. Actually, I'd probably take those four players now over the current crop.

ChumpDumper
01-28-2006, 03:38 PM
I'd say there is a possibility Nazr might be kept on if the price is right for the Spurs and the years right for Nazr, but that seems fairly unlikely right now.

There's also a small chance Scola's boss might let him go for a discount next season as Tau will be safely ensconsed in Euroleeague for the forseeable future, but I don't think the Spurs are pencilling him in until the follwing season.

Bruno
01-28-2006, 03:57 PM
I'm coming to the conclusion that Javtokas is going to be replacing Nazr next season.

Agree, Javtokas is too a candidate for DPOY in euroleague this year.

ace3g
01-28-2006, 04:03 PM
what were his stats for the game today

ChumpDumper
01-28-2006, 04:05 PM
It was actually played a couple of weeks ago. In the link i posted above, it's the game against Olympiacos.

Peter
01-28-2006, 04:08 PM
Mohammed will be gone as long as the Spurs are still stuck with Rasho's contract. Out of the Spurs' farm hands, I've thought that Javtokas was the best NBA ready bigman. Hopefully Lithuanians are indeed tougher than Slovenians.

Bruno
01-28-2006, 04:10 PM
This guy has a nice story too with his motorcycle accident.
http://www.euroleague.net/fotos/noticias/jornada1/gra_657_79.jpg
Javtokas in hospital on day of accident

picnroll
01-28-2006, 04:12 PM
Good defender and rebounder, although he let a couple of critical rebounds go at the end of the game, but Javtokas would be the most stunted offensive player that the Spurs ever played at C.

Peter
01-28-2006, 04:12 PM
Seems like one tough SOB.

Peter
01-28-2006, 04:14 PM
Good defender and rebounder, although he let a couple of critical rebounds go at the end of the game, but Javtokas would be the most stunted offensive player that the Spurs ever played at C.

Rasho has plenty of offensive skill and Ben Wallace is limited offensively. Who would you want in today's NBA?

I'd posit that someone with limited offensive skills like Javtokas who is willing to hit the glass and throw his muscle around in the paint would be a much more effective center for the Spurs on offense.

ChumpDumper
01-28-2006, 04:14 PM
I'm not sure he's any worse than Nazr at this point offensively. At least he has actually tried to get a little face up game before joining up. And if he knows where to stand to stay out of the scorers' ways, he'll be better than Nazr by default.

picnroll
01-28-2006, 04:18 PM
Didn't see the whole game but saw most of it. I didn't see him put the ball on the floor once. I didn't see him use any post up moves, just kicked the ball out. His points that I saw, except one shot from the elbow were putbacks, dropoffs, FTS. At least he seems to know his role offensively, set picks.

Mr. Body
01-28-2006, 04:21 PM
Born in '80, he's still ahead of his prime. I like the idea of letting Nazr go and moving him in. It all depends on Oberto, if he can become a standard bench guy. But we should remember we're losing Horry, possibly - he's getting older and less dependable.

Bruno
01-28-2006, 04:31 PM
Born in '80, he's still ahead of his prime. I like the idea of letting Nazr go and moving him in. It all depends on Oberto, if he can become a standard bench guy. But we should remember we're losing Horry, possibly - he's getting older and less dependable.

There is too the financial aspect. I can't see Spurs re-signing Nazr this summer if they don't make a trade before. Spurs payroll will be around $68M next year if we don't make a move, re-sign Nazr and fill the roster with minimum contracts.
I can't see our dear owner doing that.

Peter
01-28-2006, 04:38 PM
Mohammed is gone. Hopefully they can get something good for him before the trade deadline. But that depends on whether or not they want to take back a significant contract.

As for Javtokas, if he sets hard picks and attacks the glass, that is what you mainly need out of a center in the Spurs' offense. It's not like DRob did much more than that at the end of his career.

Yet, the NBA is about athleticism but in the paint, it's still about guts, guile and strength. Looking at the Spurs' frontline I don't see a lot of that.

Mr. Body
01-28-2006, 04:39 PM
^
Nor I. Nazr's not playing well enough for the Spurs to afford him as a minor luxury (having a starting center already), so someone else will pick him up. The Spurs will need to plug the gaps and helpfully Oberto's starting to look good. We'll need a shotblocker, another one, so Javtokas would appeal.

ChumpDumper
01-28-2006, 04:41 PM
Nazr to NOOK for pick[s].

Peter
01-28-2006, 04:45 PM
Nazr to NOOK for pick[s].

Are they under the cap or do they hold a trade exception?

ChumpDumper
01-28-2006, 04:45 PM
Under the cap.

Maybe we could get Rasual Butler out of it for TPark.

Peter
01-28-2006, 04:47 PM
The Spurs are bound to make a move before the trade deadline, especially with their payroll ever so slightly above the luxury tax threshold.

Bruno
01-28-2006, 04:49 PM
The matter with nazr is that his trade value is quite low. I don't see NOOK giving us more than 2 second round draft pick for a player they can lose this summer via free agency. I don't think we can get a late first for him.

Between second round pick and having Nazr for the playoff, it's a though choice.

Another reason to trade Nazr is to go under the luxury tax this year. If we trade nazr for picks ou owner will save something like $6M (Nazr remaining salary and Lux tax savings).

I can too Spurs trading Barry before the deadline (his contract is quite big for the few playtime he has).

timvp
01-28-2006, 04:50 PM
I'm worried that the Spurs will do something stupid like Beno for a second round pick. If the Spurs are going to trade Beno to get under the lux threshold, they better at least get a first round pick.

Even then, down the road I think he's worth more than that.

Peter
01-28-2006, 04:53 PM
I'm worried that the Spurs will do something stupid like Beno for a second round pick. If the Spurs are going to trade Beno to get under the lux threshold, they better at least get a first round pick.

Even then, down the road I think he's worth more than that.

That seems like the fail-safe plan for them. Nobody's gonna snap up Rasho or Barry. Perhaps in a deal with Mohammed they can take back less salary and get under the tax threshold.

Dropping Udrih for a low pick would be a dumb basketball decision, even given his flaws.

Bruno
01-28-2006, 04:56 PM

It's not enough to get under the threshold. Spurs have to take back/sign a player to have 13 players under contract. The max we can save is $500K and we are $700k over the threshold.

ChumpDumper
01-28-2006, 04:58 PM
I don't see Beno's being dealt. He's still a project and Nick may be gone this summer. I don't think there is as much impetus to dump salary as there was with Malik. Barry is the only player whose PT to pay ratio is way off, but Manu's injuries will probably keep him from being moved this season.

Peter
01-28-2006, 05:01 PM
It's not enough to get under the threshold. Spurs have to take back/sign a player to have 13 players under contract. The max we can save is $500K and we are $700k over the threshold.

How exactly does that minimum roster requirement work (also I thought it was 14 players under contract)? Can you just sign a couple guys to 10 days at the end of the season and then claim that your roster met the requirement? From what I understand, the salary total used to calculate the payroll for tax purposes was the amount of salary actually paid and not any charges for empty roster spots.

Peter
01-28-2006, 05:02 PM
I don't see Beno's being dealt. He's still a project and Nick may be gone this summer. I don't think there is as much impetus to dump salary as there was with Malik. Barry is the only player whose PT to pay ratio is way off, but Manu's injuries will probably keep him from being moved this season.

Dropping Beno for a pick would be worth something like $3 mil to the team this season, IIRC.

Bruno
01-28-2006, 05:02 PM
I can see Beno's being dealt for a pick if Spurs FO really like a PG in the 2006 draft.

ChumpDumper
01-28-2006, 05:04 PM
If Beno were dealt, I doubt the Spurs would finish the season without signing a guy like Dre Barrett to keep up with Parker in practice. Anything is possible, but I think the Spurs have paid Beno enough this season already to render any dumping strategies involving only his deal moot.

Peter
01-28-2006, 05:13 PM
Could they void Rasho's contract for "failure to perform"...?

Bruno
01-28-2006, 05:13 PM
How exactly does that minimum roster requirement work (also I thought it was 14 players under contract)? Can you just sign a couple guys to 10 days at the end of the season and then claim that your roster met the requirement? From what I understand, the salary total used to calculate the payroll for tax purposes was the amount of salary actually paid and not any charges for empty roster spots.

No it's 13, 14 is the average number of players guaranteed by the NBA.
A team can't have less than 13 players during the season.
The Luxury Tax is calculate at the end of the season with the salary of player with the team at the end of the season + players waived during the season + 10 days contracts.
If we trade Nazr for a pick we won't paid tax on the $2M-$3M we have given so far to him this season.

Despot
01-28-2006, 06:25 PM
Could they void Rasho's contract for "failure to perform"...?

Well, If birdmans contract is taken of the books from NOK, maybe TPTB should start slipping a little angel dust in his gatorade at practice, it will only be a matter of time.