PDA

View Full Version : AJ beats Auerbach for fastest to 50 wins

Pandaemonaeon
01-29-2006, 06:35 AM
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/basketball/mavs/stories/012906dnspomavericks.30ef968.html

http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/9677/record7zc.gif

Fastest to 50: Johnson sets mark with Mavs' win

Red Auerbach, take a back seat to Avery Johnson.

Until Saturday night, the king of all NBA coaching legends was tied with Al Cervi as the fastest to 50 wins, doing so in 63 games.

When the Mavericks knocked off Utah, 103-89, at American Airlines Center, Johnson's career record reached 50-12 with his team riding a season-best eight-game winning streak.

As usual, Johnson downplayed the moment.

"I didn't realize that," he said. "We're just worried about this game for a lot of different reasons. Coming off a road trip when we had some success [5-0], people were saying we're ready to play in the playoffs. And we're not ready for anything yet, except to play the next game."

Johnson, who has clinched the job of coaching the Western Conference All-Star team, saw his team go to 16-0 when holding opponents below 90 points and 8-0 when they limit them to below 40 percent shooting.

Johnson reaching 50 wins faster than any other coach is an achievement his peers may appreciate more than he does.

"It couldn't happen to a nicer guy," said Don Nelson, the man Johnson replaced. "He's made the most of an opportunity."

And he's done so with the team Nelson, son/president of basketball operations Donnie Nelson and owner Mark Cuban have put together. Few coaches in NBA history have started their career with a ready-made playoff team. But it was up to Johnson to mold the team mentally.

"He has been put in an ideal situation and has made the most out of it," assistant coach Del Harris said. "As much as he's done well – and he has – he didn't take mud and make a fruitcake. There's a certain humility that has to accompany this. And I think he understands that."

Johnson constantly emphasizes that any accolades coming his way are strictly a derivative of his players doing all the dirty work. If they don't, nobody gets any recognition.

Holla at your boy :)

MI21
01-29-2006, 07:09 AM
Very well done by AJ.

50-12 is an amazing effort.

JHoLove
01-29-2006, 11:43 AM
Avery is a beast.

timvp
01-29-2006, 03:07 PM
Avery Johnson will be a Hall of Fame coach.

polandprzem
01-29-2006, 03:37 PM
Hold on timvp.
He is good he is good. But he makes some mistakes if he can work on himself (what we know he can) He will be among the best. But you have to have a great players also, cause without a winning he won't be there. Is Dallas gonna to be the champs? Who else he can coach? well he is young and talenten that's for sure.

ducks
01-29-2006, 03:39 PM
I Do Not Like Aj
But He Is Doing Better Then I Thought
But He Has 30 Assist Coaches And He Has A Very Expensive Payroll
It Is Not Like He Is Coaching Gs

ducks
01-29-2006, 03:39 PM
He Could Be A Hall Of Fame Coach But Lets See What He Does In Postseason First

exstatic
01-29-2006, 05:25 PM
I'd like to see him handle adversity first before I annoint him HOF. He did inherit a plum roster, talent-wise anyway.

boutons_
01-29-2006, 05:25 PM
An obvious question is:

what was the the previous coach doing wrong with exactly the same team that Avery is doing right? Just defense? or something more?

Had Don "lost" the team?

In any case, the Avery vs Don W-L comparison is very unflattering for Don.

exstatic
01-29-2006, 05:43 PM
An obvious question is:

what was the the previous coach doing wrong with exactly the same team that Avery is doing right? Just defense? or something more?

Had Don "lost" the team?

In any case, the Avery vs Don W-L comparison is very unflattering for Don.

I'd say it was both defense and rotation length. Nelson has ALWAYS run an extremely short rotation, burning up his players both career-wise, and by the time the playoffs came around each year. If one of your players averages 42 minutes, and his counterpart on another team averages 36 minutes, your guy plays 480 extra minutes each year, based on an 80 game season, or 13+ additional games, using the 36 minute standard.

SenorSpur
01-29-2006, 05:52 PM
Avery Johnson will be a Hall of Fame coach.

No doubt that Avery is turning out to be an excellent coach. However, let's wait until the Mavs somehow win a championship before we go there.

mavsfan1000
01-29-2006, 06:01 PM
I'm waiting to here somebody say Avery is a regular season coach. :lol

Brutalis
01-29-2006, 06:37 PM
It's the players, not freaking AJ.

Mavericks always do well in the regular season. AJ hasn't proved shit yet...

phyzik
01-29-2006, 10:25 PM
as annoying as the whole Mavericks Franchise is, from the owner down to the fans :drunk , I cant help but root for the Little General.

Peter
01-29-2006, 10:35 PM
When's AJ's deal up with the Mavs? Perhaps it will coincide with Pop's retirement date. :smokin

ShoogarBear
01-29-2006, 11:08 PM
This is all very nice, but tell me again what Al Cervi and Paul Westphal are doing these days?

polandprzem
01-30-2006, 05:59 AM
I'd say it was both defense and rotation length. Nelson has ALWAYS run an extremely short rotation, burning up his players both career-wise, and by the time the playoffs came around each year. If one of your players averages 42 minutes, and his counterpart on another team averages 36 minutes, your guy plays 480 extra minutes each year, based on an 80 game season, or 13+ additional games, using the 36 minute standard.
And I think we can add the stability in the S5. Whebn Nelson coached Mavs they were like on the "merry-go-round". Sometimes even Nowitzki was a center when we all know he feels better on the permieter.

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-30-2006, 11:53 AM
This is all very nice, but tell me again what Al Cervi and Paul Westphal are doing these days?

I was thinking the same thing.

Paul Westphal inherited a pretty decent Phoenix team at one time too.

ShoogarBear
01-30-2006, 12:29 PM
Westphal made Don Nelson look like a defensive guru.

I still submit to this very day that a team with Charles Barkley, Kevin Johnson, Tom Chambers, Dan Majerle, Cedric Ceballos, and Danny Ainge had way too much talent to lose to the Bulls if they had half a coach.

leemajors
01-30-2006, 12:33 PM
did any of those guys ever play defense? i know barkley openly admitted to not doing so

Willinsa
01-30-2006, 07:56 PM
It's stupid to say AJ will go to the hall of fame, he has yet to win a championship or for that matter a playoff game.

Lets wait a few years before making any more stupid comments about AJ and the HOF.

ShoogarBear
01-30-2006, 07:57 PM
did any of those guys ever play defense? i know barkley openly admitted to not doing so

True, none were defensive stalwarths. But they didn't even try under Westphal.