PDA

View Full Version : Ludden: Spurs step on Timberwolves, brace for long road trip

TwoHandJam
01-29-2006, 09:06 AM
Spurs step on Timberwolves, brace for long road trip

Web Posted: 01/29/2006 12:12 AM CST
Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

For the Spurs, there's nothing like a little rest and some short-wave lithotripsy to soothe the soul.

After spending the previous two days relaxing and receiving treatment on his sore right foot, Tim Duncan produced his best game in more than a month, totaling 28 points and 16 rebounds as the Spurs beat Minnesota 102-88 in front of another sellout crowd at the AT&T Center on Saturday night.

With Tony Parker adding 25 points and Manu Ginobili scoring nine of his 14 in the fourth quarter, the Spurs delivered a rousing victory in their final home game until Feb. 21. To make room for the San Antonio Stock Show & Rodeo, the team will leave today on the first leg of its eight-game, three-week trip.

"It was just a good finish here at home," Duncan said, "and it gets our confidence up a little bit going on the road."

Duncan should be feeling better about himself. In the Spurs' two previous games against the Timberwolves, he scored 12 and 13 points while missing 25 of 34 shots. Kevin Garnett had something to do with that, as did center Michael Olowokandi.

With Minnesota having shipped Olowokandi to Boston as part of a seven-player trade that saw Wally Szczerbiak and Ricky Davis also switch places, Duncan was rid of one nuisance Saturday. Finding a cure for his plantar fasciitis hasn't been as easy.

On Thursday, Duncan underwent shockwave therapy, which is similar to the treatment used to break up kidney stones. He said it's too soon to tell whether the treatment helped — the first session he had earlier this season produced little result — but he did know this much: Not having to play a game for two days certainly helped.

Duncan looked as lively as he has in a long time. When Garnett met him at the height of his jump to snuff out a shot in the third quarter, Duncan corralled the rebound and went back to the basket to draw a foul.

"I could tell from the beginning he was going to be aggressive," Garnett said. "I could sense he wanted to get it going early."

Duncan's 28 points were his most since Dec. 20. His 16 rebounds were his most since Dec. 13. His seven offensive boards matched his high for the season.

"He followed his shots more than I've seen him follow his shots all year long," said Spurs coach Gregg Popovich, who was pleased to see the team take 17 offensive rebounds.

Ginobili, meanwhile, looked pretty spry on his own right foot. After missing the previous three games with a sprained ankle, he missed his first five shots then took over the game in the fourth quarter.

With the Spurs clinging to 85-81 lead, Michael Finley buried a 3-pointer. Parker followed with a hook shot. Ginobili threw in a runner then drew a charge on Davis.

When the ball swung to Ginobili the next time down the floor, he set his feet and buried a 26-footer. With the Spurs' lead having suddenly grown to 13, Minnesota coach Dwane Casey signaled for a timeout. Ginobili pumped his fist.

"It was great to see Manu ... out there in the fourth quarter and really take over the game," Duncan said.

While Garnett (23 points, 10 rebounds) did his best to try to counter Duncan's production, the Timberwolves had no answer for Parker. He made 11 of 18 shots, distributed five assists and continually found his way to the rim.

"Tony Parker is probably one of the fastest human beings in the world," Casey said. "He puts so much pressure on the defense when he is coming at you."

Duncan will never be praised for his quickness, but the Spurs were glad to see how aggressively he played. Together with Nazr Mohammed (eight points, six rebounds) and Rasho Nesterovic (five points, seven rebounds), he helped the Spurs outrebound Minnesota 22-10 in the second half.

With the game all but over, Duncan drove to the basket one last time. When the ball slid off the rim, he was there to put it back in.

"I hadn't seen the spin move in a long time, and he brought that out," Robert Horry said. "He looked really good. I hope he can maintain it."

================================================== ===============

Nice solid win for the club and just the type of performance I'd like to see before going on the road trip.

BTW, did anyone hear exactly what was said about Horry? Apparently his abdominal tightened up again? I think that's what I heard. Not good news. Ab injuries are like groins - they're tricky and take a long time to heal. I hope this doesn't linger for the second half of the season. We're going to need Big Shot Rob, especially on the road.

ChumpDumper
01-29-2006, 01:45 PM
Actually you said this:
2nite, my Wolves will devour your team as well as your TIM as KG,the greatest PF the world has ever seen, will take your fragile 2-time MVP with the most debilitating PF the world has ever seen TO SCHOOL!!!!

Wolves 89
Spursies 72

Let the howling begin!!! KG 23pts,17rebs,6ast,4blk
timmy 9pts.7rebs,1-9FTs :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes

CubanMustGo
01-29-2006, 05:42 PM
Well, he DID almost get the T-pup final points scored right. Credit where credit is due ...