PDA

View Full Version : New wireless router

exstatic
01-29-2006, 04:43 PM
WOW. I just bought a new D-Link DI-624 802.11g wireless router. Shit, my laptop is now turbocharged on the web. Muy old DI-614+ was a b standard that connected me at 11 Mbps. I'm now getting 54 Mbps and the pages are loaded instantaneously. The impetus for the change was my new TiVo box and it's TiVo to go feature, which allows you to record and then dump to your PC for editing/burning. I didn't want to be transmitting video at b speeds so I bought a g USB adapter for the TiVo box, and since my latest notebook is also g standard, and I found a good deal on the router, I thought WTF.

CubanMustGo
01-29-2006, 04:52 PM
It goes without saying that you've enabled encryption and put a big ol' honking key on the router so you're not providing free WLAN to the entire neighborhood?

It amazes me how many people just plug their routers in and never bother to turn on encryption ...

exstatic
01-29-2006, 04:59 PM
Cubes - Oh Yeah, even my old one was encrypted with a huge key. In addition, I don't broadcast my SSID, so you'd have to guess that before you even started a crack. I picked that one up from my bro-in-law over X-Mas.

There are 4 other wireless routers within reach of my house. Two of them are wide open, and two are secured but still broadcasting their SSIDs.

StillBorn
01-29-2006, 05:43 PM
Damn- should I be worried...what is SSIDs?

MannyIsGod
01-29-2006, 05:49 PM
Not broadcasting your SSID is the best way to keep people out. You can also limit the MAC addresses that connect. WEP is actually fairly weak.

(as I post this on our neighbors connection)

All in all I'm not against sharing wireless networks. Our homenetwork isn't TCIP so there is no access to our computers even though we're both on neighbors WLANS.

01-29-2006, 05:52 PM
Funny this came up, a close friend of mine wors in the telecom industry and was at a training class in Dallas where some former government intel types who work for his company were giving training on security issues. One guy was talking about woreless security, an with a program he downloaded from the internet, identified over 20 connections from the hotel conference room they were in and in about 5 seconds of running the program, cracked each and all of the connections. Spooky stuff.

ZStomp
01-29-2006, 05:52 PM
hey Manny- did you take care of that when you worked on my PC/router?

MannyIsGod
01-29-2006, 05:54 PM
Yeah, I took off your SSID broadcast and limited MAC connections.

MannyIsGod
01-29-2006, 05:55 PM
Funny this came up, a close friend of mine wors in the telecom industry and was at a training class in Dallas where some former government intel types who work for his company were giving training on security issues. One guy was talking about woreless security, an with a program he downloaded from the internet, identified over 20 connections from the hotel conference room they were in and in about 5 seconds of running the program, cracked each and all of the connections. Spooky stuff.
Yeah, WEP is pretty weak.

ZStomp
01-29-2006, 05:55 PM
Yes!!
Thanks!

Das Texan
01-29-2006, 06:04 PM
hmmm

maybe i should upgrade then....