PDA

View Full Version : The Chase to 70

Brutalis
01-29-2006, 08:57 PM
http://www.nba.com/features/pistons_chase_70.html

:rolleyes

Why does the media overdo everything now days? As if Detroit will win 72 games, give me a damn break. They could do 70 though. The Mavs could do 70 in the East even.

But come on. Pistons are the best team right now... but this is just too much. The Bulls had a away from home stretch of 6 games, and 8. And one of those stretches the Bulls had a span of 12 games and 10 of them on the road. While Detroits longest road stretch is just, 4 games. One of which they play 9 of 12 on the road from Feb 12th to March 15th. 4 away from home at a time for a total of only twice all year. So... come on now. That schedule the Bulls had made them flat out work their ass off for it. Pistons have a much lighter load to do it with, not to mention easier teams they play.

Detroit is obviously the best in the league and it can't be argued.

Dallas meanwhile has a stretch of 5 on the road which they won them all already. They are coming up on a stretch of 12 games, 10 being on the road. Their schedule is even tougher than Detroit's and we don't see no hype for how well they are playing lately do we?

San Antonio on the other hand has the tougher go than both Dallas and Detroit. We begin an 8 game trip, which we are in a 12 game run where 10 are away from home. Then later in the year we play 7 of 9 on the road. But you don't see any hype on San Antonio either. But we always have liked it that way so no complaints there.

The bottom line is. Why hasn't Detroit had any true road tests? Like a long ass stretch away from the Palace? Not only does that test a teams level of play, it could set them apart from the rest without any heresay whatsoever, then they couldn't be touched.. but instead... they only have a couple 4 game stretches away from home.. and a couple 3 game stretches.

I'm not saying that takes away from what they have done so far. But it certainly shows who's schedule's are tougher, and who's aren't. And to top it all off, Dallas and San Antonio are in a much tougher Western conference too.

In ending, if Detroit reaches the Bulls record or better... it won't impress me more than what the Bulls did mainly because their competition was greater and they had tougher road trips. But, the Pistons accomplishing that will have them alone at 2nd in my books all time. I don't wish an injury to them but if any one of their starters went down, you can forget about this entire media hype.

I think they will end up around 63-66 wins though. And Dallas around 60, and San Antonio around 58-62 as well. I do think reality will set in and Detroit will cool off a bit but will still have the best record and be the hottest team. Although you might as well place them in the ECF's because the East is just a joke more so this year than ever. They wouldn't agree to that but we all know that might as well be given to them.

Good luck though. I hope they add a tougher road trip next season though.

ABDENOUR POWER
01-29-2006, 09:13 PM
Blah blah blah, you're "pistons have an easy schedule" talk is getting lame.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
01-29-2006, 09:21 PM
Is it just me or are threads denouncing the Pistons getting stupider?

FreshPrince22
01-29-2006, 09:29 PM
I'm fine with your comment about the 70 wins thing being overdone. But don't start with the "Easy schedule" crap. 12 of the Pistons first 18 games were on the road. And that was during a period when they were adjusting to a new coach. Plus, you're not mentioning that the Pistons have played the EXACT same amount of road games as the Spurs. The Spurs have actually had 2 more home games than the Pistons. The Pistons also have had more games against the West than the Spurs, and are 9-1 against the West's top 8 teams. Including season sweeps of the Spurs and Grizz.

Brutalis
01-29-2006, 09:47 PM
You guys are over-sensitive and acting like Homer fans.

Grow up and be realistic. I did not down your team.

Having an easier schedule than all three teams mentioned around them is a fact. An easy fact.

I wanna see one Pistons fan on this forum grow some fucking balls and be able to counter what someone has to say to them. It's the chip on your shoulder. It's the invincible act you put on overlooking everything that's said to only notice a con that relates to a fact.

Grow up. Say something other than a bunch of one liners "ohh this guy is being a meanie pooh again wha wha wha."

Grow up. Sounds a lot like Pistons forums after game seven.

Grow the fuck up and don't bother replying unless you got something worth a shit to say.

And now to comment to FreshPrince. Yes I know all of which you said but I am looking onward to the entire schedule, not the games thats only been played so far. But you do mention meaningful subjects and that's why I said it cannot be challenge that Detroit isn't the best team out there, because they are. And the points you subjected in this thread are exactly why. My point though was more on the comparision to the Bulls overall. They seemed to have played a tougher schedule against teams with more talent 10 years ago. I think you though along with homerist commentors take everything I say as one-sided referring to some easy schedule. You don't have an easy schedule. I said ..easier.. schedule. With the ier at the end you know.

Moving on. I will ask one last time for some Pistons fans to grow up and read some text for it's worth and stop picking one thing you think you see or know wrong and bitching about it, then fellow fans just agreeing along. That's weak. I subjected my points and nowhere said the Pistons have just a plain easy ass weak puney pathetic bitch schedule like you seem to press I have.

Grow up.

Brutalis
01-29-2006, 09:50 PM
Blah blah blah, you're "pistons have an easy schedule" talk is getting lame.
I haven't commented about a schedule before. Nor did I say they have an easy schedule. Please refer to my reply above, Homer.

01-29-2006, 09:56 PM
Uh, everyone plays 41 away games which makes your point, if you can call it that, moot...

The Pistons have the best record against the EC and the WC, best road record, will play the most B2Bs in the league, etc; those are facts.

Brutalis
01-29-2006, 09:58 PM
Uh, everyone plays 41 away games which makes your point, if you can call it that, moot...

The Pistons have the best record against the EC and the WC, best road record, will play the most B2Bs in the league, etc; those are facts.
I know this. You obviously are once again being defensive for what purpose?

What makes my point is I want Detroit to have a longer road trip. That was it. Several of the NBA's top teams have them. And I wasn't even downing them for it, alls I said was they should have one.

Why so defensive? moot...

jochhejaam
01-29-2006, 10:06 PM

What makes my point is I want Detroit to have a longer road trip. That was it. Several of the NBA's top teams have them. And I wasn't even downing them for it, alls I said was they should have one.

Coming up at the end of Feb. to the middle of Mar the Pistons play 8 of 10 on the road.

Notes:
The 95-96 Bulls won their first 37 home games that year.

The Pistons have not lost back to back games this year, no team has completed an entire season without losing back to back games.

01-29-2006, 10:08 PM

So Dallas goes on a 5 game trip, instead of a four, and their trip is that much tougher? 9 of 12 is so much easier than 10 of 12?

By your logic, I could say that Dallas has an easier schedule b/c they have a 6 G homestand, while the Pistons longest was only 5.

ABDENOUR POWER
01-29-2006, 10:09 PM
I haven't commented about a schedule before. Nor did I say they have an easy schedule. Please refer to my reply above, Homer.

Sheesh, you've got quite the temper there Brutalis. Think you told me to grow up enough times yet?

I am not a homer, in fact I'm one of the most pessimistic Piston fans you'll find. And you claim you've never commented about the Pistons schedule? Lets take a look at some of the things you've said, shall we?

The Mavs could do 70 in the East even.

Pistons have a much lighter load to do it with, not to mention easier teams they play.

Why hasn't Detroit had any true road tests?

...it certainly shows who's schedule's are tougher, and who's aren't.

the East is just a joke

this Leastern Conference is just that.

You're constantly trying to say that the Pistons have a good record because they're in the East, and I'm sick of it.

Brutalis
01-29-2006, 10:14 PM
Dude you keep putting words in my mouth.

Those quotes are on the money, honey! The East IS a joke, who says it's not? Detroit hasn't had any long road trips to be tested, what's not factual there? They have had single games that were tests but nothing long standing. And?

Pistons do have a lighter load. The face no where near the caliber of teams and talent there was in 95. Who says different with any realism?

:lmao

Temper? Yes. Very much so. Keep trying to slam me over good comments. Even you act so defensive. So get sick of it dude. Get sick of it all you want. You obviously can't stand the facts laid before you.

Anything else ?

Brutalis
01-29-2006, 10:15 PM
Again I will say. I'm not taking shit away from them. They are the best team and have proved it so far this year. I mention simple facts and Pistons fans bust a nut over them.

That's what I should be sick of. But I'm really not. Fans will be fans.

E20
01-29-2006, 10:15 PM
Its' pretty dumb to weigh records on how many road trips they have. This article is stupid.

Brutalis
01-29-2006, 10:16 PM
E20. No sir. That's not the point at all. Don't assume.

jochhejaam
01-29-2006, 10:17 PM
I am not a homer, in fact I'm one of the most pessimistic Piston fans you'll find. And you claim you've never commented about the Pistons schedule?
True, you're our fan that predicted the Spurs would win big in our 2nd match-up this year. :lol

ABDENOUR POWER
01-29-2006, 10:21 PM
Brutalis, my problem with you is that you keep trying to downplay the Pistons record with your "facts". You say that you're not trying to take anything away from them, but then you proceed with your explanations about weak competition and easy road trips. To top it all off, you say that "the mavs could do 70 in the east even." I don't see how you can even deny trying to downplay the Pistons record after saying something like that.

01-29-2006, 10:23 PM
Dude you keep putting words in my mouth.

Those quotes are on the money, honey! The East IS a joke, who says it's not? Detroit hasn't had any long road trips to be tested, what's not factual there? They have had single games that were tests but nothing long standing. And?

Pistons do have a lighter load. The face no where near the caliber of teams and talent there was in 95. Who says different with any realism?

Temper? Yes. Very much so. Keep trying to slam me over good comments. Even you act so defensive. So get sick of it dude. Get sick of it all you want. You obviously can't stand the facts laid before you.

Anything else ?

Can you please point out the good comments? TIA

Pistons OPP winning percentage to this point: .484 Bulls: .492

FreshPrince22
01-29-2006, 10:24 PM
This Brutalis guy is a joke. Everything you write is trying to belittle what Detroit has accomplished. You right a fuckin novel trying to point out how "Easy" the Pistons schedule is, and then when you get it thrown back in your face you call everyone "homers" or say "grow up" exactly 6 times in 1 post.

Sounds like you're just getting pissed that the Pistons are stealing the spotlight.

BTW, I don't see very many (if any) Pistons fans trying to compare this team to the 95-96 bulls other than overall record. In fact, most of the media doesn't even compare them as teams. You really can't. Different rules, different competition, etc. The Pistons are the Pistons and the Bulls are the Bulls. Leave it at that.

ABDENOUR POWER
01-29-2006, 10:25 PM
True, you're our fan that predicted the Spurs would win big in our 2nd match-up this year. :lol

Thats me.:lol I'm also the one that predicted that the Pistons needed to make a big trade if they wanted to compete with the Spurs. :blah

01-29-2006, 10:25 PM
Again I will say. I'm not taking shit away from them. They are the best team and have proved it so far this year. I mention simple facts and Pistons fans bust a nut over them.

That's what I should be sick of. But I'm really not. Fans will be fans.

Do you know what a fact is?

Seriously...

Brutalis
01-29-2006, 10:27 PM
Brutalis, my problem with you is that you keep trying to downplay the Pistons record with your "facts". You say that you're not trying to take anything away from them, but then you proceed with your explanations about weak competition and easy road trips. To top it all off, you say that "the mavs could do 70 in the east even." I don't see how you can even deny trying to downplay the Pistons record after saying something like that.
Keyword: Could.

Easy road trips? I didn't say their roadtrips were easy? "Easier?"

Obviously you expect a red carpet and nothing but love for your team. You're still putting words in my mouth and just crying still.

I'm still waiting for a reply worth quoting next time.

Brutalis
01-29-2006, 10:28 PM
Can you please point out the good comments? TIA

Pistons OPP winning percentage to this point: .484 Bulls: .492
:lol Wanna compare those teams to todays teams now? Try again!

Brutalis
01-29-2006, 10:29 PM
This Brutalis guy is a joke. Everything you write is trying to belittle what Detroit has accomplished. You right a fuckin novel trying to point out how "Easy" the Pistons schedule is, and then when you get it thrown back in your face you call everyone "homers" or say "grow up" exactly 6 times in 1 post.

Sounds like you're just getting pissed that the Pistons are stealing the spotlight.

BTW, I don't see very many (if any) Pistons fans trying to compare this team to the 95-96 bulls other than overall record. In fact, most of the media doesn't even compare them as teams. You really can't. Different rules, different competition, etc. The Pistons are the Pistons and the Bulls are the Bulls. Leave it at that.

Now you're putting words in my mouth.

Why can't you guys lose the chip on your shoulders and be real, and talk about what I'm talking about instead of trying to personally attack me or assume I discredit your team?

Would a please work?

01-29-2006, 10:29 PM
:lol Wanna compare those teams to todays teams now? Try again!

That would be conjecture, I was just stating a fact.

BTW, your trolling attempts suck as much as your facts do....

Brutalis
01-29-2006, 10:30 PM
Do you know what a fact is?

Seriously...

You are by far the most ignorant Pistons fan on this board. Even more so than those trolls that post 3 times and leave. Give it up dude. At least your fellow fans here actually have some good things to say.

Brutalis
01-29-2006, 10:31 PM
That would be conjecture, I was just stating a fact.

BTW, your trolling attempts suck as much as your facts do....

Try again..... moot....

ABDENOUR POWER
01-29-2006, 10:32 PM
This is quite the discussion. :lol

Brutalis
01-29-2006, 10:32 PM
Does anyone here wanna comment about the NBA.com article now instead of trying to belittle ME?

I have no hate for the Pistons. I really don't. Stop being defensive now. Show some guts.

01-29-2006, 10:33 PM
Best 3 paragraph article ever written...

Brutalis
01-29-2006, 10:35 PM
Best 3 paragraph article ever written...
I think you should work on your personal respect level. Try to sway some people here into believing you aren't as dumb as your posts. Maybe then your rep wouldn't be so bad.

At least these other guys have some sense.

ABDENOUR POWER
01-29-2006, 10:36 PM
About the article: Detroit will not reach 72 wins. Maybe thats just the pessimist in me coming out again :lol but in all honesty, I just don't see it happening.

Brutalis
01-29-2006, 10:38 PM
About the article: Detroit will not reach 72 wins. But then again, maybe thats just the pessimist in me coming out again. :lol
They very well could though. I don't think they will either but if there's a team now or anywhere near the future who could, it's them this season.

FreshPrince22
01-29-2006, 10:39 PM
Does anyone here wanna comment about the NBA.com article now instead of trying to belittle ME?

I have no hate for the Pistons. I really don't. Stop being defensive now. Show some guts.

The Article? What about it? All it's about is "Will they win 70 games?". I really don't see what's wrong with it. There really is nothing to the article. It's not like some in-depth comparison of the Bulls and the Pistons. It's purely a Win/Loss record comparison. I really don't get where you're going with this.

ABDENOUR POWER
01-29-2006, 10:39 PM
For some reason, 70 wins seems much more doable than 72 wins.

jochhejaam
01-29-2006, 10:40 PM
About the article: Detroit will not reach 72 wins. But then again, maybe thats just the pessimist in me coming out again. :lol
I agree, I'd be surprised if they won even 70...but then again I'm surprised they're 37-5 right now so who knows?

It's like the players said, "our goal isn't to win 70, our goal is to win a championship.

Brutalis
01-29-2006, 10:41 PM
Fresh, please dude. Please. I am begging you to not be a homer.

Commenting on the pace is soooooo hard obviously. Wowowowow. Let's all just not like where anything is going. Ahuahhauahahhaha.

FreshPrince22
01-29-2006, 10:42 PM
Fresh, please dude. Please. I am begging you to not be a homer.

Commenting on the pace is soooooo hard obviously. Wowowowow. Let's all just not like where anything is going. Ahuahhauahahhaha.

Are you drunk?

Brutalis
01-29-2006, 10:48 PM
Are you drunk?
People like you make me wish I had an Easy button to push to be drunk.

JamStone
01-30-2006, 02:12 AM
A few facts:

The Pistons have played 11 back-to-back sets so far this season. All but one of those sets involved travelling overnight for the second game. The Pistons are 8-3 in the second game of those 11 back-to-back sets. The Pistons will have 21 total back-to-back sets this season.

The Spurs have had seven back-to-back sets so far this season. All seven sets involved travelling overnight for the second game. The Spurs are 2-5 in the second game of those 7 back-to-back sets. The Spurs will have 16 total back-to-back sets this season.

Those are facts.

Now, one could argue the Pistons have had an easier schedule because they haven't had a long road trip this season. Another person could also argue that they have had a tougher schedule due to the many back-to-back sets they've had. It depends what each individual determines and believes what makes a schedule tougher.

More facts:

The Pistons have played the "tougher" Western Conference 22 times this season. The Pistons have a record of 19-3, including 10-2 on the road at Western Conference cities. Even if the Eastern Conference is weaker, to assume the Pistons' record is a result of playing more "weaker" Eastern Conference team would be denying the fact that the Pistons have played just as well against the Western Conference, even on the road. That notion is naive and carries essentially no merit.

That's a fact.

One last fact:

All other teams in the NBA play the same NBA teams as the Detroit Pistons. To say that the 2005-06 NBA is weaker than the 1995-96 NBA is fine. But, then you would have to justify why other "elite" teams other than the Detroit Pistons have not had the same success or similar records. The Spurs, Mavs, Suns, Heat are all playing the same teams as the Pistons. If the Pistons' record is due to a weaker NBA, then there should be several other teams with similarly gaudy records. There aren't.

That's a fact.

Anyone can want to discredit what the Pistons have done if they want to. It's fine. But, to discredit it is a clear demonstration of biased hate. If you don't think much of the record, don't even talk about it. If it isn't special, then ignore it. Hating on it basically shows you're in denial of your awe of it.

The 37-5 record is impressive as it is now. If the Pistons collapse or have a very poor second half of the regular season or get knocked off early in the playoffs, then the start means nothing. So, hate if that happens. Hating on the record now just sounds like bitter jealousy.

Tanya
01-30-2006, 05:01 AM
Can we end this topic please?
This topic is BORING and MEANINGLESS.

DarkReign
01-30-2006, 09:30 AM
Bring out the trolls!

Whatever...

TDMVPDPOY
01-30-2006, 11:03 AM
werent teh chicken suns from phoenix was also at this record last season and we all know what happen when one of the core players get struck down with injury.

FreshPrince22
01-30-2006, 11:13 AM
werent teh chicken suns from phoenix was also at this record last season and we all know what happen when one of the core players get struck down with injury.

No, they were 32-10 after 42 games. Not 37-5.

Ginofan
01-30-2006, 11:19 AM
I think the Pistons are playing extremely well. They deserve all the hype they are getting. The comparison with the Bulls thing might be getting old but if the old record is broken then so be it. There are no trophies given out for best record...playoff games still have to be played...so for now let the Pistons and their fans have their fun let them enjoy the spotlight.

JamStone
01-30-2006, 11:26 AM

Several ways of interpreting this comment.

It could mean that you think had Joe Johnson not gotten injured, the Phoenix Suns would have beat the San Antonio Spurs last year in the WCF.

Or, it could also mean that you feel as long as the core players of the Detroit Pistons don't get "struck down with injury," they are the team to beat.

Which point are you trying to make? I'm not quite sure.

Mixability
01-30-2006, 01:43 PM
who cares if they or we win 70 or 60 or whatever. All I care about and I'm sure they do to: 16 wins in the playoffs. :spin

Extra Stout
01-30-2006, 06:39 PM
The Pistons have lost almost one out of every eight games they have played. Would it be OK if hospital nurses dropped almost one out of every eight newborns? Would it be OK if one out of every eight new homes collapsed on the families within? Would it be OK if one out of every eight airplanes crashed?

Why are we applauding this "accomplishment?"

himat
01-30-2006, 06:50 PM
The Pistons have lost almost one out of every eight games they have played. Would it be OK if hospital nurses dropped almost one out of every eight newborns? Would it be OK if one out of every eight new homes collapsed on the families within? Would it be OK if one out of every eight airplanes crashed?

perfect analogie. come on this is sports.

JamStone
01-30-2006, 06:56 PM

Because if the Spurs were nurses, they'd be dropping more than one out of every five babies. If Spurs were homebuilders, one out of every five houses would collapse on the families within.

Extra Stout
01-30-2006, 06:57 PM
Because if the Spurs were nurses, they'd be dropping more than one out of every five babies. If Spurs were homebuilders, one out of every five houses would collapse on the families within.
I think it's time for a Congressional investigation.

The Captain
01-31-2006, 12:41 PM
It's a BIG toss-up.

If we go on a few more 10+ game winning streaks, and only lose 1 or 2 games in between, then it will be close.

If a key player gets hurt, then most likely it won't happen.

TxJudsonRocketTx
01-31-2006, 01:14 PM

lol that was a pretty good comeback.