PDA

View Full Version : Piazza agrees to $2 million deal with Padres

Silver21_Black20
01-30-2006, 03:11 AM
Piazza agrees to $2 million deal with Padres

Associated Press

SAN DIEGO (AP) - Mike Piazza's days as a catcher aren't over, after all.

The 12-time All-Star agreed Sunday to a $2 million, one-year contract with the San Diego Padres, giving the defending NL West champions a marquee player they think can still contribute.
After being released by the New York Mets, the 37-year-old Piazza had been interested in signing a free-agent deal with an AL team to become a designated hitter. Instead, he'll stay in the NL and return to the West Coast for the first time since the Los Angeles Dodgers traded him to Florida in 1998.

"The Padres told Mike that he could pretty much catch as much as he wanted to," said Piazza's agent, Dan Lozano.

Piazza is hoping to catch about 90-100 games this season, along with playing some first base and being the DH in road interleague games.

Piazza holds the major league record for most career home runs by a catcher (374). He has 397 homers overall, and is a career .311 hitter.

The deal is expected to be announced Monday. Piazza gets a $1.25 million salary this year, and the contract includes a mutual option for 2007 at $8 million with a $750,000 buyout. He can earn an additional $750,000 this year in performance bonuses.

Piazza became a free agent after last season, when he hit .251 with 19 homers and 62 RBIs in 113 games for the Mets. It was his lowest batting average since he hit .232 in 69 at-bats with the Dodgers in 1992, his first season in the big leagues.

Still, his 19 homers would have led the power-poor Padres. Ryan Klesko hit 18 for San Diego, which struggled to the division title before being swept out of the playoffs by the St. Louis Cardinals.

The Padres got into the Piazza mix in December, around the time of the winter meetings. They held off making a firm offer because there was talk Piazza might have been headed for the New York Yankees, who have Bernie Williams and other players as possible DHs.

The Padres made the offer Saturday night and Piazza accepted Sunday.

Piazza reportedly had also considered playing for the Phillies. He grew up near Philadelphia.

Padres general manager Kevin Towers wasn't available for comment Sunday.

Speaking last Friday, Towers said Piazza wanted to play "with a competitive team in a desirable city. I think that his experience when he was with L.A. was a good one. He's very popular out here and is familiar with the area. We'd like to think San Diego is a desirable city and that we're a competitive ballclub."

Piazza was slowed by injuries the past three years and has long had trouble throwing.

He was acquired by the Mets in a trade with Florida in May 1998, eight days after he was shipped from the Dodgers to the Marlins in a blockbuster deal that also included Gary Sheffield, Bobby Bonilla, Charles Johnson and Todd Zeile.

Piazza led the Mets to the 2000 World Series, which they lost to the crosstown rival Yankees.

The Padres will have to move a player off their 40-man roster before signing Piazza.

San Diego obtained catcher Doug Mirabelli from the Boston Red Sox in exchange for second baseman Mark Loretta in December.

FOXSports.com

---

N.Y. Johnny
01-30-2006, 12:06 PM
$2 million for a tired old Queen. way to go Padres

Brutalis
01-30-2006, 02:04 PM
Ahh baseball. Where everyone sells eachother out.

Trainwreck2100
01-30-2006, 07:17 PM
He's gay right?

Silver21_Black20
01-30-2006, 10:25 PM
I've heard rumors that he's gay but who cares.

atlfan25
01-30-2006, 11:06 PM
"Piazza's sexual orientation became an issue when the New York Post suggested Valentine's remarks about gays in an upcoming magazine article could be a prelude to one of his players saying he is homosexual."

Valentine said baseball is "probably ready for an openly gay player."

"The players are a diverse enough group now that I think they could handle it," he said.

this was a while back and it would seem to me that it was just a writer for the post making a lot of speculation which ended up causing piazza to call a press conference to say he was heterosexual

either way he can still be valuable at the plate

Silver21_Black20
01-30-2006, 11:41 PM
either way he can still be valuable at the plate

Eh...he's alright.

atlfan25
01-30-2006, 11:45 PM
be much better suited as a DH of course..

but it's his body

Silver21_Black20
01-31-2006, 12:33 AM
I think there are way better and younger catchers out there. I see Piazza retiring soon...if he hasn't already had a press conference about it :lol

N.Y. Johnny
01-31-2006, 09:36 PM
I think there are way better and younger catchers out there. I see Piazza retiring soon...if he hasn't already had a press conference about it :lol

You like Baseball?

Silver21_Black20
01-31-2006, 09:43 PM
You like Baseball?

Yea...why you ask?

N.Y. Johnny
01-31-2006, 09:58 PM
Yea...why you ask?

I think thats great ... a girl that likes baseball is rare these days they're more into golfers and that boring sport :spin

good for you, I'm assuming then you're either a Astros fan huh?

Silver21_Black20
01-31-2006, 10:04 PM
I think thats great ... a girl that likes baseball is rare these days they're more into golfers and that boring sport :spin

good for you, I'm assuming then you're either a Astros fan huh?

Nah...I'm a Braves fan and a Derek Jeter fan :angel

atlfan25
02-01-2006, 12:04 AM
I just noticed something funny about the contract

The deal is expected to be announced Monday. Piazza gets a $1.25 million salary this year, and the contract includes a mutual option for 2007 at $8 million with a $750,000 buyout. He can earn an additional $750,000 this year in performance bonuses.
hahahaha an 8 million dollar mutual option, that is sure to be turned down by the padres

hell i dont know why they just didnt add another 750k to the 1 year deal because there is no way they pick up that option

Silver21_Black20
02-01-2006, 12:24 AM
I just noticed something funny about the contract

hahahaha an 8 million dollar mutual option, that is sure to be turned down by the padres

hell i dont know why they just didnt add another 750k to the 1 year deal because there is no way they pick up that option

If the Padres are smart...they'll turn down the option.

Trainwreck2100
02-01-2006, 01:06 AM
If the Padres are smart...they'll turn down the option.

He'll put butt's in the seats, if he's gay, people in California will go to see him. He'll be Baseball's brokeback Mountain

Silver21_Black20
02-01-2006, 01:34 AM
He'll put butt's in the seats, if he's gay, people in California will go to see him. He'll be Baseball's brokeback Mountain

Maybe for a while but it won't last long. He has had injury problems in the past, so I don't see him playing a whole hell of a lot.

Silver21_Black20
02-01-2006, 01:36 AM

Yea, if he was playing for the SF Giants :lol

Trainwreck2100
02-01-2006, 01:47 AM
Thas was meant to be one statement, he'll put butt's in the seets due to his brokebackness.

Silver21_Black20
02-01-2006, 02:02 AM
Well...I dissected your statement and made two comments...and?

Trainwreck2100
02-01-2006, 02:08 AM
Well...I dissected your statement and made two comments...and?

The first one was disected to look like he'll but butts in the seats because of who he is, and not because of his brokebackness.

atlfan25
02-01-2006, 02:10 AM
oh for the love of all that is good and holy on this earth.:pctoss

Silver21_Black20
02-01-2006, 02:15 AM
The first one was disected to look like he'll but butts in the seats because of who he is, and not because of his brokebackness.

Dude...you are the only one worried about his brokebackness...get over it. This is about baseball.

Silver21_Black20
02-01-2006, 02:17 AM
oh for the love of all that is good and holy on this earth.:pctoss

Damn atl...everything is pissing you off tonight...calm the fuck down :)

atlfan25
02-01-2006, 02:30 AM
Damn atl...everything is pissing you off tonight...calm the fuck down :)
i am a bit hostile tonight....

i think if you cursed at me more that would help

Silver21_Black20
02-01-2006, 02:45 AM
i am a bit hostile tonight....

i think if you cursed at me more that would help

Cursing at you would help you calm the fuck down? That's pretty fucking easy, I can fucking do that.............better?

atlfan25
02-01-2006, 02:46 AM
Cursing at you would help you calm the fuck down? That's pretty fucking easy, I can fucking do that.............better?
Surprisingly..yes

Silver21_Black20
02-01-2006, 02:52 AM
Surprisingly..yes

Well...glad to.....help!

Melmart1
02-01-2006, 04:14 AM
think thats great ... a girl that likes baseball is rare these days they're more into golfers and that boring sport

unfortunately, you are right... there are few women that like baseball, but even fewer who are Rangers fans like me :( :(

atlfan25
02-01-2006, 04:23 AM
unfortunately, you are right... there are few women that like baseball, but even fewer who are Rangers fans like me :( :(
rangers..

what do you think of their aquisitions of eaton, millwood, and padilla

Silver21_Black20
02-01-2006, 04:28 AM

Alright! Another female who likes baseball.

Can't say the same about the Rangers though :oops

I'm a Braves fan!!!!

Melmart1
02-01-2006, 04:48 AM
rangers..

what do you think of their aquisitions of eaton, millwood, and padilla

I can say that this gives us our first bona-fide pitching rotations since... ever! My poor Rangers are known for not having a rotation... last year our rotation was Kenny Rogers and.. a rookie?

Anyhoo, I am happy that Silver21_Black20 is a baseball fan. Even if if it is the Braves, who I tell my friend Alex is an easy team to cheer for, since they always win thier division. Try cheering for the Rangers year after year... hahahaha... all the fun, none of the wins...

atlfan25
02-01-2006, 04:53 AM
Although, I do have reservations that Millwood can be an ace for them. Time will tell though.

Melmart1
02-01-2006, 05:00 AM
Although, I do have reservations that Millwood can be an ace for them. Time will tell though.

I agree.. he has to stay healthy and learn how to pitch in Ameriquest, a hitter's park... However, if he can learn to throw ground balls or pop flys, he can possibly be our ace... can't be worse than a volatile Kenny and a rookie, right?

Silver21_Black20
02-01-2006, 05:06 AM
Anyhoo, I am happy that Silver21_Black20 is a baseball fan. Even if if it is the Braves, who I tell my friend Alex is an easy team to cheer for, since they always win thier division. Try cheering for the Rangers year after year... hahahaha... all the fun, none of the wins...

This season, I want to drive to Ameriquest when the Braves are there...we'll see.

atlfan25
02-01-2006, 05:08 AM
Millwood can be the man if he is consistent with his mechanics. He has good stuff.

Back in '98 he was always a threat to throw a no hitter. I remember one game that he pitched 10 innings. He lost the no hitter either in the 10th inning or with 2 outs in the 9th against st.Louis.

Finally got it with philly.

atlfan25
02-01-2006, 05:11 AM
This season, I want to drive to Ameriquest when the Braves are there...we'll see.
Ya, you're working on getting me to go with you. I just haven't accepted yet.

Silver21_Black20
02-01-2006, 05:13 AM
Ya, you're working on getting me to go with you. I just haven't accepted yet.

Road-Trip!

Melmart1
02-01-2006, 05:15 AM
I went to Ameriquest twice last season... It is a great trip, lots to do within walking distance, and some great, CHEAP hotels... I got a place wiht a shuttle to Ameriquest for only 53/night, that inclued brunch, a gym, volleyball court, 24-hr pool, etc.... It was awesome... You guys will have much fun there...

atlfan25
02-01-2006, 05:16 AM
Road-Trip!
It would be a good time.

Silver21_Black20
02-01-2006, 05:19 AM
It would be a good time.

:elephant

^ :oops

Melmart1
02-01-2006, 05:20 AM
i still have hotel vouchers, let me know when you guys are going, I might be willing to give them up for baseball fans, even if they are NL

atlfan25
02-01-2006, 05:21 AM
Damn..Melmart seems to be mighty kind.

atlfan25
02-01-2006, 05:22 AM
:elephant

^ :oops
pink elephant..........

i wont get mad at it this time...

i guess i am not as hostile as i was earlier

Melmart1
02-01-2006, 05:25 AM
I am only mighty kind to those who will go see my Rangers. Even if you aren't a fan, you buy their ticket and I still like you.

BTW, the Rangers will go further than a-rod and his skankies this year. Book it,dan-o!

atlfan25
02-01-2006, 05:48 AM
You never know..

I wouldn't be surprised if they did.

I think Padilla will end up being the num 2 guy for the rangers. That guy has sick stuff.

Silver21_Black20
02-01-2006, 05:54 AM
BTW, the Rangers will go further than a-rod and his skankies this year. Book it,dan-o!

I think A-Rod is a great baseball player but he seems to fuck up every team he is on. He adds nothing to the team and when he leaves, they get better without him.

Melmart1
02-01-2006, 06:36 AM
Padilla has muy potential...

But I think the Rangers rotation will be:
Millwood
Eaton
Padilla
Loe
Volquez

Volquez is volatile to this point. I saw him first-hand in a double-header... It is feast or famine with him, he is either on or off. But he has FIVE PITCHES and still learning, dude is gonna be a beast. which is why I am putting him at no. 5 in the hopes the Rangers will be OK losing a few and winning a few as he goes through the learning curve...

Silver21_Black20
02-01-2006, 04:20 PM
Padilla has muy potential...

But I think the Rangers rotation will be:
Millwood
Eaton
Padilla
Loe
Volquez

Volquez is volatile to this point. I saw him first-hand in a double-header... It is feast or famine with him, he is either on or off. But he has FIVE PITCHES and still learning, dude is gonna be a beast. which is why I am putting him at no. 5 in the hopes the Rangers will be OK losing a few and winning a few as he goes through the learning curve...

Yup...looks like the Rangers have a pretty good rotation going for this season.

atlfan25
02-01-2006, 06:31 PM
Yup...looks like the Rangers have a pretty good rotation going for this season.
Potentially....

Silver21_Black20
02-01-2006, 07:52 PM
Potentially....

Yea, potentially but Millwood is Millwood so he'll adjust fine and produce, and make the other pitchers around him better.

Melmart1
02-01-2006, 08:00 PM
As long as Millwood stays healthy, the sky is the limit.

Of course, Ameriquest is one of the most hitter-friendly parks in the league, so it will be interesting to see an adjustment, him having a rep for being a flyball pitcher. Hopefully he can learn to throw some grounders as well.

atlfan25
02-01-2006, 09:05 PM
Millwood has been inconsistent throughout his career, who knows what he'll do.

N.Y. Johnny
02-01-2006, 10:34 PM
I went to Ameriquest twice last season... It is a great trip, lots to do within walking distance, and some great, CHEAP hotels... I got a place wiht a shuttle to Ameriquest for only 53/night, that inclued brunch, a gym, volleyball court, 24-hr pool, etc.... It was awesome... You guys will have much fun there...

\
Its a great place to watch a ballgame, I try and catch the Yanks there any chance I get in Arlington, its an awesome park, I love the Baseball Hall Of Fame they have there its a very very awesome fucking tour, probably second best thing to actually going to Cooperstown N.Y.

Ranger fans are great too, not like those fucking degenerates in Fenway. :smokin

Silver21_Black20
02-01-2006, 11:06 PM
\
Its a great place to watch a ballgame, I try and catch the Yanks there any chance I get in Arlington, its an awesome park, I love the Baseball Hall Of Fame they have there its a very very awesome fucking tour, probably second best thing to actually going to Cooperstown N.Y.

Ranger fans are great too, not like those fucking degenerates in Fenway. :smokin

:wow

Have you been to Fenway Park?

N.Y. Johnny
02-01-2006, 11:32 PM
:wow

Have you been to Fenway Park?

Yes :elephant

I was born and bred in the Bronx, NY and they have the same opinion of us in Boston anyways, at least the hard core rabid fans. Boston vs NYY is a major rivalry back in the East Coast, really pales anything else, and more so for myself being native born up there, it spans bloodlines and generations.

Its all in fun though the Bostonians are good eggs :tu

Silver21_Black20
02-01-2006, 11:44 PM
Yes :elephant

I was born and bred in the Bronx, NY and they have the same opinion of us in Boston anyways, at least the hard core rabid fans. Boston vs NYY is a major rivalry back in the East Coast, really pales anything else, and more so for myself being native born up there, it spans bloodlines and generations.

Its all in fun though the Bostonians are good eggs :tu

Yea...I think the rivalry between NY and BOS is good for baseball.

Melmart1
02-02-2006, 12:14 AM
I absolutely LOVE the nyy-bosox rivalry. It really is good for baseball, since it is mired in steroids scandals and an inept commissioner.

I do claim the Red Sox as my second team, I have followed them for about ten years. The fact that A-Rod is now a Yankee doesn't help. I do like Jeter though, the man is a winner and born leader. He is an awesome baseball player, as a Sox fan I will say that till the end. I will miss Bernie Wiliams, talk about a class act! That being said, I do like to take my potshots at them sometimes. All in good fun, though!

But A-Rod, Sheffield, Unit and Giambi.... PUKE!

BTW, I caught a Rangers-White Sox double header last summer and there were a ton of Yankees caps in the audience... was that you, NYJohnny?

Silver21_Black20
02-02-2006, 02:08 AM
I absolutely LOVE the nyy-bosox rivalry. It really is good for baseball, since it is mired in steroids scandals and an inept commissioner.

I do claim the Red Sox as my second team, I have followed them for about ten years. The fact that A-Rod is now a Yankee doesn't help. I do like Jeter though, the man is a winner and born leader. He is an awesome baseball player, as a Sox fan I will say that till the end. I will miss Bernie Wiliams, talk about a class act! That being said, I do like to take my potshots at them sometimes. All in good fun, though!

BTW, I caught a Rangers-White Sox double header last summer and there were a ton of Yankees caps in the audience... was that you, NYJohnny?

I am a HUGE Derek Jeter fan. Besides the obvious, his good looks, he is a tremendously talented ball player. He has made some of the most amazing and important plays during the Division Series and the World Series. :tu

atlfan25
02-02-2006, 02:12 AM
I Heard Rumors He Was A Fag

Silver21_Black20
02-02-2006, 02:47 AM
I Heard Rumors He Was A Fag

Well...I heard that he bangs hot chicks!

Melmart1
02-02-2006, 08:41 AM
I heard he always gets the chicks, he is quite the playa. I don't think he is gay. I also don't think he is all that attractive. As he said himself on "Saturday Night Live", he looks like 'what would happen if The Rock and a Muppet mated'.

Now A-Rod... that is a whole different story. But I am biased in my dislike of him, so I will make no further comment except that I would not be surprised if there was truth to the gay-rod name.

Silver21_Black20
02-02-2006, 04:37 PM
I heard he always gets the chicks, he is quite the playa. I don't think he is gay. I also don't think he is all that attractive. As he said himself on "Saturday Night Live", he looks like 'what would happen if The Rock and a Muppet mated'.

Now A-Rod... that is a whole different story. But I am biased in my dislike of him, so I will make no further comment except that I would not be surprised if there was truth to the gay-rod name.

Really?

You are the first female, that I know of, to have said that....hmmm....interesting.

Melmart1
02-02-2006, 04:55 PM
I always tend to go for guys that nobody else likes. I think Gary Oldman is hot, but every girl I know wants to gag. For me its in the eyes. I do like a few guys that are 'conventionally' good-looking, like George Clooney. Nummy!

But Derek Jeter just doesn't do it for me. He has a nice ass, though.

Does anyone know when was the last time we talked about Piazza in this thread?

Silver21_Black20
02-02-2006, 05:00 PM
I always tend to go for guys that nobody else likes. I think Gary Oldman is hot, but every girl I know wants to gag. For me its in the eyes. I do like a few guys that are 'conventionally' good-looking, like George Clooney. Nummy!

But Derek Jeter just doesn't do it for me. He has a nice ass, though.

Does anyone know when was the last time we talked about Piazza in this thread?

:lol

N.Y. Johnny
02-02-2006, 08:29 PM

Nah, as much as I wanted to catch a ChiSox game last year I didn't go. Usually I really don't mind rooting for the Rangers against anyone else but the Yanks. I sometimes go up to Dallas in the Summer months for things and I end up checkin out who is there by chance and go to watch because I love baseball first and foremost.

If its like Texas vs Devil Rays, I try to go and especially since you will get great seats for cheap for games like that, sometimes right behind the plate. I don't care I love baseball.

Melmart1
02-02-2006, 09:33 PM
For that Chisox double-header, I paid 58 for both tix, four rows behind Ranger dougout. Two games each. It was so dirt cheap, but I spent the rest of my money on beer, so I guess it evened out in the end! Delucci hit a Grand Slam, I was in heaven.

Silver21_Black20
02-02-2006, 10:26 PM
Seats behind the plate or the dugout aren't expensive? Really! I want to go to a major league game this season, I need to look into that. I wouldn't mind driving up to Arlington when the Braves are there.

N.Y. Johnny
02-02-2006, 10:37 PM
Seats behind the plate or the dugout aren't expensive? Really! I want to go to a major league game this season, I need to look into that. I wouldn't mind driving up to Arlington when the Braves are there.

They really aren't that expensive at all believe it or not, Playoff Tickets I don't think are, I've been to Yankee Stadium on the arm for free for playoffs, but that was because a friend of mine in NY gets the tickets from the Yanks because his contracting company is responsible for all of the electric work on the Stadium.

Ranger games seats aren't bad like Melmart said up there its very awesome, I know i can get Dugout seats on the visitor side when the Yanks are in TX for a good price no more than $100 bucks for 3 nights.
I think this year you're out of luck for the Braves in Arlington because Texas is playing the NL West.

Silver21_Black20
02-02-2006, 10:44 PM
Thanks N.Y...I'm really gonna look into it. I just need someone to go with. I'll sucker someone into going with me...haha.

Melmart1
02-03-2006, 02:29 AM
I am in and out of town a lot, s21b20, but I will let you know if I go again, maybe we could get a group together and have a baseball gtg. And NY Johnny is right, the Braves don't go up there for interleague play this year. You would have to go see the Astros for that.

BTW, I got the tix at that price off of eBay, the face value is higher, though not by a huge amount. You really are right there near the action, you see the guys' heads popping in and out of the dugout, you can actually hear the ball strike the catcher's mitt, tell if its a curve, slider etc. It seriously can't be beat, imho. I got some pics with my camera phone last time, but they are pretty shitty. If I had known Nolan Ryan was gonna be there, I would have brought a camera. I am still kicking myself.

Silver21_Black20
02-03-2006, 12:55 PM
I am in and out of town a lot, s21b20, but I will let you know if I go again, maybe we could get a group together and have a baseball gtg. And NY Johnny is right, the Braves don't go up there for interleague play this year. You would have to go see the Astros for that.

BTW, I got the tix at that price off of eBay, the face value is higher, though not by a huge amount. You really are right there near the action, you see the guys' heads popping in and out of the dugout, you can actually hear the ball strike the catcher's mitt, tell if its a curve, slider etc. It seriously can't be beat, imho. I got some pics with my camera phone last time, but they are pretty shitty. If I had known Nolan Ryan was gonna be there, I would have brought a camera. I am still kicking myself.

That's right...the Braves will be in HOU for a couple games in June, I believe. Melmart...just lemme know if you do plan on going to a baseball game this season, I'd love to go.