PDA

View Full Version : Maybe they should call it "The XII xy"

hussker
01-30-2006, 04:31 PM
12TH MAN CONTROVERSY (http://msnbc.msn.com/id/11075105/)

N.Y. Johnny
01-30-2006, 04:39 PM
The fucking Super Bowl cant' start and end soon enough. Alot of noise about nothing.

Hoo Hoo They're ripping #12 off, tell 'em Fred

Brutalis
01-30-2006, 05:02 PM
big fucking deal. AM got nothing else to whine about?

hussker
01-30-2006, 05:04 PM
I agree it is not a big deal unless there is a Copyright infringement. Flying a 12 or whatever is far from an infringement.

Horry For 3!
01-30-2006, 06:11 PM
If Seahawks have been doing it since the 1980s then why didn't A&M say shit then instead of 2006?

hussker
01-30-2006, 09:29 PM
If Seahawks have been doing it since the 1980s then why didn't A&M say shit then instead of 2006?

1) Uh, prior to this year, the Seahawks have been way beneath the radar screen...or haven't you noticed? "12th Man" stuff did not rear its head until this year when some proprietors were beginning to sell items with the copyright on the items.

2) The deal is not all the #12 stuff...it's the fact that aTm has rights to the "12th Man" to the extent that MUCH of the alumni issues/associations are intertwined with the 12th Man Foundation. Just like any business entity, copyrights/trademarks give you ownership and infringements of that are against the law.

SO...it is not the #12 stuff...who cares? It is the marketing of objects with the already copyrighted/trademarked "12th Man". Just as Coke, Pontiac, and other entities have purchased the rights for their trademarks.

Some knuckleheads would have you believe it is the #12 issue and sell it that way to blind the real issue at hand. I have not seen Bill Byrne going after the Jets for Namath's number or the Cowboys for Staubach's.

Talking heads like Jim Rome and the like drum up the other side to sell you crap like PB blaster, etc... They do not go into the real issues. Why, because reality is basically boring and it does not sell much.

Same reason you cannot go out and make whatever you want with whatever team logo without clearance through the team that owns the trademark. Usually means you have to purchase the license to do so. I challenge you to go out and do it and see what happens if you SNEAK into the RADAR and on the national scene.

I will be more than happy to do your physical exam every year on the anniversary of your incarceration...

hussker
01-30-2006, 10:30 PM
What is Copyrighted:

http://www.12thmanfoundation.com/12thman/graphics/TAM-logoGRAY.jpg

Copyright/Trademark infringement:

http://myspace-980.vo.llnwd.net/00465/08/91/465221980_l.jpg

NOT Copyright/Trademark Infringement:
(that 12 "FAN" jersey)
http://myspace-151.vo.llnwd.net/00465/15/14/465194151_l.jpg

tlongII
01-31-2006, 11:24 AM
What is Copyrighted:

http://www.12thmanfoundation.com/12thman/graphics/TAM-logoGRAY.jpg

Copyright/Trademark infringement:

http://myspace-980.vo.llnwd.net/00465/08/91/465221980_l.jpg

NOT Copyright/Trademark Infringement:
(that 12 "FAN" jersey)
http://myspace-151.vo.llnwd.net/00465/15/14/465194151_l.jpg

FYI - The 12th Man buttons were not sold by the Seahawks. They were given to fans for free. The team has made NO money from using the phrase "12th Man."

Obstructed_View
01-31-2006, 06:02 PM
Two weeks before the Super Bowl sucks. Could there be two less interesting teams involved? At least both teams are good, so hopefully the game will be good, and that's all that matters.

hussker
01-31-2006, 06:27 PM
FYI - The 12th Man buttons were not sold by the Seahawks. They were given to fans for free. The team has made NO money from using the phrase "12th Man."

FROM WOAI San Antonio:

"The 12th Man tradition at Texas A&M dates back to 1922, when Aggie player E. King Gill, who was not in uniform, was called by the coach to suit up and be ready to play.

Ever since then, the 12th Man has represented the A&M fans, who 'stand ready waiting to be called upon if needed.' The stands at Kyle Field in College Station declare the stadium to be 'The Home of the 12th Man,' and the Texas A&M athletics foundation is known as the "12th Man Foundation."

Moore said the Aggies have tried to avoid legal action, sending requests to the Seahawks for the past two years to stop using the expression, but he says the requests have been ignored.

"Texas A&M certainly has no ill will towards the Seahawks, in fact, we have Aggies on the team and on the coaching staff," Moore said. "But we have the responsibility and the legal obligation to protect the university's trademarks."

SO....Protection is the Key! There is nothing wrong with that at all.

In the corporate world, if one allows the Trademark to be USED knowingly, regardless of WHO or what entity uses it, the original owner stands the chance of losing said trademark if it is not challenged.
Another point, the Seahawks were told two years ago to stop, not just "recently" as some in the media would have you believe.

I must say...this whole issue is not based in Common sense whatsoever. Personally, I say WHO CARES outside of corporate lawyers and the entities who stand to lose/gain. If you have never been to Aggieland, there are tons of Ags here that are still very much involved with the school and its traditions. Regardless of what anyone else thinks or believes (or cares), those who are from the Aggie ilk DO and the 12th Man is very sacred. Not just as a tradition, but it is even rolled into everything else, including the Trademarked "12th Man Association".

I am sure Rocky Bernard could NOT really care less since he is on both sides of this whole thing, literally. I am sure it will be the last thing on his mind before he crushes BIG BEN on Sunday.

It is, however, very important to the one who possesses the Trademark.

Have fun in court Hawk Fans! Hopefully you will win the SB XL and put more $$ in our Athletic Association coffers so they can lower my Season Tickets at Kyle Field which, by the way, IS the Home of the 12th Man.

The preliminary hearing is set for this Thursday in Bryan, Texas. More to follow. Maybe 12 jurors will make the decision for everyone involved. Stands to be very expensive for both parties.

N.Y. Johnny
01-31-2006, 09:17 PM
Two weeks before the Super Bowl sucks. Could there be two less interesting teams involved? At least both teams are good, so hopefully the game will be good, and that's all that matters.

Ding Ding Ding...my sentiments exactly. What a boring fucking two weeks as always.

Peter
01-31-2006, 09:20 PM
Boring teams and one boring city. SB in Detroit? Ugh.

hussker
01-31-2006, 11:25 PM
And, of course, a BORING game...again...

scott
01-31-2006, 11:33 PM
Why you got to knock on PB Blaster?

hussker
01-31-2006, 11:45 PM
Why you got to knock on PB Blaster?

Just the bonehead who sells it...I am sure PB Blaster is a fine product

travis2
02-02-2006, 10:47 AM

tlong...does this have any bearing on the copyright infringement issue?

samikeyp
02-02-2006, 01:11 PM
our Athletic Association coffers

says the Husker. :p

tlongII
02-02-2006, 03:46 PM
tlong...does this have any bearing on the copyright infringement issue?

I would think so, but I'm not well-versed in the legalities of the situation.

hussker
02-02-2006, 04:09 PM
says the Husker. :p

My wife and PLENTY of $$$ go there...Trust me

samikeyp
02-02-2006, 09:23 PM
relax Herbie :) ...it was a joke. :tu

I just like needling the "we'ers" and "us'ers" :)

McKenzie
02-02-2006, 10:38 PM
1) Uh, prior to this year, the Seahawks have been way beneath the radar screen...or haven't you noticed? "12th Man" stuff did not rear its head until this year when some proprietors were beginning to sell items with the copyright on the items.

2) The deal is not all the #12 stuff...it's the fact that aTm has rights to the "12th Man" to the extent that MUCH of the alumni issues/associations are intertwined with the 12th Man Foundation. Just like any business entity, copyrights/trademarks give you ownership and infringements of that are against the law.

SO...it is not the #12 stuff...who cares? It is the marketing of objects with the already copyrighted/trademarked "12th Man". Just as Coke, Pontiac, and other entities have purchased the rights for their trademarks.

Some knuckleheads would have you believe it is the #12 issue and sell it that way to blind the real issue at hand. I have not seen Bill Byrne going after the Jets for Namath's number or the Cowboys for Staubach's.

Talking heads like Jim Rome and the like drum up the other side to sell you crap like PB blaster, etc... They do not go into the real issues. Why, because reality is basically boring and it does not sell much.

Same reason you cannot go out and make whatever you want with whatever team logo without clearance through the team that owns the trademark. Usually means you have to purchase the license to do so. I challenge you to go out and do it and see what happens if you SNEAK into the RADAR and on the national scene.

I will be more than happy to do your physical exam every year on the anniversary of your incarceration...

Oh who gives a fuck. I'm going to be driving back from bumb-fuck Idaho. I do not care about this game. Bumb-fuck Idaho I do care about.

Ever been there? Snow up your ass, your cell is dead, no internet connections....it's fucking paradise!

I had to edit because my post ended up in the middle of the guy I quoted. Sorry.

hussker
02-04-2006, 02:19 AM
Oh who gives a fuck. I'm going to be driving back from bumb-fuck Idaho. I do not care about this game. Bumb-fuck Idaho I do care about.

Ever been there? Snow up your ass, your cell is dead, no internet connections....it's fucking paradise!

I had to edit because my post ended up in the middle of the guy I quoted. Sorry.

Thanks for the POTATOES BITCH!!! (oh, and go play on the blue smurf turf...gay)

hussker
02-04-2006, 02:26 AM
relax Herbie :) ...it was a joke. :tu

I just like needling the "we'ers" and "us'ers" :)

Yeah, Yeah, I know...it is just a really hot issue here in CS. I feel like part of the Aggie clan since I am an adopted Aggie (NebrAggie).

Some of the "die hard" dyed-in-the-wool (Laid in the wool too...hahaha) AGS are getting beyond the common sense rule too, but I guess that is the way it is.

By the Way: New Orleans better not fuck with my "N" . You think Katrina was bad...Husker Nation will render FEMA fucking powerless!

samikeyp
02-04-2006, 03:00 PM
You go Man of Corn! The N is sacred!

McKenzie
02-04-2006, 04:30 PM
Thanks for the POTATOES BITCH!!! (oh, and go play on the blue smurf turf...gay)

My trip was cancelled, so no driving for me. As for those potatoes, don't blame those fuckers on me. I'm allergic to them. The smurf turf is totally gay and I never said I had any support for that team, either. I just like fucking no-where Idaho in the winter. It's so quiet. And hundred pound salmon are sitting right behind your cabin in a frigid stream just begging to become dinner.

Man...sorry the Idaho thing pissed you off so much.

hussker
02-05-2006, 10:08 PM
Dear SeaSkwawks,

Don't FUCK with the 12th Man.

Have a nice off season and court appearance.

Good Luck,

hussker