PDA

View Full Version : Who should be in the All-Star Dunk Contest?

milkyway21
01-31-2006, 12:24 AM
I asked last yr and Kori/TimVP suggested Josh Smith, well he participated and WON.

this yr who do you think shld be or has the chance of dislodging Josh Smith from the throne?

P.S.

Count LeBron out he just made a statement(below) that he will NOT participate in the dunk contest though he was invited, but WOULD JOIN THE PARTICIPANTs IN THE SKILLS (:huh) CHALLENGE, instead..

-------------------------------------
CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) -- The NBA asked, and LeBron James said no.

James said Monday he declined the NBA's request that he participate in the NBA's All-Star dunk contest. He will, however, be in the skills challenge.

"They didn't beg or plead, I just declined," he said before the Cavaliers' game against the Charlotte Bobcats. "They asked me to do something else, so I said yes."

Cleveland's All-Star forward has declined to participate in the dunk contest in all three of his seasons. He did, however, play on the sophomore team in last year's Rookie Challenge and was a starter for the East in the All-Star Game.

He skipped the dunk contest his rookie year, partially because he was upset at not being picked as a reserve for the Eastern Conference's All-Star team.

Meanwhile, James was named the Eastern Conference's player of the week on Monday after leading Cleveland to a 4-0 record since Jan. 24. He averaged 33.8 points, 8.5 rebounds, 7.5 assists and 2.3 steals in the four victories.

It's the second time this season and fifth time in his career that James has won the conference's weekly honor. He was voted the East's top player in November.

The Cavaliers have won five straight since losing five in a row on a West Coast road trip. They entered Monday's game at Charlotte in second place in the Central Division.

DDS4
01-31-2006, 12:29 AM
Iguodala.

spursparker9
01-31-2006, 12:32 AM
nate robinson

milkyway21
01-31-2006, 12:34 AM
nate robinsonI'm sorry, but from what team is Nate?

timvp
01-31-2006, 12:35 AM
nate robinson

:tu

P.S.

He's on the Knicks. Should be on the Spurs :pctoss

spursparker9
01-31-2006, 12:35 AM
new york knicks, i believe

Despot
01-31-2006, 12:36 AM
Rasho?

milkyway21
01-31-2006, 12:38 AM
:tu

P.S.

He's on the Knicks. Should be on the Spurs :pctossthanks!

I'd go look for some videos on him if i can...

Trainwreck2100
01-31-2006, 12:41 AM
This is why Lebron should never be considered the next Jordan, when the NBA asked Jordan to go to the Dunk contest, he went and made classics. Lebron's prob afraid of losing.

ca®lo
01-31-2006, 12:51 AM
brent? hehe..

milkyway21
01-31-2006, 12:54 AM
. Lebron's prob afraid of losing..i think so too! :rolleyes.

BTW, speaking of All-Stars, last yr's batch vows a REPEAT.

Repeat. hmmnn.

http://www.nba.com/news/defending_champions_060130.html

NEW YORK, Jan. 30 -- This year’s star-studded NBA All-Star Saturday Night presented by AOL will feature all of last year’s champions defending their crowns. Steve Nash of the Phoenix Suns (PlayStation® Skills Challenge), Josh Smith of the Atlanta Hawks (Sprite Rising Stars Slam Dunk), Quentin Richardson of the New York Knicks (Foot Locker Three-Point Shootout) and Team Phoenix (RadioShack Shooting Stars) will each look to repeat. This is only the fifth time in NBA All-Star history that all of the prior year’s winners are defending their titles.

NBA All-Star Saturday Night will take place at the Toyota Center in Houston on Feb. 18, with TNT and ESPN Radio beginning their national coverage at 8 p.m. EST.

In 1985, Larry Nance of the Phoenix Suns defended his slam dunk title, but lost to Dominique Wilkins of the Atlanta Hawks. In 1988, Michael Jordan repeated as the slam dunk champion and the Boston Celtics’ Larry Bird won the three-point competition for the third consecutive year.

The 1993 slam dunk competition saw the previous year’s winner, Cedric Ceballos of the Phoenix Suns, return to defend his crown, but lost to the Miami Heat’s Harold Miner. In 2002, the Seattle Sonics’ Desmond Mason returned to defend his slam dunk title, but was beaten by eventual back-to-back winner Jason Richardson of the Golden State Warriors. The three-point competition that year had a similar result with the defending champion, Ray Allen of the Milwaukee Bucks, losing to the Sacramento King’s Peja Stojakovic, who went on to win back-to-back three-point titles.

Last year, Nash set an all-time course record in the 2005 PlayStation® Skills Challenge, completing the course in 28.7 seconds during the final round and eclipsing the previous record of 31.6 seconds held by Baron Davis of the New Orleans Hornets. Smith will try to top his performance in the Sprite Rising Stars Slam Dunk competition last year when he paid homage to Hawks legend Dominique Wilkins by donning a throwback 'Nique jersey and completing Wilkins' signature windmill slam. Smith received three perfect scores and a total of 195 out of a possible 200 points.

Richardson finished strong in the 2005 Foot Locker Three-Point Shootout, connecting on his last nine shots to total 19 points in the final round to edge out the Philadelphia 76ers‘ Kyle Korver, who scored 18 points. Team Phoenix ran away with the RadioShack Shooting Stars title, completing the competition in just 28.0 seconds, 16.3 seconds ahead of second-place Denver.

The participants in the T-Mobile Rookie Challenge will be announced on Wednesday, Feb. 1, and the starters for the 55th NBA All-Star game will be announced live on TNT on Thursday, Feb. 2, at 7 p.m. EST. The reserves will be announced on Thursday, Feb. 9, also live on TNT. Participants in the Sprite Rising Stars Slam Dunk contest will be announced on Tuesday, Feb. 1 and the remaining participants in the NBA All-Star Saturday Night presented by AOL will be announced in early February.

The NBA All-Star Game on Sunday, Feb. 19, will air live on TNT, Rogers Sportsnet and ESPN Radio at 8 p.m. EST. The game will also be telecast in 212 countries and broadcast in 12 languages on NBA.com.

NBA All-Star brings together the top NBA players and performers for a week of competition, community service and world-class entertainment. Among the many events that reach more than 3.1 billion people in over 200 countries are the T-Mobile Rookie Challenge; Sprite Rising Stars Slam Dunk; Foot Locker Three-Point Shootout; PlayStation Skills Challenge; RadioShack Shooting Stars; NBA All-Star Jam Session presented by Nokia, the league's interactive event that attracts more than 100,000 fans each year; and the 55th NBA All-Star Game on Sunday, Feb. 19.

...so it will be Nash vs. LeBron James in the Skills. Who will win?

i doubt if Q.Rich can defend his title. There are a lot of good 3pt shooter out there in the league today.

Despot
01-31-2006, 01:02 AM
This is why Lebron should never be considered the next Jordan, when the NBA asked Jordan to go to the Dunk contest, he went and made classics. Lebron's prob afraid of losing.

Not Lebron, his shoe company (Nike?) is the one that is afraid he'll lose.

Despot
01-31-2006, 01:05 AM
This is Lebron's last chance to get in the dunk contest under the current rules.

milkyway21
01-31-2006, 01:34 AM
This is Lebron's last chance to get in the dunk contest under the current rules.there are current rules?

Despot
01-31-2006, 01:45 AM
Only players with 3 or less years in the league are allowed to compete.

xcoriate
01-31-2006, 02:20 AM
LeBron is a pussy, and he may be one of the lest imaginative dunkers I've ever seen. He is skilled and he can jump and slam it down, but thats it. He would have been killed in the Dunk contest by the Josh's/Iggy

mathbzh
01-31-2006, 03:33 AM
Pietrus

MI21
01-31-2006, 03:39 AM
I'm glad LeBron isn't entering, he wouldn't have a chance.

My favourite bunch of Dunkers in lets say a 6 man dunk comp would be something along the lines of --

Jason Richardson
Desmond Mason
Vince Carter
Josh Smith
Gerald Wallace
Tony Allen

xcoriate
01-31-2006, 04:14 AM
That would be sweet unfortunately half of them aren't eligiable.

Nephets
01-31-2006, 04:35 AM
Nate Robinson

MI21
01-31-2006, 04:36 AM
That would be sweet unfortunately half of them aren't eligiable.

They broke that 3 year rule when they put Ricky Davis in last year or the year before.

NZHayden
01-31-2006, 06:16 AM
bring back vince

missyy0867
01-31-2006, 08:23 AM
heres the highlights of last years ---> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iae6RXEVXVU

GrandeDavid
01-31-2006, 08:36 AM
In a way its okay to watch otherwise insignificant NBA bench huggers get a chance for a small slice of the limelight. However, the event, and All Star weekend in general, would be much fresher with some real ballers doing the dunking. Must haves include:

Kobe Bryant
Lebron James

That could be the phattest showdown in ages! But they're both too scared. :(

MI21
01-31-2006, 09:09 AM
Kobe and LeBron are 2 of the Top 5 in game Dunkers in the league, but they aren't competition dunkers. Kobe won a dunk comp on one of the weakest through-the-legs dunks ever done in the Dunk Comp. He is literally amazing dunking in a game, but a Dunk Comp is a different story.

abelle23
01-31-2006, 09:17 AM
heres the highlights of last years ---> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iae6RXEVXVU

thanks for the link!!! that was sooo coool!!

dmac
01-31-2006, 09:42 AM
Rasho?http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/lmao.gifhttp://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/lmao.gifhttp://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/lmao.gifhttp://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/lmao.gifhttp://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/lmao.gifhttp://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/lmao.gif

timvp
01-31-2006, 03:08 PM
Iguodala, Robinson Warrick join slam-dunk field

NEW YORK -- Atlanta Hawks forward Josh Smith could become the third player to win consecutive NBA slam dunk contests when he participates in the event during All-Star weekend.

Michael Jordan won back-to-back competitions in 1987-88 and Jason Richardson did it in 2002-03.

Joining Smith in contest this year will be Andre Iguodala of the Philadelphia 76ers, New York Knicks 5-foot-9 guard Nate Robinson and Hakim Warrick of the Memphis Grizzlies.

Judges for the event, scheduled for Feb. 18 in Houston, all have ties to the Houston Rockets. Clyde Drexler, Moses Malone, Elvin Hayes and Kenny Smith were all stars for the team and former coach Rudy Tomjanovich led the Rockets to two NBA titles.

The winner will receive $35,000, the runner-up gets $22,500 and the third and fourth finishers get $16,125 each.

TxJudsonRocketTx
01-31-2006, 03:12 PM
Maybe Nate Robinson will do his best Spud Webb impression and wow us all. Or he might do a Birdman. Either way it will be good.

ALVAREZ6
01-31-2006, 03:16 PM
Josh Smith
J.R. Smith
Andre Iguodala
LeBron

That would be the best dunk contest, but LeBron has to be a bitch

SA210
01-31-2006, 03:18 PM
I always wanted to see Manu give it a try.

ALVAREZ6
01-31-2006, 03:26 PM
I always wanted to see Manu give it a try.
Why?

Manu is not dunk compitition material...he can't jump nearly as high as these other guys, no way. He would get embarassed in a dunk contest.

Sportman
01-31-2006, 03:47 PM
Why?

Manu is not dunk compitition material...he can't jump nearly as high as these other guys, no way. He would get embarassed in a dunk contest.

Hey ok maybe manu cant jump as the others guy but i can assure you he wont get embarassed, that´s for sure, manu still has a great jump.

polandprzem
01-31-2006, 03:55 PM
Ariza?

ALVAREZ6
01-31-2006, 04:11 PM
Ariza?
I don't know if he could do creative dunks...he's more of a power dunker, just straight up throwin it down on someone's face.

But he had my favorite dunk of the year so far on big ben a while ago...that was just nasty.

Despot
01-31-2006, 04:50 PM
I read somewhere that Manu has a very good Vertical Leap, but it always seems like he is stretching to dunk, which makes the dunks look good.

Rescueone
01-31-2006, 05:10 PM
MANU! is a dunker. Have you forgotten all those sick ass dunks he made last year? I was laughing my ass off and calling his name out loud... MANUUUUUUUUU. One I clearly remember is last years playoff game against Phoenix when he split the defense and did a cross the body leaning left hander over two players. SWEET! He has some great dunks in the past. He could hold his own in the contest. He's way better than that dump ass hornet player that got kicked out of the league for drugs last week.

milkyway21
01-31-2006, 08:29 PM
Iguodala, Robinson Warrick join slam-dunk field

NEW YORK -- Atlanta Hawks forward Josh Smith could become the third player to win consecutive NBA slam dunk contests when he participates in the event during All-Star weekend.

Michael Jordan won back-to-back competitions in 1987-88 and Jason Richardson did it in 2002-03.

Joining Smith in contest this year will be Andre Iguodala of the Philadelphia 76ers, New York Knicks 5-foot-9 guard Nate Robinson and Hakim Warrick of the Memphis Grizzlies.

Judges for the event, scheduled for Feb. 18 in Houston, all have ties to the Houston Rockets. Clyde Drexler, Moses Malone, Elvin Hayes and Kenny Smith were all stars for the team and former coach Rudy Tomjanovich led the Rockets to two NBA titles.

The winner will receive $35,000, the runner-up gets $22,500 and the third and fourth finishers get $16,125 each.

Iguodala..
Nate Robinson..
some Spurs fans hit the target...

Quote:
Originally Posted by missyy0867

......wow :wow:wow

Trainwreck2100
01-31-2006, 08:36 PM
Hey ok maybe manu cant jump as the others guy but i can assure you he wont get embarassed, that´s for sure, manu still has a great jump.

Manu's badass dunks are all the work of nice footwork and not hops, he won't birdman in a dunk contest, but he won't do that good either.

MI21
01-31-2006, 08:39 PM
Manu is again, an in game dunker.

I'm not sure if he could do a nice windmill? Any footage of him back in the younger days doing one?

milkyway21
01-31-2006, 11:28 PM
Maybe Nate Robinson will do his best Spud Webb impression and wow us all. Or he might do a Birdman. Either way it will be good.LeBron said the same thing too!

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/5293276

LeBron James, one of the league's premier in-game dunkers, declined an invitation to participate for the third year in a row.

"I'm not a slam-dunk-competition-type of guy," said the Cavaliers forward, who won the only dunk contest he ever entered as a high school senior. "On the spur of the moment, I can do dunks during the game. I can't think of a dunk before I do it. I'll leave it up to the guys who don't play as many minutes as I do. Those guys can go out there and throw the ball between their legs and stuff."

He doubts that he'll ever enter.

"I don't think so," said James, who plans to participate in the All-Star weekend's skills challenge. "I got the first two years out of the way and that's when you usually do it. I don't want to be defined as being in the slam dunk contest, it's just not me."

Asked to pick a winner, James first mentioned Smith, then Robinson

"Watch out for him, too, being as small as he is, he could be another Spud Webb."

Webb, a 5-foot-7 guard, won the contest in 1986.

Darrin
02-01-2006, 01:28 AM

He's not a creative dunker, that's why he WOULD lost. He has exactly 3 dunks in his arsenal - the windmill (one or two handed), the Dr. J (not high enough to be statue of liberty, but he goes straight at the basket, arm fully extended, cupping the ball with his palm and wrist), and the modified windmill (from either side).

Expectations for him as a dunker are because of how much power he goes with, not with how creative he is.