PDA

View Full Version : Oberto: 'I'm enjoying more than ever'

Ariel
01-31-2006, 05:34 AM
Link to the article (http://www.ole.clarin.com/jsp/v4/pagina.jsp?pagId=1133577)

NBA: One on one with Fabricio Oberto

'I'm enjoying more than ever'

Oberto doesn't play much in San Antonio, but it doesn't bother him. Fabri is happy and he enjoys 'every second, every practice, when I play and when I don't... I couldn't have made a better decision'.

In Europe he was respected and appreciated. To such a degree that, according to many, he was the best center not in the NBA. Barcelona, Real Madrid and Valencia were pushing for him. But he, at age 30, chose a different road. That of dreams. He left behind the comfort of Spain to arrive to the always tough NBA. Like every rookie, regardless of skill, origin and age, he paid his dues, and his stats show he's playing 8.8 MPG.

- Are you satisfied with the decision you made?

- It's the best decision I could have made. It's better than I had imagined. I'm enjoying more than ever, when I play and when I don't. Every second, every practice, every trip, every game... I'm happy to be here.

- It shows, but explain us how is it that you don't look at your playing time?

- It's because of age. You learn to enjoy more, you realize not everything revolves around basketball. I'm doing very well in the city, with my family. But listen, I work hard to play more and help the team, eh.

- I'm asking you because I figure that, after being a star in Europe and being comfortable there, it must not be easy not playing much.

- I never settled for comfort, I always preferred to sacrifice myself for something else. And I'm really not worried about minutes. I work in order to improve and help win the title.

- It hasn't been easy then.

- No, because I know the team I am in. I arrived to the champion, which has a starting five that's a luxury, and a deep bench. And I know the season is long. My time will come.

- But in Valencia you said you were happy because at last they relied on you more on offense.

- It's true, but the role here is completely different. In every team I've played different roles, and here I have to provide an energy boost.

- You knew you had to be patient at first.

- Of course. I know it's my first season and you know better than anybody how hard it was in their first season for the foreigners that got there... You have to be aware of that. I take it as a specialization. In the NBA it's a different game. I, from the outside, thought that many didn't play defense. And that's not really the case. It's a different game, a different way to defend... Besides, I have skilled and experienced players by my side. I have to respect the place they've earned.

- Wouldn't you have preferred to go to a team without so much depth and to have a bigger role?

- No, every player that sees a chance to win a title, prefers that. Then you appreciate more what you did for that team. Besides, I like to win. It's not nice to lose.

- Does Popovich talk to you?

- He's always encouraging me, giving me advice. We talk plenty.

- You and Manu walk through a path of group solidarity that not everyone follows. Do you realize?

- Pop knows about my effort and what I do. He's in everything. That makes you feel well. My teammates respect me. And they help me a lot. They ask me if I need anything, if I understood everything... it's all easier.

- Finley set the example, by telling the coach that Manu had to go back to the starting line-up in his place.

- Yes, they are phenomenal. An incredible group. They help me a lot.

Robert Horry's absence because of injury in six of the last seven games gave Fabri more chances. And he made the best of them: he averaged 3.6 points (60% 2P) and 6.0 rebounds in 18 minutes (5.1 in the first 38 games). 'I try to give it all, every second is the last one. I try to bring energy and do the dirty work. I don't look at the stat sheet. The important thing is that the team wins', he says.

His work, in extra hours, with the assistants, especially with Chip Engelland, shooting coach, is paying dividends. 'That's what I improved the most. I play farther from the post, as a power forward, something I had lost in Europe. I also improved physically, the speed to run the court', he explains.

- Was it harder than you expected?

- Yes, life was easier, but not on the court. I thought it would be easier.

- Did you think that Mohammed and Nesterovic were that good?

- I knew Rasho, from Europe. They are big and they know the league.

- What's the toughest thing?

- Here everyone is more talented and bigger. I was impressed by the athletic side, they play above the rim... you have to think how to counter that. Working in the gym is essential.

- Defensively and rebounding wise, is it like you pictured it or is it harder?

- It's a little harder. In Europe, you knew you'd get them anyway. Here you cannot fail to box out, and you have to be intense.

- You have already guarded Shaq O'Neal, what an experience, right?

- Yes, he's huge. In Atlanta 96 I already had to guard him for 5 minutes and he dunked on me twice. This time I can do a little more, at least I can annoy him from behind (:D)...

- Don't you think, 'he's a beast, he's going to kill me'? In fact he injured you in the first game...

- No. It happened but it's part of the game. But yes, it's tough... But he's not the only one. I guard Duncan in practice and he always amazes me with a new move.

He enjoys it. He doesn't care about minutes, just improving and winning.

Confessions on his social life

Fabri is well adjusted to a wonderful group.
'I didn't expect this much from the group. They help me a lot. I get along with everybody, not just Barry. We get together or we go out for dinner.'

There are many issues to talk about, and they ask him about us
'Bowen speaks Spanish well. I talk to everyone about everything. Cars, music, basketball. They ask me a lot about Argentina.'

A name that's easier and easier to pronounce
'Yes, they still call me Fabio because they have a hard time with the 'r'. Although little by little they get it's Fabri and they're doing better.'

With little time to enjoy the city
'It's beautiful and now, in winter, it's 15 to 20 degrees Celsius. But I don't do much because I hardly have any time. We have dinner early.'

Joking with Parker but still no bets

Though he hasn't put his mind on the World Championships, the draw got him into it a little, most of all on the first game, against France. 'We don't only think about our group, but beyond. We talked to Parker, but we still haven't made any bets. If I'll give advice to Pepe Sánchez? No, he already knows him well', he said. About the goal for Japan. 'At least a medal to prove we're still on top. But we'll aim at the title', he added.

If they say so...

Tim Duncan
The star
'When you are in Fabricio's place, you have to wait your chance and be ready to play. And he's doing it very well. He knows his place very well.'

Gregg Popovich
Coach
'He's an old school player. He looks stiff, but he's incredible because of all the things he does. He really plays for the team'.

Brent Barry -Spurs' shooting guard-
The other guitarist
'Of course I've listened to him playing the guitar. In basketball terms, I'd give him a ten day contract, non guaranteed. Fabio introduced me to Soda Stereo. Gracias Totales! I'd like to play in La Bombonera.'

ZStomp
01-31-2006, 06:27 AM
Too bad he's still stinking it up..:lmao

Today when he came in the first time- I thought to myself- lets see how long it takes for him to get a foul-- seconds later- he answered that for me. :lol

Ariel
01-31-2006, 07:02 AM
Too bad he's still stinking it up..:lmaoNot really. In the last 5 games (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3988), hes been averaging:
MPG: 15.9
Rebounds: 3.8
Assists: 1.4
FG%: 62.5%
FT%: 75%
I'd say those are fairly good numbers. He's been adjusting to the NBA game, and he's been improving. So, keeping in perspective the overall contribution of Spurs' bigs not named Duncan, I'd say he's been doing pretty well as of lately.

Bruno
01-31-2006, 08:36 AM
Thanks, nice read and welcome on the board.

I'd say those are fairly good numbers. He's been adjusting to the NBA game, and he's been improving. So, keeping in perspective the overall contribution of Spurs' bigs not named Duncan, I'd say he's been doing pretty well as of lately.

Agree, he was quite good lately. If he continues, he can become a solid rotation player (20min per games) next year.

ZStomp
01-31-2006, 08:40 AM
Not really. In the last 5 games (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3988), hes been averaging:
MPG: 15.9
Rebounds: 3.8
Assists: 1.4
FG%: 62.5%

He just looks so lost out there is all.

Solid D
01-31-2006, 08:46 AM
Thanks for posting the article, and English translation Ariel. Good insight to Fabri's attitude.

He defended Okur well last night. He's not as long as Nazr and there were quite a few long rebounds that Nazr, with his length, had a better advantage to snag.

TDMVPDPOY
01-31-2006, 09:06 AM
The question is, will he be able to continue his stride next season or lose out to javtokas or scola dependin on if they do come over next season.

WalterBenitez
01-31-2006, 12:58 PM
Nice article, btw I'd love to see a Spurs Music Band emerging!!! :D

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-31-2006, 01:00 PM
'I'm enjoying _________more than ever'

a) Donuts
b) Not cutting my hair
c) Wasting away on the bench
d) American strip clubs

1Parker1
01-31-2006, 01:24 PM
A name that's easier and easier to pronounce
'Yes, they still call me Fabio because they have a hard time with the 'r'. Although little by little they get it's Fabri and they're doing better.'

:lmao Whoever (Barry, I believe) came up with the Fabio nickname for him was genius.

cheguevara
01-31-2006, 02:38 PM
'they still call me Fabio'

:lol

- Did you think that Mohammed and Nesterovic were that good?

- I knew Rasho, from Europe. They are big and they know the league.

Basically he's saying Rasho/Mohamm are not that good :lol

ALVAREZ6
01-31-2006, 03:25 PM
Basically he's saying Rasho/Mohamm are not that good :lol
No, not really...

Ariel
01-31-2006, 05:04 PM
Thanks, nice read and welcome on the board.
Thanks for posting the article, and English translation Ariel. Good insight to Fabri's attitude.You're both welcome, and thanks!

milkyway21
01-31-2006, 08:59 PM

..that's an improvement. they say Fabri is just making 48% from FT line when he came to the NBA.

bravo!

Athenea
01-31-2006, 09:05 PM
75% is CRAZY for Obby :spin
And him hitting 3s??? That's even CRAZIER!!! :elephant (7/8 from downtown at practice)

milkyway21
01-31-2006, 09:29 PM
75% is CRAZY for Obby :spin
And him hitting 3s??? That's even CRAZIER!!! :elephant (7/8 from downtown at practice)why is it he doesn't do some 3s during the game? i saw him too do some on one NBA jam session...Pops even asked him about it.