PDA

View Full Version : U.S. wants Billups

Pistons < Spurs
01-31-2006, 10:19 AM
http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060131/SPORTS0102/601310334/1127

Pistons point guard will be invited to play in World Championships and the 2008 Olympics.

Chauncey Billups hasn't said if he will accept the offer to play for the U.S. national team. go See full image

AUBURN HILLS -- It appears, barring any unforeseen snag, Chauncey Billups will have a spot on the U.S. men's basketball team -- if he wants one.

"We want him to play," said Jerry Colangelo, who is in charge of assembling the team that will play in the World Championships this summer, potentially another qualifying tournament in the summer of 2007 and in the Olympics in 2008.

Colangelo said he planned to speak to Billups today. The only concern is a possible conflict this summer. Billups' wife, Piper, is expecting to deliver their third child in July or August.

"Would we be flexible with him as far as the pregnancy, absolutely," Colangelo said. "We just need to talk and work out the circumstances."

Billups, who took treatment on his bruised left thigh before flying to New Jersey where he is expected to play against the Nets tonight, declined to comment.

Colangelo said he was also waiting to hear from Tayshaun Prince and Richard Hamilton.

Kobe Bryant and LeBron James already have committed to the team. Shawn Marion, Amare Stoudemire and Allen Iverson are also expected to commit.

Colangelo has said his initial targets for the point guard position were Billups and Jason Kidd. Kidd, who will be 35 in the summer of 2008, has met with Colangelo. He said he wanted to discuss at length with his family before making the commitment.

Other point guards being considered include Gilbert Arenas, Baron Davis, Steve Francis and Kirk Hinrich.

Colangelo is hoping to get final word from Elton Brand, Carmelo Anthony, Dwyane Wade, Shane Battier, Chris Bosh and Marcus Camby.

He hopes to announce the team during All-Star weekend, Feb. 18-19.

leemajors
01-31-2006, 11:26 AM
good idea, chauncey is a much better shooter than most of those others. i also think hinrich would be a good choice. francis and arenas aren't really pgs. hinrich and chauncey can set the table.

himat
01-31-2006, 03:45 PM
good idea, chauncey is a much better shooter than most of those others. i also think hinrich would be a good choice. francis and arenas aren't really pgs. hinrich and chauncey can set the table.

how about chauncey and nash? that would be good.

leemajors
01-31-2006, 03:49 PM
umm. nash is canadian.

SlasherX
01-31-2006, 04:17 PM
Chauncey's wife is expecting a child in the summer, and he's trying to figure out if he will be able to leave or if he should spend the time with his wife and his soon to be newborn.

z0sa
01-31-2006, 04:31 PM
If only Duncan would play for this team... this team really is going to dominate the way it is being built. Is Bowen going to be on or no?>

himat
01-31-2006, 04:35 PM
umm. nash is canadian.

thats right. i forgot about that. baron davis would not be bad

Pistons < Spurs
01-31-2006, 04:51 PM
I'm with leemajors. I'd love to see Chauncey and Hinrich for the Olympic team.

ducks
01-31-2006, 05:43 PM
chauncey will not play

picnroll
01-31-2006, 06:26 PM
Good. Hope all the Pistons commit and all the Spurs rest.

himat
01-31-2006, 06:29 PM
Good. Hope all the Pistons commit and all the Spurs rest.

come on man it will work both ways. the pistons might be a little more tired, but the pistons will be more ready for the season if that happens. Team usa should just be the best pistons and spurs.

timvp
01-31-2006, 07:31 PM
Billups' wife, Piper, is expecting to deliver their third child in July or August.

:lmao

Piper?

E20
01-31-2006, 07:36 PM
Rowdy Rowdy Piper.